Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medtronic/Cregg

Options
  • 20-08-2011 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Anybody know what the Medtronic/Cregg Assessment is like?
    Does anyone know what the weekend shift hours are?
    What would be the best shift for job security?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The assessment is a psychometric assessment. A load of ol bollocks.

The weekend shift is 36 hours over Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Nights I think they're recruiting for at the moment.

The jobs are for one area and a short term production ramp up. You could be lucky and kept longer but I'd say the vast majority will be for the fixed term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

I know somebody who is emloyed by Cregg for a while now and this person told me this is very very unfair how people employed by cregg are treated in comparison to Medtronic employees, they dont gert annual bonuses and they do the same job under even more pressure (they have to try harder etc, take more overtimes). I know its better then nothing and if they can employ more people this way -thats fine, but still seems not to be fair.
    -also you can be told your job is over every Friday -that is very wrong Cregg!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inkwell wrote: »
    I know somebody who is emloyed by Cregg for a while now and this person told me this is very very unfair how people employed by cregg are treated in comparison to Medtronic employees, they dont gert annual bonuses and they do the same job under even more pressure (they have to try harder etc, take more overtimes). I know its better then nothing and if they can employ more people this way -thats fine, but still seems not to be fair.
    -also you can be told your job is over every Friday -that is very wrong Cregg!

That is simply the reality of being an agency worker in a multi-national.

It's not the agency's fault (Cregg): the government allows this sort of employment arrangement here - and the multinationals want it because it lets them match workforce with requirements very easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ecclescake

Thanks Guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

what kind of pay would you be on for this job...would it be minimum ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

i think its about 9.50ph 20% shift allowance for later shifts. medtronic dont hire manufacturing staff themselves anymore its always cregg. they are hiring for weekend shift. i know cregg people there for 3 years but they could be let go tomorrow without any notice

JustMary wrote: »
    That is simply the reality of being an agency worker in a multi-national.

It's not the agency's fault (Cregg): the government allows this sort of employment arrangement here - and the multinationals want it because it lets them match workforce with requirements very easily.

It doesnt mean it's fair, because everyone would not feel good about doing the same job what person next to you and beeing treated in a different way.

i think its about 9.50ph 20% shift allowance for later shifts. medtronic dont hire manufacturing staff themselves anymore its always cregg. they are hiring for weekend shift. i know cregg people there for 3 years but they could be let go tomorrow without any notice

Its almost 15 per hour after few moths and overtimes are double this I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

I have been working for Medtronic for over 5 years now and I really like it there. I am on evening shift and I get 13.85 an hour and 20% shift allowance.

I have many friends within the company both Medtronic and Cregg and although I do feel sorry for some of the treatment that Cregg staff recieve, they all should understand that they will be let go at a moments notice.
    Its the nature of the beast.

They are employed by Cregg and as such are not entitled to any of the `extras`
    that Medtronic employees are.

The positions that are available at the moment are for weekend shift and there are 12 hour shifts as a previous poster mentioned.

scrubber72 wrote: »
    I do feel sorry for some of the treatment that Cregg staff recieve, they all should understand that they will be let go at a moments notice.

Does it make any sense? :rolleyes: They should understand? Whats here to understand? They know all of it for sure, but they dont have to like it!
    Just because you were lucky enough to be employed earlier by Medtronic, you dont have to tell people they should "understand"... :pac:
    It's just not fair and thats it and they can't expect people to be commited to this job or feel comfortable-nobody would!

• Advertisement

It doesnt mean it's fair, because everyone would not feel good about doing the same job what person next to you and beeing treated in a different way.

Who ever said that life was fair :rolleyes:

It is totally normally for two people doing (apparently) the same job to receiving different amounts of money, or indeed have different employment conditions. Think about the difference between a teacher with ten years service, and one in the next classroom with two years service - I'll bet my bottom dollar that the one with more service will be paid more, and that 99.9% of teachers will believe that's right.

Note my use of the word "apparently": agency workers do what they're being paid to do on this gig. Company workers do what's best for the company.

Right or not, this sort of flexibility is what the multi-nationals want, and it's what the Irish govt will make sure they keep getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ecclescake

scrubber72 wrote: »
    I have been working for Medtronic for over 5 years now and I really like it there. I am on evening shift and I get 13.85 an hour and 20% shift allowance.

I have many friends within the company both Medtronic and Cregg and although I do feel sorry for some of the treatment that Cregg staff recieve, they all should understand that they will be let go at a moments notice.
    Its the nature of the beast.

The positions that are available at the moment are for weekend shift and there are 12 hour shifts as a previous poster mentioned.

Is the weekend shift Fri/Sat/Sun?

Who ever said that life was fair :rolleyes:

Thats people who make life unfair and its not "totally normal" for two people doing the same job to be treated i a different way.
    Sorry, but with your way of thinking there would be no change for good anywhere, we would be still in middleages... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Even though the job may be the same the two people doing it will be very different.

Even though the job may be the same the two people doing it will be very different.

Yes, with few hundred employees from both Cregg and Medtronic - all Medtronic people are working better and deserve better treatment. I very much doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Destroyer666

Thats the way all these companys are going it would seem, still Id rather a **** job than no job at all but totally agree about all employees being treated the same. In my opinion having different standard for employees doing the same job just creates division and a bad working enviroment.

I will only add - I uderstand that maybe if those big companies wouldnt be able to employ people on "week to week" contracts they wouldn't be able to employ them at all and its good enough they can create many temporary positions, but they should at least get the same bouses etc!
    -and if job lasts for over a year, this person should get a proper contract and be full time employee.

-and if job lasts for over a year, this person should get a proper contract and be full time employee.

Irish employment law currently says that if you are in an unbroken series of fixed term contracts for four years, you are entitled to a contract of indefinite duration.

It also says that everyone has to have a "proper" contract, and that you cannot discriminate on age, sex, disability, and a few other things.

But it does not say that all employees need to be treated the same. Neither does it say that all employees need to be full time (ie work 30 / 35 / 37 /40/ whatever hours per week) or permanent (ie have the right to stay in a job as long as they want).

If you think this is wrong, lobby your TD to have the law changed. But be aware that the multi-nationals, who have a lot of power in the Irish economy, will not agree with you.

Do you really belive THE LAW is always right? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Anyone know if they are still taking applications for these shifts? Where do you apply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

What do you do in the night shift. What are the interviews like. Theres loads around my area that work in medtrionic. Can you move up the ladder too higher position over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

sent off my c.v.....no reply...anyone recieve a call from them ?? :confused:

Do you really belive THE LAW is always right? :rolleyes:

Of course not. But that's irrelevant. This is a thread about medtronic / cregg, and their jobs. Right or wrong, employment law is what controls their jobs. Employment law is what says you have to be there 4 years to get a "permanent" contract out of Cregg, and that before that they can have you on short duration contracts. If you don't like that law, you know who to talk to.

Employment law is what says you have to be there 4 years to get a "permanent" contract out of Cregg, and that before that they can have you on short duration contracts. .

How is this irrelevant? You are talking about obvious facts - (the law etc) and I am talking about what I think about it. There is no need to inform anybody about the law. Did you think I thought they brake the law? I know it's all legal - I just said I dont like it and I dont think its fair!
    You are one of those people with what I call "sheep" personality. Somebody will tell you " thats the law" and you will say " ok, I see"..

trepasers wrote: »
    sent off my c.v.....no reply...anyone recieve a call from them ?? :confused:

Yeah, its like Lotto , they may call you tomorrow, they may not call you at all. Very polite and professional indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

A lot of misinformation in this thread.

First off, the weekend shift is only saturday and sunday 7am-7pm. The three day shift is a Boston Scientific shift.

Second, the test isn't bollocks considering 200 people turn up in a hotel hall and only 40 people get the job, so take it seriously.

There is also a new shift that was created, which is 48 hours one week ( 4 x 12 hours ) and then 36 hours the following week ( 3 x 12 hours )
    for big bucks.

Also, just announced, people who work with Cregg for 1 year, are now being offered temporary Medtronic contracts, and legally after 6 months to a year, if you have been on time for work etc, you will receieve a full time medtronic contract.

I've worked in many places around town, including Boston, and I can safely say Medtronic is the best so far. Working the weekend shift, lovely people and good wages.

Also loads of opportunities, always looking for technicians, quality staff, trainers, supervisors, plenty of career chances if you keep your head down. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

-Vega- wrote: »
    A lot of misinformation in this thread.

First off, the weekend shift is only saturday and sunday 7am-7pm. The three day shift is a Boston Scientific shift.

Second, the test isn't bollocks considering 200 people turn up in a hotel hall and only 40 people get the job, so take it seriously.

There is also a new shift that was created, which is 48 hours one week ( 4 x 12 hours ) and then 36 hours the following week ( 3 x 12 hours )
    for big bucks.

Also, just announced, people who work with Cregg for 1 year, are now being offered temporary Medtronic contracts, and legally after 6 months to a year, if you have been on time for work etc, you will receieve a full time medtronic contract.

I've worked in many places around town, including Boston, and I can safely say Medtronic is the best so far. Working the weekend shift, lovely people and good wages.

Also loads of opportunities, always looking for technicians, quality staff, trainers, supervisors, plenty of career chances if you keep your head down. Good luck!

Yes i agree, alot of misinformation here.

I'm working there, and i cant see any cregg people being treated 'differently'. Those employed by cregg sign a contract and it states that they can let them go due to business needs.

Medtronic is a great company to work for, and plenty of opportunites for those who work well and have relevant qualifications for higher positions.

And they are making people who are working there over 2 years, medtronic employees. (but not 1 year employees)

And there is a 3 day and 2 day weekend shifts

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Can someone give me directions to medtronic please? Been trying to find it on google maps but to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

• Advertisement

Parkmore west layout map shows the location of all their buildings

Advertisement