Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Own a house in Ireland and not paid NPPR?.. warning.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Thankfully I could afford to pay it before it got any worse but it was a significant bite out of my savings which has now cost me my trip home to see family this christmas and few other belt tightening issues. I really feel for those who do not have savings available and this comes as another kick when their down. I love Ireland and hope to be able to move back some day when work is available but this leaves me further disillusioned with the state of the government.

I sympathise with what has been done to you. Personally I would not have paid voluntarily like that. You have given in to bullying. I don't believe for a minute that it will be an issue in the future. Even if it was, let them first have to realise and then have to try to prove whenever you sell the house that NPPR tax was payable on it in the 5 years that NPPR applied (2009-2013) - The burden of proof is on them and this was a totally unfair and penal tax. It was not as you say a property tax before LPT, it was specifically a tax on people who owned property but did not live in the property as their primary residence. It only applied to a relatively small percentage of houses in Ireland. A very large proportion of those houses were owned by Irish emigrants like ourselves, many of us forced emigrants. Liability for this tax will completely lapse in 2023 anyway, so unless you're planning on selling before then no worries.

My view on Ireland is different to yours. I used to love Ireland (beautiful countryside on the very rare few occasions that the sun is shining), but I am completely disillusioned (and very angry) with the way that socially and economically the country has been run into the ground by the gombeen politicians and banksters. Lavish "citizenship ceremonies" for foreigners are held while our own young people are forced to emigrate. So called asylum seekers allowed to flood in. You're forced to emigrate and leave your property behind, then they want to tax you because you can't live in it ! Irish working people being screwed relentlessly by pay freezes, ever increasing taxes and stealth taxes (LPT, Water charges etc) while the lazy, the workshy, the feckless, the parasites and the scammers are given annual increases in their free handouts from those same Irish taxpayers. Scumbags and thieves totally out of control. It's an absolute disgrace. I would never even consider returning to Ireland. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Long Gone wrote: »
    In any case if people who have emigrated are renting their property out they are non resident landlords and their tax liability is in their country of residence.

Wrong.

Tax on rental income is due in Ireland regardless of where the landlord lives...

Non - Resident Landlords

Where rent is paid to a landlord who is not resident in the State, certain obligations may arise for the tenant. If the landlord has an agent in the State to whom the rent is paid then no obligations arise. If however rent is paid directly to the landlord (this includes payment directly into a bank account held by the landlord) then the following actions must be taken. The tenant must deduct 20% of the rent due from the amount paid over to the landlord. This 20% must then be remitted to Revenue. The local Revenue Office should be contacted to make the appropriate arrangements for the collection of this charge. The remaining 80% of the rent due should be paid over to the landlord. At the end of the year the tenant should furnish the landlord with a completed icon_pdf_small.gifForm R185 - Certificate of Income Tax Deducted (PDF, 47KB). This form gives details of the amount of the rent that was paid over to Revenue. The landlord can then claim this amount as a credit on their annual Tax Return.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/rent-credit.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

Just to note - its possible to appeal for a 50% reduction in the late payment fees & a number of people have been successful in this appeal. Its not ideal, but its better than nothing. But there are conditions...

The website http://npprappeal.ie covers all this.

Advertisement