Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unmotivated for weight loss

• 11-07-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I hope by posting this people aren't going to say walk, eat healthy etc I know this I understand how to eat healthy...exercise daily.. I just wanted to know im not alone!

I am 25 years old, ive been over weight since I can remember. The only time in my life when I remember being remotely healthy was when something happened in my life that caused me to loose weight in a very unhealthy way. I starved myself for 6 months and shed 6/7 stone. I made it down to 12 stone and hit a brick wall. I had habbits of binge eating Bd slowly within a year I had put the weight back on. Since then ive spiarled out of control. Ive done weight watchers, slimming world, slim fast and none work for me. I just need to know im not alone on this I want to and willing to but life tends to get in the way and food has become a comfort for me. Anybody else feel same/similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I am really not being smart but whether or not someone replies here to say they're in the same boat..what do you want people to tell you?

The only way to lose weight IS to eat healthily and exercise.
    There's no magic pill.

I'm not trying to be smart but I don't understand what you want people to tell you, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Duffy89

Hi headlesscloud. I know how you feel. I turn 25 soon and I have been overweight for the last 10 years beside a brief period where I managed to lose weight through Weight Watchers. Like you I don't need people to tell me how to lose weight and I know everything there is to know about nutrition.

For me the problem wasn't a lack of motivators but partly laziness and lack of energy. Tiredness, stress and a lack of confidence in my social life have been huge triggers for me. Over the last few weeks I have been slowly getting my head in the right headspace. I think I have just got sick of eating crap and feeling like this. I am planning on rejoining Weight Watchers again tomorrow. I know some people on here don't like the idea of it, but for me I like the weekly structure.

My problem in the last few months has been trying to change everything at once. I want to lose the weight, be fit, have the perfect body and eat cleanly. Realistically I need to take it slowly on one thing at a time. So for now I am just going to rejoin the meetings and try and get some consistency going with weight loss and do some exercise as well. Then I will look at really cutting down junk food and processed food while also looking at my exercise regime. Mostly I am just going to take it slowly and not expect overnight miracles.

I don't know if this is of any help to you but you aren't the only one who feels like this. It will happen. You just have to start each day trying and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Agree with both responses. Losing weight is hard, it requires determination, self motivation (this is where WW can help) focus, goals AND your head in the right place. If you cant do that, you might as well not bother.

It also requires an honest but blunt look at yourself, your willpower, and whether you are an achiever or not.

By saying, I dont want to be fat BUT I cant be bothered or motivated to do anything about it, you are setting yourself up for a fail before you even start.

"Life gets in the way"? That's just a cop out. Going to the gym gets in the way of going to the pub for me, but I go to the gym. When I have a crap day in work or something else happens , I have the inclination to reach out for a pizza and a bottle of wine for comfort. If I do this, I will end up FAT, so I skip it. What do you want more, to be slim or to eat a load of crap and bitch that you want to be slim.

Dont worry about some people disrespecting weightwatchers, slimming world etc. While not ideal from a health point of view, they do work when followed correctly (and they are hard and require focus) and if this is your way to get there, then so be it. Who cares anyway what other people think? You are only responsible for yourself.

Like anything in life, the only way to get there is to have your strategy, set your goals and follow it.

The first one though and Im not being smart, is STOP MAKING EXCUSES

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The problem is not your body it is your mind. Being overweight is never about just weight it is about confidence, self esteem, and liking yourself. When you are not happy, food is a fallback. To attempt to lose weight and fail just makes the whole thing harder.

You need support to change your mindset and attitide towards food. Preferably a group that helps with where your head is at, (like Overeaters Anonymous) as well as the basics of what you eat.

As with all things you need to overcome it has to be done one day at a time. A vague aim of wanting to be thin will not work. A concrete but achievable aim of doing x thing by y date will motivate you better. And when you achieve that, plot a new goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Im by no means an expert but I can tell you this:
    Yes loosing weight can be hard, Yes finding time and will to start exercising can be hard.
    But look at it this way - if so many people can do it you can do it too and it is SO SO SO WORTH IT.

