Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

The same argument could be made regarding di Maria impact on utds formation and mata.
    I already own He who must not be named ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

8-10 wrote: »
    Have we speculated on his cost yet? I'm guessing 10

He's got a very average goalscoring record while at clubs that were head and shoulders above 90% of the other teams in the league, he's also slow enough to have a go, he's a demon for assists certainly but there's no way I would pay more than 9m for him at the moment and wouldn't even be tempted by that until I see how they line up with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

He's got a very average goalscoring record while at clubs that were head and shoulders above 90% of the other teams in the league, he's also slow enough to have a go, he's a demon for assists certainly but there's no way I would pay more than 9m for him at the moment and wouldn't even be tempted by that until I see how they line up with him.

Liverpool and utd fans will flock to Balotelli and di Maria without considering there likely FF impact. It could well result in short term price drops for rooney mata sturridge and sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

The same argument could be made regarding di Maria impact on utds formation and mata.

Agreed, i wouldn't spend a transfer on mata or sterling but if you have either i'd recommend a hold and see approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Dilemma. Do I start Lovren v Spurs or McCarthy v Chelsea?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Dilemma. Do I start Lovren v Spurs or McCarthy v Chelsea?

Well I wouldn't expect Liverpool to keep a clean sheet against a plastic bag but even so stranger things have happened and he could grab a goal. If you have a defender worth 5.5 or more you really should be playing them. McCarthy could get something but its very unlikely.

I'd say neither really :pac: but Lovren I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Well I wouldn't expect Liverpool to keep a clean sheet against a plastic bag but even so stranger things have happened and he could grab a goal. If you have a defender worth 5.5 or more you really should be playing them. McCarthy could get something but its very unlikely.

I'd say neither really :pac: but Lovren I guess.

See my team is -

Krul (Mannone)

Debuchy, Terry Dummet (Lovren, Cameron)

Siggy, Sanchez, Fabregas, Ramsey, McCarthy

Costa, Rooney (Vaz Te)

So as you can see the bench is quite weak :o All my starters have good fixtures though so my only dilemma is Lovren or McCarthy. So I guess Lovren and hope for a clean sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Shedite27

These next 6 days really could change your entire team at this stage. Any of the 4.0 or 4.5m defenders could be replaced/sold, anyone sold could mean someone else stepping up, any big names landing in could send a huge surge in purchases which could drop other players. One of the key parts of the season IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Di Maria added at 9.5m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Di Maria added at 9.5m

Plenty with take that but I would see him as the assist type rather than goal scorimg. While it looks tempting I would have doubts.

Means Sanchez will drop big time now though from 10.5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Di Maria added at 9.5m

That's a fair price by comparison to some of the other new players/prices this season!

Won't be in any huge rush to bring him in just yet as his price is surely reflected in the fact that the FPL Gods don't see Di Maria solving all of UTD's problems when you think that Ozil came in at 10mil last season i'd have expected the same(i'd rate Di Maria higher personally).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Seems far too expensive for me anyway. His career stats would suggest he is a six goal a season man with little more than double that in assists. As well as that I think it's important to note that he has been playing in free scoring dominant teams for almost his entire club career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

+1 wouldn't touch him at 9.5m, prob not even at 9m.

From Real Madrid to a mid table team in England and priced higher than Fab & Ramsey - no thanks.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Similarly, won't be touching him until I see what position he'll be playing, what system United will be playing and if their form picks up.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It's a nice pricing I think. The extra 0.5 doesn't make him a straight forward swap yet he's not too expensive to discount. Could see a number of -4 hits made in the next week or 2 to bring him in.

I wouldn't be discounting him and he can only improve the team and therefore other assets around him however I'll be keeping Mata and Rooney and see where the next few GWs go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Nearly 2,500 people have transferred in Di Maria already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

So Giroud isout for 6 months?

Nearly 2,500 people have transferred in Di Maria already!

Hilarious, he won't even play this weekend. He's gone back to spain to sort out personal stuff.

Some people don't know how to play this game! God bless the casuals, imagine if all 3 million players were hardcore players! :eek:

It's amazing to me that out of 3m people that probably only 5 to 10% are decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Eto added at 6m. Meh.

Man U to be relegated, list amongst the most popular bets at present on oddschecker.com :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Man U to be relegated, list amongst the most popular bets at present on oddschecker.com :pac:

Them to win the league is there too, both are equally unlikely.

uvoktW7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Them to win the league is there too, both are equally unlikely.

uvoktW7.png

Well...according to the bookies one is 71 times more likeky than the other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

+1 wouldn't touch him at 9.5m, prob not even at 9m.

From Real Madrid to a mid table team in England and priced higher than Fab & Ramsey - no thanks.

I thought he joined man united? finished outside the top 3 once since the premier league began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hogey007 wrote: »
    I thought he joined man united? finished outside the top 3 once since the premier league began.

Only last season's (as a guide) and this season's stats count on this forum :pac:

13th in the table at present, 7th last season.

Hey - I've 3 of their players but I was wrong, they are a mid table team now in my eyes.

When you can't be confident they'll beat Burnley and are afraid you've overloaded with 3 players against them what does that say?

Neil Warnock is the new Palace manager. A shame really as even if they brought in a Sherwood or something the attacking players may have been cheap enough to be viable options.

Will be staying well clear for the foreseeable future now I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

A shocking appointment

Dinosaurnock will take them down

13th in the table at present, 7th last season.

Hey - I've 3 of their players but I was wrong, they are a mid table team now in my eyes.

When you can't be confident they'll beat Burnley and are afraid you've overloaded with 3 players against them what does that say?

You're seriously going by a league table after 2 games.....jesus wept!!!

sounds to me like you're someone who grew up supporting a team that wasn't united and is now a little bitter towards them but hey i could be wrong ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

zarquon wrote: »

It's amazing to me that out of 3m people that probably only 5 to 10% are decent.

I would say less than 1% to be honest. It would be easy enough to finish in the top 30k every year if you put your mind to it.

I would hardly class myself as decent with a 300k finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

FHFC wrote: »
    Eto added at 6m. Meh.

He will be a good choice for a 3rd striker if he starts every game up front.

• Advertisement

roryc wrote: »
    I would say less than 1% to be honest. It would be easy enough to finish in the top 30k every year if you put your mind to it.

I would hardly class myself as decent with a 300k finish!

I was being overly generous to not upset people. When i say decent i meant people that at least give some consideration to their team.

If you are talking about good players then i agree that 1% is probably about right. My worst ever finish in 7 years was about 70K but that was a year where i barely looked at my team due to an otherwise busy life. With a bit of effort i would expect to be inside 20K every year. I am putting a lot more effort in this year so would be dissapointed if i can't make 5K as a minimum.

Colin wan*ker. What an awful appointment. Puncheon had some very harsh words about him on twitter a while back which have popped back up again. Hard to see him dropping him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I am putting a lot more effort in this year so would be dissapointed if i can't make 5K as a minimum.

5k is very difficult, I would set 10k as a target. Anything above that is largely down to the rub of the green.

You're seriously going by a league table after 2 games.....jesus wept!!!

sounds to me like you're someone who grew up supporting a team that wasn't united and is now a little bitter towards them but hey i could be wrong ;)

Ah god i was only joking re the 13th place (taking the piss proving my point), no need to throw your toys out of the pram. Why would anyone be bitter these days? Laughing stock lately from what i can see!

I simply meant going forward I've downgrade my optimism over united for FF purposes, I'll be treating them like they are an Everton or southampton until they prove to me otherwise. (this isn't the football forum hence my comments)

BTW I was a glory glory Man U fan once upon a time - it was boring - coming home as a kid asking what score did United win rather than did they win? I stopped supporting them the day they beat Ipswich 9-0. Supported Newcastle for pure entertainment purposes from that day on (and it's certainly been that). Most of my friends are Man U fans, so you could prob class me as a closet Man U fan to a degree. I've zero resentment of Man U.

Bit touchy? Where do you think they'll finish this season out of interest?

roryc wrote: »
    5k is very difficult, I would set 10k as a target. Anything above that is largely down to the rub of the green.

Agreed, but i prefer the challenge of 5K and it's very doable i think. I've always finished close to 10K with minimal effort so i should hope for a better standing if i put more energy into the game. It'll take that to win some of my mini leagues.

Agreed, but i prefer the challenge of 5K and it's very doable i think. I've always finished close to 10K with minimal effort so i should hope for a better standing if i put more energy into the game. It'll take that to win some of my mini leagues.

It often works the opposite way! More effort..more frustration..worse results!

qwabercd wrote: »
    It often works the opposite way! More effort..more frustration..worse results!

Yeah, that could happen and would be very frustrating. To finish 12K with minimal effort and finish 10K with huge amounts of effort would also be equally frustrating.

There's a certain amount of luck to this game too though and that is the unknown variable that can fluctuate standings by a few thousand over a season. For instance i had 5 players get injured between GW 36 and 37 last year with no WC available and my ranked dropped by nearly 10K in those 2 weeks and i finished just outside of the cash prizes in my main mini leagues. You cannot for such misfortune but likewise good fortune can also happen as anyone with Terry or Lukaku last year can attest to. ;)

Ah god i was only joking re the 13th place (taking the piss proving my point), no need to throw your toys out of the pram. Why would anyone be bitter these days? Laughing stock lately from what i can see!

I simply meant going forward I've downgrade my optimism over united for FF purposes, I'll be treating them like they are an Everton or southampton until they prove to me otherwise. (this isn't the football forum hence my comments)

BTW I was a glory glory Man U fan once upon a time - it was boring - coming home as a kid asking what score did United win rather than did they win? I stopped supporting them the day they beat Ipswich 9-0. Supported Newcastle for pure entertainment purposes from that day on (and it's certainly been that). Most of my friends are Man U fans, so you could prob class me as a closet Man U fan to a degree. I've zero resentment of Man U.

Bit touchy? Where do you think they'll finish this season out of interest?

bit touchy? toys out of the pram? ha ha I don't think so, if I was i'd have used this guy :mad: instead of ;)

think with the current team the best we can hope for is top 4, a couple more signings before Monday could change that but at present I think it's a two horse race between Chelsea and city, arsenal could get involved if they got a decent striker, I see United fighting it out with spurs, Liverpool and maybe everton for the 4th spot.
    And no I wouldn't be overly confident of them beating burnley at the weekend either, it's going to take time for the team to gel but over the course of the season i'd like to think they'd get their act together, get champions league, another couple of good signings next summer and be back fighting for the league next season.

I was being overly generous to not upset people. When i say decent i meant people that at least give some consideration to their team.

If you are talking about good players then i agree that 1% is probably about right. My worst ever finish in 7 years was about 70K but that was a year where i barely looked at my team due to an otherwise busy life. With a bit of effort i would expect to be inside 20K every year. I am putting a lot more effort in this year so would be dissapointed if i can't make 5K as a minimum.

What are your previous finishes?

• Advertisement

I think 4th is the best they can hope for - but they look in disarray at present and are blowing their good opening fixtures (so far).

I guess my overall point was they aren't title challengers, they aren't the united of old but are being treated that way FF wise (including by myself). People got caught up in meaningless preseason form. They are more playing like a mid table team or probably worse at present - if you'd switched the shirts on Sunday you wouldn't have had a clue who was who and that included Mata & Rooney.

I did make the point on this thread (or another on this forum) I'd wait the week before start bailing on their players with the possibilities of signings. If anything I'm more unconvinced so far, as probably looking at another systems change to fit in DiMaria and they have yet to address midfield (box to box type or DM) or add anyone to Rojo. If anything it looks like they could be more unbalanced and there will be a settling period but sure by then it will be into the harder fixtures.

I've 3 players for Saturday, but if there isn't a massive bounce back it will be a cull by me. The fixtures were 'too good' but form over fixtures as they say.

Lemlin wrote: »
    What are your previous finishes?

Circa 15K give or take a couple of K most years. Last year was the first time i entered cash and prize leagues so it's giving me more motivation to put more effort in now. Usually i stopped trying too much (i.e. just looking at the team for a few mins on Saturday morning only) after a while as i never saw the point in chasing rankings with no tangible benefits.

Circa 15K most years.

