Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacred Cows (people no one dares criticise)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Robbing b@stards yet the sheeple keep contributing to them :mad:

Who did they rob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

What's with the Obama mentions? I've seen people actually call him a nazi, not simply compare him to one but deem him one. He's so little of a sacred cow that people who don't even know what they're criticising, criticise him. He is one of the most fashionable public figures to criticise
    That Hawking fella that talks through a computer, talks through his arse more like. The amount of glorification that man gets beggars belief.
    Yeah, his insight into theoretical physics is just... talking "through his arse". Quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

dirtyden wrote:
    Who did they rob?

All the players who play with them for free.

Every member of the public who has sat through their stupid final twice because of terrible and deliberately unfair refereeing.

What a joke of an Association.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I know it was mentioned. That's why I responded to it. No one gave him a pass for it. You said people "still respect[ed] him" afterward.

I saw several people on Twitter and Facebook mock him and say he had dementia because of that incident.

He was mocked and deservedly so, for acting the fool. That's history now.

The fact is that the man has a massive amount of respect for a lifetime of achievements and awards.

He is an icon.

You say he's not a sacred cow. I say he is. So, we disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Adolf Hitler
    ookkkaaaaayyy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭blackcard

Chloris wrote: »
    All the players who play with them for free.

Every member of the public who has sat through their stupid final twice because of terrible and deliberately unfair refereeing.

What a joke of an Association.
    The GAA do not force anyone to play nor do they force anyone to sit through matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

RayM wrote: »
    The GAA.

I don't think the GAA is a sacred cow.There's a thread on this forum every second week having a go at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Robbing b@stards yet the sheeple keep contributing to them :mad:

Who have they robbed?

blackcard wrote:
    The GAA do not force anyone to play nor do they force anyone to sit through matches
    They happily take the money though, what happens to that? It goes to a bunch of suits, albeit culchie suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't think the GAA is a sacred cow.There's a thread on this forum every second week having a go at it.

I've been called a 'West Brit' before, simply for expressing my lack of interest in the All Ireland Final. I dislike rugby and football too, but disliking Gaelic seems to provoke a stronger reaction.

• Advertisement

They happily take the money though, what happens to that? It goes to a bunch of suits, albeit culchie suits.

The GAA is what makes us
    Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

razorblunt wrote: »
    I thought that poor kid Walsh who lost his battle with cancer got away with some pretty idiotic attitudes towards suicide/depression just before he passed away.

This, all of this x 1,000,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Yeah, and the moon landing was filmed by Stanley Kubrick in New Mexico man and, and, and the Queen of England is a 6ft lizard from Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

razorblunt wrote: »
    I thought that poor kid Walsh who lost his battle with cancer got away with some pretty idiotic attitudes towards suicide/depression just before he passed away.

more ignorant than idiotic tbf
    as others in thread said, RTE and other media shouldn't have given him such a platform

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Dave grohl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

blackcard wrote: »
    The GAA is what makes us
    Irish

See, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about...

Yeah, and the moon landing was filmed by Stanley Kubrick in New Mexico man and, and, and the Queen of England is a 6ft lizard from Mars.

And you like cricket. Your local sports team sucks.

All you're all doing is giving more credence to my argument that the GAA is this seething, untouchable leech that Irish people will defend to death, empty their pockets to support, but refuse to point out the gaping flaws in.

Could be a good new slogan for them:

The GAA: The Unreachable, Inflamed Prostate of Sacred Cows

See, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about...

You can ignore the Gaa if you like. It is not a criminal offence

That Hawking fella that talks through a computer, talks through his arse more like. The amount of glorification that man gets beggars belief.

Simmer down.

blackcard wrote:
    You can ignore the Gaa if you like. It is not a criminal offence
    I'd rather point out the huge unfairness of the organisation. I actually like watching the matches but I can't support a supposed community-driven Association which has 0 financial accountability.

I can't believe people still don't see the irony of defending the GAA in this of all threads.

• Advertisement

Lazy people are the ultimate sacred cow. They hide amongst the genuinely vulnerable shouting about wealth taxes and bemoaning the lack of opportunities when in reality if there was work in the bed they'd sleep on the floor and they're happy on welfare, they'd just rather it was higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

blackcard wrote: »
    The GAA is what makes us
    Irish

What an odd statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Miriam O Callaghan.

Seriouslayyyyyy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

No it goes back into facilities in clubs around the country and into games development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Ed sheeran ever since the Xmas toy show,he's probably smoking crack rock and having orgies with playboy bunnies behind it all

I'd rather point out the huge unfairness of the organisation. I actually like watching the matches but I can't support a supposed community-driven Association which has 0 financial accountability.

I can't believe people still don't see the irony of defending the GAA in this of all threads.

This thread is about sacred cows. The Gaa are constantly criticised which is the way it should be. But the positive far outweighs the negative
    I only have to see the all the kids pucking around a ball at half time during a match to see the enjoyment it brings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I've been called a 'West Brit' before, simply for expressing my lack of interest in the All Ireland Final. I dislike rugby and football too, but disliking Gaelic seems to provoke a stronger reaction.

So you criticised them. Maybe you don't understand this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Constantly being criticised - the McCanns to the point of being regularly accused, not just suspected of but accused, of murder, with zero concrete evidence.

I wonder will this thread end up being reams and reams of people who are constantly criticised? Yes. Yes I think it will.
    Travellers and muslims and gay people and black people will obviously be included but they're all regularly criticised.

I think the OP means individuals who are fawned over and it seems totally against the grain to criticise them.
    I would have said this was the case with Stephen Fry before, but I think people are seeing what he can be like now.

What the hell has stephen fry done wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Nonsense. This thread is for sacred cows and the GAA is dismissed as bog ball all the time. I'm a rugby man myself but As an outsider the organisation seems well run and ploughs most of the money back into the community, youth programmes or properly built stadia. I don't see anybody getting rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'd always thought Stephen Fry had been roundly criticised and held up for the pseudo-intellectual albeit articulate windbag he is.
    He has been criticised quite vociferously; most of it coming from himself. It's hard to do it if you know something about what he's been through. The man has had seriously rough times in his life, including a troubled childhood and time in jail as a teenager, and is still clearly fragile today.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement