Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lowry A picture says a thousand Words

• 24-04-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Taken from the Sunday World

http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/index.php

LOWRY TRIED TO SLAP ME..

michael-lowry.jpg

Looks like he still has many questions to answer, including trespass:D

Question is why is this still allowed to be a TD and why are FG bending over backwords to support him

This raises the question of just how much is he refusing to reveal and what will the government do about it

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0424/1224315105598.html

A COMPANY owned by the controversial Independent TD Michael Lowry and which does not appear on the register of members’ interests in the Oireachtas owns land in his constituency.
    The land, slightly less than 11 acres, has a mortgage registered against it by the Irish Nationwide Building Society, which is now part of the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bit strong to say FG are bending over backwards to support him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

We still don't know how Lowry paid off the FG debt while he was in the FG party. I wonder why? Maybe, just maybe it's one of the reasons why he still has friends in FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

iam with lowry on this one. i would love the opourtunity to slap everybody involved with that rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Wider Road wrote: »
    We still don't know how Lowry paid off the FG debt while he was in the FG party. I wonder why? Maybe, just maybe it's one of the reasons why he still has friends in FG.

Lowry has no friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Can't blame a man for slapping a doorstepper from the Sunday World

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »

Lowry has no friends.

Ok so.
    Oh wait a minute, what did Lowry say about John Bruton being his best friend forever. When did this change, considering you know that Lowry has no friends?
    Wasn't it Phil Hogan's birthday party that Lowry was invited to? Can you also explain this one considering you said that Lowry has no friends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Lowry has no friends.
    Believe me,Mr Lowry has plenty of friends in the FG party in North Tipp.
    More shamefully however,I would lay any money with anyone in the country that he would probably top the poll again if an election was called in the morning.!( He probably won't run again though,his son is being groomed in the finer points of "hoodwinkery" even as we speak)

Vizzy wrote: »
    Lowry has no friends.
    Believe me,Mr Lowry has plenty of friends in the FG party in North Tipp.
    More shamefully however,I would lay any money with anyone in the country that he would probably top the poll again if an election was called in the morning.!( He probably won't run again though,his son is being groomed in the finer points of "hoodwinkery" even as we speak)

Don't forget that Lowry also has plenty of FG friends outside of Tipp North also. That's important and it must drive Noel Coonan mad (FG TD North Tipp).
    Pity though that in all of the stories about Lowry, none deals with the paying off of the FG debt that launched Lowry's rise in the FG party.

Pity though that in all of the stories about Lowry, none deals with the paying off of the FG debt that launched Lowry's rise in the FG party.

Lowry made his name with Semple Stadium and the Trip to Tipp :cool: which cleared the debt

Was some of that money siphoned to Fine Gael?

Sounds like an interesting story

mikemac1 wrote: »

Lowry made his name with Semple Stadium and the Trip to Tipp :cool: which cleared the debt

Was some of that money siphoned to Fine Gael?

Sounds like an interesting story

I don't know how Lowry paid off the FG debt. I believe this was probably the biggest factor in his rise up the ladder within the FG party. Amazingly given the findings of the Moriarty Tribunal during Lowrys awarding of the phone license to Denis O'Brien, we still don't know how the FG debt was paid off by Lowry?
    Anyone else got any suggestions on how we find out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

rodento wrote: »
    Question is why is this still allowed to be a TD...
    Because the people of North Tipp keep electing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭golfball37

Lowry worked for a crowd called Butler Refridgeration [I think]. They had a massive contract with Dunnes which kept a lot of people employed. Lowry then went behind their back and set up his own refridgeration company and took the Dunnes contract having negotiated his own terms with Ben on the QT.

This is how he originally made his money anyway. A charming individual who the people of Tipperary deserve, this latest criminal dealing will only add to his vote sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The way I see it from living here and gauging peoples opinions is that the good outweighs the bad with Lowry in North Tipp. The reality is that he's the only man who gets anything done on a consistent basis, Coonan is a total non entity and has been a major disappointment to a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

The way I see it from living here and gauging peoples opinions is that the good outweighs the bad with Lowry in North Tipp. The reality is that he's the only man who gets anything done on a consistent basis, Coonan is a total non entity and has been a major disappointment to a lot of people.

So the people of North Tipp would prefer a man that resembles a criminal, who appears to be backed by the rich and powerful, and no matter however much it is denied, is still revered in FG.

