Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog lovers & Partners

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Different for caring for or being cruel. If they don't care to the point that the animal is in trouble, then it's a problem. If they simply don't like the animal but still care enough so that the animal is safe, then what's the problem?
    For the vast majority of people, the animal is a part of the family. And someone who is going to be a part of your family (i.e. in a relationship with you) needs to accept that. That's different from liking your mother-in-law; Your mother-in-law doesn't live with you and doesn't need your care and attention. You can get away with being civil to your MIL when you see her. You can't really get away with being civil to your partner's dog.

Many people would put it on a par with children. If a partner said, "Yeah sure you can have kids, but I don't want much to do with them, I'm not interested", most people would run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Interesting replies indeed ;)

Relationships are also interesting.

But I think it is very possible and probably healthy for spouses to have different interests and preoccupations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

seamus wrote: »
    For the vast majority of people, the animal is a part of the family. And someone who is going to be a part of your family (i.e. in a relationship with you) needs to accept that. That's different from liking your mother-in-law; Your mother-in-law doesn't live with you and doesn't need your care and attention. You can get away with being civil to your MIL when you see her. You can't really get away with being civil to your partner's dog.

Many people would put it on a par with children. If a partner said, "Yeah sure you can have kids, but I don't want much to do with them, I'm not interested", most people would run a mile.

This is it exactly. If someone was a single parent with a kid, it would be number one on their list with a potential partner that they get on very well with the kid. Even if the person is caring, kind, and respects that you are a mother or a father, it's just not enough unless they are willing to develop a personal relationship with the kid. For anyone who loves their dog the way most people in this thread seem to, the requirements are exactly the same.

Love me, love my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Graces7 wrote: »
    Interesting replies indeed ;)

Relationships are also interesting.

But I think it is very possible and probably healthy for spouses to have different interests and preoccupations.

It absolutely is, I agree with you there. But I think it depends on what you define as an 'interest'. Sci-fi would be one of my interests, but I wouldn't give up on a relationship just because the guy thought it was rubbish so long as he shut up and let me watch my shows in peace!
    But having a dog is not an interest of mine. I look upon dogs as companions and members of the family. It will take a serious change in financial circumstances and health for me not to have one in my life. Any future boyfriend would have to at least be tolerant of my dogs and their place in my life. I wouldn't be much pushed if he never had one before in his life before. Same as, if I wanted the relationship to go somewhere, I would try to understand and tolerate a situation where he might have a child or a busy job.
    I suppose it boils down to if you care enough about the other person, you'll do your best to deal with whatever they bring with them to the relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Graces7 wrote: »

This is true, for example while I'm typing away here my bf is playing his playstation or if I'm out doing a bit of gardening he could be out washing and polishing his car. Those imo are interests, but for me not loving my animals is deal breaker, they are not an interest they are a lifestyle, my life literally revolves around them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I am not pushed if somebody loves dogs but they better not try and make me chose between them and my bonny. It will always be my bonny I will chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Discodog wrote: »
    This is nightmare for single male dog lovers in Ireland - speaks from experience ;). A lot of Irish females do not like dogs. Some will "like" the dog provided that it lives outdoors & she has no involvement in it's welfare. A tiny minority will understand that having two big dogs in the house that get regular kisses & cuddles is normal.

I was recently set up during a dinner party. Several jokes were made about my dogs living indoors (plenty here still find this odd). The female in question said "He would rather live with me than with them - they would soon be in a kennel !". Er wrong !.

A friend sent me a link to a dating site for animal lovers. Lots in America, many in the UK & none in Ireland. To me if someone shows kindness & compassion to an animal then this may indicate that they are a caring person. It should be a positive but clearly a lot of Irish women disagree - or maybe I need to shower more !.

Thanks thsi is exactly me! HA:D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

i would have to say that it would be a deal breaker for me i have one dog but my long term plan is to move back to the countryside specifically so i can have more dogs get hens etc, so there is no way i could go out with a guy if he didnt at least like the dog the dog with the view to loving him!!

hey just a thought for someone with a bit of time on their hands (not me) could set up an irish internet dating animally themed website??

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Hence the reason im on my own...

• Advertisement

hey just a thought for someone with a bit of time on their hands (not me) could set up an irish internet dating animally themed website??
    good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have dogs, cats and a child....theres no hope for me:P
    I do find it shocking the amount of people that come to my house and comment on my pets all being inside, i wouldn't dream of commenting on their furniture or decor saying "I wouldn't have that in my house".
    As for finding someone who likes animals, and accepts they are as much a part of my life as my child....don't think its gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There are dating sites for animal lovers but no Irish people use them - yes I checked !. I have just made my prospects even worse as a new baby has joined my pack. One of my neighbours thought that I was mad to take in an adorable stray as I already have two big dogs. They said that I would not have room to move, to which I pointed out that my three dogs take up less space than a wife & kids !.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think if the person in question could accept the dogs/cats place in my life I could allow for them not being a huge animal lover. When I first moved in with my OH he tried to make me choose between him and my cats. Needless to say, I offered to pack his bags for him. He realised how serious I was and it was never brought up again. He never became best friends with them, but he accpted I love them and he looks after them as well as I do. Not from love of them, but for love of me.

I do prefer to have an OH who enjoys the great outdoors. Doing things with the dog takes up a lot of my free time, and it's not optional, it's necessary for his health and happiness so any partner would have to like it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

If it's not one thing then it is another ;).

I have quietly resigned myself to the fact that I will spend the rest of my life alone and misunderstood :D.

Living with Bull Breeds, running a Bull Breed Rescue and being outspoken and saying what I am thinking, foot-in-mouth disease ;) so to say - I don't stand a chance on the dating market.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

*quietly wonders how EGAR and DiscoDog would get along* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

We know each other personally and no, it would not work ;).

EGAR wrote: »
    We know each other personally and no, it would not work ;).

I agree however I should point out that we are both really nice - wouldn't want to put anyone else off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Ah you sound lovely Discodog.

So what are the names of the Irish dating websites for animal lovers???!!!

My friends and family all think I am nuts too...4 dogs and 4 cats, 7 rabbits and a horse!

However I do think it's a good way to meet people as dogs are a major talking point when you bring them out. Everyone stops for a chat....just waiting for the right one to say "hey let's meet at the beach with all the dogs tomorrow"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

Absolutly! I couldnt be with h2b if he didnt love dogs but thankfully he does :D

Now he wasnt mad about cats when he met me but thats coz he got turned off them in his friends house who had about 10 cats that sat up on the table/kitchen counter top etc and he didnt like that!

But he loves our 3 cats now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

the dog I had in my 20s was responsible for finding me at least 2 boyfriends. She drove away some unsuitables too;) It's the best way to meet other animal lovers. Unfortunately now I can only have cats, that avenue's gone. Not a lot of Irish men who love cats out there...

Eibhin wrote: »
    Ah you sound lovely Discodog.
    So what are the names of the Irish dating websites for animal lovers???!!!

I sound nice - the problem starts when you see me :eek:

My chances have just nose dived even further. My new dog (stray) has a sore nose which I am treating with Fucidin. My Vet suggested wearing rubber gloves when applying it.

As I was getting a bit low on disposables I cut the fingers off a few pairs so that I could use one finger instead of wasting the whole glove. My rather attractive neighbour's daughter called in & spotted a pile of rubber glove fingers :o

i love it just what you need your neighbours thinking you are a cheapskate weirdo who just cuts the tops of fingers off gloves in your spare time! cant say anyone ever stops to talk to me about my dog cos he lunges at other dogs so people tend to cross the road:(

oh Disco you never change you are hilarious.would love to interview your neighbours and ask them what they think of you lol.It would make a great book.

i love it just what you need your neighbours thinking you are a cheapskate weirdo who just cuts the tops of fingers off gloves in your spare time!

I think that she was more concerned about why I needed the fingers !

My neighbours think that I am sound. Luckily I have one neighbour who is a real dog lover & they understand, however some think me mad to have two big dogs in a small house - now it's 3 dogs luckily the new chap is not so big !.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

oh my God Discodog that is hilarious....only an animally person would do something like that!! I have been laughing out loud reading it! And by the way don't be so hard on yourself!

If it's any consolation my neighbours think I am totally nuts too.

As I do boarding, they never really know how many dogs are here! (and I have 4 of my own..plus one foster at the moment that seems to be going nowhere!)

But it's a happy calm house and that's all that matters!

P.S.- how is the dog's nose!!

Advertisement