Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now is the worst time ever to buy an Android phone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TeaServer

cormie wrote: »
    I don't see how it would make a difference really, I mean even if I trimmed the contacts who I have a few numbers for into the one entry, I'd still have over 2,000 contacts anyway.

Had just deleted a message from someone and got a new message off someone else, when I opened up the new message, the title of the thread was the other person :(

cormie,

It seems you are not alone! I have/had a similar problem on a Desire on CM7. In my case I sometimes have 2 threads showing for the same contact and hitting reply in one thread and the reply shows up in another thread. After some investigation I believe the issue is related to the SMS DB on the phone. I think it stores a contact id for each new number you receive an SMS from. That works fine until you get/send and SMS with/without the country code. This seems to throw the DB off and it thinks its a new contact.

It could also be related to the fact that I imported a lot of old SMS to the phone originally, and maybe multiple contact ids for the same person were created. I also use cabbage text app sometimes, which possibly does not help matters either.

Seeing as you appear to delete all your SMS's as you reply to them, it might be worth swapping your SMS DB on the phone for a 'new'/empty SMS DB, or if you are a bit more confident, actually checking the SMS DB contact ids and cleaning it up a bit.

As my problem tends to just be multiple threads for the same contact, I tend to put up with it, but you might be motivated to repair your problem as its actually sending SMS to different people!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I wouldn't know too much about phones, but I was considering getting an Android phone cheap enough, was looking at HTC Explorer/Wildfire S or Samsung Galaxy Ace, do you reckon these phones would be a bit cheaper in a month or two? Or even if better phones would be available for around the €150-€200 mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

I wouldn't know too much about phones, but I was considering getting an Android phone cheap enough, was looking at HTC Explorer/Wildfire S or Samsung Galaxy Ace, do you reckon these phones would be a bit cheaper in a month or two? Or even if better phones would be available for around the €150-€200 mark?

only htc explorer will be, others have already been dropped 50-70 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

my contract is up in May and I am looking at both the HTC One X and the SGS 3 as a replacement
    there is a comparison chart here, do you know if it is accurate at this stage or is a case of wait till they both come out?
    http://www.androidphonesarena.com/htc-one-x-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Skerries wrote: »
    my contract is up in May and I am looking at both the HTC One X and the SGS 3 as a replacement
    there is a comparison chart here, do you know if it is accurate at this stage or is a case of wait till they both come out?
    http://www.androidphonesarena.com/htc-one-x-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3.php

Almost all details of the SGS 3 are based on rumour so that chart is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Phone development has come to a point where I just don't see the need to update my phone anymore.

I've a Galaxy SII and with the ICS upgrade it is simply the perfect phone. It does everything I want it to, and does it well. It's fast and responsive. The screen is beautiful. It's slim and light. And I get a full days use out of it (all I need). I honestly can't see a reason to upgrade, even to the Galaxy SIII. Quad-core smartphones? The dual-core ones are lightning fast so I can't see why anyone would see the need for them.

As a tech head I would normally always buy the flagship highend phone every year or so. But now? My SGS2 does everything and I love it, so I honestly see no need. I can only see myself upgrading if I get bored of it and want a change. I'll see what Apple come up with for iPhone 5 but beyond that, I'm a happy camper :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Elessar wrote: »
    Phone development has come to a point where I just don't see the need to update my phone anymore.

I've a Galaxy SII and with the ICS upgrade it is simply the perfect phone. It does everything I want it to, and does it well. It's fast and responsive. The screen is beautiful. It's slim and light. And I get a full days use out of it (all I need). I honestly can't see a reason to upgrade, even to the Galaxy SIII. Quad-core smartphones? The dual-core ones are lightning fast so I can't see why anyone would see the need for them.

As a tech head I would normally always buy the flagship highend phone every year or so. But now? My SGS2 does everything and I love it, so I honestly see no need. I can only see myself upgrading if I get bored of it and want a change. I'll see what Apple come up with for iPhone 5 but beyond that, I'm a happy camper :D

Hold on, The Galaxy S2 isn't a last gen phone yet, before your contract is up you'll be itching to change, mark my words. I've a Galaxy S and am nearing the end of my 18month contract and getting twitchy. I'm gonna wait on the S3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Well I'm not going to upgrade tbh, Sgs2 is like a portable mini computer/tablet, perfect for general net browsing, watching vids or music listening.

