Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which distribution for a newbie?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

LXLE is great if you have an old computer like XP or vista age. Its basically built on top of lubuntu but much nicer.

http://www.lxle.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gearoid!

I think Manjaro is not mentioned yet. It's a Linux Distro that is based on Arch Linux. You could choose from different type of environment:

Manjaro XFCE:
    Manjaro Xfce 17.0 Gellivara is delivered with the Manjaro's own dark theme as well as the current Xfce 4.12. The default kernel was updated to linux49 4.9 LTS, the Xorg stack to the 1.19 series.

Manjaro KDE:
    Manjaro KDE 17.0 Gellivara is delivered with the Manjaro's own dark KDE Theme as well as the current KDE Plasma 5.9.3, KDE Apps 16.12.3 and the KDE Framework 5.31.0. The default kernel was updated to linux49 4.9 LTS, the Xorg stack to the 1.19 series.

Manjaro Gnome:
    With the publication of Manjaro 17.0 the GNOME Edition was offered as third official version

Manjaro Net:
    The Net Edition has not yet been officially released as version 17.0. In the download area of the Manjaro homepage, the Net Edition is currently no longer an official version.

Manjaro Community Editions:

- Cinnamon Edition
    - MATE Edition
    - Deepin Edition
    - Enlightenment Edition
    - Fluxbox Edition
    - I3 Edition
    - OpenBox Edition

I personally like the Cinnamon Edition, it's the same desktop environment used by Linux Mint Cinnamon.

2HaCp9.jpg

Another fast and easy to install/use distro is ElementaryOS, it's based on Ubuntu. Desktop design and environment is similar to OSX. While the Manjaro is Windows-like.

I would not recommend an Arch-based distro for a new user due to the high chance or breakage.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

any of these

zorin
    ubuntu mate
    mint cinnamon or mate
    peppermint
    linux lite

• Advertisement

rayzercork wrote: »
    any of these

zorin
    ubuntu mate
    mint cinnamon or mate
    peppermint
    linux lite

I'd add Xubuntu and MX to that fine list also.

peppermint 10 has been released, just downloaded it earlier but yet to give it a test run. from what ive seen its mostly under the hood changes with the exception of a few new wallpapers and a rolling kernel updater thing (not too sure about it).

rayzercork wrote: »
    peppermint 10 has been released, just downloaded it earlier but yet to give it a test run. from what ive seen its mostly under the hood changes with the exception of a few new wallpapers and a rolling kernel updater thing (not too sure about it).

I think Peppermint OS is a great distro. I put it on a relatives old laptop and they've had zero issues. It combines the best of other DEs - LXDE elements + Xfce elements + Nemo file manager, etc. The ICE tool is also very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Another +1 for Peppermint.

Just installed it there on an older Sony laptop and it's running great. It does appear faster than the Lubuntu installation I had on it, but that could be just a perception based on how new and shiny it is.

its been a while since i used lubuntu but theres an option in obconf 'animate iconify' or something like it that if you disable it it makes the window minimize/maximize much quicker. gives the impression that lubuntu is much snappier and helps with slower systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Sono Topolino

When I started it was on Ubuntu 8.04. I used Ubuntu distros nearly continuously for the following fifteen or so years until I discovered EndeavourOS and realised I barely knew how to use Linux. Since I made the switch in 2020, I've never once had a problem with my system breaking randomly - which was an almost annual occurrence with Ubuntu. With Ubuntu I never felt empowered to pursue fixes, because I had no idea what "systemd" was. Ubuntu worked so well that I rarely needed to use the terminal.

If you're a new user who wants to learn, then I'd recommend something like EndeavourOS (based on Arch). To use this, you will be required to familiarise yourself somewhat with Terminal commands. Otherwise, just go with Fedora.

I'd recommend a new user to start with a non-rolling release.

One of these for example:

• Linux Mint
    • Lubuntu
    • MX Linux
    • openSUSE
    • Peppermint OS
    • Solus
    • SolydXK
    • SparkyLinux
    • Ubuntu MATE
    • Xubuntu
    • Zorin OS

Then when they are more familiar with GNU/Linux, try a rolling distro such as Arch, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anunexus

Over the last five years I tried out many distros in LiveCD mode; most were not at all friendly towards a Windows user. My pick of the litter for a distro to install is either MX Linux or Linux Lite. For a distro to run as a LiveCD, it would be Kodachi Linux or TAILS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I've enjoyed using Pop! It's aesthetically quite nice, and I like that it's built with gaming in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 11 boarjosh

I’ve been on Pop!OS myself for a good while now, even though gaming isn’t my thing. It’s been a smooth ride, and I appreciate its clean design and overall stability. It’s great to hear it's working out well for you too, @AbusesToilets!

Advertisement