Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fruit and Veg in fridge?

Options
  • 17-07-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

What fruit and veg (if any) do you keep in the fridge? Iv noticed that they last a lot longer in the fridge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I keep most of mine there - i think the only things i dont keep there are bananas (my boyfriend eats them not me - but its better for them to ripen) and kiwis.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Parchment wrote: »
    I keep most of mine there - i think the only things i dont keep there are bananas (my boyfriend eats them not me - but its better for them to ripen) and kiwis.

Pears are another fruit which has to be left to ripen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I keep all veg I use in the fridge.

Peppers, berries and oranges/lemons/limes/grapefruit (citrus fruits I suppose...) in fridge as well.

Keep fruit and vegetables separate so there's no risk of anything causing the rest to ripen too soon.

Don't pack all the veg together too tightly either.

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Pears are another fruit which has to be left to ripen!!

I dont like them juicy...!

Also i keep my tomatoes in my fruit bowl alone with my avocados!

Parchment wrote: »

Bananas are best kept clear of everything else so they don't make them ripen too quickly cos they release ethylene as they ripen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Only keep berries in the fridge (out of fruit), and all veg, though I hear potatoes and onions last longer if not stored in there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Only buy fruit & veg that you intend using in the next 2 days, problem solved.

ch750536 wrote: »

If only I had the time to go grocery shopping every two days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ch750536 wrote: »

That can be expensive, esp. if only buying for 1 or 2 people. Though some veg sold separate can be cheap, its odd how it can vary so much.
    though I hear potatoes and onions last longer if not stored in there.
    I have only recently kept onions in the fridge and its working well. I would buy big nets and often one would go off and then contaminate any touching it.

The recent warm weather was not helping matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Fridge: Lettuce, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes (I take them out in the morning to use that day though) and berries. Also scallions, chives, herbs.
    Celery, cabbage, broccoli, etc.

Keep in dark but not fridge : potatoes, carrots, turnips, onions, shallots and garlic.

Kept in a basket : most fruit... Just keep them separated.

• Advertisement

Keep potatoes and onions away from each other as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Does this apply to sweet potatoes?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Does this apply to sweet potatoes?

Yes. It's more to do with the onions but it ends up having a detrimental effect on both. Just shortens their lifespan.

Edit: actually sweet potatoes woould be more sensitive to the ethylene from the onions than common-or-garden potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Why? I keep mine in a basket together.

Edit-just seen your post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I mainly keep salad and berries in the fridge.
    Fruit, apples, oranges, pears, bananas are what I eat and I have them in a fruit bowl on the counter.

Berries, rasberries, strawberries and grapes I keep in the fridge.

Salad - lettuce, scallions, cucumber, tomatoes I keep in the other drawer in the fridge.

I keep potatoes, carrots and onions in a basket in the utility room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I keep all of my veg in the fridge, excluding tomatoes. I usually buy 7.5 kg of potatoes that would last us 2-3 weeks. The last bag I bought I left out of the fridge and because it's been so hot, they had sprouted and gone soft within a week. Fine for boiling etc, but no good for baked.
    Would never really of thought of putting fruit in there. Although if Aldi have fruit that I love on the super 6 deal; oranges, cherries, plums. I buy a heap of them and freeze them to use in smoothies.
    I do the same with peppers, red onions, courgettes too if I'm not going to get around to cooking them within a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I mainly keep salad veg in the bottom drawer of the fridge, lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions, peppers, cucumber, carrots. Potatoes, onions and shallots I keep cool under the stairs in one of those plastic drawer units also apples and bananas, all in separate drawers. However, I hate peeling potatoes so I peel twice as much as I need and keep the extra in a bowl of cold water in the fridge for the next day, but no longer than two days, it just saves a little time if I get in a bit late to prepare the family dinner. I try to take the tomatoes out of the fridge to get to room temperature before making a salad, I feel the fridge makes them tasteless. But each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I keep all veg I use in the fridge.

Peppers, berries and oranges/lemons/limes/grapefruit (citrus fruits I suppose...) in fridge as well.

Not everything benefits from being kept in the fridge, it can adversely affect the shelf-life/texture of some foods. Also, some things should be kept in plastic/wrapped in the fridge while other things should be left loose.

Eh, I did want to post an infographic that I've found really useful but it won't let me cause I've fewer than 50 posts :( I'll add it as soon as I can.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Not everything benefits from being kept in the fridge, it can adversely affect the shelf-life/texture of some foods. Also, some things should be kept in plastic/wrapped in the fridge while other things should be left loose.

Eh, I did want to post an infographic that I've found really useful but it won't let me cause I've fewer than 50 posts :( I'll add it as soon as I can.

I know but of the veg I use, the majority do.

Ideally, I wouldn't keep the onions there but we get through so many of them, it's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Here we go, might come in handy for others.

graphic_fruitandveggiestorage.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement