Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The John McNulty / Enda Kenny Saga.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When this first popped up I said that Kenny would have to dismiss the Arts Minister to prove that he was actually serious about dismissing stroke politics from Irish government.

Now it turns out that it's all of Kenny's making. If FG want anyone to take them seriously the next time they talk about corruption or cronyism, they need to remove Enda.

Anyone who doesn't believe that this was a clear abuse of powers in order to work around the rules is delusional or deliberately ignorant. It's plain for all to see exactly what this was and quite incredible that Kenny thought no-one would see it.

Kenny needs to step down (as does McNulty and Humphreys), not because this was a gross violation of power (it's not that big a deal) but because it's a blatant example of the low-level corruption taking place every day, which should have no place in a modern democracy.

FG is not a dictatorship. If the party want to be able to claim the high road they need to cut out the rot of corruption from the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

This is a Fine Gael stroke . It is not good for Fg and it is not good for Ireland.
    They should admit completely and unreservedly that a stroke was pulled. I see some apologists on here . They should stop.

The worst part is it gives Sinn Fein a boost. It wont benefit Fianna Fail too much. It will just remind the public of the bad old days of Fianna Fail.

Enda : Have a long think about what you did and admit your mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

seamus wrote: »
    When this first popped up I said that Kenny would have to dismiss the Arts Minister to prove that he was actually serious about dismissing stroke politics from Irish government.

Now it turns out that it's all of Kenny's making. If FG want anyone to take them seriously the next time they talk about corruption or cronyism, they need to remove Enda.

Anyone who doesn't believe that this was a clear abuse of powers in order to work around the rules is delusional or deliberately ignorant. It's plain for all to see exactly what this was and quite incredible that Kenny thought no-one would see it.

Kenny needs to step down (as does McNulty and Humphreys), not because this was a gross violation of power (it's not that big a deal) but because it's a blatant example of the low-level corruption taking place every day, which should have no place in a modern democracy.

FG is not a dictatorship. If the party want to be able to claim the high road they need to cut out the rot of corruption from the party.

Kenny is really weakened. There has to be a leadership challenge in the next few months. Varadker must be watching this with interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Well i have changed my mind 100%.

Kenny's first cousin was giving people lifts to count centers during the election?

Another cousin wished McNulty well?

This is deeply disturbing.

Has all the characteristics of a Woodward and Bernstein exposé.

No, you know what, it's bigger than that.

We cannot allow our Taoiseach's relatives to be stroking people in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

conorh91 wrote: »
    Well i have changed my mind 100%.

Kenny's first cousin was giving people lifts to count centers during the election?

Another cousin wished McNulty well?

This is deeply disturbing.

Has all the characteristics of a Woodward and Bernstein exposé.

No, you know what, it's bigger than that.

We cannot allow our Taoiseach's relatives to be stroking people in this way.
    Avoid the issue much?

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    for the die hard FG voter this probably won't change who they vote for we can see that from one of the participants in this thread already
    I'm not a supporter of Enda Kenny, nor am I committed to Fine Gael. I would love to see Kenny resign, and Varadkar or Richard Bruton take charge. I wouldn't even rate Kenny as a junior minister.

Can you people not see how victimless was Kenny's decision to temporarily appoint a man to the board of an art gallery?

I don't know whether to confused or consoled at the prominence given to this story. On the other hand, there's a controversial budget coming up. The cynic in me finds this very convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I'm not a supporter of Enda Kenny, nor am I committed to Fine Gael. I would love to see Kenny resign, and Varadkar or Richard Bruton take charge. I wouldn't even rate Kenny as a junior minister.

Can you people not see how victimless was Kenny's decision to temporarily appoint a man to the board of an art gallery?

I don't know whether to confused or consoled at the prominence given to this story. On the other hand, there's a controversial budget coming up. The cynic in me finds this very convenient.

This is not victimless. We are all victims when democratic processes are interfered with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I

I don't think people who were better qualified for the position would agree, both in the IMMA or the senate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

And can you not see how the appointment is emblematic of a culture that many hoped had gone away?

Convenient for the Taoiseach's popularity to take a hit in advance of the budget? Not convenient for Enda Kenny I wouldn't think.

I agree with you about Enda's capabilities, one of my concerns is that sooner or later this will have major negative consequences for the country. I can't see the long term value of having a light weight in charge.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think people who were better qualified for the position would agree, both in the IMMA or the senate.
    Prospective board members were 'put out' for about 2 days. It was a revolving door appointment.
    raymon wrote: »
    This is not victimless. We are all victims when democratic processes are interfered with.

Truly, IMMA is our Tiananmen Square.

And nobody interfered with the democratic process, but don't let that get in the way of a good trope.

• Advertisement

Prospective board members were 'put out' for about 2 days. It was a revolving door appointment.

Senate?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Senate?
    There will be an election.

We've already been through this.

Fine Gael party rules say that the leader of Fine Gael, a private organization, has ultimate discretion over candidate selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Absurd hyperbole. This is a laughably trifling issue blown out of all proportion by those with nothing better to do.

Seems to me most of you have no real knowledge of the history of politics; politics and corruption (so called) are synonymous.

There was one very prominent person in history, though, whose sobriquet was 'The Incorruptible'.

Maximilian Robespierre.

Would ye have him back?

There will be an election.

We've already been through this.

Fine Gael party rules say that the leader of Fine Gael, a private organization, has ultimate discretion over candidate selection.

Including one candidate who many say wouldn't be there without this stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Good loser wrote: »
    Absurd hyperbole. This is a laughably trifling issue blown out of all proportion by those with nothing better to do.

Seems to me most of you have no real knowledge of the history of politics; politics and corruption (so called) are synonymous.

There was one very prominent person in history, though, whose sobriquet was 'The Incorruptible'.

Maximilian Robespierre.

Would ye have him back?

Some people can't see the wood for the trees.
    Around 30 Fine Gael TDs and Senators are planning to abstain or even vote for a candidate other than John McNulty, the controversial Fine Gael candidate in a Seanad by-election next month. The backlash against what is being called a "vote for cronyism" has spread to Labour with between 10 and 20 TDs and Senators also considering abstaining in what will be a secret ballot.

Looks like it'll be a secret ballot.
    This weekend some of Mr Kenny's critics in Fine Gael are describing the Seanad by-election on October 10 next as a "referendum" on his leadership.

Yesterday a senior Fine Gael figure told the Sunday Independent: "There are about 30 of us figuring it out, whether we will just abstain or vote against Enda's crony.''

He said: ''This Seanad by-election will be a referendum on Kenny and on cronyism and if Enda loses Enda will have to go."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

To sum up the defence of Kenny/FG:

No big deal, its part of the game,why give a dam.
    Everyone does it.
    You're a weirdo for even caring.

Personally I think this set of events displays the same mentality in relation to gaming the system that got the country in to the mess it's been in for the past 10 plus years. That's why I give a dam. Not everyone does it, and worse when they get caught they don't always leave a junior colleague to take the flack.

Now shoot the messenger (again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

A bit more on this today. Seems like theres a share of family links to McNulty.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/taoiseachs-family-links-to-candidate-are-revealed-30619801.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Satriale wrote: »
    A bit more on this today. Seems like theres a share of family links to McNulty.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/taoiseachs-family-links-to-candidate-are-revealed-30619801.html

This controversy seems to keep on growing. Professor David Farrell was on RTÉ Radio 1 just now and made a devastating critique of the governments political reform agenda. RTÉ said that they tried to get a government TD on to provide a reaction but none were willing to come on, and the same has been happening all week with other shows. Senior government figures must be worried about their inability to get backbenchers out to try and quell this.

I think it is pretty clear that this issue has brought to a head the level of unease within the Fine Gael parliamentary party about the way their party is being run. Watch out Enda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,605 ✭✭✭✭Sand

To sum up the defence of Kenny/FG:

No big deal, its part of the game,why give a dam.
    Everyone does it.
    You're a weirdo for even caring.

Personally I think this set of events displays the same mentality in relation to gaming the system that got the country in to the mess it's been in for the past 10 plus years. That's why I give a dam. Not everyone does it, and worse when they get caught they don't always leave a junior colleague to take the flack.

Now shoot the messenger (again).

It is *exactly* the same mentality as Fianna Fail when they were in power. Wont be long before Enda is telling the cribbers and moaners go and kill themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What actual reforms have taken place under the current government??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Some people can't see the wood for the trees.

That's self-referential, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    What actual reforms have taken place under the current government??

I believe Enda got one of his interns to reformat his hardrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

mikom wrote: »

Oooh matron!!

Good loser wrote: »

That's self-referential, right?

Hang on now. Enda Kenny has came out himself, held his hands up, admitted he'd made a big mistake (caught out) and promised not to do it again, yet your excusing it as a nothing?

Hasn't been a good PR week for the Fine Gael party, between this stroke, and this ugly incident in which Fine Gael TD Frank Feighan assaults a member of the public live on camera.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/4ae2fbc4-9e39-41b2-8389-e5361917dd17

Things can only improve I suppose.

Senior government figures must be worried about their inability to get backbenchers out to try and quell this.

Not even on The Week in Politics in which a labour minister was trotted out for the defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

this is a storm in a tea cup. There are bigger issues a-foot. Politicians should be left to do the job they were elected for, and that is running the country. So go and run the country guys, and stop squabbling etc.

Ireland is well tired of this sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Floppybits

mikom wrote: »

Was that a jobbridge intern? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

I dislike generalisations on people. The broader, the more plain silly.
    People use to say Fianna Fail and Fine Gael were 'two cheeks of the same arse'. Sad to say, at least under Enda's reign, it would seem so.
    Never a Fine Gael man, but I bought into the whole start from scratch pre-election promises to an extent. Kenny should apologise and step down, but his kind never do.

• Advertisement

The party that just keep giving.

More winks, nudges and buddy minding.
    ; The appointment of Hilary Quinlan, then a Fine Gaelcouncillor in Waterford, to the board of Irish Water in November 2013 was approved by Phil Hogan, then minister for the environment, and Pat Rabbitte, then minister for communications. Mr Quinlan is paid a €15,000 annual fee for the position.

Mr Quinlan lost his Waterford city seat in the local elections last May and has since been hired as a ministerial driver by Paudie Coffey, the junior minister at the Department of the Environment, a job which pays €665 a week. He is also entitled to a €57,757 gratuity payment after losing his seat.

Mr Coffey is a Fine Gael TD for Waterford and was promoted to the junior ministerial ranks in the reshuffle last July.

The Department of the Environment is responsible for Irish Water, and Mr Coffey is one of two ministers in the department, alongside Labour’s Alan Kelly, the senior Minister.

Working temporarilyWhile the Department of the Environment said Mr Quinlan’s position is usually co-terminus with Mr Coffey’s term, Mr Quinlan himself said he was working temporarily for Mr Coffey and also had other business interests to attend to, but later said he is unemployed. Asked if he is paid for his driving, Mr Quinlan responded: “I don’t think there is anyone working for free at the moment.”

Ministers of State are entitled to hire two full-time drivers on a week-on, week-off basis.

Mr Quinlan said he doesn’t see any conflict between driving for Mr Coffey and his position with Irish Water. “I was appointed [to Irish Water] because I was president of the county and city councillors association. But that’s not to say there aren’t Fine Gael positions andLabour positions.”

Mr Quinlan added: “You tell me one party out there who doesn’t look after their own. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s politics.” He asked why there isn’t more of a focus on the economy. “We were all nearly eating out of bins three years ago.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-water-director-hired-as-personal-driver-by-minister-1.1945863

Am i missing something though, hoe does a 15k s year position pay €665 a week?

Also....
    Mr Quinlan added: “You tell me one party out there who doesn’t look after their own. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s politics.” He asked why there isn’t more of a focus on the economy. “We were all nearly eating out of bins three years ago.”

Classic stuff.

Advertisement