Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario 64

Options
  • 31-01-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

So Mario 64 is one of those games that everybody lists as one of the greatest games of all time but I've never played. I never had an N64 so I missed out on most of those games. My friend had one but he never got Mario 64 for it.

I always see it on lists that gaming websites make to get traffic, i.e. top 100 of all time etc...

How has this game held up over time? Was it really that good? I'm a big Mario fan but more so of the 2D games than the 3D ones. I'd rate New Super Mario Bros. Wii ahead of Mario Galaxy for instance.

Should I download Mario 64 from the Virtual Console or would I be better off playing Galaxy 2 that is lying on my pile of shame?

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

If you have a ds i would get it for that i love playing it on the ds :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If you have a ds i would get it for that i love playing it on the ds :D

Its good on the DS alright, but its better IMHO on VC. Cracking game either way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the DS version is a pretty poor port of the game. I plays alright but what irked me is that I ran into a bug that didn't let me collect all the stars in it and the new areas and stars are crap. The controls were also knid of poor compared to the analogue controls of the original.

Anyway Mario 64 has held up extremely well. Most N64 games like Goldeneye and the like have aged really badly due to pushing the hardware much too hard, going for a realistic look that hasn't held up at all and with serious frame rate issues that ruin the playability. Mario 64 goes for a stylised look that still looks great and runs at a very stable and smooth frame rate. It's also a fantastic game! You could play it on an N64 but the PAL N64 port is not the best. It runs at close to full speed and has reduced borders but they are still there. The main problem is the PAL N64 doesn't RGB so can only be played at best in AV composite which looks atrocious on a SD TV and even worse on a HD TV. You might be better off playing it through an emulator with an analogue pad (PS3 or 360 will be fine) since it will look a lot better. The other alternative is an NTSC machine with the game in s-video but that's a big investment of time and/or money.

Edit: actually playing it through VC is a great idea since it supports RGB or 480P through Component and is a perfect port and a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

played through it in it's entirety a few months back on emulator, it's held up pretty well, still a great game. fantastic gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Goldeneye and the like have aged really badly

Ever consider getting a tattoo of that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quarryman wrote: »
    Ever consider getting a tattoo of that?

It wouldn't hurt as much as the truth :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Should I download Mario 64 from the Virtual Console

Do this.

Mr. K wrote: »
    Do this.

And then play mario galaxy when you are finished! Both amazing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Plus if you play it on emulator/VC, you won't have to deal with wobbly N64 sticks.

Funny thing though: I was curious and found this listing of N64 controllers -- turns out the "Super Pad" controllers are the ONLY controllers that had good METAL sticks, and you can still find them cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Mario 64 is such a good game.

I'm currently completely addicted to Mario Galaxy 2. The people that made it have seriously brilliant imaginations.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Plus if you play it on emulator/VC, you won't have to deal with wobbly N64 sticks.

Funny thing though: I was curious and found this listing of N64 controllers -- turns out the "Super Pad" controllers are the ONLY controllers that had good METAL sticks, and you can still find them cheap.

I've 4 N64 controllers and all of them bar 1 have knackered plastic sticks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And then play mario galaxy when you are finished! Both amazing games.

Mario Galaxy is anything but amazing.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Mario Galaxy is anything but amazing.

Have you no soul?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Mario 64 was the game I got with my N64 on launch, was and still is one of the best games ever. And Retr0gamer is right about GoldenEye, played it recently and the graphics and frame rate issues completely ruin it, still didnt stop me playing the thing solid for about two years when it came out first!

To answer your question, N64 + 21" CRT TV + Mario 64 = Profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If you don't like Mario Galaxy, GET OUT OF GAMES!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I got mario64, mario kart and goldeneye and the console for christmas.... best christmas ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Have you no soul?
    Grayditch wrote: »
    If you don't like Mario Galaxy, GET OUT OF GAMES!

It was extremely boring to play and nothing new. Meh I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hi Josey. One of the reasons Mario 64 is so revered is that there really wasn't anything that had came before it. The SNES was 16-bit and on its last legs as the 32-bit Saturn and Playstation had taken over the market. There was some 3D platformers on the 32-bit systems but most were fairly linear. At the same point, the character of Mario had nowhere near the same status as he had today - Donkey Kong was the biggest platforming hero after the Donkey Kong Country games and even the SNES' last hurrah, Yoshi's Island, put Yoshi at the forefront rather than Mario.

So when I first seen Mario 64 on television (it was the old Gamesmaster TV show reporting on the first software demonstrations of the 'Ultra 64' in Japan), it was incredible. A giant polygonal Bowser, using the analogue stick to swing him around (even the inclusion of an analogue stick) - Nintendo had somehow managed to come up with the most unbelievable looking game and a brand new gameplay experience - a full 3D platformer. I still don't think any generaitonal leap has been as big in video gaming and Mario 64 may be the best launch title of all time too. That's why it made such an impact and the it was so superbly designed was a bonus - people couldn't imagine how games could get any better - it was getting 100% and 99% in some Nintendo magazines at the time. Games would get better, a year later with Ocarina of Time but I digress

Whether or not you should play it today kinda depends - it's impossible to fully appreciate the impact it made at the time and the structure of the gameplay (stars for each level, collecting red coins) is a little archaic - I even felt that about Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii. In the same way someone might play Goldeneye 007 on N64 today and wonder what the fuss was all about, you might get a similar reaction. Hard to say and it's up to you - though stay away from the DS version, the lack of an analogue stick cripples the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    It was extremely boring to play and nothing new. Meh I say.

Nothing new?
    There was nothing like it when it came out.

Edit -
    Sorry, just realised you were talking about galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

This is one of the games i completed fully, all 120 stars. Very fulfilling.

Such an awesome game.

As for Goldeneye, couldn't complete the last level.
    It was great at the time and now it looks pants !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

OP I was the exact same as you. Never had an N64 so could only admire Mario 64 from afar all those years ago. Few months back I remembered how much I always wanted to play it so got an emulator and gave it a whirl. I literally lasted 5 minutes! It looked horrible and blocky and not how I remembered it at all!

OP I was the exact same as you. Never had an N64 so could only admire Mario 64 from afar all those years ago. Few months back I remembered how much I always wanted to play it so got an emulator and gave it a whirl. I literally lasted 5 minutes! It looked horrible and blocky and not how I remembered it at all!

Screw how it looks, the controls are great and it's loads of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Screw how it looks, the controls are great and it's loads of fun.

Are you refering to Mario 64 or Goldeneye?
    That statement could apply to both:)

Are you refering to Mario 64 or Goldeneye?
    That statement could apply to both:)

No it couldn't. Mario 64 plays nice and smooth with a stable framerate and anyway the graphics haven't as bad as people are making out. Goldeneye on the other hand suffers from some terrible control issues caused motly by framerate problems in the game, it's it's biggest problem amongst a lot more that I won't go into yet again. It's also not all that much fun in an age where first person shooters have leave it feeling so dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I remember this level being hard !

Now that i look at the video, the controls were brilliant.
    And the fact you could move the camera around with the 4 yellow arrow buttons was genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

The presence of the " :) " meant I was joking.

For my own two cents the controls of Mario 64 are indeed what make it fun. Walk kicking your way to the top of a path, running around a circle and doing a backflip out of it... these never get old as they are tremendous fun.

I think what I remember the most about Mario 64 was just that opening when you finally got control of mario in that field and running around it. It's going to be lost on people now but at the time Mario 64 was the first game that did control in a 3D world right and it was a revelation running around that area and having so much control over the character and it all feeling so right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'd have to be a dissenting voice. M64 in its day was brilliant and I got all the stars and spent a significant portion of my youth on it but I did recently chuck it on an emulator and was pretty dissappointed. Don't feel it aged well at all.

Banjo & Kazooie however is still awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I don't understand you folks who emulate Mario 64 on your PCs with your high-def LCDs and expect it to look good.

It's a low-res game designed for CRT TVs.
    Play it on that.

• Advertisement

Banjo & Kazooie however is still awesome :)

I like banjo kazooie but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Mario 64. There's far too many trinkets to collect, some of the levels are appalling (most are great though) and over all I just didn't enjoy it much. Framerate is a bit crap as well but not enough to ruin the game like some of rares other work.

Advertisement