Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Got 2 bottles of the OFAF at the weekend.

I think its a very good beer but didn't find it as tropical fruity as the draught version.

Heroditas wrote: »

(When's Seaneh's ban over?)

He is back in March I think he got a 3 month ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Was out shopping yesterday and I popped into Carry Out in Lucan to see if they have anything different. Picked up a bottle of CREW Republic Roundhouse Kick Imperial Stout and a bottle of Porterhouse Brainblasta.

Was really surprised with the Crew one. Really nice Imperial Stout, on the roastier side flavour wise, but still really drinkable. Wasn't a fan of the other 2 beers I'd tried from them.

Got the Blainblasta just out of curiosity. I remember trying it years ago when I was getting into my fancy beers and just couldn't drink it. Thought it was just too strong. Thought it was nice enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Carry Out in Lucan? Don't you mean Kennys/Corkscrew?

Carry Out in Lucan? Don't you mean Kennys/Corkscrew?

Actually come to think of it, it may not be a Carry Out. It's the one beside Superquinn.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Actually come to think of it, it may not be a Carry Out. It's the one beside Superquinn.

Ah yeah, O'Briens.

Ah yeah, O'Briens.

Yeah, that's what I meant. ;)

Ooooh! More can options

Brooklyn Lager

5707643200020.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

BaBa Black Lager by Uinta who are based out of Utah. This was lovely but seemed like a "light" porter to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Finally trying a Paulaner Salvator.

Maybe it's a bit cold or something, but it's quite meh so far. I find the high-alcohol German beers quite cloying in comparison with Belgians (Schneider Aventinus, as another example).

Augustiner Edelstoff, on the other hand.........
    Does exactly what it says on the tin!

Did anyone, by any chance, read the article on the McGargles enterprise in the Sunday Times? I took a photo of it and will try and post it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Did anyone, by any chance, read the article on the McGargles enterprise in the Sunday Times? I took a photo of it and will try and post it later.

also a piece in the Liffey Champion - new brewery opening very soon in Kilcock Co Kildare on the site of the old Kelly's Bakery.

€1 million investment and 30 jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

blueshed wrote: »
    also a piece in the Liffey Champion - new brewery opening very soon in Kilcock Co Kildare on the site of the old Kelly's Bakery.

€1 million investment and 30 jobs.

Is that the one setup by ex Heineken (maybe Guinness) guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne Cul Dorcha, a cracking beer from the weirdest and most unfriendly brewpub I ever visited

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

matrim wrote: »
    Is that the one setup by ex Heineken (maybe Guinness) guys?

Former Diageo and Molson Coors employees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

drumswan wrote: »
    Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne Cul Dorcha, a cracking beer from the weirdest and most unfriendly brewpub I ever visited

Do you mean the one in Dingle? I always wanted to visit it when I was down that direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Victory Dirtwolf double IPA. It replaces Hop Wallop, which I will definitely miss, but Dirtwolf has a crisper (almost harsh) texture that I like. Tastes like it is dry-hopped, even though I don't think it is. Would not have had two (pints, not tulips) at lunchtime if I had known it was 8.7%.

Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye. I'll need to try it again but it came across like a spicy version of Celebration.

Ipso wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye. I'll need to try it again but it came across like a spicy version of Celebration.

That's kinda what it is.

Had it again, wasn't overly crazy about it. There is a bitter taste that Celebration also has that I'm not keen on, although I like the Rye taste.
    It was a toss up over Ruthless Rye or Old Chico Crystal Wheat, I saw some not too stellar reviews for Old Chico so I took the Ruthless Rye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If you like the Rye, give Kinnegar's Rustbucket a go.

Lovely Irish Rye beer.

JW Sweetman rated fourth best new brewer in the world on ratebeer

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/newbrewers_012014cc.asp

I remember a certain poster referring to their beer as 'tasting like bad homebrew' - harhar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Finally picked up a Gose, Rittergut's Gose to be exact.

This is one damn good beer. Deliciously crisp and sour. Will be drinking more of it.

drumswan wrote: »
    JW Sweetman rated fourth best new brewer in the world on ratebeer

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/newbrewers_012014cc.asp

I remember a certain poster referring to their beer as 'tasting like bad homebrew' - harhar

Good to see. Who knows, some tome in the future when a US president visits instead of getting a photo of the divils buttermilk it may be JW Sweetman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I see L.Mulligans has Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier on tap.

Not my cup of tea but I know there is a few in here who like it.

Love it, but 2 bottles at the most, usually one.

Bottle of Brewdog's Russian Imperial Stout tonight. Not sure what to make of it yet.
    It's been a while since I've had an imperial stout so the taste buds are getting used to it!

EDIT: just finished it and can honestly say there's far better Imperial stouts out there.

Finally picked up a Gose, Rittergut's Gose to be exact.

This is one damn good beer. Deliciously crisp and sour. Will be drinking more of it.

Whered you get that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

irish_goat wrote: »
    Former Diageo and Molson Coors employees.

Would this be the McGargles lads or another operation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Landlord Strong Pale Ale - 4.1% is hardly strong. Not overly floral but quite bitter. Fairly unremarkable, as I thought last time.

I am in Belgium at the moment but in the south away from any major city.
    Anyway Ramée Blonde is what I had last night on draught.

Its a good middle of the road beer for me.
    Another Irish lad was with me and he tasted it and said it smelled veru sweet and very hoppy. He went back to drinking Carlsberg.

Its sweet enough and a nice Belgian hop hit.Not the best Belgian beer but hits the spot for me.

• Advertisement

I think I'll be in The Beerhouse on Capel St tomorrow, anyone idea what they have on draught in there?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I was in on Tuesday night. Off the top of my head there was Leann Folláin, O'Hara's IPA, Brú Lager, Bo Bristle IPA, Black Pitts Porter, C No Evil and Aztec Stout. Probably a few more too: there always seems to be a couple of Franciscan Well beers and one by BrewDog, but I didn't notice which.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Landlord Strong Pale Ale - 4.1% is hardly strong. Not overly floral but quite bitter. Fairly unremarkable, as I thought last time.

Heresy! :D

To be fair, many traditional UK bitters were around the 3% mark so, in theory, it would qualify as a strong English pale ale.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I was in on Tuesday night. Off the top of my head there was Leann Folláin, O'Hara's IPA, Brú Lager, Bo Bristle IPA, Black Pitts Porter, C No Evil and Aztec Stout. Probably a few more too: there always seems to be a couple of Franciscan Well beers and one by BrewDog, but I didn't notice which.

Cool, sounds like a decent selection.

I think they have some kind of tie-in with MC, do they? Like that pub in Smithfield beside the cinema, they sell no Guinness on tap, and have the FW stuff on draught.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Fair comment on the bottled version, I think. It's very different from draught Landlord (rocket fuel at 4.3% ABV), which is a magnificent beer when on form.
    I think they have some kind of tie-in with MC, do they?
    Nah, I think they just rolled over for the rep more than most pubs, but I doubt it's anything more than lots point-of-sale material and several of their beers.

To be fair, many traditional UK bitters were around the 3% mark so, in theory, it would qualify as a strong English pale ale.

I'd consider 4.1% to be in the 'ordinary' bitter territory really. I'd like to try the draught version as BeerNut suggests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

BeerNut wrote: »

Thats quite a few more taps than they used too. Was just the craft collection, 1 BRU and oharas ipa/lager last time i was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

adamski8 wrote: »
    Thats quite a few more taps than they used too. Was just the craft collection, 1 BRU and oharas ipa/lager last time i was there.

Decent value aswell on some beers. For instance, Sunburnt Irish Red by Eight Degrees is 4 euro a pint, and half's are half the price, like they should be! I think they have a good few pints in the 5 or under price bracket.

Currently having a quite pleasant pint of Estaminet in Peggy Kellys before I head to the dogs.
    Not a bad Pilsner considering I don't normally go for that style.

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    Decent value aswell on some beers. For instance, Sunburnt Irish Red by Eight Degrees is 4 euro a pint, and half's are half the price, like they should be! I think they have a good few pints in the 5 or under price bracket.

Do want.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Between cancelled plans, mad weather, and awful tiredness, I've enough reasons for a quiet night in. Think I'll have my bottle of Of Foam And Fury while it's fresh and at least make the night some bit interesting.

Blacks Black IPA. Really nice beer. Nice and hoppy. Reminds me a lot of O'Haras IPA but with the added richness of dark malts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Having a Hardknott Infrared. Described as a IPA but quite dark in colour. Quite hoppy but liking it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Also picked up an Odells 90 Shilling ale. Enjoying this one a lot more than the Hardknott ale. Very smooth and refreshing with a hint of caramel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

An File wrote: »
    Think I'll have my bottle of Of Foam And Fury while it's fresh...

Well damn it anyway! This stuff actually lives up to the hype. Beautiful beer.

Edit:

May as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb. Brewdog Hardcore IPA to put me to sleep. It's been a long week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a Founders Backwoods Bastard at the moment. Very nice, strong but not overpowering and lots of caramel with a hint of vanilla

Also picked up an Odells 90 Shilling ale. Enjoying this one a lot more than the Hardknott ale. Very smooth and refreshing with a hint of caramel.

That's an awesome beer.

It's a style called Scotch Ale, another example of the style is William Bros 80 Shilling.

It's a more robust, malty beer, but the similarities are there.

Odell's do great beers, I've not had a bad one.

Lagunita's Hop Stoopid Ale. At 102 ibu's I was expecting a lip curler but it was very well "balanced". Had a sweetish taste and retained a small almost creamy head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Went to Galvin's Carry Out in Clondalkin earlier. Pretty good selection. Parking not great, and, of the beers I bought, they only had O'Haras listed in the system when it scanned, so I was charged some pretty strange prices...overall, I think it was about right, but think it should have been a euro or two less.

Picked up the following:
    • Bo Bristle IPA
    • Blacks Kinsale IPA
    • 8 Degrees Zeus Black IPA
    • Five Lamps Liberties Ale
    • And a few O'Haras IPA just in case

Earlier this week I found McGargles Pale Ale and Pilsner in my local Dunnes Stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Jfla

Ipso wrote: »
    Lagunita's Hop Stoopid Ale. At 102 ibu's I was expecting a lip curler but it was very well "balanced". Hadva sweetish tastecand retained a small almost creamy head.

Did you get your hands on that in Ireland?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement