Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Defenders - 3 for 13.5-14M

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

united2k11 wrote: »
    could anyone recommend a defender that would be alright for 4m? I seem to have a decent team but need to fill in the last defender sport and have 4m left . thanks!

As posted previously I was told Liam Moore at Leicester would be a 4 mil starter by a Leicester fan. I'd never heard of him but on Wikipedia he looked decent enough.

England U21 international, Fulham bid for him last January and 33 appearances last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

rosskind wrote: »
    Dummett's a left back, right? I thought Santon was pretty good. Wouldn't mind a Newcastle defender at 4.5m to start.

Had another chat with my mate on this, he's pretty sure Dummett will get good gametime but not at the start of the season. Unlikely to start in the first few GW's. I guess it's between Wisdom, Hutton and Moore! Not a crucial decision as he'll likely be 2nd or 3rd choice sub, so you shouldn't need him for the first few GW's. The issue with Moore is obviously the fact that Leicester have a horrific start to the season and you wouldn't start him anyway! More chance of getting minus figures. But if you have any ambition to hold on to your WC it's important to put some thought into this position as it could save you a transfer down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,934 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lemlin wrote: »
    As posted previously I was told Liam Moore at Leicester would be a 4 mil starter by a Leicester fan. I'd never heard of him but on Wikipedia he looked decent enough.

England U21 international, Fulham bid for him last January and 33 appearances last season.
    Where in the defence is he likely to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Chico to leave Swansea

Neil Taylor looks less appealing to me now, although I guess it depends on who they replace him with. Could also bring Bartley at 4.0m into a starting role

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Any ideas for a 4.5 million defender?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Any ideas for a 4.5 million defender?

There's lots; Neil Taylor, Williamson, Coloccini, O'Shea, van Aanholt, Dunne, Ferdinand and Chester are just some of those who I think are good picks in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Anyone got a line on Stoke's backline?

Pieters, Wilson or Cameron? Bardsley too!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Anyone got a line on Stoke's backline?

Pieters, Wilson or Cameron? Bardsley too!

I thought Huth would be in there but Hughes appeared to start his first team last night and went with:

Bardsley - Shawcross - Wilson - Pieters

Shawcross would be the only certainty to be honest.

CSF wrote: »
    Where in the defence is he likely to play?

Central defence or right back. I know nothing about the lad tbh. Just asked a girl in the office from Leicester who supports them and she recommended him as a 4 mil starter.

She regularly flies over to games so she should know in fairness. I'll ask her next week where he normally plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Anyone punting on Chambers for the first few weeks, what with Mert yet to kick a ball and Arsenal's opening fixtures congestion???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

manual_man wrote: »
    Anyone punting on Chambers for the first few weeks, what with Mert yet to kick a ball and Arsenal's opening fixtures congestion???

Yep. Same as Jenkinson last year, should be good for a few early games and price rise. Arteta for 5.5 will start too and is on a few set pieces, might be a good 5th mid for opening weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Ok, most of the cheapie defenders have completed their preseason, I've been watching the 4.0m possibilities' fortunes closely, here's a summary of wherever they stand in my opinion which may be of help to some.

Leicester.
    Moore seems nailed on by all reports. Wasilevski a maybe. But awful awful fixtures to start, you wouldn't want to be having to call on them much.

Hull
    They played 352 in both Europa games, a formation which saw Bruce start as one of the three CBs. However when they switched to 442 midway through the second leg he was taken off. They seem to be gearing for 352 in which case I think he'll start, but quite a bit of risk attached. Tempted to chance this one myself, think he'll play GW1. McShane has also played a bit but I suspect Bruce has a better chance.

Burnley
    Duff will almost certainly start next week, and will continue unless they sign a replacement. However this does seem likely so he may not play come September. In the meantime they also have a pretty terrible start at home especially.

Swansea
    Bartley starts as it stands but a new signing seems imminent possible before GW1. Have looked dodgy at the back so far preseason too. Don't think I'd go near him tbh.

WBA
    Have played 4231 preseason and so far Wisdom has been starting at RB, and seems set to start the season the, however will be under pressure immediately from Gamboa. He can play CB but there is competition there too. Risky but could pay off, although I personally think there won't be too many clean sheets in this team. Also, Chris Baird has played quite a bit preseason and played 90 mins in their last game and also the the third last one at midfield in the pivot so could be worth monitoring.

Newcastle.
    Paul Dummett and Steven Taylor have both seen gametime preseason but it always seemed likely that Janmaat and Haidaira would be first choice, and their lineup for yesterday's final friendly pretty much confirmed that. No go.

Villa
    Alan Hutton is back in the fold and pretty well nailed on at full back. First three fixtures not too back but after that it gets very sticky, with last seasons top 4 one after another. Pretty bad defence too.

QPR
    One of a number of teams apparently going 352 and Yun got a few mentions around here, however from what I can see he got very little gametime in their friendlies and the wing backs will be Simpson and SWP. Non runner also.

Southampton.
    Targett is a miss.

As far as I can see that's the lot, slim pickings. Anyone who can add to or contradict this list please go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

Nice round-up. I think Isla will be the RWB for QPR though, maybe not from the start due to his late arrival after the WC but certainly long-term.

Wisdom for me. Not confident on clean sheets but he'll be on my bench anyway and WBA's injuries and decent fixtures will do til the hidden gems reveal themselves.

As someone on two 4.0m defenders :o, this is helpful. Currently have Moore and Duff, but thinking about Hutton just for GW2.
    FHFC wrote: »
    Swansea
    Bartley starts as it stands but a new signing seems imminent possible before GW1. Have looked dodgy at the back so far preseason too. Don't think I'd go near him tbh.
    The supposed signing is Fernandez who went to the World Cup with Argentina. So Bartley would probably still start GW1 (not that you would want him starting at Old Trafford) and maybe GW2. So that would be a very short term punt.

As someone on two 4.0m defenders :o, this is helpful. Currently have Moore and Duff, but thinking about Hutton just for GW2.

The supposed signing is Fernandez who went to the World Cup with Argentina. So Bartley would probably still start GW1 (not that you would want him starting at Old Trafford) and maybe GW2. So that would be a very short term punt.

Working on having two myself, hence the study!

Thinking Wisdom and a risk on Bruce maybe.

I'm going with Taylor, O'Shea, Coloccini and Moore. 16.5 for 4 defenders.

Terry and De Gea then complete the defence.

Working on having two myself, hence the study!

Thinking Wisdom and a risk on Bruce maybe.
    The thing I like about Moore and Duff right now is that they have very low ownership and are nailed on (barring transfers). Bruce has a very high ownership so could be susceptible to price falls; even Wisdom is up at 7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

Good defensive units aren't always obvious at the start, like Southampton last year and later Palace. I avoid doing anything fancy, just go cheap on defenders with good fixtures (even if they're only playing through injuries, like Wisdom) and get ready to make some early transfers.

I'm going with Taylor, O'Shea, Coloccini and Moore. 16.5 for 4 defenders.

Terry and De Gea then complete the defence.

Taylor of Swansea presumably? Something up with your sums there! 17.5m I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭skippy15

The thing I like about Moore and Duff right now is that they have very low ownership and are nailed on (barring transfers). Bruce has a very high ownership so could be susceptible to price falls; even Wisdom is up at 7%.

Yes but both have shocking fixtures in first few weeks, so maybe one risky 4m and a safe 4 bench fodder. even hutton seems better option

• Advertisement

Jesus, Bruce 20.8%, mental and a good point you make. If he doesn't play his value will drop like a stone!!

skippy15 wrote: »
    Yes but both have shocking fixtures in first few weeks, so maybe one risky 4m and a safe 4 bench fodder. even hutton seems better option
    Yeah, I've got Azpi and Evans who will start every week (at least I hope Azpi will.....). My 4.5m defender is Rio who has not so nice GW2 and 4. Plan would be to start Duff GW2 at Swansea and then either Moore (Stoke A) or Duff (Palace A) in GW4. Not ideal, but not terrible

Taylor of Swansea presumably? Something up with your sums there! 17.5m I think...

You are correct. I only got back from hols at ten tonight so brain still not functioning!

Due to freeing up .5 mil in my team, I have now upgraded Taylor to Pieters from Stoke.

You are correct. I only got back from hols at ten tonight so brain still not functioning!

Due to freeing up .5 mil in my team, I have now upgraded Taylor to Pieters from Stoke.

Take a look back at the friendlies thread, Pieters may not be nailed on....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

De Gea, Terry, Pieters, Caulker with Hutton and Moore.....

Just doesn't sit right for me, need a replacement for Caulker maybe? Defence has me puzzled this season especially those last 2/3spots.

I emailed them about Jerome Williams at Palace and they said he would be added soon. Hopefully at 4.5m although I wouldn't be confident he's nailed ahead of Mariappa.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

DeGea
    Chester Debuchy Coloccini Pieters Moore

A little over the budget, but can't think of any better options to allow me for 4x9m midfielders + Rooney and Costa.

If Pieters doesn't play I am in trouble though - I really want Stoke player for the first 2-3 weeks. Unless they concede a lot in the first 2 of course.

Can't wait to acivate the wildcard:D

Take a look back at the friendlies thread, Pieters may not be nailed on....

I expect him to start tbh. If that changes by next weekend, I'll go with Bardsley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I emailed them about Jerome Williams at Palace and they said he would be added soon. Hopefully at 4.5m although I wouldn't be confident he's nailed ahead of Mariappa.
    He plays on other side of the pitch to Mariappa.:confused::confused:

Advertisement