FG speak about openess, truth, transparency... what a joke, its just another of their failed promises, they have people associated with them that are just as corrupt as anyone in Fianna fail, the only difference is that they were not in power for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

So the people of North Tipp would prefer a man that resembles a criminal, who appears to be backed by the rich and powerful, and no matter however much it is denied, is still revered in FG.

FG speak about openess, truth, transparency... what a joke, its just another of their failed promises, they have people associated with them that are just as corrupt as anyone in Fianna fail, the only difference is that they were not in power for years.

I would not be much of a supporter of FG but you can't blame them if the people of North Tipp elect this "non criminal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

This kinda sums up Irish politics. Lowry is seen in Tipp as a schiester but one who gets things done "schure he fixched the rhoad". Locally it is easy to see how he is the most electable candidate going.

But then on a national level his corruption & bribe taking affects the nation. Eg when Motorola realised the 2nd mobile license process was corrupt and weighted against them they were furious. As were another 10 or so consortiums. Motorola had wasted £15m bidding on the 2nd phone license and this didn't go down well in their American boardroom. Shortly thereafter they pulled out of Ireland with the loss of over 700 jobs. God knows how many others they would have added if they had of stayed, possibly over 1,000 in 10 years would be a safe bet. Lowrys and Denis O'Briens actions had a direct result of losing Ireland jobs and effecting our international standing as a place to do business.

Lowrys actions (and those of other corrupt politicans) send a message to multinationals that Ireland is corrupt and you might get burnt there. They decide to locate elsewhere as a result.

But schure he fixched the rhoad.

RATM wrote: »

Nobody talks like that

You may it seem that Tipperary people are country bumpkins

Vizzy wrote: »
    ...you can't blame them if the people of North Tipp elect this "non criminal"
    I can and will. Anyone who turns a blind eye to Lowry's shenanigans for the sake of local gains is pissing on democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

This kinda sums up Irish politics. Lowry is seen in Tipp as a schiester but one who gets things done "schure he fixched the rhoad". Locally it is easy to see how he is the most electable candidate going.

But then on a national level his corruption & bribe taking affects the nation. Eg when Motorola realised the 2nd mobile license process was corrupt and weighted against them they were furious. As were another 10 or so consortiums. Motorola had wasted £15m bidding on the 2nd phone license and this didn't go down well in their American boardroom. Shortly thereafter they pulled out of Ireland with the loss of over 700 jobs. God knows how many others they would have added if they had of stayed, possibly over 1,000 in 10 years would be a safe bet. Lowrys and Denis O'Briens actions had a direct result of losing Ireland jobs and effecting our international standing as a place to do business.

Lowrys actions (and those of other corrupt politicans) send a message to multinationals that Ireland is corrupt and you might get burnt there. They decide to locate elsewhere as a result.

The granting if the 2nd license was 1995, Motorola shut up shop in Ireland in 2007.

• Advertisement

do you have some sort of speech impediment aswell as your pyhsic ability. how many jobs did denis o brien created. dont american multinationals pull out of ireland all the time. or does that not happen in the big smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

If it were categorically provable that Lowry had shot Michael Collins in the head then defiled his corpse, there would still be North Tipp people coming on this thread to suggest he's been maligned and throw whatabouteries around the place.
    The fact is the man is a disgrace, and should long ago have been dismissed from Leinster House, in fact likely should have faced criminal charges. Instead, those who saw their own parochial purposes fulfilled by re-electing this bad egg did exactly that, again and again, and proudly they did it, just as those who supported the Flynns in Mayo, or the Healy-Raes in Kerry, are proud to do so.
    I've often got the sense that these electorates feel that they are somehow expressing their independence of party politics, or showing 'Dublin' that they won't be dictated to, or some equally facile oul ****e peddled to them by the very gombeen seeking election from them.
    If I had a TD I was appalled by, as people ought to be appalled by Lowry, I'd be telling everyone I knew until they were sick of hearing it that to re-elect such a cowboy is wrong.

or showing 'Dublin' that they won't be dictated to, or some equally facile oul ****e peddled to them by the very gombeen seeking election from them.

Or copying Dublin and wanting a Gregory deal of their own ;)

Hold the government to ransom for Dublin Central and want things like five hundred corporation jobs for your constituents and you are a hero
    Do it outside Dublin and you are a gombeen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

The granting if the 2nd license was 1995, Motorola shut up shop in Ireland in 2007.

