Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acceptable time left waiting in hair salon???

• 25-04-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm a newbie here so go easy on me if i'm posting this in the wrong place!

So as the heading suggests, i'm wondering how long do ye think it's acceptable to be left waiting in a hair salon. Me myself, i think if you have an appointment for a certain time, u should be seen at that time.

Obviously i understand some delays can't be helped but is it unreasonable to ask to be kept undated?

I had an appointment at 6.30pm yesterday in a certain salon in cork. Arrived at the salon at 6.30pm, was taken to my seat at 6.35pm by the receptionist. She never told me how long i'd be waiting or who'd be doing my hair. I stayed seated waiting until 6.50pm when i left the salon as no-one had come near me.

Am i just an extra impatient person or do ye think this is a crazy length of time to be left waiting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 boccuzzi

i think you were right to walk out; 15mins is long enough to be waiting especially without an apology or explanation of delay.everyones time is valuable so a bit of respect would go along way. i also think that stqff arent being trained in customer relations and if a salon wants to continue in their businesses successfully they need to cop on and learn this.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Never been left waiting like that, at the very least the stylist will come over and chat about what Im getting done first, and get me a coffee, if I have to wait for her to finish another client, and at most Id be 5-10 mins.

Good on you for walking out. Salons arent cheap, you pay well so you should be treated well (and promptly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

You were absolutely right - I'm one of those people who sit there fuming then when they saunter over without an explanation for the delay I pretend all is fine ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sinsear

I have never been kept waiting by my hairdresser. Walking was a good idea but you really should have complained like you did in the forum. Not just about the wait but the lack of communication. Coulda got a free voucher or something :pac:

Things like that don't bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Yeah you were right to walk out. I don't like waiting when I've an appointment booked, if they just let you know there's a delay and gave you a coffee I wouldn't mind. Time really drags when you're constantly expecting to be about to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

The day of my graduation, I had an appointment at 10:00 to get my hair curled and styled in a salon in Midleton. Called a few days beforehand to see how long it would take as it was booked and paid already as part of a graduation present and I wanted to make sure I had time to go home and get changed etc... The receptionist told me it would take about 1 hour.

Arrived at 9:45, the receptionist got me a cup of tea. 10:15, the hairdresser still hadn't come over to start on my hair. 10:30 I txt my Godmother and asked her what time her daughter-in-law had booked the appointment. She came into me to see what was going on. 10:45 the hairdresser finally came over and started, gave me a pathetic apology and made small chat.

I'm very easygoing and will chat away to anyone, but when I told her I now lived in Dublin she proceeded to slate the city and say how cr*p she thought the city was when she lived up here to train. Then TWENTY minutes later she finished up and told me I was done. I asked her if she was sure the curls were done enough as I have typical Chinese straight, heavy hair and curls don't usually stay in after 2 hours. She told me as long as I didn't touch it the curls wouldn't fall out. Disgusted I left with a face like thunder on me.

And low and behold, curls fell out after the graduation ceremony.

I've never been so annoyed in my life. I wouldn't have paid EUR50 if it wasn't that it was already paid for.

I think you're dead right to leave - I would do exactly the same if it happened to me again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

When you are a customer you should never be made feel invisible. I have walked out of various places because of this type of 'service'. I would rather part with my cash somewhere more deserving. It doesn't take 2 seconds to acknowledge and apologise for a delay and offer a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'm very easy going about most things so unless I had to be somewhere and was in a rush I wouldn't be too bothered about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I think i probably wouldve made the point that I was leaving & that theyd lost their 40-200euro depending on what you were getting done. Although in saying that i probably wouldve just sat there impatiently & done nothing :p

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

You ought to have complained to management. No point in really walking out without saying anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Similar thing happened to me the last place I went for a haircut. Was sat down and left waiting for nearly half an hour, no coffee or nothing. Of course then they bring the coffee in the middle of me getting my hair cut so you don't get a chance to drink it. Won't be going back again :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I would have left, but I would have made the management aware why and that I was leaving.
    If you turned up that late without ringing ahead I'm sure they would have had a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Little Miss!

Thanks u guys don't feel like such a looney now!! I was thinking of calling the manager but thought what's the point? even if they gave a discount or something, it's not like i'd ever go back there.

they did miss out as i was gonna have a full head of meche hi-lites and a cut and if they were good i would've been going back every 5-6 weeks so it's really bad luck for them!! easily spending over €150 every 5-6 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

They should have at least let you know they were running behind and I would call and tell them of your experience. It is bad for business and they should be aware that you won't be recommending them.

Day I got married I was waiting about 30 mins or more as there was someone away and eventually I went up and said, um, I'm getting married in an hour and a half, do you think you might get started soon? Got the star treatment then and it was the hairdresser I had always gone to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

15 minutes, seriously, and you walked out?? I would consider myself a very impatient person but I don't think even I would be so put out after just 15 minutes! Half an hour maybe.
    Having said that haircuts are expensive these days and if you're not happy with the service somewhere you're right to go elsewhere. As others said though I would have pointed out to the staff that you were unhappy at being made to wait for that length of time with no communication, rather than leaving without a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Have to say I wouldnt be overly bothered unless I had to be some where straight after. During the 15-20min wait I would have had my nose in a mag. If it went much beyond that Id call someone and nicely ask if I would be seen to soon. If I had anywhere to be after the salon, Id bring it up as I walk in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The last time I went to have my hair done, I was left waiting for quite a while. But I was in a small salon where I knew exactly what was going on, and I was offered magazines and a drink, not to mention an apology that I was being kept waiting. By the time she finished my hair, there was someone waiting for quite a while, and she called the person next on her books to let her know she was held up.

I think that it's only manners to keep a client informed, in the same way that I'd keep my hairdresser informed if i was running late. It works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Im not sure hairdressers understand the concept of time.

My last place, I left because they would leave me waiting up to 30mins to be seated let alone seen to. I knew the owner quite well so I felt awkward about it but eventually (after waiting an hr one day) I said to her I have no idea why you have an appointment system cos it dosen't work, she was very pertrubed and tried to argue that if one person is late it affects everyone blah blah... I suggested that if one person is very late tell them they have missed their slot, tough! Why should other people have to wait if one person is late?

Anyway, I walked out and now go to a place where your waiting no longer than 10 mins or so. I actually enjoy being in the hairdressers, its chill out time for me, cup of tea and magazine, its great but I don't like people taking the piss..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stavemartinez

I got my hair coloured in peter marks only two weeks ago and it was the most frustrating thing ever.First of all I arrived early one weekday and had a consultation.I wait about 15 minutes as all the hairdressers were doing their hair in the mirror...after that I got a skin test which somehow they didnt mess up!I asked about colour in my hair and they said everything was fine.It was clear after I got it done they were NOT listening

When I was getting my hair coloured that Saturday my "stylist" turned the chair around from the mirror & put strips in my hair.I told her exactly the amount of colour I wanted and I even bought the green dye seperately myself.I had never got strips before in my hair so I was a bit unsure about how many she was putting in but I made it VERY clear that I wanted only a TINY bit of colour.after about 3 hours it was finished and it was horrible.I payed €85 but was in a rush to meet someone and left the salon thinking it would be ok with a bit of gel or spray when I get home.On my way home I bought brown dye cause after 2 hours of looking like a traveller I decided I've had enough and my "stylist" clearly wasnt listening.

I arrived in the next day and spoke to the manager.She was unhelpful and rude.She stood beside the till with a moany face & said "come back tomorow your stylist isnt ere".On my way home I payed a visit to peter marks on grafton str and asked how much would a bit of colour cost?they said €30!...I had college all week so came in on the friday.I talked to my stylist who was fake as **** but pretended to be nice.she said that I was charged for half a head of colour.The manager wasnt there so I had to come back in an hour!when I came back she said there was no way I was getting a refund.she said that I was charged for a blow dry and 20 strips(totally different to what my stylist had said).I told her I know im entitled to a refund in this case and I walked away half way through conversation telling her my boyfriend is gonna have to talk to you.He came in and she continued to lie saying she told me the price before i got it done.I told her to learn simple addition and to stop lying.she told us to go to the headquarters and was surprisingly helpful to my boyfriend!

We went to the headquarters and aparently head of complaints was in a meeting but my boyfriend left his number.I got a phone call from her today trying to catch me out so I wont get the refund.She told me to stop insulting the intellegience of their staff and when I informed her that the story is going up online she said "dont threaten the company".I told her that it wasnt the hair or the money I cared about it was the principle.I was offered no re-do no voucher nothing.I was given filthy looks from all the staff.I guess most people dont have the nerve to come back in after a botched up haircut.

<edit>you may not name individuals</edit>.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

after about 3 hours it was finished and it was horrible.I payed €85 but was in a rush to meet someone and left the salon thinking it would be ok with a bit of gel or spray when I get home.

Well that was your main mistake... if you're not happy you have to complain there and then. That's like going back to a restaurant the day after and being all "on reflection, I wasn't happy with my meal yesterday, can I have a refund?"

In my experience, Peter Mark/Toni & Guy stylists don't listen to what you want done with you hair, and if they do, many have no idea how to achieve it. They give you what they think you want - usually the same 'fashionable' style that everyone else has at the time - as opposed to what you actually want. I think you're far better off going to a small, experienced, independent hairdresser. I get mine done in Donegal, too, cos it's cheaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've found from experience too that the bigger salons don't really listen to what you want. I've gone a few times to different ones and have never been happy.

I go to a local one now, but they are really good, take time to find out what you WANT and give tips and personalised advice.