Once you do this you will never ever look back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ive done weight watchers, slimming would, slim fast and none work for me.

Have you ever looked at why they didn't work for you? If you don't know why they haven't worked, you won't know how to tackle the issue.

Plenty of people have been in the same boat. And every time you decide to tackle it, you'll look at how far you are from where you want to be. But, as Oryx said, take each step at a time and only think of the step at a time, whether that's every week, day or meal.

But, like I said at the start, you need to know why everything else has failed until now, whether that's on you own or with the ear of a CBT, and then take it from there.

Andelet the good people of this forum help you either through their stories, successes, struggles and victories or through their advice. There's a lot of knowledgeable posters who are only too happy to help.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

View it as a long term project. I've been slowly loosing weight for 1.5 years after yo yo dieting for years. I took one habit at a time and worked on it for several months until it became second nature. I now eat breakfast. I rarely eat takeaway. I mostly drink water rather than soda. I'm still not great on lunch/dinner but I'm getting there. I don't weigh in. I don't stress about clothes size , just concentrate on that one thing at a time. It's far slower than ww or slimming world etc but it's much easier to make one habit and keep it than change everything at once and fail.

I'm down two trouser sizes which is slower than if I'd done ww for a year but last time I did ww for 2 years and rebounded to way above my starting weight. This time I'm far more confident that because I haven't been restricting/obsessed and have concentrated on habits that I won't rebound because it has never felt like I was dieting in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I notice a lot of people (women particularly) do a diet fad without the requisite exercise.

I guarantee you if you start an exercise program and STICK TO IT eat fruit instead of each time you want a snack instead of chocolate you will lose weight! You will notice major differences in 3 months.

People seem to love codding themselves saying "oh I am on a diet" this on its own is not enough. It is as if people think they deserve a medal for saying it.
    It just turns into a conversation piece while they talk about the need to lose wieght while eating cakes and biscuits!

You could buy an exercise bike and cycle intensively while watching your favorite soap or whatever.

Alternatively find someone that wants to lose weight too and train with them. The two of you might motivate each other.
    Joining a gym is always a good option for this at least they could set you on the right track. If you don't like the gym you can swim or cycle outside.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I notice a lot of people (women particularly) do a diet fad without the requisite exercise.

I guarantee you if you start an exercise program and STICK TO IT eat fruit instead of each time you want a snack instead of chocolate you will lose weight! You will notice major differences in 3 months.

People seem to love codding themselves saying "oh I am on a diet" this on its own is not enough. It is as if people think they deserve a medal for saying it.
    It just turns into a conversation piece while they talk about the need to lose wieght while eating cakes and biscuits!

You could buy an exercise bike and cycle intensively while watching your favorite soap or whatever.

Alternatively find someone that wants to lose weight too and train with them. The two of you might motivate each other.
    Joining a gym is always a good option for this at least they could set you on the right track. If you don't like the gym you can swim or cycle outside.

Nailing food is a lot more important. Exercise will play a role undoubtedly...but walk before you run and all that.

Nailing food is a lot more important. Exercise will play a role undoubtedly...but walk before you run and all that.

I think this is exactly the trap people fall into.
    Food is not more important then exercise BOTH are equally important.

Put simply if you burn up more then you put in you will lose weight. But eating the right food is important for nutrition and energy.

It's not that hard to a bit of training seriously! I have seen completely blind people train, people in wheelchairs and people missing limbs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 headlesscloud

Thanks for the posts! Im not here to wine about anything I mean psychologically I dont have the motivation! I have started to diet , myself and my partner are trying to change our lifestyles thankfully neither of us smoke or drink so it is just food and exercise. I just feel bleek about the outcome thats the message I was trying to relay! The people who have posted on those seem to understand or been in similar situations so any advice to help the outcome? Good exercise for buring fat that any of ye have tried?

I think this is exactly the trap people fall into.
    Food is not more important then exercise BOTH are equally important.

Improving your body composition or losing weight is roughly 80% nutrition. Not 50%.

I just feel bleek about the outcome thats the message I was trying to relay! The people who have posted on those seem to understand or been in similar situations so any advice to help the outcome? Good exercise for buring fat that any of ye have tried?

It's only ever bleak if you focus on the finish line.

Focus on each day and getting that right. Before you know it, you'll have gone a week.

The only exercise I'd recommend is one you like. If you don't really enjoy something you won't keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Duffy89

Thanks for the posts! Im not here to wine about anything I mean psychologically I dont have the motivation! I have started to diet , myself and my partner are trying to change our lifestyles thankfully neither of us smoke or drink so it is just food and exercise. I just feel bleek about the outcome thats the message I was trying to relay! The people who have posted on those seem to understand or been in similar situations so any advice to help the outcome? Good exercise for buring fat that any of ye have tried?

Don't focus on the end goal. Like Alf said take it a day at a time. If you want to focus on the scales, set out mini targets such as half stone, a stone, new stone bracket, new dress size etc. As for exercise if you're not used to exercising then keep it simple and build it up. Start by going for 3/4 walks a week. Do 30 minutes and then build it up. Try out classes if you can afford them. My friends swear by spin classes but I personally hate them. I'm saving up so I can start dance classes. Its a new hobby while also getting the heart rate up. You should stop focusing on your weight and look at the bigger picture which is a healthy lifestyle.

I also second what was said about looking at why Weight Watchers etc failed for you before. For me it was lack of proper nutritional information and abusing the points system. I used to eat junk instead of proper meals but as I was within points it was ok. Now I eat healthy including things like avocados which are high in points. I plan my meals for the week and if I have points left I use them for treats. Its about finding a balance between eating healthy and still allow yourself the things you enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sorry and I dont need to be harsh but you really need to change your mindset before you go any further.

You are swamping yourself with negativity.

Why would the outcome be bleak?

You have recognised you have a problem, are caught in a cycle and want to break that cycle? You want to get out of the rut. So, what's bleak about that? Visualise yourself getting lighter, fitter, happier in yourself. See it as a positive instead of a negative.

Agree re small goals. I lost in half stones, when a half stone was gone, it was like I was starting again and had a half stone to lose. and so on. It meant I was only working with 7 pounds at any time, so I would say five left, etc, till I got to zero and closed that batch. And then started again with a new weight and 7lb to lose.

Good luck with it. Youve got some great advice here and people are behind you. make sure YOU are behind you. Be good to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you have to teach yourself how to lose weight - its a big undertaking.

Shopping right - educating yourself on food labels
    Cooking healthy
    Eating out healthy
    preparing food in advance for a few days
    measure calories
    smaller portions

then adding in exercise routines

Why not try to introduce one thing at a time?
    Or if that is too much of a step why not try and achieve something else to improve your self confidence? Eg do an evening class that has a qualification eg beginners Spanish, or beginners cooking.

Just a suggestion

A lot of people fail with losing weight as they are not able to structure their lives and are not used to achieving success and give up very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I think you need to focus on why you want to lose weight and what you will gain by doing so. I would also suggest you seek some help with self esteem and confidence, could you talk to your GP and see if they can help arrange someone for you to talk to. If you have been over weight since childhood you will need help to change your mind set and lose this weight for good. Regarding exercise try everything until you find one you like, one that lifts your mood and de stresses you and commit to it. Make small changes in your diet and focus getting your head straight. The best of luck, you are young make the decision to live your life to full. Get some support behind you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I'd forget about losing weight to be honest and concentrate on making changes to your lifestyle. I weighed nearly 18st in Jan, never done any serious type of exercise in over 30 years.

Focused on walking about 3 or 4 times a week, cut out suger, eat a health breafast, lunch and dinner, try not to eat anything after 6pm. I was in an operation transformation class for the first 10 weeks but haven't weighed since that finished. I worried id revert back to old habits once that was over so then concentrated on running.

I now run 3 x 5k a week so the moral of my story is forget the scales, concentrate on small lifestyle changes, introduce some exercise into your life and weight loss will follow.

Think I've lost around 3st but couldn't be too sure.

Best of luck with your journey.

Improving your body composition or losing weight is roughly 80% nutrition. Not 50%.

See this is the type of thing that annoys me, That is getting into semantics. The fact is people prefer dieting over exercise because exercise is hard work.
    The dieting motivation companies come up with phrases like "Its not what you eat its why you eat!" To me that is a cop out what about the nike slogan "Just do it!" :)

Oh I get you now. You have to set your self a goal and break it up into sections day by day, week by week, and month by month.
    Treat it like you would painting a house you go room by room gradually or when a child is learning words they break it up into smaller sections. It is the same principle.
    Any Cardiovascular Exercise will help you burn fat.
    http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/14083/1/List-of-Cardiovascular-Exercises.html
    Fair play to you and good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hi OP

From my point of view I was the same as you, overweight for as long as I could remember, had tried all the diets & never ever stuck to them, my weight was going up and up, leading to a complete lack of confidence and in generally feeling awful about myself.

In Jan 2013 decided enough was enough so rejoined Slimming World (for the third time I might add), and went from there. Others have said it and I will reiterate, you cant change everything overnight, you cant loose all the weight, be super fit, look great etc, all in the space of the first month. If you focus on the total amount of weight you need to loose you will become so disheartened you wont want to continue.

For me the key was the do everything little by little. I started with the food side of things, and although I no longer follow SW & know that is not the perfect diet etc, it does give a good structure to start from. I know for me there are so many diets out there, and at the end of the day everyone will say that if you eat healthy then you will loose weight and that is 100% true, but without knowledge of what to eat, when to eat it etc, then that is just too much to take on at the start, it was for me anyhow. I found SW gave me structure, a plan to stick with, and I literally look it week by week, each week a pound or two came off, and I did the plan for another week, another pound gone, and I just stuck to that. It is a slow process, it required determination, motivation, sticking to the plan as much as you possibly can, but it 100% does work. Any of the diet plan, be it SW, WW, Unislim etc etc they are all the same really, different ways of controlling the amount that you eat and reducing your calorie intake, and for some people, myself included they are a good place to start.

From Jan 13 to Sept 13 I stuck to SW, each week loosing a few lbs, and little by little the weight came off, it was a slow process, sometimes I wanted to give up, but that is the key, a new diet is all well and good for a week, a month, but its after that time, when the excitement of getting started has worn off that you need to stick in there, stick with it and just keep going. Its not very exciting, not the most enjoyable, you will feel like you are missing out when you have to eat something boring when others are eating deep fried whatever, but one thing I can certainly say is that the end result is SO worth it. Its not going to be easy, but it is going to be worth it. Once you get going, the few lbs turn to your first stone gone, then your second, then your third and people really start to notice, you get into the swing of it, and for me the more nice comments I was getting, the more it spurred me on to keep going. The first time you go shopping and can buy the next size done, the feeling is amazing, then the next size down again. What you do then is bag up ALL your old clothes and get rid, you are NEVER going back to them again.

Just take it month by month. Say to yourself, this month I am going to loose half a stone. That is a manageable amount, and at the end of the month when that half stone is gone, say next month I will loose another half stone and will have lost a full stone down. Break it down into manageable amounts, dont get overwhelmed by the total amount you need to loose, just keep it small and achievable.

The key for me is that you have to be positive, and you have to stay positive. Much easier said than done, but critical to sticking to the plan and succeeding. If you fall off the plan for a night, dont dwell on it, get up the next day and get back to healthy eating. Dont let a blip turn into a bad weekend, then a bad week etc, and next thing it spirals out of control. Absolutely everyone falls off the wagon from time to time, let it go, draw a line under it and keep moving forward.

On the exercise side of things, from my point of view, get the food side of things right before you make serious changes exercise wise. It will just be too much change at once, and will be very difficult to sustain. For me food is 80%, if it takes months to get this right then take months, once you are comfortable with this, add in some light exercise and go from there. Walking and jogging is an easy, free way to start off, or joining a gym could be an option, funds allowing. I joined a gym myself in September, after 9 months on SW getting food right. At that stage I was down a good few stone so exercise was a little easier. I had been walking and jogging at that stage so had a bit of fitness built up, nothing major but wasnt starting from scratch. I had a gym instructor do me up a plan, at first 4 times a week, and went from there. I went back every 6 to 8 weeks to be re-evaluated and add to the plan, and have to say really love it now, go to the gym 6 times a week and absolutely wouldn't be without it. But its been a long process and everything happened little by little.

I left SW in September when I joined the gym, and moved to just healthy eating, with the help of my gym instructor. At that stage I was eating well anyhow, and it was an easier transaction away from SW. From then to this I have just stuck with healthy eating, changing things around, some things have worked, others havent, but all in all am happy with the progress.

To date I have lost almost 8 stone, very slowly, bit by bit. I am quite literally a different person, I have so much more confidence, I feel good in myself which I hadnt done for years, I am down 5 dress sizes, I can wear clothes I only dreamed of before, it has all been so worth it.

It is a really hard journey, it takes serious motivation, and sticking to the plan and often you just want to give in....but I can 110% confirm without a shadow of a doubt, it is so incredibly worth it, to get to a size that you are happy with, it will literally change your life. You will be a different person, and the main thing is that you will feel good in yourself, which for me, after years of being down in myself, having no confidence, feeling crap, it has all being worth it.

You just have to take the first step, take it step by step, and remain as positive as your can, dont beat yourself up if you occasionally fall off the wagon, just get up, dust yourself down, and keep going! Just try to improve little by little, thats the key!

Best of luck with your journey :-)

See this is the type of thing that annoys me, That is getting into semantics. The fact is people prefer dieting over exercise because exercise is hard work.
    The dieting motivation companies come up with phrases like "Its not what you eat its why you eat!" To me that is a cop out what about the nike slogan "Just do it!" :)

It's not semantics at all and to be honest, more people find eating clean a lot harder than exercise. If you find something you enjoy, exercise is easy.

Dieting companies should be ignored. If for no other reason than they complicate the very simple concept that is healthy eating :)

It's not semantics at all and to be honest, more people find eating clean a lot harder than exercise. If you find something you enjoy, exercise is easy.

Dieting companies should be ignored. If for no other reason than they complicate the very simple concept that is healthy eating :)

That is fair enough whatever works for people I suppose. Like this website below I think Exercise is far better for health then dieting.
    http://sciencenordic.com/exercise-better-health-dietary-changes

I suppose it depends what situation the person is in. But if exercise is easier then dieting why don't people do that and they won't have to diet in the first place!?

I suppose it depends what situation the person is in. But if exercise is easier then dieting why don't people do that and they won't have to diet in the first place!?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057244731/1

Personally I think there should be a few more options added to that poll:
    talking about diet
    talking about exercise

Personally I think there should be a few more options added to that poll:
    talking about diet
    talking about exercise

What it does show is that there are plenty of people there who aren't struggling with weight issues that find a clean diet more difficult than exercise.

What it does show is that there are plenty of people there who aren't struggling with weight issues that find a clean diet more difficult than exercise.

I asked a guy today that lives the lifestyle of dieting and exercise. He is a competitive body-builder. He told me that dieting is way more difficult then exercise.

So I admit obviously that I am wrong!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Great post and well done.
    Can I ask how your body has taken such a drop in weight? I've a lot to loose myself and I worry about flabby loose skin at the end of it.
    Mimojo wrote: »
    Hi OP

From my point of view I was the same as you, overweight for as long as I could remember, had tried all the diets & never ever stuck to them, my weight was going up and up, leading to a complete lack of confidence and in generally feeling awful about myself.

In Jan 2013 decided enough was enough so rejoined Slimming World (for the third time I might add), and went from there. Others have said it and I will reiterate, you cant change everything overnight, you cant loose all the weight, be super fit, look great etc, all in the space of the first month. If you focus on the total amount of weight you need to loose you will become so disheartened you wont want to continue.

For me the key was the do everything little by little. I started with the food side of things, and although I no longer follow SW & know that is not the perfect diet etc, it does give a good structure to start from. I know for me there are so many diets out there, and at the end of the day everyone will say that if you eat healthy then you will loose weight and that is 100% true, but without knowledge of what to eat, when to eat it etc, then that is just too much to take on at the start, it was for me anyhow. I found SW gave me structure, a plan to stick with, and I literally look it week by week, each week a pound or two came off, and I did the plan for another week, another pound gone, and I just stuck to that. It is a slow process, it required determination, motivation, sticking to the plan as much as you possibly can, but it 100% does work. Any of the diet plan, be it SW, WW, Unislim etc etc they are all the same really, different ways of controlling the amount that you eat and reducing your calorie intake, and for some people, myself included they are a good place to start.

From Jan 13 to Sept 13 I stuck to SW, each week loosing a few lbs, and little by little the weight came off, it was a slow process, sometimes I wanted to give up, but that is the key, a new diet is all well and good for a week, a month, but its after that time, when the excitement of getting started has worn off that you need to stick in there, stick with it and just keep going. Its not very exciting, not the most enjoyable, you will feel like you are missing out when you have to eat something boring when others are eating deep fried whatever, but one thing I can certainly say is that the end result is SO worth it. Its not going to be easy, but it is going to be worth it. Once you get going, the few lbs turn to your first stone gone, then your second, then your third and people really start to notice, you get into the swing of it, and for me the more nice comments I was getting, the more it spurred me on to keep going. The first time you go shopping and can buy the next size done, the feeling is amazing, then the next size down again. What you do then is bag up ALL your old clothes and get rid, you are NEVER going back to them again.

Just take it month by month. Say to yourself, this month I am going to loose half a stone. That is a manageable amount, and at the end of the month when that half stone is gone, say next month I will loose another half stone and will have lost a full stone down. Break it down into manageable amounts, dont get overwhelmed by the total amount you need to loose, just keep it small and achievable.

The key for me is that you have to be positive, and you have to stay positive. Much easier said than done, but critical to sticking to the plan and succeeding. If you fall off the plan for a night, dont dwell on it, get up the next day and get back to healthy eating. Dont let a blip turn into a bad weekend, then a bad week etc, and next thing it spirals out of control. Absolutely everyone falls off the wagon from time to time, let it go, draw a line under it and keep moving forward.

On the exercise side of things, from my point of view, get the food side of things right before you make serious changes exercise wise. It will just be too much change at once, and will be very difficult to sustain. For me food is 80%, if it takes months to get this right then take months, once you are comfortable with this, add in some light exercise and go from there. Walking and jogging is an easy, free way to start off, or joining a gym could be an option, funds allowing. I joined a gym myself in September, after 9 months on SW getting food right. At that stage I was down a good few stone so exercise was a little easier. I had been walking and jogging at that stage so had a bit of fitness built up, nothing major but wasnt starting from scratch. I had a gym instructor do me up a plan, at first 4 times a week, and went from there. I went back every 6 to 8 weeks to be re-evaluated and add to the plan, and have to say really love it now, go to the gym 6 times a week and absolutely wouldn't be without it. But its been a long process and everything happened little by little.

I left SW in September when I joined the gym, and moved to just healthy eating, with the help of my gym instructor. At that stage I was eating well anyhow, and it was an easier transaction away from SW. From then to this I have just stuck with healthy eating, changing things around, some things have worked, others havent, but all in all am happy with the progress.

To date I have lost almost 8 stone, very slowly, bit by bit. I am quite literally a different person, I have so much more confidence, I feel good in myself which I hadnt done for years, I am down 5 dress sizes, I can wear clothes I only dreamed of before, it has all been so worth it.

It is a really hard journey, it takes serious motivation, and sticking to the plan and often you just want to give in....but I can 110% confirm without a shadow of a doubt, it is so incredibly worth it, to get to a size that you are happy with, it will literally change your life. You will be a different person, and the main thing is that you will feel good in yourself, which for me, after years of being down in myself, having no confidence, feeling crap, it has all being worth it.

You just have to take the first step, take it step by step, and remain as positive as your can, dont beat yourself up if you occasionally fall off the wagon, just get up, dust yourself down, and keep going! Just try to improve little by little, thats the key!

Best of luck with your journey :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

I've been trying to eat healthier and exercise the last 2 months, I need to drop about 3 stone. I've tried numerous times before and always end up putting all the weight back on but this time it's been easier as I've downloaded one of those food/exercise trackers on my phone.
    You input your meals each day and record walks/runs and depending on how much exercise you do, your calorie intake for the day goes up. For example, I'm on 1200 calories a day but because I went out for an 8km walk, my total calories went up to 1500. You can see how many calories you're burning and plan accordingly. This has honestly been the best motivation for me as it's something tangible. I'm watching portion size and eating lots more fruit and veg and drink lots of water if i feel what could be interpreted as a hunger pang but is actually thirst but I don't deny myself a treat - that's the kind of mind set you have to be in, instead of thinking "oh god, i can never have a bag of crisps again!"
    I've been slowly losing weight which will hopefully mean I'll keep it off and am down 16 lbs so far. You can do it! Routine and getting into the habit of daily exercise is key. Once you make a start and see some weight come off and feel the difference, this will motivate you more. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

Everyone's opinions & experiences are very valid and helpful.. however, IMHO its not as easy as some are saying..

Like the op i knew exactly how to diet as i tried them all, i know what works and what doesn't work .. i can lose weight easily.. BUT your mind set has to be right.. fix WHY you are over eating and the dieting and exercise and motivation with all follow..

It is very easy to diet, once you are at a place of surrender.. if not, then you will be yoyo'ing and trying/failing, losing hope/motivation etc... vicious cycle!

Wish you all the best - nothing is impossible... keep trying until that day comes when it just all clicks!! The day you don't try may just be the day that it does happen!!!

Sending you some motivation healing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lauca

Hi all,
    I hope by posting this people aren't going to say walk, eat healthy etc I know this I understand how to eat healthy...exercise daily.. I just wanted to know im not alone!

I am 25 years old, ive been over weight since I can remember. The only time in my life when I remember being remotely healthy was when something happened in my life that caused me to loose weight in a very unhealthy way. I starved myself for 6 months and shed 6/7 stone. I made it down to 12 stone and hit a brick wall. I had habbits of binge eating Bd slowly within a year I had put the weight back on. Since then ive spiarled out of control. Ive done weight watchers, slimming world, slim fast and none work for me. I just need to know im not alone on this I want to and willing to but life tends to get in the way and food has become a comfort for me. Anybody else feel same/similar?

I am the exact same. Am 25 and got down to 12 stone once before. Am 14.4 now and its going nowhere. My next stop...hopefully a doctor will help

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lauca

Put simply if you burn up more then you put in you will lose weight. But eating the right food is important for nutrition

Not entirely true. I trained and completed a half marathon and was eating exceptionally well a few years and lost zero. Nutrition makes up more of ur body. The good ole saying abs are made in the kitchen

Advertisement