Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus EEE-PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I was looking at 2GB one. Is the 4GB one better value?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dman001 wrote:
    I was looking at 2GB one. Is the 4GB one better value?

Just had a look at the two websites- Expansys is now quoting the 4Gb white PC701 one at 324.95 which is actually cheaper than the laptopsdirect PC701 one at 343.85

So- expansys is actually fully 20 quid cheaper even when you factor in shipping.

Personally I wouldn't even consider the 2Gb one- as if you're using it at all, your Firefox cache would have to be refreshed at unusually frequent intervals. 2Gb is very very small for an SSD device.

S.

Can the eeepc play web flash videos?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dman001 wrote: »
    Can the eeepc play web flash videos?

it sure can

Is it worth installing Windows onto it?

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote:
    Is it worth installing Windows onto it?

The screen size isn't a standard windows supported size- but there is no reason that Windows wouldn't be installed- Asus are starting to ship them with XP after all. Some of the user forums are worried about Windows lowering the life of the SSD- but its hypothetical tbh. You can download a programme for cutting out the bloat from XP if you'd like to upgrade it yourself (and the installation CD has all the Windows drivers- so you're sorted).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Any ideas where i could buy a charger for one, going over to us next week and can pick one up for around 200 euro, I assume asus warrenty is international?Also how do you going about mounting an ex hard drive?

Any ideas where i could buy a charger for one, going over to us next week and can pick one up for around 200 euro, I assume asus warrenty is international?Also how do you going about mounting an ex hard drive?

Any universal DC Power adaptor will do. It runs off 9.5 volts DC and has a bog standard narrow adaptor head. You can pick one up in Peats or Maplins for about 20 quid.

Shane

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have an order on the eeepc with expansys, and have been waiting for 5 or 6 weeks, how have they not gotten any into stock when laptops direct have gotten two shipments in? There are some in stock at the moment with laptops direct, i'm so tempted to cancel my expansys order, i mean it's just getting ridiculous!

I have an order on the eeepc with expansys, and have been waiting for 5 or 6 weeks, how have they not gotten any into stock when laptops direct have gotten two shipments in? There are some in stock at the moment with laptops direct, i'm so tempted to cancel my expansys order, i mean it's just getting ridiculous!

Its annoying- but its a reflection of how much these are in demand more than anything else. Personally I stuck with Expansys- from prior experience with Laptopsdirect, I'd be very hesitant doing business with them again, irrespective of whether they have them in stock or not. I think Expansys are quoting the 9th of January for their next expected shipment?

• Advertisement

The next shipment is due on the 9th so it is. I'm going to be patient and wait but if this shipment falls through i'll be V.pissed off. Thanks for the reply.
    Cheers,
    Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Is the 4GB version available in offline stores anywhere?

Any idea when the 8GB version will be on sale?

Trojan wrote: »
    Is the 4GB version available in offline stores anywhere?

Any idea when the 8GB version will be on sale?

The 8Gb version is available online (if you're willing to trust ordering from Hongkong)- so I imagine it will be here imminently.

The 4Gb version is still unavailable offline- but the Laptop Shop on the top floor of the Stephen's Green shopping centre say they will have them shortly (whatever that means).

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

smccarrick wrote: »
    The 8Gb version is available online (if you're willing to trust ordering from Hongkong)- so I imagine it will be here imminently.

The 4Gb version is still unavailable offline- but the Laptop Shop on the top floor of the Stephen's Green shopping centre say they will have them shortly (whatever that means).

Shane
    They the same guys that have a place in Dundrum Shopping Centre?

And I don't suppose you know what price they want for the 4G machine? I would like to buy one myself, but I want to touch and feel it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

sliabh wrote: »
    I want to touch and feel it first.

Dont we all!

majiktripp wrote: »
    Dont we all!

Hahahaha, Classic.
    Expansys should finally get the eee in tomorrow, here's hoping they do and i get it on friday:)

Yeah. Laptopsdirect just got them in so i ordered with them. This ****e with expansys is getting ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Does anyone know for definate whether or not the laptop shop in Stephens Green centre has any of these? Making the trip to the big city and was wondering if I could cast a glance over one first hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I see they confirmed an 8 inch and 8.9 inch model for later this year. Hopefully not too much more expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Bigger screen, but same resolution, so not much better. I would prefer something more than 800 x 600.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can't believe no one posted any pictured of their machines? :( Thinking of one of these myself. Kinda like a bigger screen though.

The 4Gb version is still unavailable offline- but the Laptop Shop on the top floor of the Stephen's Green shopping centre say they will have them shortly

Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, last time I was in there the staff were unhelpful and overcharged me €15 quid.

I certainly would be willing. Only problem is Customs & Excise.

Trojan wrote: »
    I certainly would be willing. Only problem is Customs & Excise.

Most of them package it up as a "present" and put zero value on the customs declaration label. Unethical as hell, and you are still liable to get stung for customs and excise and VAT on it- but thats what they do. I got nobbled with silly valuations on a couple of UHF transmitters (along with a handwritten note about how I might like to apply to Comreg for a licence......)

Just got a call from laptops direct my eee pc should arrive tomorrow!:D about fecking time, i see that expansys are now saying another 6 days until they tell you they can't source them:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Expansys handled this so badly. I have ordered 3 more EEEs in the space of a month from laptopsdirect and they have all arrived ever before expansys could even tell you when they had a source. Congratz on finally getting one Alan ^.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Expansys handled this so badly. I have ordered 3 more EEEs in the space of a month from laptopsdirect and they have all arrived ever before expansys could even tell you when they had a source. Congratz on finally getting one Alan ^.

Yeah i know, i can't understand how laptops direct seem to get an almost steady supply of them in, like once every 2 weeks or so, and expansys haven't gotten any since mid November. And laptopsdirect still have loads in stock by the looks of things if anyone wants to cancel orders from expansys. Can't wait to finally get one. I mean it was supposed to be a Christmas present from my 'rents.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Laptopsdirect.ie is saying out of stock for the 4G black model. Wouldnt bother with anything lower because, if I've heard correctly, the ram is either soldered in or inaccessible. And I dont really like the contrast between the white case and the black screen bezel on the white model.

Swap the 512mb ram with either 1 or 2 gig when the time comes, and install XP. Should be a nice little machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Got mine yesterday after ordering off ebay on friday. Its very small but very cool! Spent today getting rid of "Easy Mode" for a proper desktop and installing zsnes. Happy days :D Only problem is some of "shift+key" combinations give the wrong result. eg shift+2 gives @ instead of " so I cant figure out how to get a pound symbol or a euro one or that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

Adyx wrote: »
    Got mine yesterday after ordering off ebay on friday. Its very small but very cool! Spent today getting rid of "Easy Mode" for a proper desktop and installing zsnes. Happy days :D Only problem is some of "shift+key" combinations give the wrong result. eg shift+2 gives @ instead of " so I cant figure out how to get a pound symbol or a euro one or that matter.

You've your keyboard on american configuration? Just go into control panel and change it to irish!

Advertisement