Even the last time I wandered into a big name salon, just to buy some conditioning product, I was left waiting at the counter for about 10 minutes before I walked out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

I was getting my hair done in a well know salon for last 3 years but the last few times I'd gone in I was left waiting a good 30 mins before the girl even started doing my highlights and then left waiting for a basin to be ready to wash my hair.
    Decided to change salon and i'm much happier - was waiting 10 mins in the new salon once and when I was leaving I got a bag of hair treatment goodies as an apology for the delay - good customer service I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

one time in toni and guys of galway, after they had washed my hair they kept me waiting 50 minutes! my hair was wet so i wasn't going anywhere. i saw m hairdresser move from the client before me to a fella who walked in from the street, no appointment or anything! m hair was actually dry by the time they got to me. i have no idea why i put up wth that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've been going to my hairdresser for the last three years and I've never had anything less than fantastic service from them. I always have my coat and bag put in the cloakroom for me when I arrive, I have never waited more than a few minutes to be looked after, the stylists and colourists always go through exactly what I'm having done and I'm told the price before they start anything on my hair. They also always offer me tea/coffee/hot chocolate, they even do wine, and if you want you can order a sandwich (though obviously you pay for that!) Even the bathroom has tampons and a bowl of sweets in it. I really like my hairdressers. Seriously, if you're getting awful service, find a new salon to go to, there are others out there that are worth the money

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Ditto with Fishie, i have been going to my hairdressers for about 3/4 years and the service is top notch. I appreciate them for knowing exactly what i want, and i feel that they appreciate me for repeat business and all the people i recommended them to.

Even today, i told my hairdresser that the colour didnt last too long the last time and so she suggested an alternative which i was happy with, and said if it fades quickly again to give her a buzz and she'll sort it out - that's looking after the customer!

It is OK to wait a few minutes as understandably there are busy periods in any salon, but if you are asked to wait, you should be at least offered tea/coffee and a mag to keep you occupied, and an apology for the delay. Any reasonable person would appreciate that. 15 minutes of being ignored is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭coco85

...I'd definitly ring and complain to management- it might save you 150 euro in the long run...

And if you like the cut and colour.. you can be almost certain that you will not be kept waiting again!!!! They stylists will all know that you were the lady who complained and will be bending over backwards to keep you happy and to ensure you do not complain about anything again!!!

I have a friend who works in customer service and basically those who complain about any aspect of the service they received where she works get extra TLC the next time they return to her company...(i know everyone should get treated with the same service/respect etc.. but we don't live in a perfect world and thats just the way things are where she works!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

Fishie wrote: »
    I've been going to my hairdresser for the last three years and I've never had anything less than fantastic service from them. I always have my coat and bag put in the cloakroom for me when I arrive, I have never waited more than a few minutes to be looked after, the stylists and colourists always go through exactly what I'm having done and I'm told the price before they start anything on my hair. They also always offer me tea/coffee/hot chocolate, they even do wine, and if you want you can order a sandwich (though obviously you pay for that!) Even the bathroom has tampons and a bowl of sweets in it. I really like my hairdressers. Seriously, if you're getting awful service, find a new salon to go to, there are others out there that are worth the money

I think I know the hairdressers your on about because I go to one of their branches too and i have to say, i love goin in. Its a bit on the expensive side but its my hair im getting done and believe that you get what you pay for! oh and the head massage when your hair is just washed is fab!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Just to confirm, (I have not read all posts)

Everyone here complaining about waiting tomes had there appointments booked?

You can't count it as a problem if you walk in off the street and are waiting a while. However for appointments you should always be seen within 15 minutes of the appointment time. After that a very good explaination and a 10% discount should take place.

Thank god I am a lad adn go to a proper full on Mans Barber shop. Great chat and have regularily waited over an hour to get a 15 minute haircut.

Then again it costs me €10 for my haircut!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If I make an appointment I expect it to start at the appointed time but if i just wander in off the street, i don't really mind waiting 15 minutes or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I find any of the "brand name" places leave you waiting, even if like me you're usually one of the first booked in on a weekday morning. I go to a place near my house, they use the same products, but the girls there give me a simple cut (I can't be arsed doing my hair every morning), and listen to me when I worry about hair colours lasting. Not huge difference in price, but big difference in how I am treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I've been going to the same salon for about eight years.

That being said, the length of wait times I've spent there over the years is utterly appalling. I'm usually shampooed quickly enough after getting there, but from the time I walk in to the time I leave is often somewhere around two hours. (Sometimes longer, because I get my hair straightened every six weeks or so). Forget waxing -- waiting in a hair salon is one of the worst parts of being a "well-groomed" woman!! :p

If my stylist is running really late, she makes a pitcher of some alcoholic goodness. (Of course, that only makes her later, but keeps the clients happier.)

And yet, given the results I've gotten from going to other salons, it's easier than finding someone else that I like! Perhaps I'm just a glutton for punishment . . .

Advertisement