Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Atlantic - launching February 1st

Options
  • 26-12-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

.....saw an ad for it yesterday, sounds interesting.....they've bought the complete HBO catalogue seemingly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

They also got the 'mad men' rights.

The channel will launch as 'Sky Atlantic' Channel 108 in January/February.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

hbo is hbo cos it makes good programming is sky going to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I am happy to see that it is a channel that will be available to all Sky subscribers. I thought they would have tried to charge extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Some info on the channel here:

http://www.skyprogrammeinformation.co.uk/download.asp?file=February%20Sky%20Atlantic.pdf

Worth noting Season 4 of Weeds and Battlestar Galactica are making an appearance on the channel. Sky 1 also have the rights to the next Sparatacus series.

Yes, it's important to note that Sky have bought content from HBO, Showtime and AMC for this new channel.

• Advertisement

Even more info here:

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/_downloads...ogos%20(W).pdf

Break down of what they have the rights to:

Broadwalk Empire:Series 1 & 2 (Q1 2011)
    Game of Thrones:Series 1 (Q2 2011)
    Treme:Series 1 & 2 (Q1 2011)
    Mildred Pierce:Series 1 (Q1 2011)
    Mad Men:Series 1-5 (Q3 2011)
    Big Love:Series 1-5 (Q1 2011)
    Luck:Series 1 (Q4 2011)
    How to make it in America:Series 1 (Q4 2011)
    In Treatment:Series 1-3 (Q4 2011)
    Enlightened:Series 1 (Q3 2011)

The Sopranos:Series 1-6 (Q1 2011)
    The Wire:Series 1-5 (Q4 2011)
    Six Feet Under:Series 1-5 (Q1 2011)
    Tell me you love me:TBC (Q1 2011)
    The Mind of a Married Man:Series 1 & 2 (Q3 2011)
    Angels in America:Series 1 (Q3 2011)
    Empire Falls:Series 1 (Q4 2011)
    Generation KillSeries 1 (TBC 2011)
    Bored to Death:Series 1 & 2 (Q2 2011)
    Eastbound and Down:Series 1 & 2 (Q1 2011)
    Funny or Die:Series 1 & 2 (Q2 2011)
    EntourageSeries 7 (Q1 2011)
    Weeds:Series 4-6 (Q1 2011)
    Flight of the Conchords:Series 1-2 (Q3 2011)
    Curb your Enthusiasm:Series 1-6 (Q1 2011)
    Hung:Series 1-6 (Q4 2011)

Daytime TV on Sky Atlantic will consist of full seasons of The X Files, Sienfeld, ER and Thirtysomethings in the 4th Quarter. It somewhat takes away from the "class" of the channel by showing these but something has to be shown during the days. Sky Arts programming will also be shown during the day.

Movies include:
    You Don't Know Jack
    The Lovely Bones
    The Blind Side
    Up in the Air
    Temple Grandin
    Invictus

Very surprised to see Avatar on list.

Documentaries and HBO stand ups form Chris Rock and Robbin Williams will also be shown.

This is probably the best decision Sky has ever made. The wealth of great Shows on the channel is amazing, two channels will nearly be needed. Sad to see some great series missing such as Carnivale or Deadwood. No early Seasons of Weeds or Entourage either, and was hoping Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad would make the list. A lot of great Shows wont make an appearance until later on in the year which is also disappointing.

Move FX beside Sky Atlantic and you'll have two killer channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dman001 wrote: »
    Daytime TV on Sky Atlantic will consist of full seasons of The X Files, Sienfeld, ER and Thirtysomethings in the 4th Quarter. It somewhat takes away from the "class" of the channel by showing these but something has to be shown during the days. Sky Arts programming will also be shown during the day.

The X-Files and Seinfeld are two of the best shows of the last few decades and longer, so even though they're not HBO or cable it really doesn't matter, there's plenty of HBO shows that are many times worse than either. The other two, well, I agree. The only thing is that both Seinfeld and The X-Files are in constant rotation on various channels, but I'd rather catch a glimpse of either rather than something that wasn't good. I'd hope they'd use the Seinfeld remasters made for the DVDs, but that might be overthinking the effort they'll put into filler shows.

Yes true, in fairness they are two very good shows. But as you said they have been shown hundreds of times on other channels. Although this is about to come to an end with the closure of Bravo and Channel 1, and the shuffle with Living.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Yeah showing Seinfeld and X Files is always good! :)

I'm looking forward to this channel. Hopefully a lot of it will be made available on Anytime.

Do we have a start date? I see BSG is starting in Feb. I'm excited to see what that is like after hearing so many positive reviews. Boardwalk Empire is class too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sounds like the best tv channel ever tbh, what a lineup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Wilson91

Glad to see Sopranos and The Wire on that list. 2 shows i have been meaning to watch for ages but never had the time. hopefully will get a chance now if its just on tv and no extra effort of finding them online/on dvd needed

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Now if only the got the rights to SATC too, purely to get it off Comedy Central

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I wonder how long the shows will be shown after they're aired in the U.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Living is changing to 'SKY Living' and moving to ch 107. Sky will have 3 really good channels now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

They have The Sopranos down as HD, it hasn't come out on Blu-Ray or such has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

season 1 is on bluray

amacachi wrote: »
    They have The Sopranos down as HD, it hasn't come out on Blu-Ray or such has it?

It is available in HD yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I'm looking forward to this channel. Hopefully a lot of it will be made available on Anytime.

maybe you know this but you still need to be a subscriber to the channel to watch anything from that channel on sky anytime. seen s it is a great marketing tool though im surethere will be plentyfrom this channel on anytime teasing you to subscribe

sounds good really looking forward to a game of thrones

amacachi wrote: »
    Season 6 is was also release in HD. The whole season may not be shown in HD, but Im sure HD will be used where possible.

90% of the content will be on the Sky Player too, with the exception of the Daytime stuff.

PeakOutput wrote: »
    maybe you know this but you still need to be a subscriber to the channel to watch anything from that channel on sky anytime. seen s it is a great marketing tool though im surethere will be plentyfrom this channel on anytime teasing you to subscribe

The advert states that this channel will be available to all Sky subscribers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Living is changing to 'SKY Living' and moving to ch 107. Sky will have 3 really good channels now.

What's going to be on Sky Living?

What's going to be on Sky Living?
    The usual Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Criminal Minds and CSI are going to stay on it but Bones and I think Lie to Me are moving to Living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

So are you sure this is going to be free
    Also what is going to be left on sky one then ?

House, NCIS:LA, Modern Family, Simpsons etc will still be on Sky One along with new shows such as Hawaii Five-0, Ride Along, Mad Dogs and the new season of Spartacus.

You only need the basic Sky package (€23 a month) to get Sky Atlantic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will this be available on UPC? And what about ads? HBO don't do ads during their shows, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Anyone know about UPC? f*ckin parents :mad:

Kiith wrote: »
    Will this be available on UPC? And what about ads? HBO don't do ads during their shows, do they?
    Im sure Sky will want to keep this multi million deal with HBO exclusive to Sky customers, so I wouldn't get your hopes up to see it on UPC.

Im sure we will be seeing ads too, the same way FX, C4, RTE, TG4 and others put ads on during HBO shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The advert states that this channel will be available to all Sky subscribers.

now that is sweet

i hope that dosnt mean they cant afford to buy the new shows quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Kiith wrote: »
    And what about ads? HBO don't do ads during their shows, do they?

this is a great question seeing as a lot of HBO shows throw in the odd hour long episode, i think most if the sopranos were around the 50 minute mark, are sky gonna add an extra 15 minutes to each episode, or are they gonna edit out a little bit here and a little bit there to make it fit into the hour, while also keeping there 15 minutes of ads,

its ab excellent concept and i really hope it works out, but i think the time delays will catch them out, that, and there gonna be cramming is it about 8 US tv channels programs into 3 channels, where are they gonna find time to put in the reality tv;),

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Sky Atlantic will be launching on the 11th of February !
    just heard..

Advertisement