Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calorie is a calorie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Discretionary income, they didn't have any. Rich societies always tend to being overweight.

Mexico?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

He said 'tend to' be overweight. Cherry picking is bad Bruno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Mexico?

Nachos?

Mexico?

Moustaches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Mexico?

Mexico is top 10 in the world for purchasing power and has an economy that supports companies providing nutrient dense cheap foods.

But you won't care about this and will attribute weight gain to physics defying wheat and sugar.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Discretionary income, they didn't have any. Rich societies always tend to being overweight.

It's much more complex than saying this then, eg Netherlands.

It's much more complex than saying this then, eg Netherlands.

Yes, its very complex. What it is not is physics defying magic like you suggest.

Yes, its very complex. What it is not is physics defying magic like you suggest.[/

I'd presume the Dutch eat less carbs than the Mexicans.

I'd presume the Dutch eat less carbs than the Mexicans.

How do you manage to break the quote system so often?

I'd imagine the Dutch speak more Dutch than the Mexicans also. Both will have roughly the same affect on their obesity levels.

Excess calories make you fat, not magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mulbot wrote: »
    technically yea a calorie is a calorie-but it's like saying,a fuel is a fuel,
    I would say more like saying a kilo is a kilo, or a litre is a litre.

Both are just units of measure which like the calorie, could be used to estimate the required daily food intake of people. They are all estimates as to the energy you will get from food. They are no means an exact science when it comes to humans.

So instead of saying a man should eat 2500kcal a day "of food", they could say he should eat 2kg "of food", or 3Litres "of food" -the calorie is going to be more accurate in the majority of cases.

If you had 2 identical twins eating nothing but 2000kcal of rice per day they could have greatly different results of how much body mass they put on, if one ate it raw and one ate it overcooked the well cooked rice guy should get more food energy out of it.

If you are heavy drinker the calories will have far less effect than say eating sweets of the same calorific content.

• Advertisement

11 Experts Demolish the 'Calories-In-Calories-Out' Model

http://bit.ly/1lySaEs

Wow

Such prose

Many references

Wow

Such prose

Many references

No one is more expert than you!

Here are some cliff notes to save the website getting traffic.
    1. Adele Hite

So, lessee. I stepped on the scale and I weigh 160 pounds. If I’m 55% water (hooray, no calories there!), and 4% minerals (wait, does calcium have calories?), and then 13% protein (4 calories), 24% fat (9 calories) and 4% carbohydrate (4 calories), well then, hmm multiply by and convert and carry the one and—got it!—I’m exactly 194766.884 I’m exactly 206112.371 calories.

That means if I decrease my calorie intake by 500 calories a day (this where all that helpful calorie information on the side of the box of low-fat, high-fiber, individually calorie-control portion food comes in handy) and increase my activity by 500 calories a day (which I understand I can do simply through insanity, which—according to my children—should not be much of a stretch), that means that on November 10, 2012, sometime around noon, I will disappear altogether because all my calories will be gone

2. Dr. David Ludwig and Mark Freedman

FOR most of the last century, our understanding of the cause of obesity has been based on immutable physical law. Specifically, it’s the first law of thermodynamics, which dictates that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. When it comes to body weight, this means that calorie intake minus calorie expenditure equals calories stored. Surrounded by tempting foods, we overeat, consuming more calories than we can burn off, and the excess is deposited as fat. The simple solution is to exert willpower and eat less.......But what if we’ve confused cause and effect? What if it’s not overeating that causes us to get fat, but the process of getting fatter that causes us to overeat?

3. Gary Taubes

[Certain genetically obese mice] will fatten excessively regardless of how much they eat. The obesity is not dependent on the number of calories they consume

4. Dr. Mark Hyman

Yes, that well-worn notion—that as long as you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight—is simply dead wrong....But sorry, Mr. Newton; your law of thermodynamics doesn’t apply in living, breathing, digesting systems. When you eat food, the “isolated system” part of the equation goes out the window.

5. Tom Naughton

(Just spent a few hundred words asking that people leave fat people alone)

6. Sam Feltham

Simply put the energy in their body fat stores is trapped and accumulating, similar to a tumour that is growing. Unless their biochemical imbalances are rebalanced they will remain overweight or obese, even in a calorie deficit in a lot of cases, and will most likely develop either type 2 diabetes, chronic heart disease, cancer, alzheimer’s or even a combination of these called metabolic syndrome.

7. Richard Feinman and Eugene FIne

The second law is a dissipation law [which] says that variation of efficiency for different metabolic pathways is to be expected. Thus, ironically the dictum that a “calorie is a calorie” violates the second law of thermodynamics, as a matter of principle
    (huh?)

8. “ItsTheWoo”

“Ya know blog, I’m not sure if [the CICO advocates] are actually purposefully pretending to misunderstand the hormone hypothesis argument, or if they really are too stupid to understand it. I just can’t tell. In my view it is beyond evident physiological factors are responsible for fat mass gain; calories and the mechanisms to obtain them (sloth/gluttony) are merely reactive to the body state which is controlled by baseline physiology. So, when [the CICO advocates] for years and years and *years* keep writing mind numbingly stupid **** like this:

‘We again are asked to ignore the obvious — that Americans are definitely eating more, on average, with no concurrent need for those calories, and likely moving a bit less as well.’

I just don’t know what to think anymore.

9. J. Stanton

The fate of a “calorie” of food depends completely on its specific molecular composition, the composition of the foods accompanying it, and how those molecules interact with our current metabolic and nutritional state.

10. Bill Lagakos

Counting calories to lose weight does not work for the majority of dieters. This happens, in part, because the calories in food are not the same as those expended by the body.

11. Jonathan Bailor

In this revolutionary book informed by over 1,300 studies and the new science of fat loss, food, and fitness, Bailor shows us how eating more—of the right kinds of foods—and exercising less—but at a higher intensity—is actually the key to burning fat, healing our hormones, boosting metabolism, and creating long-term weight loss. When we eat lots of high-quality foods like whole plants and nutritious proteins, our bodies are able to achieve a natural, healthy weight—automatically.”

A quick bit of background on the individual 'experts' - They are all selling books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

Why calories don't count.

http://youtu.be/y00cU8EHWlY

Interview with Sam Feltham

http://youtu.be/PHbN7iqzhO8

There is a houseplant beside me at the minute. Please do not insult its intelligence by posting that stuff.

There is a houseplant beside me at the minute. Please do not insult its intelligence by posting that stuff.

Why is he incorrect? If he is then please point out why he is wrong. Is he telling lies?

Who are you talking about? But by the way you are the one making the claim, the burden of proof is on your part. And you haven't given any evidence to back up your claims.

Who are you talking about? But by the way you are the one making the claim, the burden of proof is on your part. And you haven't given any evidence to back up your claims.

I have.

Have you read 'the big fat surprise' yet? Explains really well how many facts / proof / academic research of last 50 years is flawed and how anyone in academia who went against the mainstream view was ostracised.

• Advertisement

Plenty of people write books.

They're not always the most valid source of scientific information.

You'd be better served by referencing some peer-reviewed papers from creditable publications.

I have.

Have you read 'the big fat surprise' yet? Explains really well how many facts / proof / academic research of last 50 years is flawed and how anyone in academia who went against the mainstream view was ostracised.

No I haven't. Have you read any INDEPENDENT research on high fat calorie controlled diets? If you did you'll realise that any benefits to high fat diets gained through unwittingly consuming less calories. If calories are controlled it has no benefits. Any improvement in health markers through an ad lib (non controlled) high fat diet are because of the reduction in calories.

Have you researched Durianrider? He eats 6000-1100 calories a day through a raw vegan diet (polar opposite of HFLC) and is at single digit bodyfat. Like the chap in the links you provided he counts the calories himself, is the only one in the experiment, his blogs attract lots of visitors and have lots of ads, and lots of nut job followers. How can they both be correct?

One has a ridiculously high carb/low fat diet made up of 2-3 times his caloric maintenance and the other has a ridiculously low carb/high fat diet made up of 2-3 times his caloric maintenance and they are both underweight, what gives?

You'd be better served by referencing some peer-reviewed papers from creditable publications.

Even a solid statement that we could check up ourselves! Not this wishy washy crap of moving the goalposts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

One of your experts, in her latest article:
    http://itsthewooo.blogspot.ie/2014/06/myth-meat-is-not-very-ketogenic-plants.html
    I would like to segue into my next point: the ketogenic diet for mood and neurological issues is not a weight loss diet, and it is INEPT for obesity control relative to the protein fest of paleo or other high meat diets. The reason dieters are always bitching and moaning that cheese and nuts make them fat is because FAT IS FATTENING.

rocky wrote: »

Doesn't count.

Possibly. Peer reviewed didn't do much to stop Ancel Keys.

http://youtu.be/Bsx72V4IpJY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

You're persistent, I'll give you that

Possibly. Peer reviewed didn't do much to stop Ancel Keys.

http://youtu.be/Bsx72V4IpJY

I opened your link, the first thing the your man said was that 500,000 human brains were half the size they are now and diet caused it to expand to its current size. Anotomically modern humans only evolved 200,000 years, the fact that he lied or is totally ignorant of this and his obvious lack of understanding of evolution but joy at preaching about it made me stop watching. You're going to have to tell me about Ancel Keys yourself.

I opened your link, the first thing the your man said was that 500,000 human brains were half the size they are now and diet caused it to expand to its current size. Anotomically modern humans only evolved 200,000 years, the fact that he lied or is totally ignorant of this and his obvious lack of understanding of evolution but joy at preaching about it made me stop watching. You're going to have to tell me about Ancel Keys yourself.

Wel you obviously didn't read too far down! The fact you don't know anything about Keys reflects your ignorance / intolerance of the discussion.

• Advertisement

Wel you obviously didn't read too far down! The fact you don't know anything about Keys reflects your ignorance / intolerance of the discussion.

Well the fact that you don't know anything about nutrition mustn't put you in too steady a footing either?

Well the fact that you don't know anything about nutrition mustn't put you in too steady a footing either?

Exactly! why would anyone take my opinion as advice?

While I don't doubt you are a nutrition expert! One would presume the irish nutrition and dietetic institute are 100% correct on everything nutrition.

"The healthiest way to include carbohydrates in your diet is to base your meals on high fibre starchy foods such as wholegrain bread rice and pasta and other wholegrains such as quinoa, millet and buckwheat. Potatoes eaten in their jackets are another good example of a high fibre starchy food. Use milk on your cereals or have a glass of milk with dinner. Natural yogurts can be used as a topping to breakfast cereal or as a snack along with a serving of chopped fruit"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

I dont have time to read the thread yet but would just like to leave this and ask a question .

http://voices.yahoo.com/understanding-thermogenic-effects-food-533904.html

Is protein more ''Thermogenic'' than carbs or fat , raises body temp and hence costs more energy per calorie to use it and hence one might conclude if this is true that ''a calorie is not a calorie?''

Exactly! why would anyone take my opinion as advice?

While I don't doubt you are a nutrition expert! One would presume the irish nutrition and dietetic institute are 100% correct on everything nutrition.

"The healthiest way to include carbohydrates in your diet is to base your meals on high fibre starchy foods such as wholegrain bread rice and pasta and other wholegrains such as quinoa, millet and buckwheat. Potatoes eaten in their jackets are another good example of a high fibre starchy food. Use milk on your cereals or have a glass of milk with dinner. Natural yogurts can be used as a topping to breakfast cereal or as a snack along with a serving of chopped fruit"

What just happened?

popolive wrote: »
    I dont have time to read the thread yet but would just like to leave this and ask a question .

http://voices.yahoo.com/understanding-thermogenic-effects-food-533904.html

Is protein more ''Thermogenic'' than carbs or fat and hence costs more energy per calorie to use it and hence one might conclude if this is true that ''a calorie is not a calorie?''

Yes it is. You might conclude that but you would be wrong. A gram of protein has 4 calories. For every gram of protein the body breaks down it uses c. 0.8 calories to do so. Therefore there is a net caloric gain of 3.2 calories.
    A calorie is a calorie.

What just happened?

You said I don't know much about nutrition. It appears that qualified dieticians and nutritionists don't know a lot about nutrition.

• Advertisement

You said I don't know much about nutrition. It appears that qualified dieticians and nutritionists don't know a lot about nutrition.

But the quote you gave is by 'qualified dieticians and nutritionists' and it's perfectly sound nutritional advice which means they do know about nutrition?

I think dem der ketones are messin with your head brah.

But the quote you gave is by 'qualified dieticians and nutritionists' and it's perfectly sound nutritional advice which means they do know about nutrition?

I think dem der ketones are messin with your head brah.

Ah here! Base your meals on bread, pasta and rice and eat breakfast cereals is sound nutritional advice?

Ah here! Base your meals on bread, pasta and rice and eat breakfast cereals is sound nutritional advice?

What's wrong with it? (No links please)

This Keys chap...is he anything to Richard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

http://www.safefood.eu/Healthy-Eating/What-is-a-balanced-diet/The-Food-Pyramid.aspx

Heres the food pyramid chaps . Perfectly good , sound nutritional advice that the worlds experts agree on. Apart from a few " experts " trying to make a splash and sell a few books or make a name for themselves. Put your common sense hat on guys.

• Advertisement

dor843088 wrote: »
    http://www.safefood.eu/Healthy-Eating/What-is-a-balanced-diet/The-Food-Pyramid.aspx

Heres the food pyramid chaps . Perfectly good , sound nutritional advice that the worlds experts agree on. Apart from a few " experts " trying to make a splash and sell a few books or make a name for themselves. Put your common sense hat on guys.

Oh dear!

Weren't these folks pushing margarines containing trans fats at us ? The same type who want us to eat horse burgers and salmonella eggs etc. I don't trust the government to advise us about food.

Yes it is. You might conclude that but you would be wrong. A gram of protein has 4 calories. For every gram of protein the body breaks down it uses c. 0.8 calories to do so. Therefore there is a net caloric gain of 3.2 calories.
    A calorie is a calorie.

But whats the same process with a gram of carbs or fat instead ?

Do you end up with more or less than 3.2 calories after a gram of carbs or fat ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Weren't these folks pushing margarines containing trans fats at us ? The same type who want us to eat horse burgers and salmonella eggs etc. I don't trust the government to advise us about food.

He's just stirring the pot. But on a side note why do you think there's something wrong with eggs???
    But whats the same process with a gram of carbs or fat instead ?

As far as I know its somewhere around 8-15%.

What's a salmonella egg?

And what's wrong with horse meat? Aside from that, and as bad as the government may be, I'm pretty sure no one from the government issues advice suggesting we should be eating cheap, highly-processed burgers.

5d485290d4185d816ae10b5078f5ab3a.jpg

Oh dear!

Award for most ironic post .

You guys are crazy , all trying to reinvent the wheel . A calorie is a calorie . A calorie deficit = weight loss , a surplus = weight gain . Dietary fat is the bodys preferred source for storing body fat . Carbs are more difficult for the body to store as body fat and requires energy to do so. Protein is unlikely to be stored as body fat (possible but unlikely). Therefore fat is the most fattening (per calorie consumed) , then carbs then protein. Those are the most up to date scientific facts guys , and aint noone tryin to sell a book of it either. And before someone asks for a link to a study no, do your own research on how fat cells actually work its pretty easy to find.

You guys are crazy , all trying to reinvent the wheel . A calorie is a calorie . A calorie deficit = weight loss , a surplus = weight gain . Dietary fat is the bodys preferred source for storing body fat . Carbs are more difficult for the body to store as body fat and requires energy to do so. Protein is unlikely to be stored as body fat (possible but unlikely). Therefore fat is the most fattening (per calorie consumed) , then carbs then protein. Those are the most up to date scientific facts guys , and aint noone tryin to sell a book of it either. And before someone asks for a link to a study no, do your own research on how fat cells actually work its pretty easy to find.

You are crazy to believe fat make you fat. Fat does not make you fat - in fact the opposite. I suppose you buy low fat? If so you've been fooled by industry.

There are far more people making money off your beliefs than a few guys going against the grain!

You are crazy to believe fat make you fat. Fat does not make you fat - in fact the opposite.

What he actually said:
    Therefore fat is the most fattening (per calorie consumed)

• Advertisement
Advertisement