Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

irish_goat wrote: »
    That's good a spot alright, handy for heading between Busaras and the main part of the city centre. It's always been a bit lifeless down there too so hopefully it'll improve that.
    RasTa wrote: »
    Wonder if Brewdock will suffer

Ha! I'll be more inclined to go to BD for a couple before heading further into town now, knowing I can stop into Spoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Ha! I'll be more inclined to go to BD for a couple before heading further into town now, knowing I can stop into Spoons.

Brew dock, spoons, fat monk, black sheep, beer house, mulligans.

Nice little northside crawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Brew dock, spoons, fat monk, black sheep, beer house, mulligans.

Where's the Fat Monk?

Porterhouse, WJK, Brew dock, spoons, fat monk, black sheep, beer house, mulligans.

FYP

FYP

I don't cross the canal, buddy. Wjk I'd forgotten about though.

• Advertisement

Where's the Fat Monk?

Lower abbey Street near the food Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Lower abbey Street near the food Hall.

Thanks, must check it out. Never heard of it and can't seem to find anything online about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Thanks, must check it out. Never heard of it and can't seem to find anything online about it.

Is it not The Jolly Monk?

He might be fat too mind...

lk67 wrote: »
    Is it not The Jolly Monk?

He might be fat too mind...

That's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Geuze wrote: »
    So to summarise:

2014 = 2 open (Blackrock, SCD, and Dun-Laoighaire)
    2015 = 3 to open (Blanch, Swords, Cork city)

plus confirmed site purchases:

Waterford
    Douglas in Cork suburbs (added)
    Camden St in Dublin
    Carlow (confirmed this week)
    Abbey street, Dublin.

Still no news on the Dublin Camden St one? The building is still untouched, no sign of any refurb taking place any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

donaghs wrote: »
    Still no news on the Dublin Camden St one?
    Won't be for a while, I'd say. I can see the planning process being a lengthy one here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »
    Won't be for a while, I'd say. I can see the planning process being a lengthy one here.

As it was a hotel in the mists of time (before it became a hostel), I suspect it shouldn't be too hard - obviously any drink licences etc are gone and would need a new one brought in but change of use back to a hotel should either be simple or not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I wonder if Wetherspoons would be interested in The Cuckoos Nest in Tallaght? It's certainly big enough.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/05/20/old-friends-are-best/

Probably just wishful thinking on my part. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

ceekay74 wrote: »
    I wonder if Wetherspoons would be interested in The Cuckoos Nest in Tallaght? It's certainly big enough.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Oh god NOOOOO - this was one of the best pubs in Dublin (I'm 40 miles wawy, so haven;t been in it for years)

A REAL family run pub that cared about customers and the community - so sad to see it close and it must be very difficult times for the Lynch family that ran it.

Hopefully someone will buy it and keep it going as a decent local family pub and not some bland boring place like wetherspoons operate it.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Hopefully someone will buy it and keep it going as a decent local family pub
    Which is obviously not a good idea, given the current owners need to cease trading
    and not some bland boring place like wetherspoons operate it.

Which is a great model given Spoons are one of the few Publicans actually expanding in this country.

What, exactly, is boring about the Tree Tun Tavern?

They don't sell the usual boring array of Diageo & Heineken slop.
    They don't have boring Sky Sport News blasting out the same stories five times an hour.

They do sell an innovative, non-boring, range of Irish and International beers.
    They do have specials to entice customers to enter the premises.

how boring indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I've never understood the need to have Sky Sport News on in pubs. The pub is somewhere I go to get away from things, not to have the same non-story about some dude in Australia getting attacked by a shark shoved into my face every ten minutes. Sport I could understand, by Sky bloody news?

* Shakes fist in direction of The Old Oak in Brussels *

Ah yes, the "traditional" "Irish" pub, showing traditional Irish Sky News. :rolleyes:

Oh god NOOOOO - this was one of the best pubs in Dublin (I'm 40 miles wawy, so haven;t been in it for years)

A REAL family run pub that cared about customers and the community - so sad to see it close and it must be very difficult times for the Lynch family that ran it.

Hopefully someone will buy it and keep it going as a decent local family pub and not some bland boring place like wetherspoons operate it.

It's my local, and it's been getting emptier and shabbier over the last few years. But no problem to them continuing to charge inflated prices to their customers.

If 'The Spoonys'© or whoever move in and slash prices, it'll take off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,685 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's my local, and it's been getting emptier and shabbier over the last few years. But no problem to them continuing to charge inflated prices to their customers.

If 'The Spoonys'© or whoever move in and slash prices, it'll take off again.

tbh it was getting busier in the last 6 months I have not seen it as full in years. I was in it twice in the last 2 months to meet a friend and the place was packed.

I think they had just got back on track

listermint wrote: »
    tbh it was getting busier in the last 6 months I have not seen it as full in years.

True. I've been there twice in the last month to watch mid-week football and was surprised to see it was quite busy compared to the last few years.
    listermint wrote: »
    I think they had just got back on track

It was starting to look that way. Hopefully it gets bought and reopens soon (with more affordable prices).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Seriously ? You must not have visited many because it was an awful kip, it had nothing going for it whatsoever unless it was your local. Wall to wall TVs blaring Sky Sports as said above, the place was a horror.

If it was so good it should have managed to stay operating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If it was so good it should have managed to stay operating.

Many very good businesses have closed due to outside issues.

I always find it amazing how "expert" some people become when they have zero knowledge of the issues.

At the end of the day, the people who ran the pub were very well regarded n the community and supported the community for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Which is obviously not a good idea, given the current owners need to cease trading

Which is a great model given Spoons are one of the few Publicans actually expanding in this country.

What, exactly, is boring about the Tree Tun Tavern?

They don't sell the usual boring array of Diageo & Heineken slop.
    They don't have boring Sky Sport News blasting out the same stories five times an hour.

They do sell an innovative, non-boring, range of Irish and International beers.
    They do have specials to entice customers to enter the premises.

how boring indeed.

Spoons in Blackrock don't have wall to wall Sky in TV screens but they don't have anything. There's very little fun to be had sitting at a restaurant table in a brightly lit place, no music etc. I didn't even see a sign for as much as a table quiz!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ageyev wrote: »
    Spoons in Blackrock don't have wall to wall Sky in TV screens but they don't have anything. There's very little fun to be had sitting at a restaurant table in a brightly lit place, no music etc. I didn't even see a sign for as much as a table quiz!
    I guess folks define fun in different ways, but....

16419_911695248869756_3471545865951417886_n.jpg?oh=31c0eb5a268e216ba8177859ce27d54b&oe=55EF8925&__gda__=1438633090_63c6039b9eab2ce2e4f07b8abd36c261

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Spoons is great for the selection and price - I got two measures of a Scottish whisky for the price of a Guinness elsewhere! But the whole layout of the place just ain't much fun. I spent most of the time outside in the smoking area but it rained and got cold so had to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Not sure Tallaght and surrounding areas have enough of the target market spoons chase to sustain one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

limnam wrote: »
    Not sure Tallaght and surrounding areas have enough of the target market spoons chase to sustain one.
    I don't think Wetherspoon has a target market as such: they're aiming for everyone.

Many very good businesses have closed due to outside issues.

I always find it amazing how "expert" some people become when they have zero knowledge of the issues.

At the end of the day, the people who ran the pub were very well regarded n the community and supported the community for many years.

I know it was a bad pub, that's enough for me.

limnam wrote: »

And what target market is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't think Wetherspoon has a target market as such: they're aiming for everyone.

A pub that caters for everyone. I've yet to enter such a beast.

A publicans wet dream.

This doesn't really work in practice because what brings in one alienates the other normally. How diverse is the customer base in blackrock?

You have to aim your pub at something. This is Tallaght suburbia in a place caught between tyom north kilimanah, greenhills and walkstown.

Second thoughts, yes cheap booze cheap food. Tallaght is perfect.

Advertisement