I managed to oveclock the CPU to 1.5 GHz so the device is lighting fast, very smooth and worth every single cent in my opinion.

The only single complaint I would have is the SGS2 battery, when I'm using wifi it lasts about 6 hours tops so if this issue will be addressed in SGS3 then I might be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

bandit197 wrote: »
    My upgrade is due in two weeks, I go on a monthly rolling contract after that.

I'll have to avoid phone shops for a couple of months until the Galaxy S III is revealed or Ill be home with the HTC One X. Not saying that's a bad thing, looks to be a great phone but need to see what Samsung come up with first.

Sure by going on a monthly rolling contract you cant get a phone because its a sim only package. You sign an upgrade then your tied in to your current plan for like 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Jarren wrote: »
    Well I'm not going to upgrade tbh, Sgs2 is like a portable mini computer/tablet, perfect for general net browsing, watching vids or music listening.

I managed to oveclock the CPU to 1.5 GHz so the device is lighting fast, very smooth and worth every single cent in my opinion.

The only single complaint I would have is the SGS2 battery, when I'm using wifi it lasts about 6 hours tops so if this issue will be addressed in SGS3 then I might be tempted.

Doesnt overclocking of the cpu not reduce the life expectancy of the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

It does affect battery tbh, not sure about CPU life expectancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

For those with a Desire, I flashed MildWild ROM and haven't looked back. I'd highly recommend it. no problems with texts on any messaging app.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What's the story with ICS on the original desire? Is it compatible and is the desire capable of running it ok?

Apparently Qualcomm have open sourced their kernel software, or something like that, recently. I'm not sure but I think the Desire is a Qualcomm based phone, which will mean the modding community will be able to enable pproper hardware acceleration, meaning a decent version of ICS might become available sooner rather than later.
    Tea Saver, thanks for the post, how would I go about deleting the SMS db? I don't want to flash a new rom if I'm still going to have the problem. The annoying thing I haven't seen anyone report the EXACT same problems as I have with the texting so anyone that says they have no problems after flashing to X, may have fixed any issues they had, but may not fix the issue I'm having :(

Best I can say is a friend of mine had the same problem on his HTC Wildfire. He wasnt one for modding so just replaced hos phone. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Mr E wrote: »
    If you can wait a month (HTC) or two (Samsung), you can get a next generation phone, rather than regret it by buying now.

The other side of the argument is you can get a galaxy sII for free with a €30 pm contract. How much will a galaxy s 3 cost on the same contract? €200?
    And as Elessar said, the galaxy s 2 does absolutely everything most people could want, is it really worth the extra €200?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

these kind of things scare me, any risk to carrying that out? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The other side of the argument is you can get a galaxy sII for free with a €30 pm contract. How much will a galaxy s 3 cost on the same contract? €200?
    And as Elessar said, the galaxy s 2 does absolutely everything most people could want, is it really worth the extra €200?

Like I said before, it's not now you'll be sorry, but before your contract is up you'll wish you waited

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Paparazzo wrote: »

I've a bit of a worry of going on a contract as I plan to travel within the next 6 - 18 months so I don't want to be stuck to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I agree with that article in so far as the last few months tbh. Other than the Galaxy Nexus, there was no top end phones ofreal interest coming to market. There has been hype about the S3 for literally 6 months at this stage, so its fair to say that that will be the benchmark android of 2012. In that respect, its worth seeing what that brings, and what the competitors come up with. I was a bit disappointed with the One X tbh, form a hardware PoV.. I 'll reserve judgement until I actually play with one though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Its never a good time to buy an Android phone. Its the wild jungle. Some one will have a new phone or better specs the day you buy yours ;)
    indeed, and not because of any advancement in technology but simply because its next to impossible to actually know whats available. HTC and Samsung have so many models with similar sounding names that only someone in the industry can keep track of the variety.

