Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olive oil vs Rapeseed

• 29-03-2014 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Which is better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

For cooking?? Neither- coconut oil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GuyFawkes

Depends and depends what you're cooking.

Olive oil doesn't get hot enough to cook through large pieces of meat so you're left with a char on the outside so I'd go for rapeseed oil.

For stir-fry veg or for a salad I'd use olive oil.

I occasionally use coconut oil for stir-fry meat and veg too. Also good with oven baked sweet potato chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Health benefits though, I consume rapeseed oil as much as I can, on bread, salads, dinners, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GuyFawkes

Rapeseed oil then.

Lower sat fat, higher omega 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Crisp n Dry for deep fat fryers is 100% rapeseed. Prefer the taste of olive oil though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

I was at a talk given by a dietitian recently, she said either olive or rapeseed oil are the healthiest options, she said that there no conclusive studies to suggest that coconut oil is any better and a lot of coconut oils may be highly processed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Ok no.. rapeseed or any other vegetable oil is not healthy if heated at high heats or exposed to light long (i.e not kept in the cupboard) it turns into a trans fat. Coconut oil and butter never turn into trans fat and olive oil has a higher stamina before turning into a transfat. Nut seed and veg oils for salads only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What about for drizzling over a salad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    What about for drizzling over a salad?

Rapeseed oil is gross to be honest, I wouldn't put it near a salad.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Definitely olive oil.

Rapeseed oil is a brand new food, they only developed the ability to make it edible in the past 30 years.

That and rapeseed is high in omega 6, which when heated becomes oxidised very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

http://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points#.U8UuIfldUxY
    The bottom line is that when possible, buy and use organic, unrefined, cold-processed vegetable oils. Use extra virgin olive oil in salads or to add to cooked foods, but not for high temperature cooking. Unrefined walnut oil is also good, but again only for low temperature uses.

You can use virgin coconut oil (high in beneficial saturated fats and medium chain triglycerides) for most mid-temperature cooking. However, coconut oil has a smoke point of about 350 degrees F (171 C), which means it is not suitable for high temperature cooking. Other choices include virgin olive oil and even butter in small amounts.

Use avocado oil for high temperature cooking. Avocado oil has a very high smoke point by comparison to other cooking oils. It will not burn or smoke until it reaches 520 F (271 C), which is ideal for searing meats and frying in a Wok. Another good cooking oil is rice bran oil 495 F(257 C). Again, look for organic, cold-processed oil.

I would agree with all of the above, apart from the recommendation to go organic, as I think organic food is a cod. Personally I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil in salads (even take spoons of it by itself as it has excellent anti-inflammatories in it) and sunflower oil to cook with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

http://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points#.U8UuIfldUxY

I would agree with all of the above, apart from the recommendation to go organic, as I think organic food is a cod. Personally I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil in salads (even take spoons of it by itself as it has excellent anti-inflammatories in it) and sunflower oil to cook with.

Sunflower oil isn't healthy and turns into a trans fat at high temperatures I wouldn't go near it unless for a salad. Olive oil is better because its monounsaturated but more for medium heats.

http://authoritynutrition.com/are-vegetable-and-seed-oils-bad/

Advertisement