Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water - where do you stand?

• 03-11-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

There were many different reasons given on the airwaves last week for participation in weekend protests.

I myself don't have any great issue with water charges but have concerns over the management of the company tasked with provision.

Where do people stand?

Water - where do you stand 277 votes

I'm opposed to any charges, ever
    0% 0 votes
    I'm opposed to Irish Water, but happy to pay water charges
    23% 64 votes
    I'm opposed to paying until I get drinkable water, then I'll pay
    27% 77 votes
    I'm opposed on the basis it's too expensive, but happy otherwise
    2% 8 votes
    I'm happy to pay as it stands
    9% 25 votes
    I already pay for my water supply
    24% 68 votes
    None of the above
    12% 35 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Love the stuff. Can't live without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

ninty9er wrote: »
    There were many different reasons given on the airwaves last week for participation in weekend protests.

I myself don't have any great issue with water charges but have concerns over the management of the company tasked with provision.

Where do people stand?

This is the big problem for the establishment, this has become something much bigger than just water charges. The establishment is currently trying to backtrack seemingly oblivious to the fact that it will do as much damage as ploughing on, the protests may well dissipate but this was not the sort of reform voters signed up to, this is not the "world class" public service Ministers have promised...they have just apologised to the nation but we know that words mean nothing, no one will face any consequences for any incompetence.

There is a strong wiff of incompetence, a potential wiff of corruption, wastage, premium wages, cronyism, undeserved bonus structures...this stinks of FF, who we collectively booted out of office unceremoniously in 2011...whose participation in the protests is pathetic.

This has been a serious boot into the establishment, and I include the traditional media who completely ignored these protests until it was no longer possible to do so.

I believe we should pay for water, I accept water charges, but I am really enjoying what is happening to the political establishment at the moment, and I would love if this was just the spark required to begin the process of real change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

While I'd hold water is already been paid for via income tax and should be continued to be paid for as such in that method, my understanding that only Jesus could make any stand on water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why can't we see results? :p
    For me it's a combination of the principle of metered charges causing people to cut back on hygeine, the fact that so much money has been taken out of the economy already, the fact that the government is increasing the financial burden on ordinary people without properly tackling waste and extravagance in bodies like the HSE, and finally the fact that Irish Water is so bloated, its senior staff are so overpaid, and all the cronyism shenanigans surrounding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Every option in the poll is opposition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 samdavis

I lived in Italy for many years, you pay for water there......you pay approx. 10 euro per month (our bills were on average 27 euro every 3 months) We bought bottled water to drink and used tap water for showers, washing machine, dishwasher etc. This figure is acceptable (to me) Bin charges were 76 euro per year (bins were emptied every day from a communal bin at the end of the street) I understand the edict from the European Union saying we must pay for water, but it should be on a par with European charges. Adding up bin charges and water charges here is a joke. I am willing to pay for a service, but looking at rates for services in Ireland is a complete joke......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Every option in the poll is opposition?

I've asked a mod to add "I'm happy to pay as it is" and "I already pay for my water supply" and reset the poll

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

Im actually in favour of the water charges. Up until now Ireland has been one of the only countries to provide free water to the public, people need to stop feeling so entitled and remember that clean drinking water is a privilege not a given "right".
    They do however need to fix old leaky pipes and remove all the crap (flouride etc.) from our water.
    Edit: I also chose option 3 in the poll
    And if you want free water then by all means take advantage of all the rain we get in Ireland, maybe then you won't always be complaining about it

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Against water charges "ever", option 1.

Public policy since the foundation of the State was that citizens did not pay directly for water.

Until 1977 water was paid for through domestic rates which funded the local authorities.

Post 1977, the funding was replaced by a grant from the Exchequer i.e. from taxation.

The creation of Irish Water and charging the ciitizen directly for water has reversed over 90 years of public policy.

Senior Cabinet figures must have done a major face palm when they saw Brendan Ogle taking a front and centre role in the anti camp. The permanent Government must have thought they had neutralised him by giving him the handy job orchestrating the group of unions in the ESB. (Inside the tent p1ssing out rather than outside the tent p1ssing in.) Now he's outside the tent! BO resembled God on Saturday, appearing in several places at once. There's going to be fun, boys and girls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

curioser wrote: »
    Against water charges "ever", option 1.

Public policy since the foundation of the State was that citizens did not pay directly for water.

Are business owners not citizens?
    Are domestic users on group schemes not citizens?

Because this supposed policy seems a bit leaky to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

curioser wrote: »
    The creation of Irish Water and charging the ciitizen directly for water has reversed over 90 years of public policy.

You can tax me for having a car, a dog, a TV, an ATM card, even an insurance policy..... I wont bat an eye.

Just never, ever ask me to pay for an expensive & vital utility!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Not against the principle of it but most certainly against the way it's being implemented here.
    We have to pay it to keep the Troika/our Overlords happy apparently.
    I doubt that they insisted that we have one of the highest charges in Europe if not the world!!

IW is a joke in my opinion and yet another slap in the face from the Government who promised to end cronyism and promised transparency and accountability, none of which we seem to be getting.
    One of my biggest gripes is when I do the sums...
    The top 29 people in IW will earn over 100k. Taking a low guesstimate at 125k each, pre perks and bonuses, that means that approximately 14,000 houses paying a flat rate will be required just to pay their basic wages. Include cars, perks and bonuses and that figure will get scary - for 29 people!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

You can tax me for having a car, a dog, a TV, an ATM card, even an insurance policy..... I wont bat an eye.

Just never, ever ask me to pay for an expensive & vital utility!

You mean like electricity or gas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I doubt that they insisted that we have one of the highest charges in Europe if not the world!!

This is a fallacy.
    Our m3 rate is amongst the most expensive, but when you factor in the free allowances and the tax credit etc, we drop right down the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Were already paying for our water by having our own well. And sewage through our own system.

Our taxes are going to subsidise water/sewage for others.

People need to get over themselves and pay for the services they receive.

The government should have tagged this charge into the same system as the LPT right from the beginning where people would have no option but pay or have the money stopped.

The fact still remains that were borrowing north if €6bn a year to run the state. More revenue is required, water charges or increased taxes.
    My preference is for water charges as it both raises revenue and collects paent from people other than PAYE workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

_Brian wrote: »
    Were already paying for our water by having our own well. And sewage through our own system.

Our taxes are going to subsidise water/sewage for others.

People need to get over themselves and pay for the services they receive.

The government should have tagged this charge into the same system as the LPT right from the beginning where people would have no option but pay or have the money stopped.

The fact still remains that were borrowing north if €6bn a year to run the state. More revenue is required, water charges or increased taxes.
    My preference is for water charges as it both raises revenue and collects paent from people other than PAYE workers.

Where do you live that you have to have your own well? Was it your choice to live in such a home. Im just curious, not trying to get at you. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

I'm not against water charges in principle, and I WAS fully prepared to register and pay my fair share...however...it looks like refusal to pay the charges is growing and it seems like there may be very little consequences for those who don't pay. For this reason and the more I think about it, I'm sick of being one of the 'coping classes' who pays for everything in this country without question, if the people living either side of me can avoid paying and get away with it, why the hell should I stump up again?
    If the government is going to back pedal and give more allowances, tax credits etc to ease the burden that's great, but will they have the balls to enforce compliance? I doubt it. So my water rates will probably go up every year to pay for my neighbours who get to enjoy it without paying for it.
    The same thing happens in the housing market, no repossessions/consequences for those who won't pay, the cost of which is passed onto dopes like me who will.

Again I think paying for water according to usage is fair and absolutely encourages conservation etc. but if everyone has to pay then everyone has to pay, bar the very genuine cases

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Phoebas wrote: »
    This is a fallacy.
    Our m3 rate is amongst the most expensive, but when you factor in the free allowances and the tax credit etc, we drop right down the list.
    Please explain your reasoning for the above statement and use figures from other countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭spuddy

When this started, I asked myself two questions.

Do I think it's right to encourage water conservation?
    Yes, and to do that there needs to be a mechanism to tell me how much water I'm using, therefore I'm in favour of metering.

Do I think the existing water system needs to be improved?
    That's a harder one, water comes out of my tap when I turn it on, and I can't assess the status of the network which supplies it. However there are a couple of things weighing on my mind.

Reports of people with boil water notices, for extended periods of time isn't a sign of a well run system. Also if I stand back for a moment, I'd never consider splitting the electricity network up between 30-odd local authorities, so why split the water network? That inefficiency has a hidden cost which has to paid, plus interest, by the state, and then by me anyway.

So Yes, I think the system needs to be improved, and therefore, whatever the teething difficulties in establishing Irish water, it will tell us how much it actually costs to run the water system, and in the long term put pressure to make it more efficient, and therefore I'm in favour of it over maintaining the status quo.

I can't be the only one out there who thinks like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't understand all the outrage over water and none of this over USC

Most workers will pay vastly more in the next 12 months in USC then they'll ever pay in water charges.

Introduced in 2011 and supposed to be "temporary"

Sorry for going off topic OP, I just don't see why it's been forgotten and ignored by the public and by the people before profit and those politicians

Do water protesters not work and also don't pay USC? :confused: I guess most of them work and are in the same situation as me

• Advertisement

Riva10 wrote: »
    Please explain your reasoning for the above statement and use figures from other countries

Most other countries don't have a free water allowance or tax breaks.

There was an analysis of this done on primetime last night comparing a group of OECD countries. We were second from the top on m3 rates alone, but down in the bottom half of the list when allowances were taken into account. It should be up on the RTE player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

There was an analysis of this done on primetime last night comparing a group of OECD countries. We were second from the top on m3 rates alone, but down in the bottom half of the list when allowances were taken into account. It should be up on the RTE player.

Yeah and how long do you think it will be before this "free allowance" and tax credit are scrapped. Not very long is the answer. Then we're paying among the highest rare for water , and the highest rate for electricity in Europe. What a country

Yeah and how long do you think it will be before this "free allowance" and tax credit are scrapped. Not very long is the answer. Then we're paying among the highest rare for water , and the highest rate for electricity in Europe. What a country

I can't see into the future the way you can, but, yeah, as it stands we don't have the highest charges, but if/when they increase them in the future we might have.

We're not paying the highest price for electricity in Europe, and you've no evidence that the basic water allowance is ever going to change, let alone be removed. So dealing with the facts, the distributed list of water charges is incorrect. The London price for instance, is only the fresh water charge - it also needs to have the waste charge applied, plus a monthly standing charge, and they don't have any initial allowance as part of their set-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

This is all grand. Allowances have been put in place to soften the blow of high usage rates. But what happens when these allowances and tax breaks are removed and we're left with the high rates?

I would much rather have no allowance and lower rates. Then it's a harder job for them to raise the rates.

Gosub wrote: »
    This is all grand. Allowances have been put in place to soften the blow of high usage rates. But what happens when these allowances and tax breaks are removed and we're left with the high rates?

I would much rather have no allowance and lower rates. Then it's a harder job for them to raise the rates.
    Why is it harder to raise the rates than remove the allowances?

The rates can be changed by the regulator, who provides political cover to the government. Can you imagine how foolhardy a government would need to be to remove the allowances given the public backlash we've seen over the past month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Manach wrote: »
    While I'd hold water is already been paid for via income tax and should be continued to be paid for as such in that method, my understanding that only Jesus could make any stand on water?

Don't forget BONO..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

This is a fallacy.
    also,
    other countries have standing charges and meter rental, so the actual water portion of the bill is cheap.

it was said a few months back when folks were clambering to not have a standing charge, that the result would be higher charge per litre of water.

funny and ironic that the political solution now may be a flat charge for everyone!

Gosub wrote: »

Why would the absence of an allowance make it any harder to raise the rates?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Why is it harder to raise the rates than remove the allowances?

The rates can be changed by the regulator, who provides political cover to the government. Can you imagine how foolhardy a government would need to be to remove the allowances given the public backlash we've seen over the past month?
    Your thinking seems to be very short term. The government thinks longer term with an eye to trying to look good today. Today they wouldn't do away with the allowances, but you can bet it's in their long-term plan. These people aren't politicians by accident. They know how to work the 'ordinary' people. The more we forgive them for this, the more we deserve to be treated like brainless turnips.

Regarding raising the rates. If your electricity provider decided to raise their rates by, say, 20% you might notice and kick up a stink. You might even look to move to another provider. Same with your broadband supplier. You won't have this option with your water supplier.

Advertisement