Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anyone not use their phone while driving??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Glowing wrote: »
    Never - I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the two things at once! I wouldn't even use a bluetooth kit, it's bad enough that I have a radio to fiddle with.

Actually, I often punch off the radio altogether ~ it can be distracting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

golden8 wrote: »
    I was nearly hit side on at Stillorgan junction lights (I was on Trees Road turning onto N11 Wicklow bound) for us was green I was third car from start of the queue. A guy in a van broke the red lights. He managed to stop just in time although he did not touch/crash my car but the gap before impact was just about 4" and it was going for driver side. FYI all loose items that were in his van where shifted towards the front due to his emergency stop. He mentioned he did not see the lights. It was quite obvious that he did notice. I had a lucky escape.

Anyone who is constantly looking in mirrors for Guards is not concentrating on the job in hand ie driving. You might think that a bit harsh but when your at the receiving end you will pull over or ignore the phone until safe to make that call. I would consider myself very lucky that I did not loose my life through no fault of my own but for a person on a mobile talking.

Stay safe.

x2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I use the phone all the time but I have a bluetooth handsfree with voice recognition so I dont even look at my phone while driving not to mind pick it up.

True for the OP though I have never seen as many people using the phone. Texting is way way more dangerous than talking imo.

I dont mind the likes of reps or truckdrivers etc using the phone because they are well experienced. Its these mums with MPV`S and old men slowing down to 30 KMH to talk...:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

A company that I worked for had in their drivers manual that the likes of blue tooth headsets and nokia head phones are illegal to use while driving,Since it was a UK plc I had to inform that here in Ireland they are perfectely legal;).
    I use a nokia headset that when the phone rings i just press the button on the controler and talk away while having both hands on the wheel if I want to make a call I just press the controller say the name of who I want to ring and it does it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

-Corkie- wrote: »

I dont mind the likes of reps or truckdrivers etc using the phone because they are well experienced. Its these mums with MPV`S and old men slowing down to 30 KMH to talk...:mad::mad:

Wouldn't agree with that. The only experienced drivers in this country are people that have actually undergone serious training which is in the minority.

Your still trying to do two things at once which is nigh impossible to do.Your in a car etc to drive not talk / text. What is so important anyway? I have no problem with a fully handsfree system. But you should not have your phone in your hand.

• Advertisement

Is this law being enforced..

I got 2 penalty points years back and a fine :) The thing was I pulled in as I answered the call, the Garda also did me for crossing a continuous white line (I pulled in to the other side of the road :o ).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 conorby

You can not be done for changing a channel on a radio, ridiculous statement. Holding a phone while driving is the offence.

Advertisement