Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Sheamus?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Wonder how many Yanks get Sheamus's shirt:

BvfgwhPIUAAYqO2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Makes you wonder if that's just a random crack head who asked for a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭briany

Reebrock wrote: »
    Makes you wonder if that's just a random crack head who asked for a photo.

We can tell from the countless Facebook photos documenting the subject that many self-described craic addicts believe incessant picture taking to be complimentary to their high.

Weird pic or is Prince Devitt wearing a Sheamus face mask?

F0AAF804-9163-4897-8A20-690DD4C90D51_zps8h1pf9ns.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60,352 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder is there a way of linking what McGregor is doing in the UFC to Sheamus getting a shot at former UFC champ Lesnar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

I wonder is there a way of linking what McGregor is doing in the UFC to Sheamus getting a shot at former UFC champ Lesnar?

i like the idea of linking with mcgregor but it wood probably have to be as a WM guest. is he as well know as loved in the states as he is here. we all love CMcG but would the WWE not be afraid of people turning over to UFC seen as McG is hot property?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

McGregor at WM would be mental fun.

Thinking out loud, I can not wait for Sheamus and Devitt to cross paths. I imagine a feud between the two could be great. Be fantastic to see two of our own stealing the show on Raw or PPV with a five star match.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

i like the idea of linking with mcgregor but it wood probably have to be as a WM guest. is he as well know as loved in the states as he is here. we all love CMcG but would the WWE not be afraid of people turning over to UFC seen as McG is hot property?

I'm not trying to be smart be we definitely do not all love McGregor. I get that he is popular and wish him luck but I just can't warm to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anyone think Sheamus will get back in the title picture? The guy is a great grappler but at nearly 37 you'd wonder are they going to push him into the main scene again.

I thought they should have gone with the vd WWE12 UK Barrett sheam and Drew faction.They would have got over big time as heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,934 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Anyone think Sheamus will get back in the title picture? The guy is a great grappler but at nearly 37 you'd wonder are they going to push him into the main scene again.

I thought they should have gone with the vd WWE12 UK Barrett sheam and Drew faction.They would have got over big time as heels.

I think he's just seen as a great worker who brings up the quality of any PPV rather than a potential star at this stage.

The sort of guy who there will almost certainly always be a job for as long as he is physically able.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Only if they get a LOT of injuries. He'll get the odd filler title match (elimination chamber etc) but I don't see him ever being the top guy again. His age doesn't come into it either, their are just far better options right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

It is just a case that he is old news and not eveyone can be a main eventer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Wish they could do a Bradshaw JBL thing with him and give him a complete character shift....in saying that I wish they did that with a few people. The type of matches Shemo has are always enjoyable hard hitting stuff, just wish he was used more appropriately.

although confident in MIC I really wouldn't have him bear it at all, his promos come across as way to forced. Just have him go out and be a man with an agenda ( Mark Henry Hall of Pain) as opposed to his chicken ****e heel persona.

He deserves more and deserves to be in the main event consistently as he never fails to deliver in the ring IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Not sure if McGregor is a big enough name yet, plus WWE don’t seem overly interested in bringing in UFC stars for just appearances, has there been any?

I am surprised more MMA fighters have not ended up in WWE as actual wrestlers, don’t think there has been any since Shamrock, Severn and obviously the returning Lesnar.

Plus, Sheamus will never be a big enough name for Lesnar in my view

D-FENS wrote: »
    Not sure if McGregor is a big enough name yet, plus WWE don’t seem overly interested in bringing in UFC stars for just appearances, has there been any?

I am surprised more MMA fighters have not ended up in WWE as actual wrestlers, don’t think there has been any since Shamrock, Severn and obviously the returning Lesnar.

Plus, Sheamus will never be a big enough name for Lesnar in my view

Isn't the whole point of bringing Lesnar/part times back to get wrestlers over two wrestlers who could hold there own and get a rub off Lesnar are Sheamus and Cesaro from the upper midcard. The rub off Lesnar could send then to the moon if done right. Daniel Bryan/Roman Reigns are the most likey to get the run with Lesnar though depending on recovery times.

The done right part is the most important thing if it turns out to be Cena or even The Rock who beats Lesnar in the end well then bringing Lesnar back would have been a huge waste of time and money I believe.

The Rock vs Lesnar may draw huge at a Wrestlemania but for the long term it would be a waste.

Isn't the whole point of bringing Lesnar/part times back to get wrestlers over two wrestlers who could hold there own and get a rub off Lesnar are Sheamus and Cesaro from the upper midcard. The rub off Lesnar could send then to the moon if done right. Daniel Bryan/Roman Reigns are the most likey to get the run with Lesnar though depending on recovery times.

The done right part is the most important thing if it turns out to be Cena or even The Rock who beats Lesnar in the end well then bringing Lesnar back would have been a huge waste of time and money I believe.

The Rock vs Lesnar may draw huge at a Wrestlemania but for the long term it would be a waste.
    PPV sales (now via the medium of the network) are likely the key reason for Brock's continued presence, the notion that it's all going to end with someone else currently relatively insignificant becoming significant because of it is merely a possibility rather than a probability.

Take the Rock's returns for example. There because he is a megastar who will sell ridiculously, rather than because Cena needed the rub.

I agree, the best possible outcome from WWE’s point of view is for Lesnar to put one or two promising stars over for the future.
    Cesaro for sure, Bryan possibly wouldn’t need it, or at least didn’t before being off TV for so long, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt. Same for Wyatt or any of the Shield.

But all these guys would be able to build from a program with Brock in my view. Sorry, but Sheamus could not.

I’m not a hater, I was proud of the fact that a guy who grow up so close to me achieved what he has and I want to see him in WWE but I honestly don’t think he could reward the WWE, with a Lesnar program, by improving enough afterwards and running with it to bigger and better things.

He is competent in the ring, has a decent move set for a big man but he is still very rigid and there are so many better than him and even better brawlers, if that’s his great “specialty”

He is not shy on the mic, but any charisma he has is again victim to the PG audience in mind and comes across just as 80’s face cheese, worse than Cena at times.

The gimmick is awful, I’m sure it has more of a novelty for yanks than us, but even still he should be in ‘91/92 wrestling the Berserker or the Barbarian. I know the gimmick decision isn’t down to him, but I’d take him a lot more seriously if it was more modern and relevant, I just don’t know what that could be in the modern era. I know Devitt’s new name hints that they will be tapping into Irish history/culture too for his gimmick, I just have a good feeling it will be with a lot more style.

But the reality is, you put over Cesaro, he fails on his push again, you've just wasted a massive box office draw in Lesnar. Where's the sense?

If Cesaro is to make himself a star he needs to get himself over as a face or a heel the way other guys have. Most of WWE's attempts to do this in organically have failed miserably.

CSF wrote: »
    But the reality is, you put over Cesaro, he fails on his push again, you've just wasted a massive box office draw in Lesnar. Where's the sense?

If Cesaro is to make himself a star he needs to get himself over as a face or a heel the way other guys have. Most of WWE's attempts to do this in organically have failed miserably.

Sure, no guarantees as far as who the fans will take to, same way having an up and comer end the streak would have been a massive gamble, I just think Cesaro would stand more of a chance than Sheamus.
    And I think WWE pulled the plug on his push this year, rather than it failing.

Sure, no guarantees as far as who the fans will take to, same way having an up and comer end the streak would have been a massive gamble, I just think Cesaro would stand more of a chance than Sheamus.
    And I think WWE pulled the plug on his push this year, rather than it failing.
    My point is, winning a match vs Lesnar should be the transition from Raw main eventer/opener to superstar, similar to what Ambrose is going through now and Bryan arguably did at Summerslam last year, rather than elevating some massive risk midcard guy into the big leagues.

If Cesaro is going to reach that level, a lot of it is going to have to be on his own bat. Yes, he was getting over around Mania time, yes the Heyman run harmed him, but people don't seem to have missed him too much.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    My point is, winning a match vs Lesnar should be the transition from Raw main eventer/opener to superstar, similar to what Ambrose is going through now and Bryan arguably did at Summerslam last year, rather than elevating some massive risk midcard guy into the big leagues.

If Cesaro is going to reach that level, a lot of it is going to have to be on his own bat. Yes, he was getting over around Mania time, yes the Heyman run harmed him, but people don't seem to have missed him too much.

Agreed, that was my original point regarding Sheamus, who I know is a former world champ/main eventer, but is not that any longer.

And I also agree that only certain people are big enough or promising enough to challenge and beat Lesnar, I don’t think it will be anyone outside of Cena, Bryan, Reigns or Ambrose.

Cesaro certainly is not there yet, in his present status, but he could be quite easily I think.

And, is anyone really missed, since the days of Austin / full time Rock? Cena maybe, but more for the glaring differences in opportunities for other stars while he is out. And chants aside, Punk and Bryan are not missed half as much as people would have thought, nor Reigns. WWE owe a lot to Ambrose at the moment for carrying the can big time I think.

Agreed, that was my original point regarding Sheamus, who I know is a former world champ/main eventer, but is not that any longer.

And I also agree that only certain people are big enough or promising enough to challenge and beat Lesnar, I don’t think it will be anyone outside of Cena, Bryan, Reigns or Ambrose.

Cesaro certainly is not there yet, in his present status, but he could be quite easily I think.

And, is anyone really missed, since the days of Austin / full time Rock? Cena maybe, but more for the glaring differences in opportunities for other stars while he is out. And chants aside, Punk and Bryan are not missed half as much as people would have thought, nor Reigns. WWE owe a lot to Ambrose at the moment for carrying the can big time I think.
    I think Daniel Bryan is missed by most WWE fans. That isn't to be considered as synonymous with irreplaceable either though.

This news really bummed me:

https://twitter.com/WWESheamus/status/535464740269883393

Night in, night out the hardest hitting Wrestler on the WWE roster but he seems to come a cropper when weapons/outside objects come into play. Maybe this was an accumulative injury ask him but he took a NASTY table bump on Raw.

Don't sleep on the last hashtag tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

So he is legitimately injured then? I just thought that they decided to cut him in favour of Erick Rowan. I wonder will he get that Royal Rumble pop for the 2nd consecutive year now. It's kind of worrying, because they could lose faith in him for the next while, á la what happened with Dolph Ziggler in 2012 when he got the concussion. I know that he hasn't been a World champion since 2012, but he was in a solid enough position this year I thought.

So he is legitimately injured then? I just thought that they decided to cut him in favour of Erick Rowan. I wonder will he get that Royal Rumble pop for the 2nd consecutive year now. It's kind of worrying, because they could lose faith in him for the next while, á la what happened with Dolph Ziggler in 2012 when he got the concussion. I know that he hasn't been a World champion since 2012, but he was in a solid enough position this year I thought.

Waiting on the "real" word on Sheamus. Mike Johnson wrote this:
    While we were told that the Sheamus injuries on Raw were storyline, it does appear he is undergoing some sort of surgical procedure today as he's posted a photo on his Instagram showing himself going into surgery.

There's no word on what the issue is as of this writing, but it appears his storyline injury was created to cover him being out of action.

As I posted in the News thread Michael Cole gave a heavily descriptive account of Sheamus's injury on Main Event. He mentioned spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spine) which is truly worrying as that what ended Austin's, Edge's etc career.

I hope the Kim Kardashian joke is an indication of something less serious. Sheamus adds a lot in ring, LOVES being a wrestler to a child like degree and a great ambassador for the company.

Losing Sheamus forever how long is going to hurt the WWE.. His role outside the ring as an ambassador for the WWE wasa huge part of his role the guy is likeable and part of the reason I believe they never returned him heel.

To go along with Bryan being out so long Punk being gone AJ maybe on her way out.

These all wrestlers who have a true passion for the business and that passion came across on tv screens.

Get well soon FELLA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Sad news, hopefully not too serious. Already mentioned, a great representative for the company inside and outside of the ring. I can't see the WWE ever losing faith in him, would be a foolish decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Really hope it's not too serious! Would LOVE to see him get another run with the title! Actually Sheamus vs. Brock would be great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Bubba you read my mind. I like Brock as well, so I wouldn't mind even seeing Sheamus vs. Harper.

• Advertisement

Book the Aviva. Sheamus probably off his head on painkillers playfully beefing with McGregor

https://twitter.com/WWESheamus/status/535896886063136769

Advertisement