Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romantic things to do? or Youve done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I had stayed the night at my boyfriend's house (ex boyfriend now). And he dropped me home the following afternoon. I realised I'd left my pillow at his, because I often bring it with me I love it so much.
    He drove back home, and we were texting away, when he said he was going for a shower so he'd text me afterwards. Next thing he turns up at my front door with the pillow! The journey was a half hour each way. I was so surprised, and delighted. I'll never forget that kind of effort :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Was with a girl who had a tragedy in her life. Her dad had hung himself years before we got together and she was going through mourning late. She had a really rough day on a Friday. I woke up early and drove her to work and consoled her then went to a local spa and bought her a half day session and fancy lunch.

I bought her a VHS to DVD converter for getting the family videos backed up of her dad and the family.

I use to always give her shoulder and neck rubs. If I went out without her I'd go back to hers and bring her food from Supermacs.

I brought her on two holidays where I paid for everything. Went to Vegas with her and paid for a night in a penthouse suite in The Veneitian hotel, brought her on weekend trips around Ireland. Use to always get her her favourite chocolate bar anytime I was in a shop.

I helped her mother move, clearing out the old house. Helped her sister with her final year project, carrying power generator and beds and sh!t around beaches and forests. And helped the girl herself with her PhD study going around at public events to try and get participants for her study. I gave up a high paying job in London to stay with her, because I thought it would be tough on her since she was having such a tough time, going to counselling etc.

Anyway she cheated on me, showed no remorse, claimed I was an abusive boyfriend and left me.

I no longer go as full on with things any more unfortunately but with my current girlfriend I brought her to Kilronan castle and around the West...she loves elephants, we went to water for elephants and I found out how much she liked them. So I bought her this little elephant charm thing and brought her to Dublin Zoo. I gave her the pendant thing at the elephant enclosure.

I try to make an effort and enjoy it myself. I feel ok treating myself when I'm treating somebody else.

Things that I have done-

When an ex was getting her hair cut, she was sounding really down in texts, because she was getting a completely new hairstyle. So I waited outside the hairdressers with a single rose, just to make her smile when she was finished.

On a rainy day, when I knew she'd be staying at mine and I wasn't working, I'd bring an umbrella to walk her home after work, so she wouldn't get wet.

With other girlfriends, I would surprise them with dinners (I like to think I'm a mighty good cook), their favourite icecream, whatever trinkets I might have seen and thought they'd like. For a date with another ex, I surprised her with a bottle of wine, some plastic wine glasses and a blanket, and we sat underneath the stars and cuddled, drinking wine.

What can I say? I'm a romantic and mushy guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Wompa1 wrote: »

Anyway she cheated on me, showed no remorse, claimed I was an abusive boyfriend and left me.

Hard luck there Wompa but fair play to you for not letting your previous experience ruin your current relationship :), best of luck with it.

My own story is just a small one, but it changed the relationship from 'see how it goes' to 'he's deadly' :D. I had been seeing my boyfriend for just two/three weeks. I was studying at the time and when I finished my exams, he took me out to dinner which was lovely. But he also gave me a small wrapped parcel, inside was To Kill a Mockingbird. The fact that he remembered that it was a book I'd never read was so sweet. In the meantime he's brought me to lovely places and given me lovely presents, but I always remember that first gift with a particular fondness.

His sense of humour is deadly too :), rips the pee out of me on a daily basis

EDIT : Brilliant thread by the way, some lovely stories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Things that I have done-

When an ex was getting her hair cut, she was sounding really down in texts, because she was getting a completely new hairstyle. So I waited outside the hairdressers with a single rose, just to make her smile when she was finished.

On a rainy day, when I knew she'd be staying at mine and I wasn't working, I'd bring an umbrella to walk her home after work, so she wouldn't get wet.

With other girlfriends, I would surprise them with dinners (I like to think I'm a mighty good cook), their favourite icecream, whatever trinkets I might have seen and thought they'd like. For a date with another ex, I surprised her with a bottle of wine, some plastic wine glasses and a blanket, and we sat underneath the stars and cuddled, drinking wine.

Uhhh, are you single?
    :pac:

Sauve wrote: »
    Things that I have done-

Uhhh, are you single?
    :pac:

Yup, I am. Unfortunately. Ha.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Two weeks ago I was challenged to write a Petrarchan sonnet in a pub in Limerick, about 15 minutes before closing time. I started writing about one of the girls I was drinking with and managed to get it finished before she left, so she was able to read it in the taxi afterwards.

I contacted her a few days later to let her know I meant what I said in the poem, and that I'd been meaning to say it for ages. We ended up kissing in the same pub over the weekend. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

my ex used to enjoy walking by the river in the evenings. on valentines day I promised I'd see her later that night, but I had set up a blanket, food, flowers and about 300 tea light candles in a little secret cove off the beaten track and surprised her with that. we stayed and watched the sunset. its the little things though that get them. I always try text here in the morning and say she's beautiful. that relationship didn't last and I've been emotionally crippled since, too the point that my new relationships have been affected. I'm not the romantic guy I used to be, but this thread makes me want to be better to the lady who's special to me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    my ex used to enjoy walking by the river in the evenings. on valentines day I promised I'd see her later that night, but I had set up a blanket, food, flowers and about 300 tea light candles in a little secret cove off the beaten track and surprised her with that. we stayed and watched the sunset. its the little things though that get them. I always try text here in the morning and say she's beautiful. that relationship didn't last and I've been emotionally crippled since, too the point that my new relationships have been affected. I'm not the romantic guy I used to be, but this thread makes me want to be better to the lady who's special to me. :o

Awwww!

It's so hard to read other people sometimes. That's why you always hear of break ups happening 'out of the blue'. And when you've been through a hard time in a relationship, it's very difficult to tell who is and who isn't genuine, you start to doubt your own intuition so to speak. It's not easy, but you have to believe in yourself, and believe that the way you're doing things is the right way! There's no such thing as the 'wrong way', only other people's opinions! (and other people's opinions usually suck :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

On way home from the beers in Feb, her feet were killing her from heels, so I gave her my shoes and walked home bare foot :)

Haha I bet I was a sight, all dressed up in my size 10 shoes. Fun night :)

Fab thread ! SB your going to have to up your game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Tea_Bag wrote: »

That is so cute! I think the OH should deffo read this thread. He hasn't a romantic bone in his body.

It isn't even romance sometimes, it is just thinking about, planning and doing something that will make the other persons day a bit brighter or easier.

The first night I met my ex, we were hanging out and talking until about 6.30 am. Around 2 am though I started getting cold. He gave me his jacket. At 3 am I was freezing. He walked to his home, went in, got the warmest coat he owned and brought it back to me. And my feet were sore from the heels so he gave me a piggyback to get a taxi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

So what the most romantic thing youve done for a woman? Or know of any romantic things to do? From the small things to the big things

Im curious to know call it research, ive dug myelf a hole with my mouth and I now have to find my way out of it.

The most romantic thing you can do is give a woman a real orgasm.
    Forget about flowers, chocolates, whispering sweet nothing etc.
    An orgasm is what a woman wants and if you can give her great orgasm she will love you forever.
    Every other 'romantic' thing is just papering over the cracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

snafuk35 wrote: »
    An orgasm is what a woman wants and if you can give her great orgasm she will love you forever.

I laughed tbh. :pac:

That_Guy wrote: »
    I laughed tbh. :pac:

Am I right or am I right?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

You speak the truth... this is all we want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

ihsb wrote: »

You speak the truth... this is all we want.
    I seriously disagree here. Yes sex and orgasms are important but saying you don't need to be romantic cause you give her orgasms is bull! Romance doesn't paper over anything... It help accentuate a relationship!

Pembily wrote: »
    I seriously disagree here. Yes sex and orgasms are important but saying you don't need to be romantic cause you give her orgasms is bull! Romance doesn't paper over anything... It help accentuate a relationship!

I have to disgree with you.

If a guy can give a woman sexual pleasure she will forgive him anything. If he is romantic to boot well and good.
    But if a guy is romantic and takes her out to dinner, goes on ocean cruises and remembers anniversaries but can't give her an orgasm there is a problem no matter how romantic he is.

We'll agree to differ! :D

I have to disgree with you.

If a guy can give a woman sexual pleasure she will forgive him anything. If he is romantic to boot well and good.
    But if a guy is romantic and takes her out to dinner, goes on ocean cruises and remembers anniversaries but can't give her an orgasm there is a problem no matter how romantic he is.

We'll agree to differ! :D
    I won't forgive a guy everything cause he can make me orgasm. Also if it's a good relationship the guy will be able to make me orgasm... So the point is kinda moot!

I won't forgive a guy everything cause he can make me orgasm. Also if it's a good relationship the guy will be able to make me orgasm... So the point is kinda moot!

In my experience women retrospectively justify their behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

If a guy can give a woman sexual pleasure she will forgive him anything.

Absolutely disagree. Maybe you've been lucky enough to meet women who think like this so that you don't have to put in any more effort, but I can assure you that it is not the norm.

• Advertisement

In my experience women retrospectively justify their behaviour.

Explain in English please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Explain in English please!

No no no pem - it goes:

"ENGLISH MOTHERF*CKER! DO YOU SPEAK IT?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Great thread alright!

- I always make her birthday / Christmas / anniversary cards - on the PC, printing onto card. Much more personal than bought cards.

- When Ic come back from travel abroad with work I hide small gifts from foreign countries (usually chewing gum / chocolate / jellies) in her car / laptop bag / cost etc. She loves discovering them.

St. David said 'Do the little things in life'. I try to express my love for my woman in the little things in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Great thread.......

Went back to the cafe where we had our first date and nicked a teaspoon.

Had it engraved with the name of the cafe and the date and gave it to her as a surprise one day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

The only thing I've done was when the girl was out of the country on Valentines day and we'd been chatting every morning on Skype, I used photoshop to create my own .PDF Valentines card with a handwritten message inside, just so she'd have something from me there when she woke up; pretty lame compared to some of the gestures mentioned in this thread but it was all I could do at the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Gf was getting a 4 hour bus back home to her parents so as she was buying her ticket I slipped a chocolate bar into her handbag and texted her after she'd be on the bus a bit to let her know it was there.

She really appreciates little gestures like that cause she's knows I do them of my own accord and don't feel obliged/need to be told to do them.

Not going out too long yet but I'm sure I'll have more to contribute soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kilometres

I love to find and share cool little places, one place was a little perch on a cliff above the sea.
    One evening, i brought her there with a camping stove to make tea, watched the sun set and then the stars. We just sat there for hours, then as a surprise, i lit one of those sky lanterns which she loved. Wont be forgetting that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Got another one as reminded by my current girlfriend. One weekend, I picked her up after work to bring her to dinner. We lived in Galway, I Told her we'd go to the Huntsman Inn. With her none the wiser. I picked that place because it is nice but it's actually across from the G Hotel. So I said maybe we could go to the cinema which is right by the G afterwards and when driving past the Huntsman said it looked kind of full so I might as well park over by the Cinema and Hotel.

So when we were going back to the car after dinner instead of going down in the elevator to the parking, I told her we had to go up and pulled the room key out.

I went there a few hours earlier and checked into a room. Setup a bunch of tea lights all around the room and bathroom. Got her a Lindt chocolate thingy, a teddy bear and a bunch of her favorite flowers. It would have been a complete suprise. She was working that day so I had the time to set it all up.

Wanna talk romantic? Girlfriend stayed over recently.....and the next day, I made HER a sandwich!! (and an awesome one at that!!)

Gender stereotypes be damned!! :)

Wanna talk romantic? Girlfriend stayed over recently.....and the next day, I made HER a sandwich!! (and an awesome one at that!!)

Gender stereotypes be damned!! :)

You're a keeper. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

You're a keeper. ;)

He sure is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

swapple wrote: »
    He sure is :)

apprently men cooking is sexy I heard?

I brought a girl on a picnic 2800 meters above sea level... to a cool little view of more or less the east itlaian alps :) we had cold meets and bread as i was a bum :pac:...

another time another girl we arranged to go on a date, and i need up saying bring some thing warm don't dress up, there was a meteor shower on and we watched that at remote beach about 2 minutes from my folks house then we drove back to dublin 3 hr drive, :pac:

then the generic stuff dozen white rose's meals and stuff but being honest i preferred the more creative dates then the usual ones there feckin boring sitting in a room talking... :)

Snowie wrote: »
    apprently men cooking is sexy I heard?

It can be, but that's not the only reason why he's a keeper :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You're a keeper. ;)

Well there's nothing worse than a BAD sandwich!! :)

It can be, but that's not the only reason why he's a keeper :D

:o
    Larianne wrote: »
    Well there's nothing worse than a BAD sandwich!! :)

QFT!!

And this was an EPIC sandwich!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

It can be,
    FML

:mad:

Your supposed to stroke mens egos around the internets at this point :)..

Not be all cool and say it can be :pac:

Im on to you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Reesy wrote: »
    Great thread alright!

- I always make her birthday / Christmas / anniversary cards - on the PC, printing onto card. Much more personal than bought cards.

- When Ic come back from travel abroad with work I hide small gifts from foreign countries (usually chewing gum / chocolate / jellies) in her car / laptop bag / cost etc. She loves discovering them.

St. David said 'Do the little things in life'. I try to express my love for my woman in the little things in life.

So no orgasms then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

My moment of romantic glory happened completely by chance.. We were in Paris for a few days, it was my first time and we went up to the eifel tower in the evening and it happened to be really foggy. It was also quite cold so I bought two hot chocolates and we sipped them looking through the fog at the lights below.. And I got this awesome photo from below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Made her beans on toast with scrambled eggs. Placed the eggs on the toast and poured the beans around it to leave a heart shape of scrambled eggs in the middle. Simple but she liked it. Brightened up her morning.

• Advertisement

Snowie wrote: »
    FML

:mad:

Your supposed to stroke mens egos around the internets at this point :)..

Not be all cool and say it can be :pac:

Im on to you :p

:pac: Hahaha I only said it can be sexy when a guy cooks because it's not if he gets all stressed out about it (like I've seen in the past!). But hey, that's just my opinion :)

I'm sure you're a wonderful cook! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

When I was 16 my girlfriend at the time loved 'Tigger' from winnie the pooh.

For xmas/birthay (I cant recall which it was) that year I set off looking for one of those massive tigger teddys. It was way harder to track down than I thought.
    I looked in every toyshop in Cork city but they only had a tiny version. Finally I found out that one of the shops in Cork had them but, they had sold them all; however they had a sister shop in Limerick.

I asked them to hold one for me and I was getting the next bus to Limerick. There I was with a four foot teddy bear walking down the main shopping district, and being 16 I was trying to still look like a tough guy (I have now accepted that was a futile effort)

When I gave her the teddy she absolutly lit up and was like a kid at xmas. All the trouble I had gone to felt like nothing when I saw her so happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

One time my gf and I were chatting about what our "rock star demands" would be, you know like having to have an all white room or something. Anyway, she said she would demand a bowl of only orange smarties. So I got a jar and filled it with orange smarties- took me FOREVER to pick them all out and get enough for a full jar. Fecking expensive too, there's like 4 in each packet or something! Anyway, that went down a storm.

Can you be my girlfriend? But instead I want red skittles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Can you be my girlfriend? But instead I want red skittles!

Good luck getting through my girlfriend, she's pretty tough!! ;)

Remember another thing I've done.

Bought a scrap book and filled it with various bits and pieces. For example various cinema tickets of films we went to see, mementos of our first date, little drawings of various private jokey things we had etc etc Took ages but worth it to see her wee smile.

I was loike well romantic.

Now I'm a cynical wanker. :pac: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Remember another thing I've done.

Bought a scrap book and filled it with various bits and pieces. For example various cinema tickets of films we went to see, mementos of our first date, little drawings of various private jokey things we had etc etc Took ages but worth it to see her wee smile.

I was loike well romantic.

Now I'm a cynical wanker. :pac: ;)

You may be cynical but that rosemantik potential is just hiding for now.

I am a cynic & can't remember ever doing anything romantic for someone that didn't go down like a lead balloon... But they are tales for the 'single & bitter' thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Same here, I gave up romantic gestures a long long time ago! I tried the table for two, the weekends away with the log fire, then terminal boredom sets in and you get the old "I need my space, not ready for a relationship" spiel.
    Me bitter and cynical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Treat my girlfriend to dinner or some flowers when she least expects it. Also, on occasion I write her romantic letters. :o Is that too soppy or old fashioned these days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Random gifts like flower, bunch of love heart balloons etc. Had a cancy tree sent to her recently, this lovely big thing made out of the lollies she loves. But I don't do anything on Valentines out of principle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

Treat my girlfriend to dinner or some flowers when she least expects it. Also, on occasion I write her romantic letters. :oIs that too soppy or old fashioned these days?

Are you kidding me?! I don't know one girl who wouldn't swoon over this :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement