Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT and Road Tax Evasion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The attitude to tax evasion in this thread is deplorable, and ignorant. Probably the same people bitching and whining about people on the dole too. Do ye really not get that this money will ultimately need to be made up somehow, probably out of YOUR pockets in more makey-uppey "levies"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

dahamsta wrote: »
    The attitude to tax evasion in this thread is deplorable, and ignorant. Probably the same people bitching and whining about people on the dole too. Do ye really not get that this money will ultimately need to be made up somehow, probably out of YOUR pockets in more makey-uppey "levies"?
    And yours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Do you police your neighbours car tax and NCT disks?

I didnt drive my car for 6 months last year. How much did that cost you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

RainyDay wrote: »
    Are you certain that Irish Customs accept your current position as legal? I understood that you couldn't drive a UK-reg car if you were living here in ROI.

As I understand it, there are no legal excemptions for any of the scenarios you've outlined.

OP - Illegitimi non carborundum! Who did you contact in Revenue and how? I managed to get a response to a complaint about UK-reg cars at a Dublin address from dubinvestig@revenue.ie. The cars disappeared from that particular front garden a few weeks after my complaint, so I assume that Revenue took some action.

there could be a legal exemption
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/07/17/fire-your-solicitor-call-from-donegal-man-who-won-vrt-case/

I have nothing to hide,

Except yourself from the people you report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Nobody is pro tax evasion. Jumping to conclusions and trying to police something you may not have an absolute fiddlers clue about is what the problem some of us have. People would assume I am in the same situation as the guy in question. Tax dodging, UK reg scumbag. Well in reality I probably pay more to the exchequer than most of them. We the taxpayer pay a lot of money to customs and revenue to hire people to do this professionally so let them do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

gutteruu wrote: »
    Nobody is pro tax evasion. Jumping to conclusions and trying to police something you may not have an absolute fiddlers clue about is what the problem some of us have. People would assume I am in the same situation as the guy in question. Tax dodging, UK reg scumbag. Well in reality I probably pay more to the exchequer than most of them. We the taxpayer pay a lot of money to customs and revenue to hire people to do this professionally so let them do it.

The "professionals" depend on law abiding people giving them information to assist them. Neighborhood watch,confidential hotlines,community liaison officers etc. If I see someone climbing over your back garden wall at 3 o clock in the morning with your valuables,would you like me to

A) Ring the police

or

B)Mind my own business,not jump to conclusions and leave it to the professionals

repsol wrote: »
    The "professionals" depend on law abiding people giving them information to assist them. Neighborhood watch,confidential hotlines,community liaison officers etc. If I see someone climbing over your back garden wall at 3 o clock in the morning with your valuables,would you like me to

A) Ring the police

or

B)Mind my own business,not jump to conclusions and leave it to the professionals

Would you check next door neighbours cars for tax and nct, and report them it they are not up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Bruthal wrote: »
    Would you check next door neighbours cars for tax and nct, and report them it they are not up to date?

No.I don't have time to bother with that stuff but people are entitled to report law breaking.I have reported someone from my area for racing up and down the road at ridiculous speed.I told the guy I did it though and warned him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭unir1916

Jesus you must be whiter than snow OP what in gods name has it got to do with u?
    do you think your car tax will be decreased if this vile criminal is caught? As said earlier always a good idea to use your real name on forums but you haven't posted your contact number yet!!!!

• Advertisement

repsol wrote: »
    No.I don't have time to bother with that stuff
    Would you report next door if you noticed their car is untaxed?

What about a brother, sister, would you report them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

Thank you. At last someone gets what I mean.

Ah, He is a foreigner, and you are a racist.

I understand now.

Race card !!! I see it being pulled more and more usually with people that have nothing constructive to say.

Except yourself from the people you report.
    I never reported anybody you obviously never read my posts properly.

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Yes. It is not your business anymore. You suspect a crime is being committed and you have reported it. Now let the Gardai and customs deal with it.
    Does no harm for my friend to remind them from time to time. Fair play to him.

Bluefang wrote: »
    Mind Your Own Business Noel.

Most ordinary people in this country despise informers, touts etc what ever you may wish to call them.

Holyier than thou types are not well thought of either.

If you see the bigger picture - there are people who have destroyed this country socially economically for generations to come, so why don't you express your moral indignation at a different forum or better still, participate in the next demo outside our legislature in Leinster house to demand that the politicial pygmies, bankers and speculators etc etc get their rightful comuppances.

Quote :"Most ordinary people in this country despise informers, touts etc what ever you may wish to call them.

Holyier than thou types are not well thought of either."

Unquote: I dont agree.

If going around policing other peoples cars is your interest, I have a feeling the lesson to be learned still awaits you, unless of course you can continue to slither around un-noticed checking tax discs in your area.

Only one slithering around is the VRT and Road Tax evading freeloader and maybe the people here supporting him.

Do you police your neighbours car tax and NCT disks?

I didnt drive my car for 6 months last year. How much did that cost you?

This thread is about UK registered vehicles, is your vehicle a UK reg ?

That case was regarding a taxed and mot`d UK car. The vehicle is not taxed or nct`d/ mot`d in the uk or republic.

That case was regarding a taxed and mot`d UK car. The vehicle is not taxed or nct`d/ mot`d in the uk or republic.

So you, or "your friend", wont report the next door neighbour, for having no tax or NCT, except if it is a UK car they have??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Bluefang wrote: »
    Most ordinary people in this country despise informers, touts etc what ever you may wish to call them.

Those people are idiots. A policeman is simply a citizen paid to do fulltime what every citizen should do themselves. Most decent people do not despise touts unless they are the one being touted on.

Small crimes beget bigger crimes. Traffic stops result in drugs finds. Stopping a trespasser often means stopping a burglary. If you ignore the small things you have no right to complain about the big things.

I see no reason why the man in question should be driving around in a car that's not registered taxed ot NCT'd when the rest of us have to. If he can't afford it then he should downgrade. Simple as that.

So you, or "your friend", wont report the next door neighbour, for having no tax or NCT, except if it is a UK car they have??

I cant speak for my friend. I personally would report ANY vehicle that was being used on public roads and had no Road Tax or NCT. The lack of NCT alone could cost someone their life with a defective/ dangerous vehicle. Would you like your family to be wiped out with a defective large 4x4 ? And lets be honest if there is no NCT maybe the insurance would be void too. I get the impression you might prefer life somewhere with a lawless culture as you dont seem to support laws or regulations much.

Is his car nicer than yours?

ManMade wrote: »
    Is his car nicer than yours?
    This is a serious thread childishness does not help anybody. I will answer your question though, my car is much nicer and newer.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Those people are idiots. A policeman is simply a citizen paid to do fulltime what every citizen should do themselves.

So you would report your neighbours, friends and family then?

Boards answer: Of course.

Real life answer: No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Only one slithering around is the VRT and Road Tax evading freeloader and maybe the people here supporting him.

Not supporting him. Just being critical of your assumptions of him and the apparent vendetta you have against someone who MAY be in the wrong. You reported your "suspicion's" about him. Now you should move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

So you would report your neighbours, friends and family then?

Boards answer: Of course.

Real life answer: No.

I dislike my neighbours immensely. My friends and family don't evade tax.

This is a serious thread childishness does not help anybody. I will answer your question though, my car is much nicer and newer.
    Then I don't see what your problem is? If the car ain't that nice what's the point of customs taking it? Could you give us an approx value of the car or even it's make?

Also my question was serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Wow I'm very surprised at the personal level of dissatisfaction at the OPs actions.

Just wanted to say that I think that the OP was spot on in reporting the matter. The law is the law and if anyone feels that put out about suspected crimes being reported and action taken in accordance with the law then perhaps they should consider setting up a dictatorship somewhere.

• Advertisement

gutteruu wrote: »
    Not supporting him. Just being critical of your assumptions of him and the apparent vendetta you have against someone who MAY be in the wrong. You reported your "suspicion's" about him. Now you should move on.
    I reported nothing, this proves you did not even read the post properly. You ARE supporting him, it is not assumptions, there is no vendetta, no suspicions just facts. I will move on when I am ready not when I am told. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement