Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John McNulty / Enda Kenny Saga.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

The party that just keep giving.

More winks, nudges and buddy minding.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-water-director-hired-as-personal-driver-by-minister-1.1945863

Am i missing something though, hoe does a 15k s year position pay €665 a week?

Also....

Classic stuff.

Jeez, this is shocking stuff, thought I'd heard it all but what's coming out lately just gets worse and worse. They may forget about haughty, what Came behind him are a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Am i missing something though, hoe does a 15k s year position pay €665 a week?

Yes, he gets €15k from Irish Water, and separately, 665 per week (35k odd per year) in a salaried position as a Ministerial driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

MouseTail wrote: »
    Yes, he gets €15k from Irish Water, and separately, 665 per week (35k odd per year) in a salaried position as a Ministerial driver.

Did he also actually get €57,757 for merely loosing a lowly council seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ah yeah i see that now, that makes much more sense.

I'd say there could be a few folk on Jobbridge would love to be on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Did he also actually get €57,757 for merely loosing a lowly council seat?

He certainly does.

So, that's €15k for doing nothing except having his name on the board of the super quango, €57,757 for being rejected by the electorate and €665 per week for driving his mate around.
    FG = Cronyism and nepotism. What a DISGUSTING political party, after all enda's lies about 'a new type of politics', 'an end to cronyism' and a 'transparent and open process of people being elected to state boards and positions' in the run up to the 2011 GE.
    Pure lies, far worse than the FFailures ever were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think this sums up the current government totally “You tell me one party out there who doesn’t look after their own. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s politics.”.

TBH they are all the same. FF are still the kings of corruption given their past but SF harp on about their TD's taking the average wage yet they still cost us the taxpayer the same and the surplus funds a party that a lot of us still find repugnant, plus lets not forget their expenses claim like "inkgate".

Politics in Ireland needs a desperate shake up and a new party is needed with fresh ideas and more importantly fresh faces who aren't tainted by the sense of entitlement that the political class oozes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

gandalf wrote: »
    I think this sums up the current government totally “You tell me one party out there who doesn’t look after their own. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s politics.”.

TBH they are all the same. FF are still the kings of corruption given their past but SF harp on about their TD's taking the average wage yet they still cost us the taxpayer the same and the surplus funds a party that a lot of us still find repugnant, plus lets not forget their expenses claim like "inkgate".

Politics in Ireland needs a desperate shake up and a new party is needed with fresh ideas and more importantly fresh faces who aren't tainted by the sense of entitlement that the political class oozes at the moment.

I agree (kind of), it says something where the three main aptries have surrendered the moral high ground to Sinn Fein. Is every other country the same? I would think not. Some are worse, some are better.

What I wonder is are all of Fine Gael and Labour the same or are there 2 wings 'Its our turn' vs 'Lets try and change things'. If the experience of losing our sovereignty to the IMF didn't persuade people (voters and politicians) of the need for change and reform nothing will.

Much as I consider it a wasted vote in many ways I'll probably be voting for one of the 'Rag-bag' others at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ireland is well tired of this sh1te.
    Agree 110% but with this current incarnation of Fianna Fail
    Fine Gael in power we may get used to the shtink. Mc Nulty needs to back away from the seanad and also stay away from the museums and try his luck again next year.
    Ah yeah i see that now, that makes much more sense.

I'd say there could be a few folk on Jobbridge would love to be on that.
    Does he have a full clean driving licence? Also what does a driver bring to Irish Water apart from being a lackey to carry the cash back to Enda?

I am supportive of a lot of the people in Fine Gael but the same old corrupt "slap on the back" sh1te with people being paid for their support with lucrative positions and photos of Brian Cowen has started to infect the party from the very top the same as we saw for years in Fianna Faild.

I get worried when people talk about new party's and changes in direction because they usually mean the likes of poisoned pups like Sinn Fein and the green party who will hopefully never be in power in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

What I wonder is are all of Fine Gael and Labour the same or are there 2 wings 'Its our turn' vs 'Lets try and change things'. If the experience of losing our sovereignty to the IMF didn't persuade people (voters and politicians) of the need for change and reform nothing will.
    Losing sovereignty would tend to have the opposite effect, in my opinion. When you no longer get to change things upon gaining office, the focus will instead turn to perks, favours, cronyism, nepotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 worsel

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    He certainly does.

So, that's €15k for doing nothing except having his name on the board of the super quango, €57,757 for being rejected by the electorate and €665 per week for driving his mate around.
    FG = Cronyism and nepotism. What a DISGUSTING political party, after all enda's lies about 'a new type of politics', 'an end to cronyism' and a 'transparent and open process of people being elected to state boards and positions' in the run up to the 2011 GE.
    Pure lies, far worse than the FFailures ever were.

.... Fair Play to you Fr. Ned .. I couldn't have explained it any better that that !! I wonder who appointed him to the board of Irish Water last November .. Wouldn't be Phil Hogan be any chance ??

Great Country we live in Altogether ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So he's withdrawn from the by-election after all... and once the ballot papers had already gone out

Edna and Heather Humphries looking extremely sheepish and uncomfortable at the minute

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Looks like John McNulty has withdrawn from the race but that his name will still appear on the ballot paper. Not great for Enda. It's the little things that trip you up as Albert Reynolds once said.

It is starting to look like the government may have permanently lost its majority in the Seanad.

Irish Independent - John McNulty dramatically pulls out of Seanad by-election race
    His decision is a massive blow to the Taoiseach’s authority and comes after Mr Kenny faced a string of criticism from within Fine Gael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

He's decided to fade into the background

"Fine Gael’s John McNulty has withdrawn from the Seanad byelection race, saying that his participation the election would be a “distraction” from the work the Government is doing.
    Mr McNulty, whose appointment to the board of the Irish Museum of Modern Art ahead of his selection to contest the Cultural and Education Panel of the Seanad saw the Government accused of stroke politics, said he was now asking members of the Oireachtas not to vote for him. "
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/john-mcnulty-withdraws-from-seanad-bylection-race-1.1946773

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Great new that Mc Nulty has withdrawn

This was the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

While the rest of us struggle to find limited jobs and have to compete against it seems every other European for those jobs, its nice to know the friends of politicians will always find a job in the public sector or on this board or another. Double and triple jobbing seems to be the norm, while everyone else struggles.

The close friends of government politicians will never be unemployed.

Just more of the corrupt political culture in Ireland and Fine Gael, Fianna Fail and Labour are all as bad as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭flutered

ministers get an allowance for two drivers, one works every second week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

It is interesting to see the Fianna Fail spinmeisters on here with fake outrage.

Michael Martin's appointment of then Taoiseach Bertie Ahern's former partner Celia Larkin to the board of the National Consumer Agency in 2005 prompted accusations of political cronyism from the opposition. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections/latest-news/martin-plan-backfires-as-he-clings-to-90000-deal-26673362.html#sthash.VF6HW0Tf.dpuf

Wasnt it Michael Martin who appointed Berties girlfriend Celia Larkin to the board of the National Consumer Agency !!

What a shower of shysters !

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭MANSFIELD

raymon wrote: »
    It is interesting to see the Fianna Fail spinmeisters on here with fake outrage.

Wasnt it Michael Martin who appointed Berties girlfriend Celia Larkin to the board of the National Consumer Agency !!

What a shower of shysters !

They always were a crowd of 'shysters'.

Hilary Quinlan has resigned from the board of Irish Water this evening too

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/hilary-quinlan-resigns-from-board-of-irish-water-1.1946849

Looking pretty obvious now that Kenny may have had a quiet persuasive word with them.. damage limitation?

Was there open advertising for any of these jobs including for drivers and appointees to state boards?
    Was there interviewing of candidates?
    Did those who did the interviewing have complete independence from politicians?

If not, then it's corrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Hilary Quinlan has resigned from the board of Irish Water this evening too

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/hilary-quinlan-resigns-from-board-of-irish-water-1.1946849

Looking pretty obvious now that Kenny may have had a quiet persuasive word with them.. damage limitation?

Of course he has chosen to give up the €15K a year gig rather than the €55K a year one. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

nc6000 wrote: »
    Of course he has chosen to give up the €15K a year gig rather than the €55K a year one. :rolleyes:

Nice gig if you could get it.

Working 6months of the year (1 week on, 1 week off) for 55k.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tis a bit late for these resignations/ withdrawals , the damage has already been done.

Now what about all the other failed County Councillors who got quango positions after the recent local elections. Are they also going to be flushed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

The jealousy of small differences...

But why assume that any opponent of FG is an FF supporter? Aren't they around 50% support between them in opinion polls?

Tis a bit late for these resignations/ withdrawals , the damage has already been done.

Now what about all the other failed County Councillors who got quango positions after the recent local elections. Are they also going to be flushed out.

As I said earlier you will never see friends of politicians and ex councillors joining the dole queues. One way or another they all get fixed up.

Corruption hasn't gone away you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Great new that Mc Nulty has withdrawn

This was the right thing to do.

Kenny resigning would be the right thing to do as would labour showing some ****ing judgement and not supporting this disgraceful carry on.

who_ru wrote: »
    Kenny resigning would be the right thing to do as would labour showing some ****ing judgement and not supporting this disgraceful carry on.

Kenny would sooner run the party into the ground than do the decent thing and resign. The depressing thing is that the rest of 'em seem okay with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

His decision is a massive blow to the Taoiseach’s authority and comes after Mr Kenny faced a string of criticism from within Fine Gael.

My immediate impression is that the decision was taken to avoid an even more massive blow to the Taoiseach's authority.

If McNulty stayed on the ballot and - as was seeming increasingly likely - failed to be elected even though government TDs and Senators are in the majority of the electorate after Enda had taken personal responsibility for the fiasco, it could only be seen as a vote of no confidence in him.

No problem with Kenny resigning or being pushed out but whoever replaces him will be just as bad.
    Irish politicians are notoriously good at looking after their own and promoting and helping their friends and family.
    It's endemic across all the political parties.

I bet if you looked hard enough at some of the politicians criticising Kenny you'd find an equal amount of nepotism or gombeenism.

The whole political system is corrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Albert Reynolds must be looking down with a bit of glee at all this, it has a real Albert feel about it, a thousand small cuts building up to something big.

Labour backbenchers must be in a lather, would be a good time for someone to throw someone under a bus.

Advertisement