Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John McNulty / Enda Kenny Saga.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Labour could write the book on fixing up friends, waste of time expecting moral outrage from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Albert Reynolds must be looking down with a bit of glee at all this, it has a real Albert feel about it, a thousand small cuts building up to something big.

Labour backbenchers must be in a lather, would be a good time for someone to throw someone under a bus.
    realweirdo wrote: »
    Labour could write the book on fixing up friends, waste of time expecting moral outrage from them.

Labour are no better.

Prob explains Joans reluctance to get involved....
    An unsuccessful Labour Party Local Election candidate was appointed to the Board of Directors at the Irish Aviation Authority last month.

Former Clare County Councillor Pascal Fitzgerald was made a director at the beginning of August.

A spokesperson for Minister for Transport Paschal Donohoe said Mr Fitzgerald has been active in promoting Shannon Airport and tourism in the Shannon and Mid West area over the last decade.

Directors on the board of the Irish Aviation Authority are paid up to €13,000 a year, according to the authority's 2013 annual report.

Mr Fitzgerald, who is a publican, served as a councillor for ten years before he lost his seat in the Shannon area last May. He could not be contacted for comment.

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/0930/648957-pascal-fitzgerald/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Labour are no better.

I always remember Emmett Stagg's defence back in the day when he was a junior minister. He was challenged about giving one of his two ministerial driver posts to a cousin.

His response was to the effect that one cousin wasn't nepotism, it would only be nepotism if employed two . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

gandalf wrote: »
    Tis a bit late for these resignations/ withdrawals , the damage has already been done.

Now what about all the other failed County Councillors who got quango positions after the recent local elections. Are they also going to be flushed out.

Don't think so.

The resignations will ensure the story disappears. Nobody will remember this come election time.

Godge wrote: »
    Don't think so.

The resignations will ensure the story disappears. Nobody will remember this come election time.

Oh Godge... with the rise in social media, I dont think that's true.

You're deluding yourself. Everything will be dredged up. Some people never forget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Labour are no better.

Prob explains Joans reluctance to get involved....

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/0930/648957-pascal-fitzgerald/

Seriously, this lot, elected in protest, are worse than what went before.
    It's a joke at this stage, they don't even try anymore to be subtle about it.
    A real two fingers to the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

How can Enda take full responsibility one minute than blame everyone else the next, starting to look like he has completely lost control

rodento wrote: »
    How can Enda take full responsibility one minute than blame everyone else the next, starting to look like he has completely lost control

And respect.

I wonder is Leo in the long grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I always remember Emmett Stagg's defence back in the day when he was a junior minister. He was challenged about giving one of his two ministerial driver posts to a cousin.

His response was to the effect that one cousin wasn't nepotism, it would only be nepotism if employed two . . .

The fact of the matter is that Labour do not have a history of cronyism or corruption, or bank robberies,executions.

We all know Ff are corrupt and probably always will be.

Its a culture thing.

Bruton,Kenny and Noonan are self serving air heads,so are the sheep that follow them.

They run the country as if it is theirs to run,and fock the homeless,elderly etc.

Of the people,by the people...no siree says FG

gladrags wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that Labour do not have a history of cronyism or corruption, or bank robberies,executions

You seem to have forgotten about Official IRA/Official Sinn Féin/Sinn Fein the Workers Party/The Workers Party/Democratic Left before it completed its rebranding with its reverse takeover of Labour. It was responsible for plenty of criminal activity and gangsterism, including a good many murders.

Labour has no moral high ground to stand on there . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Its beginning to look like the last days of the last government except that the Greens finally grew a set of balls and pulled the plug.
    Doubtful Labour will find their balls!
    And anyway if there was an election I would have a serious problem in finding someone to give my No.1

You seem to have forgotten about Official IRA/Official Sinn Féin/Sinn Fein the Workers Party/The Workers Party/Democratic Left before it completed its rebranding with its reverse takeover of Labour. It was responsible for plenty of criminal activity and gangsterism, including a good many murders.