Any chance you could just post your actual finishes?

You said above you've "always finished close to 10K with minimal effort" and that has now dropped 5k places to "Circa 15k most years".

You'll have to forgive me for being awkward but I'm always sceptical of people saying such and such a position is easy when they have never actually achieved same.

Any chance you could just post your actual finishes?

You said above you've "always finished close to 10K with minimal effort" and that has now dropped 5k places to "Circa 15k most years".

Based on 3m players a 5K differential is 0.16% I would call that close but you may disagree;)

Anyway i'm sure you'll find my rankings if you try hard enough in the forum mini-leagues. I won't post here as i'm fairly sure i have friends browsing this forum and wouldn't like to give away too much identifiable info. I only found this sub forum last year because i happened to see one of my friends had joined the boards.ie league and i went looking for the thread to see if he was posting on boards.

Anyway differrent goals for different folks. I have set myself a goal of 5K which i think is needed however if i win my primary leagues with a rank of 20K i'll be just as happy.

Based on 3m players a 5K differential is 0.16% I would call that close but you may disagree;)

Anyway i'm sure you'll find my rankings if you try hard enough in the forum mini-leagues. I won't post here as i'm fairly sure i have friends browsing this forum and wouldn't like to give away too much identifiable info. I only found this sub forum last year because i happened to see one of my friends had joined the boards.ie league and i went looking for the thread to see if he was posting on boards.

Anyway differrent goals for different folks. I have set myself a goal of 5K which i think is needed however if i win my primary leagues with a rank of 20K i'll be just as happy.

You've finished 15k on two occasions and 16k on one occasion. This is your 8th season playing the game. Your top finish ever was 15234. It is fairly impressive though that your worst ever finish was 73k.

As for identifiable information, your team name is over on the FSA Premier League thread so its not very hard for anyone to find :pac:

You've finished 15k on two occasions and 16k on one occasion. This is your 8th season playing the game. Your top finish ever was 15234. It is fairly impressive though that your worst ever finish was 73k.

As for identifiable information, your team name is over on the FSA Premier League thread so its not very hard for anyone to find :pac:

Yeah, the 73K year was one where i hadn't done much with my team for a few months and lost lots of points by not changing captaincy and rotating bench etc. Sometimes life gets in the way of FPL ;) The months where i did manage my team i was able to correct the slide somewhat and jump back up the table. Had another couple of years like that. Generally when i check my team at least once a week throughout i finish around 15/16K. I was annoyed last year as i put some effort in in the last 4 months after i found this forum as i wanted the PL H2H place. I was 4K with 3 weeks to go and then injuries destroyed my team and i completely capitulated.

If i finish 15K again this year i'll be pissed off as i've put more effort and analysis into my team in the last month than i have in the whole of previous years.

Not too worried about the PL thread, none of my friends are in there! I still don't like my team name published though but c'est la vie.

An interesting aspect of improving rankings is playing against better opponents. Usually my opponents struggle to finish within 100K bar 1 or 2 so generally i was used to coasting through leagues without much effort. The mini leagues here are of a very high standard so i am motivated to do a bit better to keep my head above water.

• Advertisement

Not too worried about the PL thread, none of my friends are in there!

That doesn't stop them reading it though!

That doesn't stop them reading it though!

I think we need a hidden private forum like the mods have. :D

It's annoying to have google ranking this forum high with hits for my team name. The same is true for everyone else here. This only really hit me in the last month and so i will ensure to change my team name on an annual basis going forward.

I know for sure that my one of my main competitors browses this forum but does not post. Unlike me, he is not willing to give away anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Spurs have signed centre-back Federico Fazio from Sevilla. Think Lloris would be the safest way into their defence at the moment until we see what Poch's first choice back 4 will end up being.

Spurs have signed centre-back Federico Fazio from Sevilla. Think Lloris would be the safest way into their defence at the moment until we see what Poch's first choice back 4 will end up being.

I'm just waiting for Dier to be tossed out on his arse. Can't wait for that bandwagon to burn.

I agree. Have been saying it since last week now. Trouble is Lloris is about to go up in price according to most of the sites.

• Advertisement
Advertisement