Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when an unknown/blocked number rings you?

Options
  • 02-05-2015 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Usually if a number is blocked and I'm not expecting a call, I won't pick up. Just there I got a call that my phone says came from Limerick/Scariff (061) area code. I picked up and the caller hung up immediately. Weird I thought. I don't even know anyone from Limerick; who gave you my number or how dare you type mine by mistake :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I don't answer blocked numbers unless I'm expecting a call. If it's important they'll leave a message. I hate talking to strangers on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I dont answer private numbers as a rule

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Have a ****. Wait, what was the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I usually answer in an abrupt tone of voice, just in case it's somebody trying to sell me something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I answer all calls except the 061 numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I answer it. I can't understand why people are so terrified of undisclosed numbers, but they are. Not sure what they're afraid of happening to them if they answer though. When there was no caller ID they just answered, so there appears to be something perhaps a little faddy about it.
    If it's a cold call I just say "Sorry, I'm not free at the moment" and hang up. It usually is a cold call, but you can't always know. At the moment there's something up with my friend's phone so calls from her come up as blocked number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Caller ID is the worst innovation in the history of the human race. Used to be when the phone rang you answered it, now it's a case a looking at the screen like it''s the control panel of a thermonuclear warhead, then frantically googling the number to see if you can figure out who it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Caller ID is the worst innovation in the history of the human race. Used to be when the phone rang you answered it, now it's a case a looking at the screen like it''s the control panel of a thermonuclear warhead, then frantically googling the number to see if you can figure out who it is.

Ha ha. That's like my grandparents passing a letter from one to the other saying, I wonder who its from repeatedly, just open it ffs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I don't want to talk to strangers though. If I didn't give you my number who are you to be calling me like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

PANIC!

What I tend to do is; I place the phone carefully on the table, cover it with a saucepan, put something fairly heavy on top of the saucepan and then set the house on fire, and run like hell. Just to be really sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

RayM wrote: »
    I usually answer in an abrupt tone of voice, just in case it's somebody trying to sell me something.

Does that stop the trying to sell stuff? or does it just come accross as weird if you then realise you know the person and immediately change your tone?

I don't want to talk to strangers though. If I didn't give you my number who are you to be calling me like.
    How do you know they are strangers if you don't answer it? It could be someone you know ringing from another phone for any multitude of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

I don't answer. Why are you witholding your number?

My phone has an app which searches its directory for the number calling me, and shows what company it is etc, it also warns me if others have reported the number as spam and allows me to block numbers easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

How do you know they are strangers if you don't answer it? It could be someone you know ringing from another phone for any multitude of reasons.

They'd leave a voicemail if it was important. Besides that, it's very rare I get a call that's not from work, I prefer face to face for long chats or texts for short ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

My phone has an app which searches its directory for the number calling me, and shows what company it is etc, it also warns me if others have reported the number as spam and allows me to block numbers easily.

What's the app?

Yeah? Well, em, my phone has a calculator in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

You answer it and just like the olden days you call out your phone number digit by digit

Yeah, well, my phone has a calculator in it.
    I don't use apps either! :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, well, my phone has a calculator in it.

Oh yeah? did it make the list of the top 14 calculator apps?
    http://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-calculator-apps-577878/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

I go straight to Boards and stick up a post about it.

I had to bin my last phone because the dialler gave up on it. Smartphones, an app for everything except a fcuking phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Usually when my phone rings I answer it like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Does that stop the trying to sell stuff? or does it just come accross as weird if you then realise you know the person and immediately change your tone?

It makes the "sorry, I'm busy right now" sound more sincere. If it's someone I know, I either apologise for using my 'blocked number voice' or ask them why the fuck they're ringing from a blocked number (depending on how well I know them).

I don't know and I can't check it right now. An unknown number tried to ring me there a minute ago so I had to get the matches out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

LadyAthame wrote: »
    I don't answer. Why are you witholding your number?
    Probably not for a sinister reason.
    Undergod wrote: »
    Usually when my phone rings I answer it like.
    What?! Mad, crazy carry-on!

Yeah well i don't shrug. I don't even like talking on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Never answer it.

They can leave a message if it's important.

It's nearly always something like a recruitment agency or cold caller.

If a mate ever rings me from a different phone, like a work one, I'll save it so I recognize it in future.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Never answer it.

They can leave a message if it's important.

It's nearly always something like a recruitment agency or cold caller.
    Exactly they will leave a message and you can call back.

Advertisement