Labour has no moral high ground to stand on there . . .

Your response is typical of the gombeen republic we have become.

You try to bring everyone down to the same level,the gutter.

The labour party are not corrupt,you cannot prove otherwise,other than to try to smear them with the same brush.

Labour merged with DL for political and non violent reasons, their history is non violent and democratic.

Prove otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Your response is typical of the gombeen republic we have become.

You try to bring everyone down to the same level,the gutter.

The labour party are not corrupt,you cannot prove otherwise,other than to try to smear them with the same brush.

Labour merged with DL for political and non violent reasons, their history is non violent and democratic.

Prove otherwise

Rabbitte appoints Coalition cronies to jobs on state board
    Minister fills posts just days before Cabinet reshuffle

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Prove otherwise

A man once convicted for politically motivated murder was out canvassing for his wifes party (a Labour TD) in the run up to the local elections. Pretty sure he partook in some canvassing for her too before the generals. He was also employed as her personal assistant and paid for with public money the last time I checked.

I'm sure you don't need me to name names

Exactly. Labour merged for purely party political advantage with DL, a party which a couple of names changes previously was Official Sinn Féin/Official IRA. It was shameful. I was a lifelong Labour voter until they crossed that Rubicon.

It backfired on the Labour old-guard when ex-Official Sinn Féin veterans like Gilmore, Rabbitte and McManus took over the running of the organisation.

PS - Have you never heard of James Connolly or the Irish Citizen Army?

PPS - The Labour/DL experience goes to show that when the time comes, the "mainstream", "non-violent" parties will hold their noses and go into government with the current incarnation of Sinn Féin, if that's what it takes to get into power.

John_C wrote: »

Your source is the Sindo!!!!

The home of half truth agenda ridden whore masters.

Go on prove it

A man once convicted for politically motivated murder was out canvassing for his wifes party (a Labour TD) in the run up to the local elections. Pretty sure he partook in some canvassing for her too before the generals. He was also employed as her personal assistant and paid for with public money the last time I checked.

I'm sure you don't need me to name names

The word pathetic comes to mind
    , "pretty sure" means absolutely zilch.

Where are your sources?

"
    Exactly. Labour merged for purely party political advantage with DL, a party which a couple of names changes previously was Official Sinn Féin/Official IRA. It was shameful. I was a lifelong Labour voter until they crossed that Rubicon."

So what, I do not recall in my lifetime,labour advocating violence,do you?

"It backfired on the Labour old-guard when ex-Official Sinn Féin veterans like Gilmore, Rabbitte and McManus took over the running of the organisation."

That does not make them corrupt or violent.

"PS - Have you never heard of James Connolly or the Irish Citizen Army?

PPS - The Labour/DL experience goes to show that when the time comes, the "mainstream", "non-violent" parties will hold their noses and go into government with the current incarnation of Sinn Féin, if that's what it takes to get into power.
    "

Connolly was from a different era.

Did you or your family live in the tennements of 1913,or witness the starvation,poverty and injustice.?

Connolly did,and he fought politically for the rights of the oppressed,and made the ultimate sacrifice.

I think your reference to Sinn Fein should begin with "If Only"

Where are your sources?

Ah here now, I'm not gonna insult your intelligence by naming him or posting a link.

You seem competent enough. So here... www.google.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Prove otherwise
    The man who earlier this year was the leader of Labour, could not categorically deny having been a member of the IRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Where are your sources?

Are you Joan Burton?

You write like she speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Your source is the Sindo!!!!
    The home of half truth agenda ridden whore masters.

Here's the same story on RTÉ:
    White defends appointment of ex-politicians to Bord na Móna board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

The fact of the matter is that Labour do not have a history of cronyism or corruption, or bank robberies,executions.

Is that a fact?

A couple of years ago, Eamon Gilmore challenged FF to end "crony capitalism".

http://www.labour.ie/blog/2009/03/24/gilmore-challenges-cowen-to-end-crony-capitalism/

I hope the labour website is a good enough source for you!

So you would think given what he had to say on the matter, when a school in Galway needed land to expand, Eamon and his wife would be only too willing to donate the land at a reasonable price to the school and the state.

Think again!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gilmore-wife-got-525000-for-school-site-now-worth-just-100000-26695748.html

The man is/was a walking hypocrite.

As for being a relation of a Labour Party member, it surely doesn't hurt.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/11/20/a-newly-created-position/

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tds-break-cronyism-pledge-by-giving-jobs-to-family-members-26740285.html

Godge wrote: »
    Don't think so.

Poor choice of words it would seem.

Apparently mcnulty was out canvassing mere hours before he was shafted.
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny shafted his controversial Seanad candidate John McNulty as he shifted the blame to Fine Gael officials for the cronyism debacle.

Mr Kenny sent officials to tell Mr McNulty to pull out of the Seanad election at lunchtime yesterday, just hours after telling Tanaiste Joan Burton the Coalition’s candidate would be standing aside.

Mr McNulty was still canvassing party TDs and senators at the time, indicating that he had no warning he would be forced off the pitch.

Numerous Fine Gael TDs and senators are saying they have voted for – or will vote for – Mr McNulty as he had done no wrong.

Mr Kenny is also blaming Fine Gael officials for having Mr McNulty appointed to the board of the Irish Museum of Modern Art (IMMA).

Arts Minister Heather Humphreys said she was asked by Fine Gael officials to appoint Mr McNulty – but she didn’t know he was the party’s candidate for the Seanad.

Mr Kenny says he approved Mr McNulty as the party candidate for the Seanad, but didn’t know he was then appointed to the State board.

After Mr McNulty asked TDs and Senators not to vote for him, the Taoiseach told the Dail it was not worth winning a seat in the circumstances.

“My own standards were let slip and my own sense of integrity and trust did not measure up,” he said.

Fine Gael TDs loyal to Mr Kenny admit he has been damaged by the affair.

“It hasn’t been a good week for him and he knows it,” a senior Government source said.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/taoiseach-shafts-crony-and-pins-the-blame-on-fg-party-officials-30628547.html

Also interesting some people don't condemn the cronyism, just hope the electorate forget about it come election time.

Enda has shown this last few weeks he's a snake of a man and a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

More fake outrage from Fianna Fail's Michael Martin on Morning Ireland.

Has he forgotten that he elevated his pal Bertie's girlfriend Celia Larkin to the board of the National Consumer Agency not so long ago.

Amnesia and fake outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

raymon wrote: »

Has he forgotten that he elevated his pal Bertie's girlfriend Celia Larkin to the board of the National Consumer Agency not so long ago.

Typical of Irish gombeen politics. You vote for them I vote for them so who's at fault ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The problem is enough people will believe his "sincerity" and vote for him forgetting he was in the cabinet for the 14 years of FF led Governments that pushed us into the arms of the IMF and EU austerity policies for the last six years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

RTÉ News - McNulty affair a crisis for Enda Kenny
    It’s no exaggeration to say the John McNulty affair has presented Enda Kenny with his biggest political crisis since the coup against his leadership four years ago.

And it’s a crisis that’s all the worse for him because it is entirely of his own making.

TDs and Senators are now musing openly about whether the Taoiseach is now a liability rather than an asset, whether in political terms he has slipped into the red.

There could be fireworks at the next FG parliamentary party meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

RTÉ News - McNulty affair a crisis for Enda Kenny

There could be fireworks at the next FG parliamentary party meeting.

Sierra , were you and your party outraged when your own leader Michael Martin shoved Celia Larkin onto the board of the National Consumer Agency. Was it a stroke?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sierra , were you and your party outraged when your own leader Michael Martin shoved Celia Larkin onto the board of the National Consumer Agency. Was it a stroke?

I don't necessarily support Fianna Fáil anymore. I am a free spirit.

I am still astounded by the croynism being displayed by Fine Gael though along with their willing accomplices in the Labour party.

Advertisement