Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Diary for vitamins/minerals/trace elements

Options
  • 04-07-2014 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a food diary that you can use to tell you if you are hitting your RDA of all the minerals, vitamins and trace elements?

I know MFP will give you some of the info - but it is only the main ones - calcium, iron etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Well, its not a diary, but look on the side of the Multivitamin bottles - I suppose any good brand.

There's usually a list of the side of the various vitamins and minerals that are in it, with also a list of how much of that one is recommended in a day, and what percentage of that is supplied by this brand.

They often claim to be "complete" (or close, LOL) so maybe you could use that list as a kind of basic guide?

Just trying to be helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Thanks for trying! I know what a person needs to be eating, but what I was hoping was that there was a diary out there that I could put in all my food for (say) a month and it would give me a report saying 'low on selenium' or whatever

My question really is that for say selenium, I know I am getting enough because I eat Brazil nuts regularly, but I am sure I am also getting it from other sources - so I wanted the whole lot added up for me... lol I know my diets is fine because I have just had a whole blood panel done but I was just interested.

Not sure I am being very clear! But thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

have you tried Cronometer? https://cronometer.com/

It does the minerals/vitamins etc, but I've never logged more than a day at a time, so I don't know what kind of report it can generate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

That is brilliant, thanks so much - more or less exactly what I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

+1 for Cronometer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

fewtins wrote: »
    +1 for Cronometer.

Addictive site!

Somehow eating HFLC I've managed to consume just 15.5% of my calories from protein. Still 154g for an 80kg man is quite a bit of protein

Was just one day, must log a weeks food and see.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Another +1 for cronometer. They even tell you the breakdown of omega 6/3 in your diet, which was an eye opener for me.

Of course all rda's and amounts of nutrients are approximate and come from the USDA database - so US focused (for example Irish milk is higher in vitamins than US milk), but it gives you a rough idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Just set myself up a Chronometer account - very impressed so far :-)

Does anyone have any reliable recent sources for RDAs of standard vitamins and minerals? Cronometer takes the American standard as its standard setting, but I believe many of these are too low. I'd hoped that someone like Chris Kresser would have these online in a handy list but I haven't been able to find one yet.

Not to my knowledge, testing for vitamin and mineral content of a food is very expensive. So I doubt anyone has undertaken that.

There may be isolated studies with relation to irish beef if you have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The FSAI published these RDAs for the Irish population back in 1999 if that's any use.

http://www.fsai.ie/assets/0/86/204/fb3f2891-2896-4bf9-903f-938f3c2ad01f.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Or Annex 1 of this EU Directive gives limits. The Directive was published in 2008.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:285:0009:0012:EN:PDF

Thanks Alf, I'll check those out.

El Dangeroso, I meant the RDA's for intake rather than the vitamin/mineral content of foodstuffs :-) I believe, for example, that the RDA for vitamin A is much lower than it should be. OK, there are interactions which have to be accounted for (A and D for example, or omega 3-6 balance), but I was wondering where to get a good baseline recommendation.

D'oh, just realised that. I clearly haven't had enough omega 3 today :o

But your point was very valid - I love the idea of tracking micronutrients, but it's never going to be accurate. It bothers me though when red lights appear because I've eaten a portion of liver, hence the RDA question!

helliwen wrote: »
    But your point was very valid - I love the idea of tracking micronutrients, but it's never going to be accurate. It bothers me though when red lights appear because I've eaten a portion of liver, hence the RDA question!

Vitamins and minerals will vary depending on soil quality and also how you cook the food, so you're never going to know 100% accurately.

Basically get mostly there and you're doing good. Otherwise you can just get neurotic about it.

Advertisement