Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re: Adolf Hitler

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I always find that weird. Ireland is pretty strategically placed between Britain and America, so surely it would have been the perfect launching pad?

Iceland would have been a more suitable goal for the Nazis.

To me it's just wishful thinking that the Soviets and the Nazis would have stayed out of each other's way for long. After all, their respective ideologies pitted themselves as mortal enemies to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

logik wrote: »
    Yes, if Germany had not invaded the USSR when they did we would most likely be under German rule. If the 3.5 million + troops and the tanks etc that were sent to the USSR had of been focused on Europe, the Allies would have been overrun.

Invading the USSR when they did, was the turning point of the war and ultimately resulted in Germany losing the war.

the whole german invasion of ireland myth and all that fabricated nonsense...a very western view of the world and basically the product of decades of brainwash and propaganda...most around here have no clue what hitler was all about; in fact i think most don’t know the basics of why and how ww2 even happened...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭SeanW

Heilarious
    I seig what you did there ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

GerB40 wrote: »
    Dominion by C.J. Sansom is another book that deals with the aftermath of Germany winning WW2. It's a fascinating look at all the "what ifs" and a very good read too. I'd highly recommend it to anyone whether you're interested in WW2 or not.

Also Fatherland by Robert Harris - a very convincing alernative history about how a victorious Reich would go about tidying up the skeletons in the closet.

BTW - the number of Jewish people in Ireland was included in the Wannsee Conference briefing notes. I'm sure that was in case Heydrich needed to consult a Rabbi were he to be strolling down the south circular of a morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Germany would not have lost the war.

they would of take a bit of a dent when the Yanks dropped an a-bomb on Berlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

kingtiger wrote: »
    they would of take a bit of a dent when the Yanks dropped an a-bomb on Berlin
    From where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

From where?

From a plane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

strobe wrote: »
    My primary knowledge of WWII is based on leaving cert history as seen through a foggy haze of drugs. So correct me if I go wrong. But wasn't the deal that when Germany rolled into Poland the Russians were supposed to roll in behind them and secure the eastern flank as they pushed towards France? But Stalin held back as he wanted to see what happened? So if Russia kept their end of the bargain the war would have rolled out without an eastern front? What's the RCC got to do with anything? Put a lot of tanks in the field did they? Big ass crosses on them?
    Courtesy of Brother Maynard, they provided the Holy hand grenade of Antioch!

(2:47 onwards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bambi wrote: »
    From a plane
    I guess it would depend on Sealion being a success. If Britain was out of the picture, then no plane would have the range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

If Hitler grew at a slower pace he could have added more strength before targeting further expansion.

No, he'd just be a man child.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    the whole german invasion of ireland myth and all that fabricated nonsense...a very western view of the world and basically the product of decades of brainwash and propaganda...most around here have no clue what hitler was all about; in fact i think most don’t know the basics of why and how ww2 even happened...

So your saying debate on the subject shouldn't be allowed unless we have the text book definition of what really took place .

You might be more relaxed if you didn't read or get involved in the thread , as you seem to be getting aggrieved at our perceived ignorance of the subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I was in Auschwitz and Birkenau about 7 weeks ago.

After looking at that, I'm pretty sure that there would be no overpopulation of Europe if Germany had won WWII.

Probably no boatloads of people from Africa drowning trying to make it to Europe either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I guess it would depend on Sealion being a success. If Britain was out of the picture, then no plane would have the range.

Jerry had a plan to drop a dirty bomb on new york from a launch in spain, no reasons the americans couldn't have managed soemthing similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I was in Auschwitz and Birkenau about 7 weeks ago.

After looking at that, I'm pretty sure that there would be no overpopulation of Europe if Germany had won WWII.

Probably no boatloads of people from Africa drowning trying to make it to Europe either.

Never could have won outright. They literally cursed their own land imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Iceland would have been a more suitable goal for the Nazis.

To me it's just wishful thinking that the Soviets and the Nazis would have stayed out of each other's way for long. After all, their respective ideologies pitted themselves as mortal enemies to the other.

Its kind of hilarious that the Germans had not made a plan to invade iceland until *after* the british invaded Iceland (weirdest invasion ever, only 1 death and it was suicide)

Kind of shows how hindsight makes us think for people rather then actually try to think what they would have done based on the info in front of them.

There are thousands of what if scenarios put forward for hitler's germany to survive or win world war 2, from simple chance like the bomber that accidentally bombed London causing a shift from bombing airbases to bombing cities (debated cause some point out if germans had not even shifted to air bases but stayed focused on radar installations they would have been even more successful)

to odd decisions in production, Germany didn't realise the prominence of single engine fighters until *after* the battle of Britain, they genuinely thought it would have been twin engined fighters like the bf 110 that would carry the airforce but when they were so easily proven to be outmatched by hurricanes and the 109 in its current state lacked the fuel reserves to provide adequate cover for the bombers they refocused the structure of the Luftwaffe. (another oddity being the spitfire and the 109 are the poster planes for the battle of Britain but it was the hurricane and bf110 that carried the brunt of that battle)

There are even levels to the decisions, such as the obvious invasion of Russia question, one can say if Germany had held off invading Russia til 1942 they would have fared much better as it would have let them secure the north africa campaign and actually invade on two fronts (which Rommel was pushing for) to the argument that case blue (the plan that led to the battle of stalingrad) if kept in its original simpler form would have also led to victory.

There is a reason why there is a whole industry on making money about these what if scenarios.

Personally I like the notion if Germany had opted to focus on their planned carrier fleet over the few (beautiful but flawed) battleships. a modern (for the time) carrier fleet in the atlantic might have been a bigger upset to the british then the u-boats. As the proposed carriers were faster then any british battleship at the time and could attack at much longer ranges. They only ever built 1 and never finished it.

As for the Catholic Church. Thats an irrelevent discussion, Hitler had his clash with the catholic church prior to the 2nd world war in social issues and he backed off, during the war any and all relations with the catholic church he would have gone through Mussolini who was on excellent terms with the catholic church cause he gave them lots of money which is the best way to get the pope to like you.

(edit: before anyone points out, excellent terms in propaganda, I know personnally Mussolini hated the catholic church, but he did the Lateran treaty with them and that put him on much better terms with the church then hitler was on.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

whupdedo wrote: »
    So your saying debate on the subject shouldn't be allowed unless we have the text book definition of what really took place .

You might be more relaxed if you didn't read or get involved in the thread , as you seem to be getting aggrieved at our perceived ignorance of the subject

sorry, for a moment i was under the impression this might be a serious debate on actual history...and yes, i will stay out of it...and of course you can have a debate on fictional stuff and myths...no worries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

another hitler thread...wow...just remember that, as napoleon once said, history is a set of lies agreed upon...

how do we know thats not a lie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I would have thought the cathoic church to be a bit irrelevant in this discussion, lacking as they were in any kind of heavy weaponry.

Which was the style at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Hoop66 wrote: »
    I would have thought the cathoic church to be a bit irrelevant in this discussion, lacking as they were in any kind of heavy weaponry.

Which was the style at the time.

Influence is also hugely important during war, which the church had in abundance..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Definitely, I think as Wurzelbert might have meant, we really do have a western oriented way of looking at this, the whole point of the war was to defeat the Soviets, the western war was mainly to knock out the Brits and French to stop them interfering I think. You can see this in the Nazi plans for after the war, where France and Britain would be allowed to exist in a neutered form while the Soviet Union was to be almost entirely annihilated, except for a part out east. Saying what if Hitler had kept away from the Soviets doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since they were a whole lot of his motivation.

A better question would be what if Britain and France had kept up the plan of appeasement and not declared war on September the 5th and given assurances they wouldnt interfere against the Soviets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Definitely, I think as Wurzelbert might have meant, we really do have a western oriented way of looking at this, the whole point of the war was to defeat the Soviets, the western war was mainly to knock out the Brits and French to stop them interfering I think. You can see this in the Nazi plans for after the war, where France and Britain would be allowed to exist in a neutered form while the Soviet Union was to be almost entirely annihilated, except for a part out east. Saying what if Hitler had kept away from the Soviets doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since they were a whole lot of his motivation.

A better question would be what if Britain and France had kept up the plan of appeasement and not declared war on September the 5th and given assurances they wouldnt interfere against the Soviets.

Would'nt that have just 'passed the puck' though. A greatly enlarged germany meaning others having to crank up the old colonialism again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

4512 wrote: »
    Could Hitler's Nazi regime have lasted longer if it had made the Catholic church and the USSR an ally indtead of an enemy?

Catholic church ???
    I don't know how more of an ally they could have been as an institution.
    Now I am not saying individual priests (a Kerryman included) were not brave and courageous, but the vatican did nothing.

Oh AFAIK the vatican never publicly condemned the nazis and their attrocities until after the war.
    What's more, the ban on membership in the Nazi party which the catholic church had imposed prior to Hitler's successful power-grab in 1933, was actually lifted that year.

Hitler, Goebbels, Himmler, Reinhard Heydrich, Muller (heydrichs right hand man), Mengele and Hoess were all catholics and the church made no attempt to distant itself from them until well after war.
    Rome failed to recognise the authority of Hitler which kinda pissed him off and most Catholics were seen as a "hindrance" to the so called progressive nature of white protestants or atheists.

WTF ...

Look above at the leadership and top sadists to see what their religious backgrounds were.

So if Catholics were a hindrance why did so many Austrians (approx 90% Catholic) make up a dispoportionate number of the Nazi party and organisations such as the SS.
    Actually might be interesting to get breakdown of the other nationalities in units like the Waffen SS to see what their religion were.
    I bet a good chunk of them were catholic.

Also remember the puppet Nazi leader of Slovakia was none other than a priest.
    Actually most of the fascist dictators and puppets of Europe before, during and after war were catholic.
    buried wrote: »
    The Vatican helped hundreds, possibly thousands of Nazi fascists escape Europe at the end of the war. Some even went through 'denazification' through baptizm for safe passage out to South America and beyond. Look up the history of Bishop Alois Hudal and Monsignor Krunoslav Draganovic. Who knows who they let out. That mass murdering bastard Adolf Eichmann escaped Europe at the end of the war for instance.

Don't forget the ones that ended up in Ireland thaks to some religious organisations and our government turning a blind eye.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

jmayo wrote: »
    Hitler, Goebbels, Himmler, Reinhard Heydrich, Muller (heydrichs right hand man), Mengele and Hoess were all catholics and the church made no attempt to distant itself from them until well after war.

WTF ...

Look above at the leadership and top sadists to see what their religious backgrounds were.

Whaaaaaat?

Himmler saw himself as a vanguard to overcome Christianity and replace it with a non-judo centric Germanic way of living. Himmler saw the Christian principle of mercy as dangerous to his plans.

Reinhard Heydrich left the Catholic church with his wife in 1936, stating it was a dangerous institution to the State.

Hoess turned against religion in his teens after a priest broke the seal of confession, he renounced his religion and joined the Nazi party, but never officially left the church.

Goebbels renounced his religion while in University, later refering to Christianity as a "Symptom of decay" due to his Jewish origins. Goebbels led the persecution of clergy and created charges of immorality or currency smuggling. All Christian presses were closed under his watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Its a pity he didnt destroy the Vatican

Why?

I have no idea what some island state in the middle of Rome has to bear on the bigger issue.
    Alt history : Hitler is left to be due to appeasement.

He grows up and leaves Uncle Joe alone. Settles for what he has, control of mainland Europe.

Wow, he is Napoleon reborn. Except he has a kleptomaniac empire built with street thugs who couldn't run a corner shop. Goering is a junkie. Himmler is way too ambitious and needs clipping. Hitler was, is and always will be the over ambitious corporal.

The Nazi monolith would have self-destructed. Germany would cease to exist. As a nation "Germany" was less than a century old and it only exists to this day as a geographic and industrial usefulness. Stalin and Churchill for different reasons both wanted it turned into farmland. Germans to be used as forced labour until the blood debt was repaid. Germany is ultimately now what Poland used to be - where East meets West. Due to the changing nature of warfare it won't be used as a ditch to fight in. Perhaps to piss in as we check if the radiation levels have dropped.

Sorry Angela, even in a dress you're still better cooked in a bun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Adolf Hitler was nominated in 1939 by Swedish lawmaker EGC Brandt for the Nobel Peace Prize...true story :eek: :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Adolf Hitler was nominated in 1939 by Swedish lawmaker EGC Brandt for the Nobel Peace Prize...true story :eek: :D;)

Hitler was Time magazines "Person of the Year" for 1938. That same year was the height of Yezhovshchina (Great Purge) where Stalin murdered over 10million people. Stalin was then awarded the same honour as Hitler a year later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Whaaaaaat?

Himmler saw himself as a vanguard to overcome Christianity and replace it with a non-judo centric Germanic way of living. Himmler saw the Christian principle of mercy as dangerous to his plans.

Reinhard Heydrich left the Catholic church with his wife in 1936, stating it was a dangerous institution to the State.

Hoess turned against religion in his teens after a priest broke the seal of confession, he renounced his religion and joined the Nazi party, but never officially left the church.

Goebbels renounced his religion while in University, later refering to Christianity as a "Symptom of decay" due to his Jewish origins. Goebbels led the persecution of clergy and created charges of immorality or currency smuggling. All Christian presses were closed under his watch.
    But there were still all the catholics mentioned in the post you quoted. It seems like, generally speaking, the nazi view on catholicism - or christianity in general - was mixed.

another hitler thread...wow...just remember that, as napoleon once said, history is a set of lies agreed upon...
    What could annoy you so much about a Hitler thread?

Not everything negative about him is lies (I've a feeling what annoys you about a Hitler thread is... criticism of auld Adolf).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Ive only been to German once. It was in 1944 it was dark and my plane didnt land.

• Advertisement

But there were still all the catholics mentioned in the post you quoted. It seems like, generally speaking, the nazi view on catholicism - or christianity in general - was mixed.

No, since they renounced it. By that logic, all those self proclaimed atheists are actually Catholics

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    the british invaded Iceland (weirdest invasion ever, only 1 death and it was suicide)
    There's this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cottage
    The Japanese, however, had secretly abandoned the island two weeks prior, and so the Allied landings were unopposed. Despite this, after over two days in thick fog and in a confused state of affairs, U.S. and Canadian forces mistook each other for the enemy. The brief firefight left 32 dead, with a further 50 wounded on either side and 130 trench foot wounds

Between Iceland and Op. Cottage we have two George Clooney vehicles ready to rock and roll. I'm on the beer so I probably will have a script by the weekend. Sooner if I score some blow.
    We'll need sex and explosions. Iceland has a volcano so that'll do. I assume women live there as well....**** i should be making notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Could Hitler's Nazi regime have lasted longer if it had made the Catholic church and the USSR an ally indtead of an enemy?

The Catholic church were firm allies of the Nazi regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Saipanne wrote: »
    :confused:
    http://www.truthcontrol.com/files/truthcontrol/images/1184.jpg
    :rolleyes:

Yes....thats why they tried to crush the church in Germany, and had many Polish priests sent to the concentration camps.....allies......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Yes....thats why they tried to crush the church in Germany, and had many Polish priests sent to the concentration camps.....allies......

Tight as a snare drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭4512

Mesrine65 wrote: »

He was nominated by a sarcastic anti-fascist although nazi propaganda turned it around. A similar incident to when kim jong il was voted the worlds sexiest man by a porn site

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes well, I just wanted to clear things up; I'm not a fascist, I'm a priest. Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas... priests...

More drink!

• Advertisement

A priest I knew drove a chicken truck around Castlemahon on behalf of his girlfriend. Didn't believe in God and did a 5 minute mass if Ireland were playing (back in the Charlton days).
    They don't all come from central casting.

Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili was nearly an orthodox priest though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life_of_Joseph_Stalin
    Shortly before the final exams, the Seminary abruptly raised school fees. Unable to pay, Ioseb quit the seminary in 1899 and missed his exams, for which he was officially expelled.

Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili was nearly an orthodox priest though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life_of_Joseph_Stalin

He got his own back on them though, blowing up the Moscow Cathedrals and sending thousands of priests to Gulags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Hitler was Time magazines "Person of the Year" for 1938. That same year was the height of Yezhovshchina (Great Purge) where Stalin murdered over 10million people. Stalin was then awarded the same honour as Hitler a year later.

Yes but Time magazine Person of the Year is not necessarily given to a person for the good that they have done. I don't know the exact wording but it is given for being influential for better or worse. In the cases of Hitler and Stalin I would think it was the latter.

WildWater wrote: »
    Yes but Time magazine Person of the Year is not necessarily given to a person for the good that they have done. I don't know the exact wording but it is given for being influential for better or worse. In the cases of Hitler and Stalin I would think it was the latter.

Exactly, Hitler nearly got Person of the Century. Bin Laden was close to the top of the poll one year as well. TIME thing of the year just means most influential person or for that matter group. At the moment ISIL are probably on their shortlist. It does not mean the editors of Time are Islamist terrorists.

No, since they renounced it. By that logic, all those self proclaimed atheists are actually Catholics
    The ones you mentioned renounced it, but did the ones mentioned by jmayo?

I'm not being anti catholic (anyone of any faith - or indeed no faith - can be, and has been, a monster) I'm just disputing that the Vatican was an enemy of the third reich.
    That doesn't mean that individual nazis didn't renounce it, like you said, or that individual catholic priests didn't resist the regime.
    Priests who resisted the regime, like anyone who resisted the regime and was caught, were sent to concentration camps for being political subversives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This is from an interview of Rabbi Dalin who wrote a book about how Pope Pius XII saved many Jews.

Woods: Faced with the fact that many Roman Jews were in fact saved by Catholics during World War II, many critics of Pius XII fall back on the argument that those Jews were saved by individual priests, bishops, religious, and laity rather than in response to a papal directive. What do you make of this claim?

Dalin: As I discuss in much detail in my book, this claim is historically false: There is much firsthand evidence testifying to Pius’s explicit instructions to save Jews, including that of Monsignor John Patrick Carroll-Abbing. Carroll-Abbing was the founder of Boys Towns of Italy and a confidant of Pius XII. He also, on explicit instructions from the pope, fed and sheltered Jews during the Nazi occupation of Rome. In his two memoirs, A Chance to Live and But for the Grace of God, published in 1952 and 1965, respectively, he provides extensive details about Pius XII’s rescue efforts on behalf of the Jews — efforts with which he was directly involved.
    In a remarkable interview given to Inside the Vatican (August/September 2001), Carroll-Abbing recounted how the pope had directly ordered him to save the Jews. He stressed that the claim of papal critics that he, and other Catholic rescuers like him, acted in spite of the pope’s silence, “is a blatant lie! I spoke to Pope Pius XII many times during the war, in person, face to face, and he told me not once but many times to assist the Jews…. I can personally testify that the pope gave me direct, face-to-face, verbal orders to rescue Jews.”
    During the Nazi occupation of Rome, three thousand Jews found refuge at one time at the pope’s summer residence at Castel Gandolfo. Amazingly, Castel Gandolfo is never mentioned or discussed in the anti-papal writings of many of the pope’s critics. Yet at no other site in Nazi-occupied Europe were as many Jews saved and sheltered for as long a period as at Castel Gandolfo during the Nazi occupation of Rome. Kosher food was provided for the Jews hidden there, where, as George Weigel has noted, Jewish children were born in the private apartments of Pius XII, which became a temporary obstetrical ward.
    Pius’s critics who do mention Castel Gandolfo argue — ludicrously — that the Jews were sheltered at the pope’s summer residence without direct papal knowledge or involvement. But the fact is that Castel Gandolfo is under the official jurisdiction of the pope and no one but he has the authority to open its doors. According to several eyewitnesses, including Monsignor Carroll-Abbing, that is precisely what Pius XII did.
    The firsthand testimony of Italian Cardinal Pietro Palazzini also refutes the fallacious claims of papal critics that those Italian Catholics who rescued Jews did not do so in response to papal directives. In 1985, Cardinal Palazzini was honored by Yad Vashem, Israel’s Holocaust Memorial, as a “righteous gentile,” who “had endangered his life” and gone “above and beyond the call of duty to save [Italian] Jews during the Holocaust.” When he was honored by Yad Vashem as a “righteous gentile,” Palazzini testified that Pius XII had personally ordered him to save and shelter Jews.

In Hungary the Church issued 80,000 baptismal certs to Jews so they could pretend they were Catholic and not Jewish.

This from a Jewish site:

It is now established that the Pope supervised a rescue network which saved 860,000 Jewish lives - more than all the international agencies put together.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/piusdef.htmlOn the first page of this thread there are some very ignorant comments towards the Catholic church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Between Iceland and Op. Cottage we have two George Clooney vehicles ready to rock and roll. I'm on the beer so I probably will have a script by the weekend. Sooner if I score some blow.
    We'll need sex and explosions. Iceland has a volcano so that'll do. I assume women live there as well....**** i should be making notes.

i have not forgiven him for monument men yet....that was sh*te

but I'll take jude law and do the iceland one with bill murry playing the american commander who takes over the occupation after the british invaded (before I might add america formally entered the war)

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    i have not forgiven him for monument men yet....that was sh*te

but I'll take jude law and do the iceland one with bill murry playing the american commander who takes over the occupation after the british invaded (before I might add america formally entered the war)

Right, so we've got Jude Law (once you hire him a nanny he's on board), I'm in touch with Bill Murray's pizza delivery guy and Bill's up for it once we provide mermaids. Bruno Ganz has expressed interest in the Hitler role so we'll have to do a Hitler does Iceland segment - I'm thinking Bill on acid here.
    Yes, we have people. George is being evasive about WW2 things but I'll convince the lawyer chick to toss the bum for a month or so. 5 star in Reykjavik will swing his vote. We are a go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

jmayo wrote: »
    Oh AFAIK the vatican never publicly condemned the nazis and their attrocities until after the war.

Start/mid-war might not have been the best time to condemn the guy with the mechanized infantry brigades and the one way train tickets.

Kind of a no sudden movements and avoid eye contact time.

So if Catholics were a hindrance why did so many Austrians (approx 90% Catholic) make up a dispoportionate number of the Nazi party and organisations such as the SS.
    Actually might be interesting to get breakdown of the other nationalities in units like the Waffen SS to see what their religion were.
    I bet a good chunk of them were catholic.

Also remember the puppet Nazi leader of Slovakia was none other than a priest.

Humans have this thing where they can know that they shouldn't strictly be doing something, but do it anyway, and then make like it doesn't count because it was in Vegas/everyone has affairs/everyone else is juicing/its only 1 line/she looks old enough etc etc - it doesn't mean the scouts have a pro-pedo philosophy, it doesn't mean local govt have an official 'lets take bribes' policy.

Im pretty sure 100% of those Austrian Catholics, in the nazi party upon being faced with the fuhrers message to kill shortly after Sunday mass where they were told not to kill had a moment where they thought 'yeah but'.

Doesn't mean all the millions of others elsewhere did though.

The ones you mentioned renounced it, but did the ones mentioned by jmayo

The ones I mentioned are the ones that jmayo mentioned. That's why I jumped into the thread, big historical inaccuracies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement