Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morpeth Roll

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

i see a william egar on there, is there any way to figure out where hes from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 deadpan

The Morpeth Roll will be on exhibition in Derrynane House (home of Daniel O'Connell) from the 21st of May to the 30th of June 2013.
    Are there any
    Cahill/Cahil
    Higgins.
    Donoghue/
    from Valentia/Valencia Island.
    Dennehy from Coad, Caherdaniel
    Egan from Aghatubrid.
    If you do look them up I would be most grateful.
    Many thanks.
    Deadpan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Deadpan, check out this post and see if you can locate the name of the PP for the areas that you are interested in. Otherwise it's almost impossible to link a name to a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 deadpan

Many thanks for your assistance.
    Derrynane, Cahersiven, Parish Priest Pat O'Connell - searching for Dennehy in that area.

Valencia, Parish Priest, Thomas McGinn - searching for Cahil/Cahill; Higgins; Donoghue.

Cahersiven, Parish Priest Edm Fitzgerald; Curate Flor McCarthy - searching for Egan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JoeHeavener

The Morpeth Roll has just come to my attention! My family name is Heavener,( or Hevener, Heavenor and other variations of the same). They were Palatines and lived in Co Limerick. Mostly in and around the Palaskenry area. Parish of Ardcanny. I wonder if any Hevenor appears on the Morpeth Roll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

The Morpeth Roll has just come to my attention! My family name is Heavener,( or Hevener, Heavenor and other variations of the same). They were Palatines and lived in Co Limerick. Mostly in and around the Palaskenry area. Parish of Ardcanny. I wonder if any Hevenor appears on the Morpeth Roll?

I tried all the variations you gave, and even put Palaskenry in, but no joy I'm afraid.

p.s. loads of Hevenor in the 1940 US census

I presume you know the following..

Name:
    John Hevenor

Birth Date:
    4 Jun 1795

Age at Death:

Death Date:
    13 May 1878

Burial Place:
    Pallaskenry, County Limerick, Ireland

Name:
    Lilly Cooper Hevenor

Birth Date:

Age at Death:

Death Date:
    22 Mar 1881

Burial Place:

Name:
    Richard Hevenor

Birth Date:

Age at Death:

Death Date:

Burial Place:

John Hevenor
    Birth 4 Jun 1795 in Ballidool, Ardcanny, Limerick, Ireland Death 13 May 1878 in Shannongrove, Pallaskenry Co Limerick, Ireland

Henry Heavener
    Birth 1781 in Ballidool, Ardcanny, Co. Limerick, Ireland

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/16736567/person/1715390096

• Registered Users Posts: 1 edscout

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Surname is Beegan if someone wouldn't mind having a go. We are few and far between so probably won't be there anyway.

I have been researching the Beegan Family. All the Beegans in Limerick are decended from Martin Beegan (late of the R.I.C.)....I noticed "Jacobyte" might have some interest in the family. He can contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

spuncy wrote: »

Anyone else have any luck finding the signature of their ancestors?
    mod9maple wrote: »
    Some useful advice I found in a comment section on an article about the Roll (Catharine Green, Journal.ie online):

"One key to the signers’ location is that the pages are often started off by the signatures of the P.P. (parish priest) and curate.

I've been thinking about the Morpeth roll since this thread popped back up. How many of us find certs after 1864 marked with an 'X' instead of a signature? Given that fact, how many men could sign their own name in 1841? Not many I'd suggest, not the tenant farmers anyway. If you find an ancestors name, it's cool to see his own handwriting but also proves he could write. Surely only those who had some means could do so? Write I mean, were educated. Or am I wrong?

As for the search tip about the PPs - surely other, let's call them VIPs for the sake of this thread, would have headed the signatures for each area. Examples might include a local magistrate, or a landowner, or some other bigwig. Any other suggestions? That might also point the way to which particular ancestor of the more than one called AN Other is yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I checked our family names on the Morpeth Roll. Didn't find my own people but those that signed might have been earlier members of our family, I can't say for sure without addresses or other identifying information. Just perusing the pages I did notice on one page at least twenty-three different names written in the same handwriting so either one person wrote the names of those who couldn't write or it may have been someone writing the names of their tenants or staff. I doubt anyone would have written fictitious names just to increase the numbers, or would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irishgrrl

I have just come across this board while "surfing" google looking for any item i might be lucky enough to find for my gt gt grandfather. There was a Patrick Bridgman on the Morpeth Roll but i do not have an Ancestry subscription. Would be ever so greatful if someone could find his name there and any info with it. Many thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Unfortunately there is no other information next to his name or indeed any of the names signed on that page.
    I'm not sure if it's against Boards rules but I'll post that bit of the image here and it can be removed if needs be.

Is it Bridgeman's from Dublin or Limerick that interests you?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irishgrrl

Many thanks Hermy. Great to see the image. It is the Bridg(e)man family from Limerick that mainly interests me, but wondering if the Dublin lot are any connection. That will be a research later down the track for me until i have exhausted all the avenues for the Limerick lot. At this stage they seem to be around Askeaton, Kilcornan & Stonehall (possibly Cowpark) Ballyhahill, Finnoo (often spelt in varying ways) Whiskey Hall (which I think is a part of Ballyhahill), Knocknaboula, Loghill. Other areas that have come up are Robertstown, Shanagolden, Barracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wexflyer

Contrary to what some have said, I think you can successfully identify locations, at the parish level, if you are familiar with other names in the same locality. The petition was clearly organized by (Catholic) parish, and tonight I came up with at least 6 family members without too much difficulty.

Finding William Potts was easy - only person of the name in the index. Of Our Lady's Island, and a good decent United Irishman, on record as being "out" in '98 with his Queen Anne gun. But having found William, I also found multiple others - at least two of the next three signatures are also relatives, and maybe all three, as well as some others on the same page.

A different example was some Brennans of the parish of Glynn - lots of Brennans in the index, so how to find my particular lot? Well, they had the good fortune to have a neighbor by the name of Valentine Franklin. It was easy-peasy to find him, and presto, there on the same page was my great-great-grandfathers signature, along with either his brother's or father's. If one of the John Brennan signatures is that of his father, then it is that of a blacksmith who made the pikes for the United Irishmen in '98. In any case, the trick will be to find other easily identifiable local names, such as that of Valentine Franklin, to use for other locations.

Finally, I will comment that many of the Wexford contributions are readily identifiable as being from Wexford, due to unique combinations of local surnames (e.g. Waddy, Hore, Lambert, Howlin, Sinnott, Hayes, etc. etc. etc.) - When you see large numbers of such surnames, it is Wexford for certain!

Advertisement