Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Adolf Hitler

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili was nearly an orthodox priest though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life_of_Joseph_Stalin
    Shortly before the final exams, the Seminary abruptly raised school fees. Unable to pay, Ioseb quit the seminary in 1899 and missed his exams, for which he was officially expelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili was nearly an orthodox priest though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life_of_Joseph_Stalin

He got his own back on them though, blowing up the Moscow Cathedrals and sending thousands of priests to Gulags

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Hitler was Time magazines "Person of the Year" for 1938. That same year was the height of Yezhovshchina (Great Purge) where Stalin murdered over 10million people. Stalin was then awarded the same honour as Hitler a year later.

Yes but Time magazine Person of the Year is not necessarily given to a person for the good that they have done. I don't know the exact wording but it is given for being influential for better or worse. In the cases of Hitler and Stalin I would think it was the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

WildWater wrote: »
    Yes but Time magazine Person of the Year is not necessarily given to a person for the good that they have done. I don't know the exact wording but it is given for being influential for better or worse. In the cases of Hitler and Stalin I would think it was the latter.

Exactly, Hitler nearly got Person of the Century. Bin Laden was close to the top of the poll one year as well. TIME thing of the year just means most influential person or for that matter group. At the moment ISIL are probably on their shortlist. It does not mean the editors of Time are Islamist terrorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

No, since they renounced it. By that logic, all those self proclaimed atheists are actually Catholics
    The ones you mentioned renounced it, but did the ones mentioned by jmayo?

I'm not being anti catholic (anyone of any faith - or indeed no faith - can be, and has been, a monster) I'm just disputing that the Vatican was an enemy of the third reich.
    That doesn't mean that individual nazis didn't renounce it, like you said, or that individual catholic priests didn't resist the regime.
    Yes....thats why they tried to crush the church in Germany, and had many Polish priests sent to the concentration camps.....allies......
    Priests who resisted the regime, like anyone who resisted the regime and was caught, were sent to concentration camps for being political subversives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This is from an interview of Rabbi Dalin who wrote a book about how Pope Pius XII saved many Jews.

Woods: Faced with the fact that many Roman Jews were in fact saved by Catholics during World War II, many critics of Pius XII fall back on the argument that those Jews were saved by individual priests, bishops, religious, and laity rather than in response to a papal directive. What do you make of this claim?

Dalin: As I discuss in much detail in my book, this claim is historically false: There is much firsthand evidence testifying to Pius’s explicit instructions to save Jews, including that of Monsignor John Patrick Carroll-Abbing. Carroll-Abbing was the founder of Boys Towns of Italy and a confidant of Pius XII. He also, on explicit instructions from the pope, fed and sheltered Jews during the Nazi occupation of Rome. In his two memoirs, A Chance to Live and But for the Grace of God, published in 1952 and 1965, respectively, he provides extensive details about Pius XII’s rescue efforts on behalf of the Jews — efforts with which he was directly involved.
    In a remarkable interview given to Inside the Vatican (August/September 2001), Carroll-Abbing recounted how the pope had directly ordered him to save the Jews. He stressed that the claim of papal critics that he, and other Catholic rescuers like him, acted in spite of the pope’s silence, “is a blatant lie! I spoke to Pope Pius XII many times during the war, in person, face to face, and he told me not once but many times to assist the Jews…. I can personally testify that the pope gave me direct, face-to-face, verbal orders to rescue Jews.”
    During the Nazi occupation of Rome, three thousand Jews found refuge at one time at the pope’s summer residence at Castel Gandolfo. Amazingly, Castel Gandolfo is never mentioned or discussed in the anti-papal writings of many of the pope’s critics. Yet at no other site in Nazi-occupied Europe were as many Jews saved and sheltered for as long a period as at Castel Gandolfo during the Nazi occupation of Rome. Kosher food was provided for the Jews hidden there, where, as George Weigel has noted, Jewish children were born in the private apartments of Pius XII, which became a temporary obstetrical ward.
    Pius’s critics who do mention Castel Gandolfo argue — ludicrously — that the Jews were sheltered at the pope’s summer residence without direct papal knowledge or involvement. But the fact is that Castel Gandolfo is under the official jurisdiction of the pope and no one but he has the authority to open its doors. According to several eyewitnesses, including Monsignor Carroll-Abbing, that is precisely what Pius XII did.
    The firsthand testimony of Italian Cardinal Pietro Palazzini also refutes the fallacious claims of papal critics that those Italian Catholics who rescued Jews did not do so in response to papal directives. In 1985, Cardinal Palazzini was honored by Yad Vashem, Israel’s Holocaust Memorial, as a “righteous gentile,” who “had endangered his life” and gone “above and beyond the call of duty to save [Italian] Jews during the Holocaust.” When he was honored by Yad Vashem as a “righteous gentile,” Palazzini testified that Pius XII had personally ordered him to save and shelter Jews.

In Hungary the Church issued 80,000 baptismal certs to Jews so they could pretend they were Catholic and not Jewish.

This from a Jewish site:

It is now established that the Pope supervised a rescue network which saved 860,000 Jewish lives - more than all the international agencies put together.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/piusdef.htmlOn the first page of this thread there are some very ignorant comments towards the Catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Between Iceland and Op. Cottage we have two George Clooney vehicles ready to rock and roll. I'm on the beer so I probably will have a script by the weekend. Sooner if I score some blow.
    We'll need sex and explosions. Iceland has a volcano so that'll do. I assume women live there as well....**** i should be making notes.

i have not forgiven him for monument men yet....that was sh*te

but I'll take jude law and do the iceland one with bill murry playing the american commander who takes over the occupation after the british invaded (before I might add america formally entered the war)

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    i have not forgiven him for monument men yet....that was sh*te

but I'll take jude law and do the iceland one with bill murry playing the american commander who takes over the occupation after the british invaded (before I might add america formally entered the war)

Right, so we've got Jude Law (once you hire him a nanny he's on board), I'm in touch with Bill Murray's pizza delivery guy and Bill's up for it once we provide mermaids. Bruno Ganz has expressed interest in the Hitler role so we'll have to do a Hitler does Iceland segment - I'm thinking Bill on acid here.
    Yes, we have people. George is being evasive about WW2 things but I'll convince the lawyer chick to toss the bum for a month or so. 5 star in Reykjavik will swing his vote. We are a go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

jmayo wrote: »
    Oh AFAIK the vatican never publicly condemned the nazis and their attrocities until after the war.

Start/mid-war might not have been the best time to condemn the guy with the mechanized infantry brigades and the one way train tickets.

Kind of a no sudden movements and avoid eye contact time.

So if Catholics were a hindrance why did so many Austrians (approx 90% Catholic) make up a dispoportionate number of the Nazi party and organisations such as the SS.
    Actually might be interesting to get breakdown of the other nationalities in units like the Waffen SS to see what their religion were.
    I bet a good chunk of them were catholic.

Also remember the puppet Nazi leader of Slovakia was none other than a priest.

Humans have this thing where they can know that they shouldn't strictly be doing something, but do it anyway, and then make like it doesn't count because it was in Vegas/everyone has affairs/everyone else is juicing/its only 1 line/she looks old enough etc etc - it doesn't mean the scouts have a pro-pedo philosophy, it doesn't mean local govt have an official 'lets take bribes' policy.

Im pretty sure 100% of those Austrian Catholics, in the nazi party upon being faced with the fuhrers message to kill shortly after Sunday mass where they were told not to kill had a moment where they thought 'yeah but'.

Doesn't mean all the millions of others elsewhere did though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The ones you mentioned renounced it, but did the ones mentioned by jmayo

The ones I mentioned are the ones that jmayo mentioned. That's why I jumped into the thread, big historical inaccuracies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Right, so we've got Jude Law (once you hire him a nanny he's on board), I'm in touch with Bill Murray's pizza delivery guy and Bill's up for it once we provide mermaids. Bruno Ganz has expressed interest in the Hitler role so we'll have to do a Hitler does Iceland segment - I'm thinking Bill on acid here.
    Yes, we have people. George is being evasive about WW2 things but I'll convince the lawyer chick to toss the bum for a month or so. 5 star in Reykjavik will swing his vote. We are a go.

Definitely needs Zombies in there somewhere.

Definitely needs Zombies in there somewhere.

....they're arriving by UFO in the third act.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

4512 wrote: »
    Could Hitler's Nazi regime have lasted longer if it had made the Catholic church and the USSR an ally indtead of an enemy?

I'm confused, yes the USSR (with a bit of help from mother nature) finally put an end to hitlers shenanigans, but what the fúck did the catholic church do? Another mass?

I'm confused, yes the USSR (with a bit of help from mother nature) finally put an end to hitlers shenanigans, but what the fúck did the catholic church do? Another mass?

Mainly good in terms of sheltering Jews and facilitating the Allies. They had to pay lip service to Mussolini giving where the Vatican is situated. Rogue elements were involved in running ratlines out of Europe after the war.
    In terms of the overall course of the war, they were background actors. It was not a religious war.
    There are plenty of reasons to criticise the RCC. WW2 behaviour is way down the list. Their behaviour would be comparable to that of Ireland - neutral but an Allied shade of neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That's more or less my point - why would it have made a difference whether the church were either for or against or just couldn't give a rats arse, which they basically didn't, every cupboard in the vatican didn't have a couple of jews hiding in or anything like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Whaaaaaat?

Himmler saw himself as a vanguard to overcome Christianity and replace it with a non-judo centric Germanic way of living. Himmler saw the
    Christian principle of mercy as dangerous to his plans.

Reinhard Heydrich left the Catholic church with his wife in 1936, stating it was a dangerous institution to the State.

Hoess turned against religion in his teens after a priest broke the seal of confession, he renounced his religion and joined the Nazi party, but never officially left the church.

Fair enough some of them left or stop practicising, but were any of them excommunicated ?
    They were at one stage catholics and were reared as such.
    Goebbels renounced his religion while in University, later refering to Christianity as a "Symptom of decay" due to his Jewish origins. Goebbels led the persecution of clergy and created charges of immorality or currency smuggling. All Christian presses were closed under his watch.

Then again wasn't Goebbels one of those who subscribed to the idea that Christ was an Aryan like all the apostles bar Judas and that they could not possibly be Jewish.
    Start/mid-war might not have been the best time to condemn the guy with the mechanized infantry brigades and the one way train tickets.

They could have stood against them in the early 30s, but they didn't.
    In fact in 1933 they legitimised them in government.
    Im pretty sure 100% of those Austrian Catholics, in the nazi party upon being faced with the fuhrers message to kill shortly after Sunday mass where they were told not to kill had a moment where they thought 'yeah but'.

The thing is have the Austrians ever really admitted their part rather than seeing themselves as victims.
    Hell some of them really play up how much they suffered under the Soviets, but neglect to mention what they contributed to the German war machine.
    Remember how one kurt waldheim got elected president of Austria even though his Balkan war record suddenly came to light.
    The ones I mentioned are the ones that jmayo mentioned. That's why I jumped into the thread, big historical inaccuracies.

How is it a big historical inaccurracy.
    They WERE catholics, granted they may not have been practicising and some may have left by the time they did their worse.
    But the ones who never officially left were never excommunicated by the church afaik.

And before someone has go I don't think that any of the leading nazis who did the worse were actually atheists.
    boorman, mengele, speer, goering were all protestants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

hairyslug wrote: »
    It was the older boys that made them do it
    Subordinates were not made for insubordination.

Racism and anti-semitism were the basic tenets of the NSDAP and the Nazi regime. Primary education focused on racial biology. Most subjects like geography or maths etc changed focus to race. Imagine focusing on 'racial mathematics'.

Fair enough some of them left or stop practicising, but were any of them excommunicated ?
    They were at one stage catholics and were reared as such.

Actually a lot of individual priests are on the list of the righteous.

Not saying the church did not tacitly aid by not taking a stand as an organization but some individuals bravely did.

The influence of the Catholic Church on WW2 was minimal. They did play a larger role than lets say Buddhists. HQ located in Rome....not a lot of choice. As for the Church of England, you show me one Nazi catholic priest, I'll throw you a C of E vicar with Mosley connections.
    Neither your priest nor my vicar mattered in the outcome of events. Stalin was an atheist. Hitler was an atheist. Churchill expressed a wish to believe in something else but ultimately yes....a realist. Roosevelt did what all US prez's do .. show up in a church and daydream.
    This is the one war in history that you can definitely say religion was not involved.
    For fun, check out what the future John XXIII (the guy gets the gig on the condition he dies soon...whoops!!) was getting up to in Turkey at the time. Spy rings, some junior nitwit called Philby interfering - the wee genial man was on the side of the angels with the bite of a wolf. And probably the dumbest diplomat in history as German ambassador.
    If anybody is seriously interested there is a strong chance that Pope Frank is going to open the Vatican files on everything WW2 related. Everybody from drunks like me to Max Hastings is watching that closely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Mosley connections.

I went to school with his nephew.

He was brought up to be very ashamed of his family. They were quite bonkers. Actually nuts, which might give some explanation to his uncles rather odd views of the world.

jmayo wrote: »

They could have stood against them in the early 30s, but they didn't.
    In fact in 1933 they legitimised them in government.

Nobody could have foreseen in 33 what would come later.

The church hedged its political bets (as is still done by organizations today around election time) in what it thought was just another political re-shuffling.

They're not armed, their power runs parallel to national politics, so they just try to stay on the good side of whoevers in government, keep public favor and live another day, just like any corporation.

This time unfortunately the one the church (along with other big businesses) had backed in order to stay in the publics good books, later went a wee bit too far.

It never purposely conspired with the nazis to bring about the holocaust and ww2. The Catholic church wasn't therefore an ally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Joseph Goebbels

The church hedged its political bets (as is still done by organizations today around election time) in what it thought was just another political re-shuffling.

They're not armed, their power runs parallel to national politics, so they just try to stay on the good side of whoevers in government, keep public favor and live another day, just like any corporation.

This time unfortunately the one the church (along with other big businesses) had backed in order to stay in the publics good books, later went a wee bit too far.

It never purposely conspired with the nazis to bring about the holocaust and ww2. The Catholic church wasn't therefore an ally.

In fairness someone could have read Mein Kampf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

yes, but i’d say let’s just wait for adolf to post and commment on it all himself…won’t be long now that you have shown up around here…

eh, eh, how are yis.

be-be-bertie here.

eh, youse lot coulda read eh-eh-economics for dummies before yis voted my bunch of cr-cr-criminals in.

Thats actually touching on a serious issue. Most people didn't bother reading Mein Kampf. Getting past page 4 or 5 is a struggle. Just like Ulysses (and here the similarities end) it is a book many people claimed to have read but never did. Goering had no fear of books and even he didn't make it all the way through. I believe him on that - he had better stuff to lie about.
    The book was written about 1924 by some upstart who had started a riot in a beerhall. It's "importance" has only become evident due to what said upstart became. It definitely should have been compulsory reading in the British Foriegn Office after 1933.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do you know how many dictators there were in Europe ?

Stuff like Admiral Horthy. An admiral in landlocked hungry :eek:
    makes sense in historical context
    Like most in the East it was a choice between two evils.

The war might have been different had Italy stayed out like Spain and Portugal.

Pretty much the only democracies left were Scandinavia, countries where they speak French and the Netherlands,
    and oddly enough Czechoslovakia. Pity the "Allies" didn't step in then. 1/4 of the tanks and a lot of the trucks used in the invasion of France and most of the guns on the Atlantic Wall came from there. Western Betrayal indeed.

The history of Germany in WWI or the treatment of natives in the tropics would also be cause for alarm.

If it's about the 6 counties, they're welcome to them.

Hahahahahahahahahagagava #coughinglaughing

Thats actually touching on a serious issue. Most people didn't bother reading Mein Kampf. Getting past page 4 or 5 is a struggle. Just like Ulysses (and here the similarities end) it is a book many people claimed to have read but never did. Goering had no fear of books and even he didn't make it all the way through. I believe him on that - he had better stuff to lie about.
    The book was written about 1924 by some upstart who had started a riot in a beerhall. It's "importance" has only become evident due to what said upstart became. It definitely should have been compulsory reading in the British Foriegn Office after 1933.

Good book. Hitler was an (evil confused) genius. Reading it you see where and maybe even why he blamed Jewish people.

We also gloss over eugenics was actually a popular idea all over Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Hitler relied on slave labour for his war machine, and he didnt look after them properly, they worked till they dropped dead. he also ruled by fear rather than respect, I believe he would never have succeeded.

you have to have an army and civilian population that will get behind you 100% in order to win. ie win hearts and minds

Advertisement