Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have anything good to say about wood pellet boiler systems ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Iv never seen one that worked properly. And seen alot that were pulled out.

They only work on a huge scale where they run constantly and heat block of houses. 30 -100 And you get charged for heat you use.

They are not even slightly workable for the way irish want to use boilers. Instant heat and turning it on for a hour or so morning and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Captain Pike

ok.. getting worried now!! Anyone know of anybody who can service or advise me on how to set it up right in the Carlow Kilkenny area? The guy I got it off is on holiday for a week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

ok.. getting worried now!! Anyone know of anybody who can service or advise me on how to set it up right in the Carlow Kilkenny area? The guy I got it off is on holiday for a week!!!

I wouldn't get anyone else to go near it yet.Wait for your man to come back from holiday and then sort it out with him.If you get anyone else he might blame them for tampering with his installation and then try and get out of guarantying it.
    So leave it alone for the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

I done the installers course in Grants last year, and have priced two. One is a non runner I think, the other is for a new house, due to start in a few weeks. I wasn't that keen on pellet boilers beforehand, but the reassuring thing about the boiler is who is making it. There is 8 or 10 fitted around Athlone, and I have spoke to two of the plumbers who fitted them for "courage", and they have nothing bad to say. One said that the only problem was one householder got cheap bagged pellets, which produced a load of sand & clinker. He went back to the Balcas pellets, and no hassle since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 luapy2

i,ve been involved in a related business not long now, maybe 27,28 years and i have never had anyone hand me 9k for something that will do exactly as it says on the tin "maybe" proceed with extreme caution there are so many top quality pellet boilers installed and not set up properly actually bought one from a customer myself ,yep second hand , --ite pellets , serviced by a pal of yer man in the pub. brought it home set it up and costing me 53% of oil it modulates and auto ignites when required . 28 days running with only a handful of ash in the pan.so when it comes to renewable energy its what you require and if it suits you and your life style. pellet boilers do work, all you need is right boiler right location , right installer. oh and "an open mind." and lobby your local td to have grants reinstated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

luapy2 wrote: »
    serviced by a pal of yer man in the pub. .

you cant beat the lad down the pub.

same guys usually know a little bit about everything and a lot about nothing.

I only heard an eejit at the weekend telling a lad in the pub he would need an inch pipe to feed his oil burner. unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

you cant beat the lad down the pub.

same guys usually know a little bit about everything and a lot about nothing.

I only heard an eejit at the weekend telling a lad in the pub he would need an inch pipe to feed his oil burner. unreal.
    Maybe he was talking about his 500 kw boilers that run his hotel! Then 1" would be enough!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Maybe he was talking about his 500 kw boilers that run his hotel! Then 1" would be enough!!

i dont know. i never went bigger than 10mm for a single boiler .ill have to look up me oftec books.

i dont know. i never went bigger than 10mm for a single boiler .ill have to look up me oftec books.

10mm is enough for nearly every domestic situation.
    The problem caused by over-sizing an oil line is cavitation of the oil. It will bring air to the oil pump & eventually wreck the pump. Similar to air being caught in a heating system circulating pump.

• Advertisement

I was only kidding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

shane0007 wrote: »
    10mm is enough for nearly every domestic situation.
    The problem caused by over-sizing an oil line is cavitation of the oil. It will bring air to the oil pump & eventually wreck the pump. Similar to air being caught in a heating system circulating pump.

Not if you use a transfer pump and a zwiky valve!

Not if you use a transfer pump and a zwiky valve!

What's a zwiky valve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Dtp79 wrote: »
    What's a zwiky valve?

Like a constant pressure regulating valve.

Like a constant pressure regulating valve.

Cavitation could still happen if the pipe was over-sized from the pressure regulating valve to the oil pump, but I do get your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 optimumIQ

I have to agree there are some terrible boilers out there with no back up or assistance when a fault occurs, but there are also some excellent machines on the market that have outstanding performance that dont break down.
    I also have to agree with the standard of Pellets that are also available moisture content that is to high delivery methods that are sub standard and dust levels that need to be addressed, you cant run a petrol car with diesel. If you are thinking about installing a wood pellet boiler make sure you do alot of research first and dont believe what some of these oil men tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭zoom_cool

I have pellet stove for the last 3 years not a single problem and my cousin has a ETA pellet boiler and has no problems with it either. The biggest problem I think is bad quality pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 optimumIQ

I find that boilers that have an in built dust extraction can handle the poor quality pellets better and solve issues such as faulty ignition and jammed/blocked pellet feeds, i also think that boilers like ETA or FROILING or other high end machines although more expensive should be considered an investment rather than a once off cost when installing them.

Advertisement