Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacred Cows (people no one dares criticise)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

Jayzis. Why not throw out bitter and chippy while you're there. Your attitude towards the people you 'work with' is beyond shìt.

But you're in good company in AH. Where people with disabilities, a group as heterogeneous as the larger population, are the evergreen pariah.

I have never once seen a post on AH that was ever seriously discrimstory towards persons with a disability. And if you read my previous post, you'll see that I would be fairly alert to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Yeah I have a disability. I'm in a wheelchair myself from my spine being broken from a car crash that I was a passenger in. I know all about 'physical pain and anguish', more than I'd wish on my worst enemy, so go easy on the passive agreesiveness.
    Alright, I'll accept in that case that you certainly have more grounds than most to pass judgement.

I still stand by (excuse the pun) my statement that a disproportionate amount of people with disabilities are selfish and self centred. They can't help it, they've had people making excuses for them all their lives so they eventually buy into it and come to expect special treatment.
    I was at a course with some colleagues today and a girl down the back said that a client she works with had a history of going off on the employees. The lady is paralysed, elderly and infirmed but God does she have a mouth on her. I've worked with her and I can kind of understand where the girl was coming from, but any time the lady started getting cantankerous and nasty with me, I'd distract her and throw her off course rather than let myself get messed up in her crankiness. She actually asks for me from the other carers, because she spends way less time being resentful and nasty when I'm around, thus probably enjoying things more as a result.

What I'm saying is, as somebody who doesn't have a physical disability, I don't have her or possibly your insights as to how difficult it is. So I have a lot more patience for somebody who is confined to a wheelchair than some shouty complainy person who can just get up and punch someone in the face and run away in literally any situation.

To get back to the sacred cows, I personally loathe George Hook and everyone who even attempts to defend him. He makes me furious to the point of insanity if I get so much as a whiff of him. I would sh1t on his wife's face just because she's married to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Chloris wrote: »
    I would sh1t on his wife's face just because she's married to him.

now that is one a hell of a sentence..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭blackcard

Des Cahill
    Bill O'Herlihy
    Hurricane Fly

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

Chloris wrote: »
    Alright, I'll accept in that case that you certainly have more grounds than most to pass judgement.

I was at a course with some colleagues today and a girl down the back said that a client she works with had a history of going off on the employees. The lady is paralysed, elderly and infirmed but God does she have a mouth on her. I've worked with her and I can kind of understand where the girl was coming from, but any time the lady started getting cantankerous and nasty with me, I'd distract her and throw her off course rather than let myself get messed up in her crankiness. She actually asks for me from the other carers, because she spends way less time being resentful and nasty when I'm around, thus probably enjoying things more as a result.

What I'm saying is, as somebody who doesn't have a physical disability, I don't have her or possibly your insights as to how difficult it is. So I have a lot more patience for somebody who is confined to a wheelchair than some shouty complainy person who can just get up and punch someone in the face and run away in literally any situation.

I know what you're saying and perhaps I'm harder on people with disabilities, especially physical ones like myself because I try so hard to be independent, so hard to be treated the same as everyone else that when I see something 'milking' their disability for something and getting snotty if everything doesn't go their way, it's drives me mad!

I was recently at a convention for wheelchair users. All ages, all shapes and sizes, all different causes of them being wheelchair users. The self entitlement that some of them had was unreal. It's genuinely shocked me. I think that older people who have had a disability for years are probably the worse. I think this is because they had to fight for everything all along, PA hours, accessibility, independent living, that now they have it they can't get out of the habit and keep fighting!

They strived to be treated the same as everyone else, and now they have it, they don't know what to do but keep going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Nelson Mandela.

Obviously did a lot of good, but he is indirectly responsible for the murders of many innocent civilians.

He did plead guilty to over 150 acts of public violence. Many people seem to forget about that. Innocent people, including women and children, killed by Mandela’s MK terrorists. Mandela saw no issue with the planting of bombs in public areas.

Here is a list of some of MK's attacks:

-Church Street West, Pretoria, on the 20 May 1983
    -Amanzimtoti Shopping complex KZN, 23 December 1985
    -Krugersdorp Magistrate’s Court, 17 March 1988
    -Durban Pick ‘n Pay shopping complex, 1 September 1986
    -Pretoria Sterland movie complex 16 April 1988 – limpet mine killed ANC terrorist M O Maponya instead
    -Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court, 20 May 1987
    -Roodepoort Standard Bank 3 June, 1988

Yeah, and you even have the extra insight of having lived for a time without your injury so yours is definitely a perspective worth considering.

I don't care who you're after as long as I can have a go at the Greeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Clint Eastwood, legend, The Man With No Name, composer and Oscar winning film director.

He can have a monologue with an empty chair and people will still respect him.

This is what he did to Sondra Locke, the actress who made six films with him:
    Former longtime companion Sondra Locke blasted Eastwood in her autobiography, "The Good, the Bad, and the Very Ugly," writing that he persuaded her to have two abortions and a tubal ligation under false pretenses, sabotaged her directorial career after they split up, and secretly fathered two children with another woman during the last three years of their relationship.

Sondra Locke filed a palimony lawsuit against him in 1989, after he changed the locks on their Bel-Air home and had her possessions placed in storage while she was directing the film Impulse (1990). Locke dropped the suit in 1990 in exchange for a multiyear development-directing pact at Warner Bros. According to Locke, the deal was a sham, and she discovered that Eastwood was compensating the studio to keep her out of work by rejecting any and all projects she pitched. In 1995, Locke sued Eastwood a second time, for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. In 1996, just minutes before a jury was to render a verdict in Locke's favor, the two parties agreed to settle for an undisclosed amount.

Not exactly the stand-up guy he plays in his films.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Aidan o Brien horse trainer
    Jimmy McGee
    Larry Gogan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Gay Byrne

Can't stand that man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Clint Eastwood, legend, The Man With No Name, composer and Oscar winning film director.

He can have a monologue with an empty chair and people will still respect him.

This is what he did to Sondra Locke, the actress who made six films with him:

Not exactly the stand-up guy he plays in his films.

I don't know what circles you hang around with, but Eastwood was torn to pieces on all social media I saw after endorsing Mitt Romney in 2012.

Not what I'd call a sacred cow.

Clueless people still regularly cite him as a "right-wing nut", when he is to the left of most people on most issues.

He is pro-gun control, pro-choice, pro-marijuana legislation, pro-same sex marriage and was against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Did he treat Sondra Locke badly? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Graham Norton. I mean i've never heard anything bad about him, and he seems like a pretty sound bloke. One of the best talk show hosts going today.

Why would people criticise him then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

That Hawking fella that talks through a computer, talks through his arse more like. The amount of glorification that man gets beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

lulu1 wrote: »
    Gay Byrne

Can't stand that man

He's criticised all the time. Unfairly I think.

Trad music songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The GAA.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Martin Luther King

A preacher, married man and a man of God and he could have made Tiger Woods jealous with the amount of women he had.

He had a wet dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 percy glendening

Adolf Hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I don't know what circles you hang around with, but Eastwood was torn to pieces on all social media I saw after endorsing Mitt Romney in 2012.

The old man talking to a chair incident was mentioned. Clint was mocked for making an eejit out of himself. Surely that's not what you mean by being 'torn to pieces'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

RayM wrote: »
    The GAA.
    Robbing b@stards yet the sheeple keep contributing to them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

father ted

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Obama is the exact opposite of a sacred cow. Go on social media and it's nothing but people tearing him to shreds.

I cant understand the irish medias love for this man I dont think any other country in the world is besotted with Obama even his own country America

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Chuck fcuking Norris.

Christ, just stop it already with all the Internet adulation :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

How is that a punchline? A punchline complements a feed line, creating a joke.

See this example, from Les Dawson.

Feed line: "There is a remote tribe that worships the number zero."

+ Punchline: "Is nothing sacred?"

= Joke

Sadowitz's line is not a punchline. It's just a sentence.
    Sounds like you take comedy too seriously.

father ted
    Do you actually dislike it or are you just using it as an example?

I'm interested to hear some criticisms!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭blackcard

RayM wrote: »
    The GAA.

You must be joking. Loads of people have a go at the GAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

The old man talking to a chair incident was mentioned. Clint was mocked for making an eejit out of himself. Surely that's not what you mean by being 'torn to pieces'?

I know it was mentioned. That's why I responded to it. No one gave him a pass for it. You said people "still respect[ed] him" afterward.

I saw several people on Twitter and Facebook mock him and say he had dementia because of that incident.

If he were a sacred cow that wouldn't have happened.

N

He is pro-gun control, pro-choice, pro-marijuana legislation, pro-same sex marriage and was against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Did he treat Sondra Locke badly? Yes.

Best to ignore those that critisise him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

He's criticised all the time. Unfairly I think.

Is he?

I definetly must get out more :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Irreverence is our only sacred cow.

Advertisement