Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - should they stop announcements of stops?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

Some of the stop names are actually pretty stupid when there are far better landmarks they could use rather than road names.

One o the best ones I've seen is when on routes with more than one industrial estate, it will bark out "Industrial Estate" and sometimes with multiple stops on the same road they'll bark out the same road name each time.

I suppose this would make some of them longer than can fit on displays, but that rule doesn't apply for Irish names and the related scrolling bug on the LED displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Given the propensity of Dublin bus windows to fog up so you can barely see where you are even when used to the tried, I think these announcements are useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The 18 is never a busy route but it is useful that it crosses the city without going through An Lár.

2 OAP's downstairs and I sat upstairs all on my own. Within seconds the warning about smoking and fines came on

I hope that's automated and it wasn't a case the driver didn't like the look of me :pac:

Edit: I see my question was answered already ^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think the fluffy announcements should be axed immediately. The Irish ones are purely there to satisfy a lobby group...whatever. They wouldn't really be an issue if stops were spaced further apart, which would deliver other benefits....but Mary would have to walk 500 metres further to her bus stop so no go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't think every stop needs a name/announcement (much like not every bus stop gets an RTPI screen).
    Areas/localities/estates would be better imo (I realise I'll be in a minority on this) perhaps something along the lines of the 'stage' system.

So a section of say the 39A from Blackhall to BlanchardstownSC could get announcements for Stoneybatter, CabraX, BaggotRd, Kempton, AshtownRoundabout, ParkwayStation, Blanch VillageN3 and BlanchSC.

Would be a much usable system imo. I'm not sure how useful being blasted with the names of stops 150 metres apart is to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I don't think every stop needs a name/announcement (much like not every bus stop gets an RTPI screen).
    Areas/localities/estates would be better imo (I realise I'll be in a minority on this) perhaps something along the lines of the 'stage' system.

So a section of say the 39A from Blackhall to BlanchardstownSC could get announcements for Stoneybatter, CabraX, BaggotRd, Kempton, AshtownRoundabout, ParkwayStation, Blanch VillageN3 and BlanchSC.

Would be a much usable system imo. I'm not sure how useful being blasted with the names of stops 150 metres apart is to customers.
    This just doesn't follow any understood developed world system that I know of. You either announce all stops by name or none.

The announcements are really only for the visually impaired as everyone else can read the electronic display if unfamiliar with the area or look out the window otherwise (if in daylight) and they above all need to know EXACTLY where they are alighting so they can get their bearings and proceed to where they need to go. Telling a blind guy "you're roughly here" is really no use to him...he'll still have to then ask the driver for an exact stop.

The concept is basically fine (with the exception of the inane "please hold the handrail guff" but the stops are too close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

They are very useful for:

- passengers who may be using a particular bus for the first time, or on an infrequent basis & don't know where to get off.
    - people who can't see the landmarks coming up, that would let you know when your stop, as it is dark, or raining heavily & the windows are all fogged up.
    - people who may be tending to the needs of a child.
    - people who are standing when the bus is full, and other standing passengers are blocking their view out the windows.
    - non English/Irish speakers who may not be able to read & understand the names of streets on signs.
    - people getting off at stop on a road with no street sign.
    - children who are getting the bus on their own & need to be doubley sure of where to get off.

I honestly can't believe that something so obviously necessary & bog standard, as the announcing of stops on a mode of public transportation, is even up for debate. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

There's English announcements followed by the Irish announcements on all Irish Rail and Luas services. Why are people kicking up a fuss now that the buses have adopted this practice? Buses are far more confusing than rail services, so if anything, it's needed more, what with people not being familiar with Dublin and tourists perhaps not being aware that smoking is prohibited on public transport. Just my two cents.

My issue with the fluff (no smoking, use a handrail etc) is that the stops are so close together that it would be quite easy to miss one while this announcement is running. Fine if you know the route but what if you don't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

murphaph wrote: »
    I think the fluffy announcements should be axed immediately. The Irish ones are purely there to satisfy a lobby group...whatever. They wouldn't really be an issue if stops were spaced further apart, which would deliver other benefits....but Mary would have to walk 500 metres further to her bus stop so no go.

I've never seen the Irish used by public transport do anything other than confuse the vast majority of us who don't speak it in any kind of regular way. I've seen Dublin Bus stops where the destinations on the timetable at the stops were only in Irish. When you haven't laid eyes on the language in 20+ years suddenly trying to decipher An Carraig Dubh into Blackrock isn't that easy.

All adding Irish does at the end of the day is inconvenience the majority of people. Gaelgoirs can surely understand English and im sure it won't hurt them that much to use it for a split second rather than having this daft system we're saddled with just to keep a few language nazis happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Karsini wrote: »
    My issue with the fluff (no smoking, use a handrail etc) is that the stops are so close together that it would be quite easy to miss one while this announcement is running. Fine if you know the route but what if you don't?

In practice the safety announcements tend only to appear when there is sufficient distance between the stops for them and the stop name to both be announced.

They're not that frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I've never seen the Irish used by public transport do anything other than confuse the vast majority of us who don't speak it in any kind of regular way. I've seen Dublin Bus stops where the destinations on the timetable at the stops were only in Irish. When you haven't laid eyes on the language in 20+ years suddenly trying to decipher An Carraig Dubh into Blackrock isn't that easy.

All adding Irish does at the end of the day is inconvenience the majority of people. Gaelgoirs can surely understand English and im sure it won't hurt them that much to use it for a split second rather than having this daft system we're saddled with just to keep a few language nazis happy.

At the top of each timetable the general areas served are listed in Irish, but this is then repeated under the timetable in English with journey time estimates.

I don't believe that there is any timetable that does not have this.

Frankly if the use of our national language is causing you that much grief, I think you've little to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

I get pissed off at this idea that being anti-Gaeilge is a sign of some lack of pride in the country.
    Like with the height of respect who the hell are you to decide what makes anyone a proud Irish person or not?

Personally I take my Irish pride in the achievements on the world stage of the likes of Ken Doherty, Rory McIlroy, Aiden O'Brien, Robbie Keane, U2, Aiden Gillen, Daniel Day Lewis, etc or the achievements of the country as a whole, our welcoming and friendliness, our peacekeepers abroad, our willingness to travel and broaden our horizons. Hundreds of other things.

If I'd happily see the language die (and I would) then that doesn't mean I lack anything in pride.

Not sure what it says about your pride as such, it does speak volumes about how you identify yourself through and clearly you identify yourself as rejecting an important part of this country's herritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

GaelMise wrote: »
    Not sure what it says about your pride as such, it does speak volumes about how you identify yourself through and clearly you identify yourself as rejecting an important part of this country's herritage.

Did it take you three months to come up with that judgement?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

markpb wrote: »
    Did it take you three months to come up with that judgement?

You seem to be more interested in attacking people rather then posts.

I agree that its a lack of pride when you don't support the Irish language, but I am not making petty attacks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Old thread..and not even a useful resurrection

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement