Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

To be honest, Spoons can be all things to all men. Cheap brekkies and coffee. Cheap lunch. Somewhere to go for a cheap pint of two in the evening before heading on somewhere else. A place to drink beer that isn't available elsewhere.

It doesn't do any one of these things brilliantly, but it does all of them well enough to get different types of customer in during the day. They'll do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Lucena wrote: »
    It doesn't do any one of these things brilliantly, but it does all of them well enough to get different types of customer in during the day. They'll do well.

They will do fantastically well.

I just don't seem them doing fantastically well in that specific spot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

limnam wrote: »
    A publicans wet dream.
    But there are no publicans involved in Wetherspoon, just like there are no restaurateurs involved in McDonalds or café owners involved in Starbucks. What they offer isn't somebody's decision; it's decided centrally by accountants and marketing people who understand the numbers on a very big yet precise level. It's why you can put one pretty much anywhere.
    How diverse is the customer base in blackrock?
    I was in on a weekday afternoon back in January and there was a young business type grabbing a quick lunch while jabbing at his laptop, two ladies from different offices catching up over coffee, a bunch of oul lads enjoying cheap pints and, obviously, a beer nerd noticing all of this. Pretty diverse, I thought. No families, but they're always there on weekend afternoons.

Bear in mind Wetherspoon is the fifth-largest seller of breakfasts in the UK and aiming to treble those sales by the end of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Surely there's another few benefits to Wetherspoons opening anywhere too. They can bring extra footfall to a particular area and they make the bars close by have a long hard look at their business model.

They one opening on Tullow street in Carlow could be a godsend to an area that has lost its place as the main shopping area and perhaps revitalise it as the food and drink area. It already has a couple of decent bars and restaurants.

I for one look forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BeerNut wrote: »
    No families, but they're always there on weekend afternoons.
    Yep, I was in with my son, wife and sister in law one Saturday afternoon for lunch and a couple of beers.
    lk67 wrote: »
    Surely there's another few benefits to Wetherspoons opening anywhere too. They can bring extra footfall to a particular area and they make the bars close by have a long hard look at their business model

This is the second reason why I like them so much - first is the new beer choices they have, but the way they are making "traditional" pubs nervous is a definite boon. It's hilarious that instead of changing their practices they are going down the protectionism route, fighting a losing battle to "keep Spoons out".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Second thoughts, yes cheap booze cheap food. Tallaght is perfect.

There's about 15 pubs in Tallaght, Spoons could open multiple premises & do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Plenty of scope for a spoons in Tallaght despite this nonsense about target markets, which I presume is a snobbish euphemism for saying it's too rough out there.

The site of the now closed Abberley Court, for example, has got loads of varied footfall in about a mile or two radius that could benefit a Spoons: settled suburban estates, a college, hospital, various hotels, offices, a shopping centre etc.

anncoates wrote: »
    Plenty of scope for a spoons in Tallaght despite this nonsense about target markets, which I presume is a snobbish euphemism for saying it's too rough out there.

The site of the now closed Abberley Court, for example, has got loads of varied footfall in about a mile or two radius that could benefit a Spoons: settled suburban estates, a college, hospital, various hotels, offices, a shopping centre etc.

You presume wrong.
    The cuckoos nest spot is not the abberly court, which would be an excellent area for a spoons.

Try reading threads more closely.
    The problem is not Tallaght, it's the location of the cuckoos nest in tallaght.

The problem is not Tallaght, it's the location of the cuckoos nest in tallaght.

Abberly is obviously a prime spot for most pubs but the Cuckoo's actually wasn't a particularly rough spot. Nor is the Penny Black just up the road.

I'm not sure, as said, JDW pubs have a typical area as such, certainly not in the UK.

anncoates wrote: »
    Abberly is obviously a prime spot for most pubs but the Cuckoo's actually wasn't a particularly rough spot. Nor is the Penny Black just up the road.

I'm not sure, as said, JDW pubs have a typical area as such, certainly not in the UK.

No one suggested it was rough, it's just not great location wise it's in an awkward sort of location. It's fairly limited business wise, student wise. limited public transport access. compared to say the abberly you have a ton of bus routes the luas, the college a huge amount of local business and offices blocks etc.

The main point was as far as locations go in Tallaght, IMVHO the nest would be one of the worst choices for spoons compared to other options.

• Advertisement

No one suggested it was rough, it's just not great location wise it's in an awkward sort of location. It's fairly limited business wise, student wise. limited public transport access. compared to say the abberly you have a ton of bus routes the luas, the college a huge amount of local business and offices blocks etc.

Cuckoos was usually quite busy whenever I was there. Was a strange one it went under but you wouldn't know if it was something like a remortgage or other business debts pulling it down.

There's a very decent residential catchment there to be fair, between Tymon, Tallaght Village, Walkinstown and Kilnamanagh.

Obviously not on the level of the Abberley though which I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

The main point was as far as locations go in Tallaght, IMVHO the nest would be one of the worst choices for spoons compared to other options.

There are lots of locations in Tallaght that would do well. The Nest wouldn't do as well as the abberley site obviously, but I'd say it would do as well if not better than say the belgard, or the old mills locations.

Don't forget that the nest has been there surviving for a very long time, went through some bad years due to the recession and their inability to decrease prices enough.

Spoons would fill the place with their prices. Even if it wasn't the only spoons in Tallaght.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

The prices wetherspoons charge seem too good to be true.

I wonder are the low prices just to build up market share here, so that once they have established themselves in Ireland their prices will be more inline with what other pubs here charge ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Simon2015 wrote: »

I wonder are the low prices just to build up market share here, so that once they have established themselves in Ireland their prices will be more inline with what other pubs here chagre ?
    Why would they change the model that's worked for so long for them in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I wonder are the low prices just to build up market share here, so that once they have established themselves in Ireland their prices will be more inline with what other pubs here chagre ?

Its not the model they run in the uk, and if they did the would be inst situation a lot of Irish pubs would be in. Lager premises and dropped foot fall and takings .

But they are not just after pub business, the are a very lager sellers of coffee, possibly the largest in the UK. They will pull business for cafe's and other food outlets the public deem to be overpriced or bad value.

My local Odeon cinema charges 12.50 mid week for a ticket. You could get a meal and two selected pints for that at the spoons that opening at the ending of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You are thinking of them as a traditional pub they aren't. They make their money from the food. They are largest seller of breakfasts in the UK and have huge sales of coffee also. The alcohol is the cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A while back Eddie rockets were selling heineken for €2.50 a pint, similarly making the money on food more than the drink.

Diceys in the Russel court hotel has had €2 pints on certain days for years now, even paulaner is €2 not just some cheaper stuff like tuborg. They sell food on those days, but it is also very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In NI, their prices are permanently lower than other pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ryanair's fares are permanently lower than other airlines.

They have thrived with this model, and earn large profits.

Low cost wins.

JD WS now have approaching 1,000 pubs - a massive success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bobby Kerrs 'opinion' on it.

http://www.newstalk.com/Bobby-Kerr-on-disruption-and-Wetherspoons

As reviews go, he's never going to trouble a food blogger. His conclusion is that they're just not for him, no rhyme or reason as to why. Has he investments in Irish pubs ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Geuze wrote: »
    Ryanair's fares are permanently lower than other airlines.

They're really, really not.

Pick ten sets of comparable routings and its likely the competitors will be cheaper on anywhere between 20-100% of them.

Someone in work got stung for a hundred quid (25%+ of the return total price) and a set of crap flight times going to Nice assuming Ryanair were "always cheaper"

In the piece he states "My 24- and 21-year-old daughters are part of what is known as the 'Lost Generation'. They do not go to pubs. They drink at home or in other people’s houses and then go to nightclubs in town."

As I haven't lived in Ireland in a long time, can anyone tell me if this is actually true?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In the piece he states "My 24- and 21-year-old daughters are part of what is known as the 'Lost Generation'. They do not go to pubs. They drink at home or in other people’s houses and then go to nightclubs in town."

As I haven't lived in Ireland in a long time, can anyone tell me if this is actually true?

Ish. He's the one who's named them, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm a long time out of that age bracket but from speaking to people in work or friends cousins, nieces/nephews, etc. it would seem that there is a bit of truth in it. High cost of drinks in bars would be a big factor in it from what I've heard anecdotally.

The difference in prices between pubs and drinking at home are certainly more marked nowadays in Ireland.

Over 20 years ago, a 50cl can of beer was around a pound, whereas a pint was two pounds. So a 1:2 ratio. That ratio is probably nearer to 1:3.5 today, from what I’ve seen when I go home. I could definitely see why the young’uns would do more "prinking".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

The difference in prices between pubs and drinking at home are certainly more marked nowadays in Ireland.

Over 20 years ago, a 50cl can of beer was around a pound, whereas a pint was two pounds. So a 1:2 ratio. That ratio is probably nearer to 1:3.5 today, from what I’ve seen when I go home. I could definitely see why the young’uns would do more "prinking".

Its more like 1:5 in my area, and a hell of a lot more if you drink spirits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As I mentioned in the other thread, after being charged €7.70 for a 500ml bottle of O'Haras on Saturday, I can certainly see their reasoning behind it.

Avada wrote: »
    Its more like 1:5 in my area, and a hell of a lot more if you drink spirits.

10.00 for a whiskey that costs 40 a bottle is a common enough one these days.

It's probably worse if you're on spirits + mixers somewhere that only does glass bottles of mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Bobby Kerrs 'opinion' on it.

http://www.newstalk.com/Bobby-Kerr-on-disruption-and-Wetherspoons

As reviews go, he's never going to trouble a food blogger. His conclusion is that they're just not for him, no rhyme or reason as to why. Has he investments in Irish pubs ?

This is a key line:
    I hope and pray that this is not the pub of the future - but it may be the final reminder that Irish publicans need to wake up and smell the coffee, which incidentally 'spoons sell for €1.

Seeing that Bobby is the chair of Insomnia, he might very well see Wetherspoons as a threat to his coffee shop business and others like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Heroditas wrote: »
    Seeing that Bobby is the chair of Insomnia, he might very well see Wetherspoons as a threat to his coffee shop business and others like it.

I laughed a little when i saw Bobby quote. Spoons are one of the biggest if not the biggest sell of coffee in the uk

Advertisement