Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario 64

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    It was extremely boring to play and nothing new. Meh I say.

My thoughts exactly. I just bored of SMG1 and didn't bother buying SMG2. Give me Super Mario 64 any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

I'll just leave this here, watched the 1st hour last night. Crazy amount of shortcuts without cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

It was amazing graphically and stylistically. It introduced some bold innovations in platform gaming but it came as a shock to me to be playing a Mario game where you're sometimes left to your own devices and have to explore and work out puzzles every so often. At the time that was a major shock to me in gaming terms. This new world Mario found himself in was cold. Still it is a great game but my favorite Mario game will always be Super Mario World on the SNES.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Chrizfitz wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here, watched the 1st hour last night. Crazy amount of shortcuts without cheating.

Very Impressive finishing time :)

EDIT : I could watch this all day, better than going to the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

never been a mario fan i was a sonic guy growing up but its a good platform never the less just not for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I don't understand you folks who emulate Mario 64 on your PCs with your high-def LCDs and expect it to look good.

It's a low-res game designed for CRT TVs.
    Play it on that.

still looks great on emulator with right settings =P

zwxhh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I absolutely love Super Mario 64 and I think it's aged extremely well, probably still my favourite of all the 3D Mario games. You just have so much control over your character... you get to fling him about the environments and kick him off of walls like a portly Italian ball of rubber, yet everything still feels so precise. I can't think of many other games where simply controlling your character is so enjoyable. No wonder you see so many parkour style Mario 64 free-running videos on YouTube.

It holds up well in other respects, too. It's a pleasant-looking game. It may be blocky, but the art assets are stylish and colourful enough that it's still charming. The music's delightful, too, especially the Slip Slidin' Away, Jolly Roger Bay and Bowser in the Dark World themes. Oh yes!

The only aspect that doesn't hold up quite as well are the water levels. While firing yourself into the water from a cannon on the other side of a level is great fun, the swimming feels a bit sluggish and the it's kind of a road block compared to bouncing and long-jumping and side-flicking your way around the game's other levels. It can be an enjoyable change of pace, but it might be jarring for some.

Anyway, it's a very fun game, and I'd recommend it highly. :)

I'd stay away from the DS port though, the controls just aren't as fluid without an analogue stick. Honestly, navigating a 3D environment using a directional pad, or a touch-screen with no tangible centre point? Not a good idea.

I have both the N64 and DS versions, have had the N64 version since launch. I still consider it to be the best 3D Mario game, while I have both Galaxy games I'm just not as set on them as I am with the older stuff. I think I just got cheesed off with "Luigi's Purple Coins" and ended up putting them both aside!

The idea of having a large area where you can mess around before getting into the nitty gritty was revolutionary at the time, in fact, SM64 set so many precedents for gaming as a whole, the idea of an analogue stick makes so much sense but hadn't been exploited before.

I much prefer the N64 version, the DS version just feels wrong with the D-pad and trying to tip-toe with the touch screen is just as wrong. If anyone hasn't played it yet I highly recommend that you do!

Advertisement