If the pair of them calmed the jets and released less phones with less bugs (and guaranteed updates for them in a reasonable timeframe) the android proposition would be much more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Its never a good time to buy an Android phone. Its the wild jungle. Some one will have a new phone or better specs the day you buy yours ;)
    indeed, and not because of any advancement in technology but simply because its next to impossible to actually know whats available. HTC and Samsung have so many models with similar sounding names that only someone in the industry can keep track of the variety.

If the pair of them calmed the jets and released less phones with less bugs (and guaranteed updates for them in a reasonable timeframe) the android proposition would be much more attractive.
    I don't think that's right in the case of Samsung, looking at the model number clearly tells you its position in the line up. Last years HTC range was bizarre, I'll give you that! The new one series makes it easy now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I put off getting my upgrade for a couple of months because I was waiting to see what would get released. To be honest, I wasn't expecting the HTC One X to get released on Three Ireland for a while, if at all, so ended up going for a Galaxy S2. Three weeks later and I guess I do partly wish I'd waited and ended up with the phone I really wanted but the S2 does everything I need/want and if you keep waiting for the next thing to come out then you'll never get anything.

I waited months for Three to release the HTC Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I upgraded to the HTC Sensation XE in December and even though I love the phone to bits I'm still kinda pissed that I missed out on the HTC One X so that article rings true to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

i'm not over-excited by any of the new phones, most of them have monster screens, which I'm not really into. meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I'll be getting whatever is the best available when my contract is up tbh.
    Need new shiny fast big slim etc etc phone

Will make my money back on the sgs2 (139 plus 12 x 25) or close enough so no point not upgrading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

manual_man wrote: »
    i'm not over-excited by any of the new phones, most of them have monster screens, which I'm not really into. meh

They've thankfully now gotten as big as they're going to get. 4.7-4.8in is really pushing it.

I think there's space in the market for high end 3.7-4in handsets. Unfortunately manufacturers seem to have decided that phones of this size belong in the low-mid range category.

I've been out of contract on my original SGS for 6mths now & am only now feeling the need to upgrade. I'm going to wait until the SGS 3 is unveiled to make my decision on what my next handset should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Simi wrote: »
    manual_man wrote: »

They've thankfully now gotten as big as they're going to get. 4.7-4.8in is really pushing it.

I think there's space in the market for high end 3.7-4in handsets. Unfortunately manufacturers seem to have decided that phones of this size belong in the low-mid range category.

I've been out of contract on my original SGS for 6mths now & am only now feeling the need to upgrade. I'm going to wait until the SGS 3 is unveiled to make my decision on what my next handset should be.

yeah. it just surprises me that given the biggest selling phone of all time (the iPhone) is 3.5" they feel the need to go so much bigger. I guess maybe they're trying to compensate for something :p but hopefully as time goes on more better-spec'd phones will come out in the 3-4" range, anything more than that is overdoing it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I agree about the size of the phones. I have finally given up on the SGS2 after 9 months of use. The screen is too big and the phone is far too thin to hold comfortably. I have gone back to using the HTC Desire, ideal size and thick enough to grip without it slipping out of my hands all the time. Perfect form factor and no need at all to go bigger than this for a phone. If you need a bigger screen, get a table, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I agree about the size of the phones. I have finally given up on the SGS2 after 9 months of use. The screen is too big and the phone is far too thin to hold comfortably. I have gone back to using the HTC Desire, ideal size and thick enough to grip without it slipping out of my hands all the time. Perfect form factor and no need at all to go bigger than this for a phone. If you need a bigger screen, get a table, end of.

Funny you should say that. I replaced my desire with an S2 june last year and have absolutely loved it. Earlier this week i picked up a desire for the wife and mother of god they're a nice phone. It feels so nice in the hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I'm the opposite, held a tiny little desire again recently and it felt freakishly small. I'd happily go bigger than the s2. Never would have thought it a few years back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You are very much the exception I think. What height are you? SGS2 is perfect size imo, no way I could go back to using a midget phone.

Advertisement