Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

So, eh, any questions about Mary I? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is anyone else having trouble accessing their student e-mail accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

An File wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble accessing their student e-mail accounts?

The answer to your question is here my good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

EddyC15 wrote: »
    Hmmm... Dark Onion, eh?

I think I know your true identity. Thanks to An File.

I think I know his too...

And I think I may know yours :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Purplepenguin

Anyone here starting in mary i next week?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

An File is in Mary I, hasn't been too much mention this week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Both D4rk Onion and I will be starting 3rd Year this semester, so we'll hardly be in the college at all until January.

Hello Purplepenguin, welcome to hell...

We have a thread which got buried extremely fast! Here it is...

Could the mods merge, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Hello Purplepenguin, welcome to hell...

Is it that bad?:confused:

• Advertisement

pjtb wrote: »

Nothing is ever really "that bad" ;)
    It's true that Mary Immaculate College does take some getting used to.
    People like D4rk Onion and I would be quite cynical about the place, for our own reasons. I will say this: if you are not of strong Catholic belief, you will be annoyed from time to time.
    There are many, many bright sides to the college too though :)

pjtb wrote: »
    Ah, I like to be overly cynical about the place, it's not ALL that bad, once you get used to it. If you'd like, An File and I will be on campus next week, we can show you around. Anyone else, feel free to reply back on this, I'm sure An File will be up for it! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Just a suggestion, but if Mary I is not going to have its own forum on boards.ie, can we at least make this thread a sticky? it tends to get buried from time to time, plus it would make Mary I students more aware that the college has a forum.

I completely agree, at least make more people aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

So how was orientation for any freshers???

I hope I didn't frighten them all off with my naysaying :P

• Advertisement

Wish we could turn this into a regular discussion thread for Mary I...

Wish we could turn this into a regular discussion thread for Mary I...

Whats the process for making it a sticky? Who decides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Whats the process for making it a sticky? Who decides?

Ask one of the mods Peteee or sceptre.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

I should see them both at some stage tonight!!!

I'm all up for a Mary I sticky..... I'll keep at them till they do it!!!:D:D:D

I'm so proud of you guys! *sniffs*

How's everyone settling back in? Teaching Practice is poo, I have nothing to look forward to for the next ba-zillion months :(

• Advertisement

I noticed there are hand cleaner units up all over the college, haven't seen a single person use them yet!

RonMexico wrote: »
    I noticed there are hand cleaner units up all over the college, haven't seen a single person use them yet!

D4RK ONION uses those things obsessively! :D

I'd drink it if it made it more effective.

What course are you doing, if you don't mind me asking?

D4RK ONION uses those things obsessively! :D

I wouldn't say it's obsessive, I just don't want to risk being sick for TP, plus they make your hands tingle and shiny clean! :D

For the record I suppose, I'm in 3rd year B.ED.

Postgrad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Stickied for the time being. Hopefully ye continue using this thread!

Peteee wrote: »
    Stickied for the time being. Hopefully ye continue using this thread!
    Thanks, I suppose creating a different forum for Mary I was impractical in fairness, but a sticky is a good idea.

Thanks for that !! So what does everybody think of the new building?? About time some money was invested in the place.

Thanks Peteee, I hope this is one of the stickies that people actually read!

@RonMexico, the new building seems to be coming along nicely. Rumour has it some facilites may be available as early as the beginning of next semester. It's a much-needed addition to the college.

• Advertisement

And it makes the place look so much better. I feel like one day this place might actually not be an eye sore. The mocked up pictures over by the reception certainly look very shiny.

And thanks for the stickey peteee!

Yeah now if only they could do something with the exterior of the library. I was trying to figure out what it reminds me of and then it came to me in a flash - a sticklebrick! Ugly ugly building.

If they fix that, open the new building, get rid of the prefabs and tidy the place up it would be quite an improvment.

Then there is that awful awful roof on the corridor by the SU. :eek:

Then there is that awful awful roof on the corridor by the SU. :eek:

That new coat of paint only highlighted just how bad the ceiling really is! :D

Yes, the new coat of paint cetainly did wonders over there, but the roof has to go. One year I saw a plant growing down through the roof into the hall. It was actually disgraceful. I laughed, then I took a photo.

Lets be honest here for a minute - we are talking about one of the busiest corridors on campus and the "roof" is actually the kind you would find on an old garden shed.

There is thick green sludge growing on it. :D

I bet the Erasmus and American students are highly impressed :pac:

I'm sure they go home to their families and speak in whispers of the hallowed, mouldy halls of Mary Immaculate College. :p

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I'm sure they go home to their families and speak in whispers of the hallowed, mouldy halls of Mary Immaculate College. :p
    Look at it this way, UL has got the Living Bridge, Mary I has the Living Roof!:D

Having attended other colleges and studied abroad I have to say despite some of the faults evident in Mary I (mostly due to funding) the college is GREAT.

1: The size is a bonus in my opinion - in large universities you are just a number in a very large crowd. There is a much friendlier atmosphere in Mary I.

2: Having spent a considerable amount of time getting soaked to the skin walking around U.L. in the middle of winter I am glad that I can get around Mary I quickly and generally unscathed by our cruel weather. :D

3: Smaller groups usually means that you get to know the lecturers and tutors which is important if you have a problem and need help. They are all usually very accommodating.

4: Forget The Stables - You can't beat the pint of Guinness in Fenesseys.

5: Last but not least - you are surrounded by gorgeous wimminz :pac:

Forget The Stables - You can't beat the pint of Guinness in Fenesseys.

That is a fact, one of the best, if not the best pints in Limerick.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one here who reads the Daily Bitch about U.L. thread and afterwards thanks the gods that I am in Mary I ? :D

Would a daily bitch about Mary I thread have so many problems ??

Am I the only one here who reads the Daily Bitch about U.L. thread and afterwards thanks the gods that I am in Mary I ? :D

Would a daily bitch about Mary I thread have so many problems ??
    It's probably due to the fact that not enough MIC students know that there is a Mary I thread in boards. But at the same time there probably would not be as much bitchin!

I'd have a few things to complain about, but not as many I'd say. Also we could remedy that. Just do up a few posters of something with a URL shrink-ey thing. Then again how many people in Mary I know that the internet has more use than to go on facebook. I'd say about 10% is fair.

So what things do bother ye???

I must admit the canteen gets to me although it has improved a lot.

Oh and why did they take away the payphones near the IT office??? They were handy if I had no credit!

Cathecitics classes always get right up my nose, it's like religious indoctrination. I also have this thing against the SU. I never feel like I should be in there :confused:

Yeah I have witnessed a few of those classes in action and the impression I got was that it looked - "dated". Like from the 50's.

I know what you mean about the SU - I think it is because the office is so small. You walk in there and everybody is talking to each other, then when you speak they all stop and you feel like they are all listening to your query/problem. Which they probably are.

Can't say I have ecer really had anything to do with the SU - they are pretty powerless in Mary I.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean about the SU - I think it is because the office is so small. You walk in there and everybody is talking to each other, then when you speak they all stop and you feel like they are all listening to your query/problem. Which they probably are.

Can't say I have ever really had anything to do with the SU - they are pretty powerless in Mary I.

Nail, on head, hit. It feels like if you go in for a chat (as that student diary thing suggests :rolleyes:) you're interrupting a very important clique from seriouz buiznezz... And to be honest I don't even know what they do, I know in my two years thus far, I've never seen anything important come out of the SU, except last year when they removed everyone's right to put posters up, so they could pimp their new site (which sucks), leaving the walls of Mary I dull and boring. Those two from last year were a complete joke.

[/rant]
    Sorry :o

It sounds like I'm alone in liking the SU office! But I was fairly friendly with Darrel last year, and I'd get on very well with most of this year's Union too, so it's always going to be more comfortable when you know who you're talking to.

Dislikes: brutal music in the canteen and in An Siopa. They should be playing Wired FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Hey there!

I have to step in and defend the su...

Its true that they aren't afforded as much power as the su in larger colleges like ul; however they do make a difference. I'll give three relevant examples:

The college put back the computer lab closing time to 6pm due to the recession or some cost cutting measure. No one was happy with this...SU lobbied the college. The computer room is now back to normal opening hours.

The B.Ed and Psychs & ECCE students have been the only courses in the college without official notice boards for the last number of years. This year the new SU got us a notice board!! (small thing, but important nonetheless!!)

The college pays for one nurse at the health center. This is completely inadequate so last year the SU gave the funding to hire a second nurse so as to relieve the pressure and see more students.

One of the main criticisms of the SU is that it is a bit clique-y, but what can you expect from a small college where the same group of people end up running for positions and running the clubs and socs every year. Its kind of inevitable that these people will get friendly.. If you have a problem with how things are run you should step in and offer your two cents..most societies are dying for help!

In relation to Wired not being played in the canteen, siopa, lounge; Wired goes back on air next monday so its impossible to air it at present.
    The canteen is run by Campbell Catering so the su have no power over what is played. Last years' ents officers made a formal request to Campbells to have wired played in the canteen; it was played for about a week before changing back to spin.
    Most people complain when music is on in the lounge because so much group work ends up being done there. The siopa should play Wired, but its up to the ladies who work there really.
    The Wired FM schedule is much more structured this year so hopefully it will be played more in the college (eg it won't go from pop show -> death metal or anything so dramatically different)
    Also Wired FM will be streaming online in the coming weeks..

Ah it's yourself. Congrats on your first post!
    The college put back the computer lab closing time to 6pm due to the recession or some cost cutting measure. No one was happy with this...SU lobbied the college. The computer room is now back to normal opening hours.
    Wasn't their a note on the door that said that they were going to put the times back to normal soon as they could? Or was that all part of the web of despair and evil. Ha... (ww)web :P
    One of the main criticisms of the SU is that it is a bit clique-y... ...If you have a problem with how things are run you should step in and offer your two cents..
    The whole clique-yness is what puts people off from doing this in the first place. It may be easy for someone as well known around the college like yourself, but for the people who sort of hang out in the background, such a propistion is both more difficult and daunting.
    I have to step in and defend the su...
    Nothing to defend really, I personally have nothing agaisnt the SU office, I'm just saying I likewise have no good experiences with them. If I want something done I go to Student Services. Great bunch up there, from my experience.

As for the Wired F.M. thing, I was aware of the whole "not on air yet" thing, but I can almost guarantee that when they do finally get back up and running (have you a show again?), that the canteen will still be playing Spin F.M. despite the speakers in their belonging to Wired... Madness. The shop is another story though, and as far as I'm concerned those women (and that one hairy man)have more than earned the right to listen to whatever the hell they want! Last time I was in the lounge, "The Box" was playing at full blast *shudders*...

Finally a massive w00t to the fact that wired is FINALLY streaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Yes I have a show again this year; 7-8 on wednesday evenings.
    How about you d4rk onion? I presume you will in sem2 when all your tp is over.
    It may be easy for someone as well known around the college like yourself

I'm hardly well known...You have to just get involved!! (or not...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement