Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice: new bike, new kit, new...

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That Planet X is spectacular value, although it is sold out in all sizes at the moment. The Canyon isn't Di2, although there is a link later on to a Di2 alu frame bike for 2k.

To be honest, though, it's very much a personal decision for the OP. I understand the desire to buy the best bike your money can get you, but it's not always feasible or wise for someone to do that.

If it's not feasible them it's not within budget. Get me? I'm not telling anyone to overspend.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭pjq

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation, borrowing my Brother's bike for the past year .....

The OP asked about pedals / shoes , any comments?
    I was looking at combination pedals ( one side for ordinary commuteing shoes) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-combination-pedals/ or http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-easy-pedals/ from a previous post here. How much of the budget to spend on pedals and shoes?
    And then the shoes, will I need winter and summer shoes? can they be bought on-line or is it better to try on in a shop?

As I said , I'm in a similar situation, but not identical! I should stay within a budget of €1k , and when I deduct the extra cost of pedals, cleats, shoes, mudguards, lights, etc ,, can anybody recommend the next step down from the bikes already recommended?

How to justify splashing out an a Canyon? can anybody give me an idea of the resale value of a well maintained Canyon Roadlite after say 3 years? I did try looking it up but am not sure I'm comparing like with like.

Thanks in Advance for any advice , this thread sorted me on the question of gears already.
    pjq

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

pjq wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in a similar situation, borrowing my Brother's bike for the past year .....

The OP asked about pedals / shoes , any comments?
    I was looking at combination pedals ( one side for ordinary commuteing shoes) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-combination-pedals/ or http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-easy-pedals/ from a previous post here. How much of the budget to spend on pedals and shoes?
    And then the shoes, will I need winter and summer shoes? can they be bought on-line or is it better to try on in a shop?

As I said , I'm in a similar situation, but not identical! I should stay within a budget of €1k , and when I deduct the extra cost of pedals, cleats, shoes, mudguards, lights, etc ,, can anybody recommend the next step down from the bikes already recommended?

How to justify splashing out an a Canyon? can anybody give me an idea of the resale value of a well maintained Canyon Roadlite after say 3 years? I did try looking it up but am not sure I'm comparing like with like.

Thanks in Advance for any advice , this thread sorted me on the question of gears already.
    pjq

Be careful buying shoes online. I've ah some bad experiences. I have wide feet though. As for pedals, Look Keo are fine. I like speed play zeros.

Pedals are definitely something I'd buy 2nd hand to start out. I'm selling look Keo classics if you're interested.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Here's some things that I kind of knew I'd need but managed to mysteriously squeeze out of my budget plan:
    Track pump ~ €40 and up for one that will last
    mini pump ~ €25 and up
    CO2 inflator ~ €15 and up
    CO2 refills ~ €15
    Saddle bag ~ €20 and up for a 'no cringe' model
    Two spare tubes ~ €10 and up
    Bottle cages ~ €15 and up
    2 x Camelback insulated bottles ~ €34
    Bike computer ~ €30
    Slightly better Bike Computer ~ €90
    GPS Bike Computer with HRM and Cadence ~ €160 and up
    Cycling jerseys ~ €150 for a good one and two cheap/sale ones
    Cycling Shorts ~ €80 for one good pair or two ok pairs
    Arm Warmers ~ €25
    Leg Warmers ~ €25
    Helmet ~ €70 and up for 'no cringe' models
    Glasses ~ €4 for Lidl/Aldi's
    Gloves ~ €5 for Lidl/Aldi
    Full Finger Gloves ~ €20
    Lubes and cleaning products ~ €30 and up
    Lights ~ €30 and up for front and back
    Proper Bike Fit ~ €90 and up

My advice, don't max out your budget on the very best bike you can possibly stretch to but which offers no real advantage outside actual competitive events. Just get a bike you would look forward to using.

I bought an aluminium frame with carbon forks and Ultegra shifters and gears. My needs are for fitness and possible sportive events.

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    My advice, don't max out your budget on the very best bike you can possibly stretch to but which offers no real advantage outside actual competitive events. Just get a bike you would look forward to using.

I bought an aluminium frame with carbon forks and Ultegra shifters and gears. My needs are for fitness and possible sportive events.
    +1

For me I'd only consider carbon if I had run out of pounds to shift off myself (still work to do in that department!) and even then I think the benefits for me would be marginal. That said, I think we all know people who are winning races and setting KOMs on old alloy beaters. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement