Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when an unknown/blocked number rings you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

If it's someone like that I don't want to talk to I can just hang up on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Undergod wrote: »
    If it's someone like that I don't want to talk to I can just hang up on them.
    Some people don't get the message.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Answer, obviously.

Could be someone you know ran out of credit and got a loan of a strangers phone who has the number blocked.
    or
    Some payphones still exist out there and may have no number displayed.
    or
    your friend was playing with settings/settings got adjusted while phone bouncing around in pocket, he's calling to invite you to the awesome thing.

so its a gamble of (someone you know who badly needs your help) VS (oh sorry wrong number).

worst case scenario is 'hi its steve calling, did you know you could save up to 30% on yo' - bleeep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

anncoates wrote: »
    Never answer it.

They can leave a message if it's important.

It's nearly always something like a recruitment agency or cold caller.

If a mate ever rings me from a different phone, like a work one, I'll save it so I recognize it in future.
    I have the voicemail deactivated in my phone, can never be arsed listening to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ethel

I answer it. I can't understand why people are so terrified of undisclosed numbers, but they are.

Nobody is 'terrified' to answer a blocked call. I'm not terrified to answer a blocked call. I choose not to answer for the same reason I won't answer my door unless I'm expecting someone. I like my privacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A man named Frank Garrett has been phoning me on a blocked number the past few nights and cursing me out of it. Elderly sounding chap, says he operates a pole barn building company somewhere in Oklahoma. I'm totally confused by it. :confused::(

Answer, obviously.

Could be someone you know ran out of credit and got a loan of a strangers phone who has the number blocked.
    or
    or
    your friend was playing with settings/settings got adjusted while phone bouncing around in pocket, he's calling to invite you to the awesome thing.

so its a gamble of (someone you know who badly needs your help) VS (oh sorry wrong number).

worst case scenario is 'hi its steve calling, did you know you could save up to 30% on yo' - bleeep.
    Ex directory landlines show up as private too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

I answer it. Could be work related or hopefully a new customer that got my number from someone else. Could be a wrong number. Could be the Microsoft people calling me to fix my computer and I can bull$hit them back for a while until I get bored of it. Could be many things. If I find out the caller is someone that I don't want to talk to I tell them that. Its only a phone call for christsakes

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

LadyAthame wrote: »
    Some people don't get the message.

For dealing with a specific problem, like a weirdo stalker, it makes sense to me; as a general policy I've always found it a bit bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

The blocked numbers used to precede the registered letters. Now I just don't give a damn and answer them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Aw, you hung up too early. Now we'll never know what Steve was trying to save us 30% on! It could've been something really cool like... love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Ethel wrote: »
    Nobody is 'terrified' to answer a blocked call. I'm not terrified to answer a blocked call. I choose not to answer for the same reason I won't answer my door unless I'm expecting someone. I like my privacy.
    I've known people to have used the "You wouldn't answer your door to someone wearing a balaclava" analogy (worst analogy ever) in relation to this though :pac: that's what I was thinking of when I used the word "terrified".
    I don't answer the door (after checking out the window and seeing it's a Jehovah's Witness or Airtricity sales rep) either. I don't think answering your phone is comparable though - it's just a matter of pressing a button and then pressing another button to end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do YOU like scary movies op.

I can see what you are doing right now.

Don't turn around........
    Private number calls are never good either the cops or a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Actually! Smartphone batteries being **** as they are, I was due to meet someone in (Dublin) town but we hadn't arranged a time/place as they didn't know when their luas would arrive so I sat in a cafe off Grafton to wait. My phone ended up dying so I went up to Stephen's Green to use a payphone. Every single one of them had been plastered with "Sorry this phone has been disconnected" and the date of disconnection was a week previous. :mad:

I ended up finding them in the crowd getting off the next luas but if someone was in a genuinely stressful situation, where are they meant to find a phone? :confused:

It's your phone do what you like.

I do get nervy about it and don't like answering it that's why. i know they will leave a message ...if its a genuine call ..if they are private enough to use blocking they should respect the privacy of others.

Mostly if you get a call from a private number they don't leave a message. I have never gotten a message from a private number what does that tell you?

If they dont leave a message then it doesn't tell you very much at all.

Lol ok you do what you want it's your phone. What a thead!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

wasn't important so

Actually! Smartphone batteries being **** as they are, I was due to meet someone in (Dublin) town but we hadn't arranged a time/place as they didn't know when their luas would arrive so I sat in a cafe off Grafton to wait. My phone ended up dying so I went up to Stephen's Green to use a payphone. Every single one of them had been plastered with "Sorry this phone has been disconnected" and the date of disconnection was a week previous. :mad:

I ended up finding them in the crowd getting off the next luas but if someone was in a genuinely stressful situation, where are they meant to find a phone? :confused:

You can sometimes recharge your dead phone battery while outdoors by drinking your own piss, Bear Ghrylls had it in his video.

It tells me if you're not going to bother answering why should I bother leaving you a message. :)

• Advertisement

My phone is less a 'phone' more a 'candy crush machine that occasionally receives phonecalls'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

My phone is less a 'phone' more a 'candy crush machine that occasionally receives phonecalls'.

Are you my wife. Sounds very familiar.

It's your phone do what you like.

I do get nervy about it and don't like answering it that's why. i know they will leave a message ...if its a genuine call ..if they are private enough to use blocking they should respect the privacy of others.

Mostly if you get a call from a private number they don't leave a message. I have never gotten a message from a private number what does that tell you?

That if you answer a blocked number an erection will come through the ear piece and get ya.

stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'll answer it unless it's a weird foreign number. My dads phone is blocked number and my parents and my home phone is ex-directory so if it's blocked it could be one of them. I've also been applying for loads of jobs recently so it could be to someone asking me for interview too.

In the future, there will be street stalls selling phones so you can accessorise your billpay selfie stick.

That if you answer a blocked number an erection will come through the ear piece and get ya.

stay safe.
    Yeah ...there is a lot I could say here....

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Are you my wife. Sounds very familiar.

I might be. You could try ringing me to find out but then you'd be interrupting my game of candy crush.

If you ring from a blocked number I don't want you calling me and I don't want to talk to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

In the future, there will be street stalls selling phones so you can accessorise your billpay selfie stick.

In the future peoples phones will be in their brains wired into their eyeballs. Like the Terminator but with less red colours and more facebook

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

Lol ok you do what you want it's your phone. What a thead!

I don't think anyone is trying to force anyone else to change!

Advertisement