Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[MOTU] What's your favourite Unexplained Mystery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Incorruptable corpses, does that count? you're ones seem more interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Rasheed wrote: »
    Incorruptable corpses, does that count? you're ones seem more interesting!

Whats an incorruptable corpse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Oracle wrote: »
    Whats an incorruptable corpse?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorruptibility

It was said that to become a saint, your corpse must not decompose like a normal corpse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

dr ro wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about the story about the u.s.air force insignia wings that were found in the desert somewhere and carbon dated to ten thousand years old. Heard this years ago but don't know anything else about it.

Had a quick google,and it tossed up this thread.

I'm calling shenanigans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

yeah it is more than likely not true. I was told it years ago by someone who believed it himself. I've Googled it many times myself and found nothing, i thought someone here may have heard something. Obviously not. If i ever find anything, I'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

Had a quick google,and it tossed up this thread.

I'm calling shenanigans.

+1. Not much to go on with the Man from Taured mystery either e.g no first hand accounts etc. Urban myth more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

Mine would be the mystery of Jack the Ripper. That was one sick puppy!

Also, Id love to know the truth about Maddie McCann's disappearance.

Oh and how they get the figs into the fig rolls :D Sorry, just couldn't resist that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

childsplay wrote: »

There's only one plausible explanation. Her parents cooked and then ate her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

krd wrote: »
    There's only one plausible explanation. Her parents cooked and then ate her.

Unfunny.

• Advertisement

One of my favs would be The Tunguska Incident

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

EnterNow wrote: »
    One of my favs would be The Tunguska Incident

Most likely a meteor strike.

FishHook wrote: »
    Most likely a meteor strike.

The largest impact event in recorded history, & not a scrap of evidence or crater indicating what it was. I love it :) Your probably right & the meteor exploded in mid air, but we'll never know...it was 1000 times more powerful than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima whatever it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

childsplay wrote: »
    Mine would be the mystery of Jack the Ripper. That was one sick puppy!

Oh and how they get the figs into the fig rolls :D Sorry, just couldn't resist that one.

i think he was a member of the royalty or upper classes

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

i think he was a member of the royalty or upper classes

Yes that was a theory alright. Even Queen Victoria's nephew was put in the frame, but we'll probably never know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The largest impact event in recorded history, & not a scrap of evidence or crater indicating what it was. I love it :) Your probably right & the meteor exploded in mid air, but we'll never know...it was 1000 times more powerful than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima whatever it was
    Strange that it hit one of the remotest places on earth,one hundred miles either way and it would have wiped out thousands of people,I read in a book that some witnesses said that they saw the object in the air and it changed course,a meteorite wouldn't do that.It's a great mystery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Why everybody who has sleep paralysis see's the same hooded figure looking over them....

shanered wrote: »
    Why everybody who has sleep paralysis see's the same hooded figure looking over them....

They do?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

They don't. But those that do, I imagine it's due to the engrained mental associations with such hooded figures. (Death etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neathlankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island

Its really really odd- what the hell was buried there?

• Advertisement

Possibly, its just that whenever I read any of the sleep paralysis threads or have talked to anybody who has experianced it there always seems to be figures standing over them.....
    Didn't mean to have a claim that's not true input....

Possibly, its just that whenever I read any of the sleep paralysis threads or have talked to anybody who has experianced it there always seems to be figures standing over them.....
    Didn't mean to have a claim that's not true input....

Figures yeah, but the same one?

The one time I saw a figure while suffering sleep paralysis, I thought it was my ex standing there though I knew he was in the kitchen. Certainly wasn't hooded :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Hooded figure not so much. Have experienced sleep paralysis close to 50 times in my estimate. At one point I was experiencing it twice a week. It ended up being annoying in the end. Bad dream where I would be pinned to the floor, by a large assailant. I would immediately wake up. I would be frustrated by my inability to move, despite knowing I was awake, struggling for a couple of minutes at most to move turn over and go asleep.
    I would say only the first 2 or 3 times were daunting.

I think medical science has explained Sleep Paralysis well enough for it to be in no way considered 'mysterious' or paranormal

Ah fair enough, sorry for bring that in a messing up the discussion!

Ah sure its all discussion, & I love new posts in this forum! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

You brought sleep paralysis to my attention which I had not been very familiar with before. It is, in itself, a mysterious enough condition. Many sufferers have referred to a hooded figure. Bit odd and unsettling.

I just find that the similarity of it all just erks me out a little :eek:, just too common and similar with so many people with the same vision.
    Suppose its a personal observation mystery to be exact. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Actually the more common appearance is that of an old woman hence the other name for the condition, Old Hag syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

I think medical science has explained Sleep Paralysis well enough for it to be in no way considered 'mysterious' or paranormal

So far as what is constituted in the realm of medical science can explain.
    I'm not trying to suggest cases of sleep paralysis have some external source, whether visitation, brief shots of the afterlife or perhaps OOBE related, but I couldn't claim to write off every moment as physically explainable. For example, medical science may explain the chemicals that may induce it, the stages and times that amount to the occurrence etc., and what may trigger it in the first place may be traceable too. For example, I normally get it during an inconsistent sleep, stressed times or when I have a fever, but not always. However, I believe that sleep paralysis, though not perhaps in itself a case of a 'paranormal' phenomenon, may at times occur as a sort of "side-effect" to something unique going on at the time. If there was ever for example, a dream visitation that caused stress to the dreamer, perhaps the dreamer claiming to see this man who haunts the place he/she is staying in, and becomes lucid, struggles to wake up, at a particular phase of sleep and stress levels rocket his/her sleep pattern out of control, possibly inducing sleep paralysis. I believe a long time ago I came across a very similar story someone once recalled. Energies (in a very broad sense of the term), I believe, may induce it, and perhaps in the example above, can be controlled to an extent by an external source temporarily at least - especially incorporating the dream aspect (and visitation if possible); one's own imagery can lead to a very unsettling experience.

Yes I'm sure medical science has more empirical evidence and evidence in general than this post has very briefly alluded to of a certain kind of explanation, but if it took almost 2,000 years to dispute spontaneous generation, I'm sure there is much to be studied on a relatively new area of research ;) - not just sleep paralysis for that matter!

Sorry for going a little off-topic, I'm aware of the sleep paralysis thread but I thought I would respond to it from this post. I am always weary about unusual occurrences such as sleep paralysis since it is connected with sleeping (and the brain states of sleeping I often find potentially linked with some things people class as "mysterious" or "paranormal").

Advertisement