The consortium that was involved worked for Motorola directly and I think had connections with Hutchinson telecom. I met some of the people involved and they were beyond angry as to what went on and felt that they were cheated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

The consortium that was involved worked for Motorola directly and I think had connections with Hutchinson telecom. I met some of the people involved and they were beyond angry as to what went on and felt that they were cheated

I totally agree, if I remember AT&T was also involved. I do not disagree that these companies got screwed over and I believe are contemplating suing the Irish state. My only point was that Motorola did not pull out of Ireland over this and the Irish job loses happened to be part of a global reduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I hope Lowry gets a criminal sentence and CAB go to town on his corruption gained assets big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Or copying Dublin and wanting a Gregory deal of their own ;)

Hold the government to ransom for Dublin Central and want things like five hundred corporation jobs for your constituents and you are a hero
    Do it outside Dublin and you are a gombeen

And this is the happy horsecrap these gombeens peddle to you down the country. Are you really as thick as they think you are to buy it again and again?
    As for Tony Gregory - it will suffice to say that Michael Lowry, nor the Flynns nor Healy-Raes neither - will ever add up to one Tony Gregory, and that's not because of the Gregory deal he struck, but because of the calibre and character of the man.

If it were categorically provable that Lowry had shot Michael Collins in the head then defiled his corpse, there would still be North Tipp people coming on this thread to suggest he's been maligned and throw whatabouteries around the place.
    The fact is the man is a disgrace, and should long ago have been dismissed from Leinster House, in fact likely should have faced criminal charges. Instead, those who saw their own parochial purposes fulfilled by re-electing this bad egg did exactly that, again and again, and proudly they did it, just as those who supported the Flynns in Mayo, or the Healy-Raes in Kerry, are proud to do so.
    I've often got the sense that these electorates feel that they are somehow expressing their independence of party politics, or showing 'Dublin' that they won't be dictated to, or some equally facile oul ****e peddled to them by the very gombeen seeking election from them.
    If I had a TD I was appalled by, as people ought to be appalled by Lowry, I'd be telling everyone I knew until they were sick of hearing it that to re-elect such a cowboy is wrong.
    i would vote for the man that shot micheal collins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

i would vote for the man that shot micheal collins.
    MOD COMMENT: Please be advised that this comment clearly violated our charter and the poster had been banned by another mod. See Charter:
    Dr Galen wrote: »
    Celebration/promotion/triumphing of murder, violence or aggression will result in an immediate banning from the forum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

You cannot blame the people of North Tipp for voting Lowry in. He has influence in the Dail and can get things done. The real fault lies with the Ministers who give oxygen to Lowry.
    If he was ostracised by the Government then he would have no influence and eventually no votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

This country is rotten to the core with this sort of thing,its politicians looking after themselves and their cronies and feck the rest.

danjo wrote: »
    If he was ostracised by the Government then he would have no influence and eventually no votes.
    Eh, he was forced to resign as Minister for Communications and from FG? How much more ostracism do the people of North Tipp want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

djpbarry wrote: »
    danjo wrote: »
    Eh, he was forced to resign as Minister for Communications and from FG? How much more ostracism do the people of North Tipp want?
    That hasn't stopped FG ministers from queueing up to see him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

According to the Irish Times today, Lowry does not have to specifically declare, to the Oireachtas, interest in land he owns in Tipp. : LINK

How convenient is that for our great legislators! :(

This is of course Openess and Transparency

That hasn't stopped FG ministers from queueing up to see him
    Define "queueing up to see him".

• Advertisement

Well let me see...

Shatter accusses paper of witch hunt

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0413/1224314682110.html

Hogan-Lowry meeting - Questions raised

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0406/opinion/lowry-hogan-fallout--ministers-should-heed-warnings-189600.html

the scheduled meeting was longer than any afforded to any other TD or senator from any other party during his first year in office.

And lets not forget that this is one hell of a long meeting for someone the minister has no truck with

Yet within two days of the meeting Mr Hogan assured the Dáil that he would have "no truck for those found to have behaved as described by Mr Justice Moriarty"

Noonan met Lowry last year after adverse Moriarty

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0406/1224314441382.html

So can someone define "Something Sinks"

Well let me see...

Shatter accusses paper of witch hunt

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0413/1224314682110.html

Hogan-Lowry meeting - Questions raised

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0406/opinion/lowry-hogan-fallout--ministers-should-heed-warnings-189600.html

the scheduled meeting was longer than any afforded to any other TD or senator from any other party during his first year in office.

And lets not forget that this is one hell of a long meeting for someone the minister has no truck with
    Yet within two days of the meeting Mr Hogan assured the Dáil that he would have "no truck for those found to have behaved as described by Mr Justice Moriarty".
    Noonan met Lowry last year after adverse Moriarty

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0406/1224314441382.html

So can someone define "Something Sinks"
    So three TD's have met Lowry in his capacity as TD? Is that it? Because that falls a long way short of "queuing up to meet him".

More like three senior government ministers.

Can you list any other non government TD who has such access to the government.

And can you explain how a government minister can have ascheduled meeting which was longer than any afforded to any other TD or senator from any other party during his first year in office, even though that minister has no truck for those found to have behaved as described by Mr Justice Moriarty

More like three senior government ministers.
    That's still a small queue, although it seems more accurate to say that Lowry was queuing to meet the ministers in question, rather than the other way 'round.

Are you suggesting that no TD should meet with Lowry under any circumstances?

And should we completely ignore the findings of the moriarty tribunal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,288 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You are wasting your time lads. F.G. supporters are every bit as blind and uncaring as F.F. supporters. They just don't want to see the wrongs their party do and minimize everything.

And should we completely ignore the findings of the moriarty tribunal
    I am neither supporting nor defending Lowry or FG. What I am alluding to is that it would be completely impractical for a particular party or group of TD's to refuse to meet with any one TD or group of TD's. For starters, FG wouldn't have anything to do with FF (and vice versa) and SF would be roundly ignored.

The fact that Lowry is in the Dail and FG have to deal with him is not the fault of FG. It's the fault of the electorate in North Tipp.

But of course, since I don't live in Ireland any more, I may be forgetting that, in Ireland, everything is the government's fault and the electorate are completely infallible.

You are wasting your time lads. F.G. supporters are every bit as blind and uncaring as F.F. supporters.
    I'm not an FG supporter, although I would ask if there are any Irish political parties that boardsies don't consider supporting unacceptable? I know all the cool kids are anti- whoever happens to be in power at present, but it's not very practical, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Are you suggesting that no TD should meet with Lowry under any circumstances?

No, but I also don't expect FG's chief whip to go on RTE's drivetime, at the height of the Lowry media storm, refusing to answer whether or not he accepts the Moriarty Tribunal findings and then dismissing those findings as opinion.

I'm not an FG supporter, although I would ask if there are any Irish political parties that boardsies don't consider supporting unacceptable? I know all the cool kids are anti- whoever happens to be in power at present, but it's not very practical, is it?

Its not about being pro or anti any party. Its about failing or refusing to see the wrongs associated with the party. Irish people are only too willing to turn a blind eye to their politicians and that is a big part of the reason we are where we are. Corrupt politicians should be ostracized by everyone especially other politicians.

Corrupt politicians should be ostracized by everyone especially other politicians.
    But how is that going to work in practice? Who decides what defines corruption? Individual parties? Could FG simply decide that they were not going to entertain representations from a particular TD or group of TD's, leaving those TDs' constituents without a voice in the Dail?

As I said above, I'm not defending Lowry at all, nor am I defending those who vote for him. But the fact remains that he has been democratically elected and he has to be treated as such.

Do you not think some people should be debarred from politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

just to point out that the jounalist in question has being harressing him in the worst way going. sitting for hrs outside his house, following him around to whereever he goes when he leaves the house ringing him in etc. no regardless of who it is I have heard reports of what that journalist is doing. now pissing someone off like that and following them when they drive of the way it was done is a serious road safety issue there arent the straightest of roads around his lowrys house

Do you not think some people should be debarred from politics
    Ignoring for a moment the certain criteria must be met before a TD can take their seat in the Dail (a tax clearance cert must be provided, for example), more generally, who would decide who should be barred and what criteria would be need to be met? Take Lowry for instance - on what grounds would he be barred from the Dail, bearing in mind that he has not (as far as I am aware) been convicted of any crime (yet)?

Ignoring for a moment the certain criteria must be met before a TD can take their seat in the Dail (a tax clearance cert must be provided, for example), more generally, who would decide who should be barred and what criteria would be need to be met? Take Lowry for instance - on what grounds would he be barred from the Dail, bearing in mind that he has not (as far as I am aware) been convicted of any crime (yet)?

No Bankers convicted either but would you let them handle your money ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement