Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super cheap ferry to France

Options
  • 13-12-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Over on bargain alerts. This thread here.

Days and times aren't flexible but I got a price of €340 for a motorhome, cabin both ways and 2 adults. Sailing out on a Friday and coming back on a Wednesday. They seem to only be Friday out and Wednesday back but for that price, who cares?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

cheap, but I couldn't stand all that rowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

2ahz0n6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Plus they sail to St Nazaire (Nantes)

Thats's a good 3 - 4 hour drive saved. If you're heading down South you could probably make it in 1 day now.

Wonder will IF reduce their prices now? Hurray for competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Booked there 4th-23rd £319.50 thats 800km and €80 worth of diesel shaved off the journey!

Was originally quoting me £349, I clicked through from this page and got the lower price: http://ldlines.co.uk/offers/saint-nazaire-rosslare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

its 700 euro cheaper for us than irish ferries.. worth booking I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

Just booked it for next June July and saved €1365.00 compared to Brittany ferries for the RV and trailer even though I live near Ringaskiddy being dropped in Vendee saves me 400 Km's driving up and down France so on the fuel and ferry it is worth taking LD Ferries I know it is a long time on board the boat ( 22 hours ) so I will just think of the money :) my kids are 16 and 20 so they can look after themselves as long as the wifi works they will be happy

That's mine booked.

€420 v's €1,440 !!

No brainer if you ask me.

The ship looks like its from the same stable as the CL ship. Same layout and same decor plus same size. That means that the facilities on board will be minimal.

There are compromises to be made as against the relevant luxury and space of IF. We will be only staying for 11 nights in France v's our usual 15 but saving €1,000 plus the diesel plus the driving time and it is well worth it.

We've agreed that we'll just have more weekends away in Ireland and we'll keep our Tesco Clubcard tokens for Summer of 2015 with IF.

Any indication of how long the opening offer will be running for? This will hit IF and CL but BF will suffer the most I think. It's great to have the choice now with all the extra capacity between Ireland and France. Competition is good. €1,000 good in my case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Wow - these prices are unreal - 390 versus 1130 on IF for more or less the same duration holiday. There must be a catch. Is it a pilgrim ship?

dfbemt wrote: »
    The ship looks like its from the same stable as the CL ship. Same layout and same decor plus same size. That means that the facilities on board will be minimal.

No mention of freight places on this boat like ther is on her sister ship norman asturias so maybe they've refit for more facilities.
    http://ldlines.co.uk/welcome-on-board/norman-asturias

Couldn't give a toss anyway we usually bring loads of food and with kindles, podcasts, tablets everyones is happy.

Sister ships:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27NIZKaug-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khzjJD_MNzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl3F40Dwj8Q

similar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7G2CYEgyKE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 pedro500

Motorhome, cabin for July 4th-23rd for 367euro - unbelievable bargain. The savings buy a lot of pain au chocolats and grand crus (the breakfast of kings:eek:)
    I see in the press release that the launch offer price is limited to the first 200.

pedro500 wrote: »
    Motorhome, cabin for July 4th-23rd for 367euro - unbelievable bargain. The savings buy a lot of pain au chocolats and grand crus (the breakfast of kings:eek:)
    I see in the press release that the launch offer price is limited to the first 200.

Judging by the response over on BA they must be near the 200 at this stage. If you're thinking about it you best get in there quick.

Same dates here see you in the queue :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pedro500

PaddyP, will keep an eye out for the lad grinning like a Cheshire cat!
    As a marketing exercise, LD Lines are certainly getting there name out there like wildfire with the launch deal, will be interesting to see the knock on effects.
    Worst ferry experience was arriving in Rosslare for Celtic Link ferry when heading to the Euros but it wasn't there, had to take a P&O and land bridge to Dover Calais through the night at the last minute...not even a follow up apology for the inconvenience and additional costs incurred, wouldn't be rushing back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Worst ferry experience was arriving in Rosslare for Celtic Link ferry when heading to the Euros but it wasn't there

What on earth happened? Surprised to hear that, have found CL to be brilliant over the last 3 years

Are LD lines new to the Irish market? Has anyone traveled with them before? Any comments on reliability, punctuality, overall quality of the company?
    very tempted to move my summer booking to them, going on those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

kelbal wrote: »
    What on earth happened? Surprised to hear that, have found CL to be brilliant over the last 3 years

The boat never left Cherbourg the day before. That destroyed the trip to france for many people that night.

Travelling back 2 weeks later they were 4 hours late arriving in Rosslare. The excuse was high seas during the night but there wasnt a puff of wind.

Whatever about what happened then I havent heard any bad reports since. It gets you there and back. Its not a cruise, its a ferry, at the right price.

pastense wrote: »
    The boat never left Cherbourg the day before. That destroyed the trip to france for many people that night.

Travelling back 2 weeks later they were 4 hours late arriving in Rosslare. The excuse was high seas during the night but there wasnt a puff of wind.

Whatever about what happened then I havent heard any bad reports since. It gets you there and back. Its not a cruise, its a ferry, at the right price.

we've gone the last 3 years with them - boats have left on the button when they were supposed to, arriving on time. Spotlessly clean, very friendly to deal with.
    Shame that happened, but must have been a very rare problem with them.
    I'd certainly recommend them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This is all part of the EU motorways of the sea scheme, I think there is some kind of encouragement to use sea travel more in the EU states that have the facility to do so.
    This was flagged a couple of years ago with BF IIRC to Gijon but it seems that Louis Dreyfuss has moved into this route.
    Competition is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 xtdrew

just spotted this thread and immediately booked for 4th July to 13th August. Travelled with Celtic before with no complaints but this was too much of a saving to miss - thanks for the heads-up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

just looking at a booking for june, outdoor cabin, 2 adults + 2 kids = 555euro. not much savings there compared to IF at 587.
    only saving appears to be on the drive time when heading south.

have I missed all these good deals mentioned here?

I think it was an introductory offer for 1st 500 customers or something.

Make sure to pack your rain coats for your "outdoor" cabin :D

Advertisement