Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omagh election candidate - I'd recriminalize homosexuality

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think the rise of FN in France in the last few years could be down to voter dissatisfaction with "established" parties, if this BBC article is to be believed. You have to wonder, why not vote for someone other than FN as a protest vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Delete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I think all the economic reasoning about the far right is exactly what Im afraid of. I dont think I really have a handle on it but its my understanding that thats how fascism starts with it all being reasonable. Remember the reasonable arguments recently about how nobody was homophobic. Thats how fascism can start too perfectly reasonably not against anyone but for growth, for us all to stick together and get out of the **** we are in and get back to a better time when we were stronger, had more pride and a sense of identity and got rid of those who have caused this economic and social collapse.
    Thats whats being said now.

You know the way people have been talking about the importance of us looking at how all discriminations are interconnected so that we dont just look at one issue in isolation I think all that idea is probably even more important now.
    I think it is important for LGBT people to recognise how fascism grows, how it starts, what kind of things happen in order for it to take some foothold.
    I dont really understand how it works but a lot of whats going on politically seems to me to be foundations for a rise in fascism from my limited understanding and like I say I may be over anxious about this I dont know . Ireland has had a fairly homogenous society up to now as Aard says and some of us have paid the price of not fitting into that sense of what Irish people should be like already.
    Fascists are working now on economic issues and they may be blaming immigrants, the EU etc for the moment, and we may find some of that understandable, but we really really need to understand that we LGBT people are also on their list of who to blame for destroying the economic and the moral basis of the society they are working towards. Weve seen this in the anti gay marriage protests and riots in France where they were marching to support "traditional values" thats where we fit in they think we erode the moral fabric of society with non traditional values. We need to learn to argue against the arguments not just against us but the other groups they are against too before they get to us, I think.

My fears are kind of influenced by the novel The Wave and the German 2008 movie Die Welle. I cant find a full english version of this online to post here,just this clip of the last part but thats scary enough.
    Id imagine many of you are familiar with it or the book, I think it is studied in some schools now. Anyway the wave is kind of about how fascism is easy to perpetuate given the right conditions, with people searching for a purpose, something to believe in and be a part of and lead by someone who has the answers. Being part of a successful group on the rise like that, can make it difficult to say you dont believe in everything the group believes in without seeming like a traitor. Thats when really nasty things can happen when people who feel part of the group, the nation, us not them, feel they cant or wont speak out against the things happening to those who are blamed or who go against the groups ideals. Maybe a little paranoia ahead of time, even if it never happens is no harm. The arguments in the clip below are frighteningly similar to some of the political arguments at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Aaaand she's back...

http://ulsterherald.com/2017/02/09/video-controversial-candidate-back-ballot/
    Mrs White once again stated her belief that children are being “brainwashed, manipulated and recruited to the homosexual lifestyle by the LGBT agenda”.

Asked if she was concerned over the offence her views may cause and the potential breach of hate crime legislation, the candidate described herself as “a truth teller”.

“People need to hear the truth, the truth hurts sometimes. But the truth must be told.

“I do not fear man,” she added. “I do not fear hate crime laws. They will not silence me, I will continue to speak the truth, I will continue to uphold biblical values, should I be the only one left espousing such values.”

She's just lovely.Her manifesto includes....

Banning Rock music
    Criminalising adultery and homosexuality
    Banning feminism

Frighteningly she managed 165 votes in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Children are being recruited to the homosexual lifestyle, eh?

Maybe she should try the trans lifestyle. That's where the danger lies. We should get the kids into the trans way of life, and brainwash them with feminist messages too.

(Please note: The above post is written in a satirical and sarcastic way. Sure, we all know (well most normal people know) it's not a lifestyle.)

• Advertisement

I'm embarrassed to be from the same county as her and there's some right whoppers in Tyrone but she's the rightest.

Well it's nice to know that she's against animal cruelty, that's one plus at least! :pac:
    And "banning feminism" is probably a vote winner in certain circles, depressingly. 67 in 2014 to 165 in 2015...clearly this trend means that she will reach quadruple figures this time around!!
    “They are afraid of being accused of hate speech or hate crime, but I’m convinced many people believe exactly as I believe and feel as I feel.

“They want someone like me to articulate what they are afraid to say, and I’m more than happy to speak out and speak up.”

She's convinced that many people want someone like her, despite these "many" not voting for her in three previous elections (via anonymous balloting that requires no speaking out)? Ok then...... #AlternativeFacts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

67 in 2014 to 165 in 2015...clearly this trend means that she will reach quadruple figures this time around!!

She only managed 85 in 2016 so no exponential trend thankfully. The YouTube video in the Ulster Herald article that was linked a few posts back is hilarious yet scary in equal measure.

According to her blog she thinks the DUP are 'godless' and too soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Leave her at it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Is she a closet case? Those that protest too much usually have something to hide.
    According to her Wiki page "she's in danger from gay people".
    Sweetheart, with a face like that you have no worries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

An ignorant, bigoted individual. I feel sorry for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rob G

Cromwell reincarnated.

Would that be God who said love your neighbour as yourself and judge not that ye be not judged she feels the need to stand up for?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Her manifesto is so negative, ban this,punish that.....nothing positive or good. I feel very sorry for her, a happy and contented person wouldn't have that kind of attitude. She must be a very fearful and paranoid woman to feel under attack by liberalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

She only managed 85 in 2016 so no exponential trend thankfully.

Down to 41 this time -- which is both good and sad. Great that the electors of West Tyrone are not swayed by her particular view of the world -- and somehow sad that there are even 40 who are.... I'm presuming she voted for herself!

lottpaul wrote: »
    Down to 41 this time -- which is both good and sad. Great that the electors of West Tyrone are not swayed by her particular view of the world -- and somehow sad that there are even 40 who are.... I'm presuming she voted for herself!

It's a great result to have someone with those views stand and be so completely rejected. One of the highlights of the day for me.

I presume that her family and friends and maybe a few mistakes accounted for her votes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

165 in 2015

I get what you mean but I prefer to think it means that 124 people got the help they needed over the last 2 years. Silver lining and all that... :pac:

This does make me wonder what Roger Lomas did to actually do worse than her, he got 27 votes. I know he is pro-hunting but to do that badly he must have REALLY fecked up his campaign

http://elections.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ni-assembly-2017/west-tyrone

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

...even I can't get a copy of the homosexual agenda and I have really exhausted all avenues at this point.

Can't believe you missed that meeting :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

40 would hardly constitute direct and extended family members plus a few neighbours/friends so even they didn't vote for her...40 is a relative drop in the ocean and an utter failure (she would have garnered more publicity than the average no-hoper as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

road_high wrote: »
    40 would hardly constitute direct and extended family members plus a few neighbours/friends so even they didn't vote for her...40 is a relative drop in the ocean and an utter failure (she would have garnered more publicity than the average no-hoper as well).

I doubt family would vote for a bigot out of loyalty

Her most recent blog post (March 5th) shows she's not taking it very well!

• Advertisement

I know it's not very christian to gloat but Damm that's some funny stuff.

Advertisement