Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oscars 2015

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This is awful, yet another ad break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I hope I am getting this right... But isn't it a bit of a punch in the face for Ben Affleck at presenting the Directing Oscar when he was snubbed for Argo?! He just seemed a bit pissed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

leahyl wrote: »
    This is awful, yet another ad break

Yeah I am not watching this again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Tasden wrote: »
    I loved every single thing about his speech :) genuine appreciation and happiness, was lovely

I saw him interviewed after the show last night and he said he always told himself if he ever found himself in front of an audience he'd pass that message on but he never expected it to be at the Oscars and there was a moment where he was wondering if he should actually say it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I saw him interviewed after the show last night and he said he always told himself if he ever found himself in front of an audience he'd pass that message on but he never expected it to be at the Oscars and there was a moment where he was wondering if he should actually say it or not.

Oh well now you've done it, I'm in love :o fair play to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Oh jeez and eddie redmayne now :o lovely to see them so happy and grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

shalalala wrote: »
    I hope I am getting this right... But isn't it a bit of a punch in the face for Ben Affleck at presenting the Directing Oscar when he was snubbed for Argo?! He just seemed a bit pissed

But didn't it win best picture? You can hardly say snubbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

SarahBM wrote: »
    But didn't it win best picture? You can hardly say snubbed.

It did but there was a huge thing about him not winning or even getting nominated for director, especially as he starred in it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I have it recorded. The fast-forward button is about to get its annual hammering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was getting into Glory as the rest of the nominees for best song I thought were outstanding getting nominated for this year's award.

Just as I was seeing Glory I thought I had a good feeling that it would win the Oscar. Then RTE cut it off and I'm just sitting there been raging in missing it. Youtube will give me that verdict when that time will come.

I can tell you a few things about Birdman though. I saw that movie in the cinema a day after my 25th birthday last month and I thought it was a good movie. My mam on the other hand thought it was crap though. I am genuinely surprised that this movie has won so many good awards over the past month or so up to when these awards were on last night.

Sky Living doing a much better job of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

It's worth downloading the full show if only to skip to the performances of Glory and Lady Gaga's Sound of Music tribute . I must say I was amazed by the quality of her voice. RTE 's edited package was pretty shambolic, whoever was responsible for that needs a career change. I suspect the academy itself edited out Sean penns gaffe when he announced the best picture winner. Red faces all around there for sure.

I suspect the academy itself edited out Sean penns gaffe when he announced the best picture winner. Red faces all around there for sure.

It was a joke. Penn and Whatshisname are good friends.

It was a joke. Penn and Whatshisname are good friends.
    yeah Penn made that clear later on but it was still chopped, the academy likes everyone to stick to the script. Mr Penn may not present again for quite a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Caprica

The RTE coverage was appalling, why was there so many ad breaks. They cut out two of the best music performances I have seen on the Oscar stage. Caught both of them on YouTube, the crowd were on their feet for both. It was a nice touch to have Julie Andrews come on stage to present afterwards.

I was very impressed with Commons acceptance speech. There was a bit of fire/spark in a lot of the speeches. I found John Travolta a bit cringey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Caprica wrote: »
    I found John Travolta a bit cringey.

Pretty much everyone except John Travolta finds John Travolta a bit cringey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

No one has ever heard or spoken of The Hurt Locker since it won! Until this post ;)

& the last time a female director won it, but it hasn't done Jeremy Renner any harm
    elBootho wrote: »
    Some interesting results.

Birdman seems to controversial, a lot of people don't seem to get it. Citizen Four for best documentary is interesting. Saw it last week, very well made.

I see in the tv guide, it's on Wed - Ch4@11.05pm
    Eddie Redmayne is the most irritating person I've seen in the public eye for many a year.

He has the prince harry type punchable face.

So odds on which actors/actresses will have some form of disability or illness in their movies to help them blag an Oscar next year?

I take it you won't be watching Jupiter Ascending, i hear it's woeful :D
    RTE didn't show the song named Glory as they blatantly cut it off with 5 minutes of ads during the Oscar Highlights. :mad:

Their unbelievable arrogance is now going to lead me to watch that song on Youtube instead of the added convenience of having it on our national broadcaster.

RTE = idiots. And we the idiots pay our licence fee and expect this type of ****e from them. RTE is gone to hell.

I was switching over between both & pretty sure it showed it on sky living,
    Sky Living doing a much better job of it.

Looks like a better packaged show than RTE got, but already saw the show this morning on skymovies, 30 day cancellation runs out soon, might as well use it this yr ;)

Apart from the predictable winners on the show bar Director+Picture, i was looking forward to NPH or 'Barney Stinson' as he's a colourful guy, as he opened up the show for Hugh Jackman a while back.

Great opening, but certainly lost his confidence a lot later when his gags fell flat & that's why i fell asleep for an hour & woke up near the end :o
    I also heard he had 25 writers for the show as well, better off having a comedian either Billy Crystal or let Tina&Amy do it :confused:;)

But one thing's for sure, plenty of controversy anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Maybe it's just because I'm politically minded, but cutting the appearance of Laura Poitras, Glenn Greenwald and Lindsay Mills accepting Best Documentary for Citizenfour seems absolutely ridiculous, considering how widely talked about the possibility of this film winning an Oscar was in the months leading up to the awards.

To anyone who watched it elsewhere, do you reckon Laura's quivering voice was nerves, excitement or surprise at having won? She's one of the most uber confident public speakers around, to see her in that awestruck state was pretty epic. Fair play to all involved, and if any of ye haven't seen the documentary I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

efb wrote: »
    The academy doesn't care. Give Cuba Gudding Jr a undeserved best supporting actor

Had to check it out there, Ed Norton in Primal Fear!!! Even William H. Macy in Fargo!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleepless and Manic

Maybe it's just because I'm politically minded, but cutting the appearance of Laura Poitras, Glenn Greenwald and Lindsay Mills accepting Best Documentary for Citizenfour seems absolutely ridiculous, considering how widely talked about the possibility of this film winning an Oscar was in the months leading up to the awards.

To anyone who watched it elsewhere, do you reckon Laura's quivering voice was nerves, excitement or surprise at having won? She's one of the most uber confident public speakers around, to see her in that awestruck state was pretty epic. Fair play to all involved, and if any of ye haven't seen the documentary I highly recommend it.

It was suprising to see Glenn Greenwald. I thought he was a wanted man in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Citizenfour airs on Channel 4 tomorrow night.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/citizenfour

Well worth the watch.

Citizenfour airs on Channel 4 tomorrow night.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/citizenfour

Well worth the watch.

Thanks, i should have highlighted it better above :)

The Academy must have been divided on American Sniper & Citizenfour considering how controversial both of them were.

Btw: I noticed Harold Ramis was missing from the In Memoriam segment, anyone else missing did they notice?

Thanks, i should have highlighted it better above :)

The Academy must have been divided on American Sniper & Citizenfour considering how controversial both of them were.

Btw: I noticed Harold Ramis was missing from the In Memoriam segment, anyone else missing did they notice?

Joan Rivers seems to have been omitted, her daughter had her say in the press today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Joan Rivers seems to have been omitted, her daughter had her say in the press today.

This was a big one, apparently they said they "couldn't fit her in"

Saint Joan will be haunting a few mansions in the Hollywood hills these nights then. Probably knock off their drinks cabinets while she's at it.

I just came across it here
    Even Marketing Executives got a mention,
    Joan Rivers could go under Visual Effects as she was a picture ;):rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Is anyone getting tired of the increasing politicisation of the Oscars? We live in a 24 hour news cycle and people who want to watch it want to get a break from life in general. Isn't that why we go to the movies in the first place? Yet it seems every year it gets worse. Like how many causes were advocated on Sunday night? About 5-6 by my count, they just get drowned out anyway by the who said what and who wore what comments after by people who just want to sell magazines and gossip column inches.

The Oscar's has been pretty bad recently. NPH was the best thing about it and yet even he seemed shackled by the event. It just doesn't seem to work anymore.

jank wrote: »
    Is anyone getting tired of the increasing politicisation of the Oscars? We live in a 24 hour news cycle and people who want to watch it want to get a break from life in general. Isn't that why we go to the movies in the first place? Yet it seems every year it gets worse. Like how many causes were advocated on Sunday night? About 5-6 by my count, they just get drowned out anyway by the who said what and who wore what comments after by people who just want to sell magazines and gossip column inches.

The Oscar's has been pretty bad recently. NPH was the best thing about it and yet even he seemed shackled by the event. It just doesn't seem to work anymore.

I think the fact that everyone pays as much attention to the other awards now as they do to the Oscars they've lost their status a bit. Also with all the access to endless coverage and discussion everything is dissected to death before any awards are even given out. Also with better access to more films, streaming, better selection at cinemas, people are more aware of the fact that the Oscars aren't always awarding the best films. By the time the Oscars come around now we already know 99% of who is going to win, we've heard everything that the winners have to say, we've seen them in their fancy tuxes and dresses for weeks before.

The powers that be seem to be scrambling to make their awards relevant again and seem to think musical numbers and "comedy" bits are the way to go. Personally I think they need to shake up their members and get a bit more variety in there. Leaving aside the gender/race imbalance and just speaking in general. Most of the nominated films are from a 3 month period of time. They need to broaden their horizon a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Leaving aside the gender/race imbalance and just speaking in general. Most of the nominated films are from a 3 month period of time. They need to broaden their horizon a bit.

the nominated films are all released in a 3 month period by design, the best thing about the acdemy is that anyone in the industry can join it, all they have to do is apply, there are 7000 members, i keep hearing its predominantly old white guys that vote most, but i find that hard to believe, and if it is true then the younger generation only have themselves to blame,

goerge lucas was cribbing and moaning a few weeks back, but then admits hes not an academy member, which nullifies anything he says, he complains about the lack of diversity yet does noting about it, im sure i made a point earlier in this thread that someone like tyler perry could get everyone he ever worked with or for to become an academy member then he could influence the vote and maybe get himself nominated or win one, its all numbers,

there are plenty of diverse films out there, more than has ever been at any other time in the history of film making, be it black, white, maxican, asian, etc, etc, so i call bull**** on this so called exclusion of other films, if you didnt make it in, then you didnt make it in, its not like it makes your film any more or less relevant to what you set out to make, and it just looks like sour grapes when they complain,

^ You have to be invited to join the Academy. It's not just a free for all kind of thing.

The fact that the films are released in that three month period deliberately proves my point.

You should read the interviews the Hollywood Reporter did with random Academy members under the strict assurance they'd be anonymous. Pretty revealing as to how some of their minds work.

• Advertisement

You're eligible for admission to the 7000 strong academy if you get a nomination. Or if a current member proposes you. Membership is for life. So if you were up for a gong in 1936 and are currently in a nursing home on life support in Santa Monica you are still a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

This was a big one, apparently they said they "couldn't fit her in"
    Wasn't exactly in a load of movies though, was she? Just looked at IMDB and they have 38 appearances which includes all the voice work for cartoons. She was a comedienne rather than an actress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They cut best documentary feature? God almighty. :mad:

I noticed that in the one pager in the Indo on the Oscars (probably pulled from a wire) they didn't include Best Documentary in the abbreviated 'main awards' table. Maybe I'm crazy but it's one of the key awards for me. You got best film / best director / acting gongs / writing gongs / best documentary / the rest

Am I wrong in that?

^ You have to be invited to join the Academy. It's not just a free for all kind of thing.

The fact that the films are released in that three month period deliberately proves my point.

You should read the interviews the Hollywood Reporter did with random Academy members under the strict assurance they'd be anonymous. Pretty revealing as to how some of their minds work.

i didnt know you needed to be nominated, but surely youd think it would still be fairly diverse these days, jennifer lawrence is a member, and shes only 25, i read an interview about her watching her oscars DVDs over christmas with the family a year or two ago, i wonder what the criteria is (getting nominated), and if you do get your name put forward are you automatically in,

don ramo wrote: »
    i didnt know you needed to be nominated, but surely youd think it would still be fairly diverse these days, jennifer lawrence is a member, and shes only 25, i read an interview about her watching her oscars DVDs over christmas with the family a year or two ago, i wonder what the criteria is (getting nominated), and if you do get your name put forward are you automatically in,

You have to get nominated by two branch members of whichever branch you're applying for, so like writers, directors etc. The Branch committees then review it and decide if they'll put the person forward and if they do they are again assessed by the Board of Governors who decide whether you get in or not. There is only one review every year, usually around March, presumably to include that year's awards people.

You are automatically put forward if you get an actual Awards nomination but still have to be accepted by the board of Governors. I assume they accept everyone who comes through that way but I don't know.

The more recent additions, through the Awards, are probably making it more diverse but as someone pointed out earlier it's a lifelong thing so you've still potentially got people who were winning/nominated back in the 40's and 50's voting for things. Also how many new people actually get in through the awards each year? Jennifer Lawrence would have been a member since 2011 when she was nominated for Winter's Bone so the year she won she was already a member. How many of this years nominees and winners would already have been members? Point being there isn't automatically an influx of 100 or so people every year just off the back of the awards.

You have to get nominated by two branch members of whichever branch you're applying for, so like writers, directors etc. The Branch committees then review it and decide if they'll put the person forward and if they do they are again assessed by the Board of Governors who decide whether you get in or not. There is only one review every year, usually around March, presumably to include that year's awards people.

You are automatically put forward if you get an actual Awards nomination but still have to be accepted by the board of Governors. I assume they accept everyone who comes through that way but I don't know.

The more recent additions, through the Awards, are probably making it more diverse but as someone pointed out earlier it's a lifelong thing so you've still potentially got people who were winning/nominated back in the 40's and 50's voting for things. Also how many new people actually get in through the awards each year? Jennifer Lawrence would have been a member since 2011 when she was nominated for Winter's Bone so the year she won she was already a member. How many of this years nominees and winners would already have been members? Point being there isn't automatically an influx of 100 or so people every year just off the back of the awards.

interesting alright, suppose meryl streep only gets one vote:D,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,568 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's worth downloading the full show if only to skip to the performances of Glory and Lady Gaga's Sound of Music tribute . I must say I was amazed by the quality of her voice. RTE 's edited package was pretty shambolic, whoever was responsible for that needs a career change. I suspect the academy itself edited out Sean penns gaffe when he announced the best picture winner. Red faces all around there for sure.

Gaga's performance was amazeballs super good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It was suprising to see Glenn Greenwald. I thought he was a wanted man in the US.

Nah only in the UK. For all the US' incredible violations of civil liberties, they still respect journalistic freedom of speech to some degree. I expect they're only a few years behind the UK in this regard though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

I can't be the only one of hates the smug, self-congratulatory ripple of laughter you hear right after they play a 'funny' clip from one of the nominated films, can I?

• Advertisement
Advertisement