Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

durkadurka wrote: »
    you're lucky lads. I've had a season ticket with Leinster for 4 years now and I'm not 100% sure my missus knows which team I go to watch, or which sport it is.

Def lucky. We're getting married next year and her suggestion for the honeymoon was the Lions tour. It'd be rude not to now! :D
    4PP wrote: »
    Why would you fly to Nice?? Its over 6hrs from Clermont, Lyon is 2h30 & Bordeaux a bit more than 4h!

Weather wise it would be best if the away game was first up. It may be cold & wet but a lot less chances of snow or ice.

Sorry I meant Lyon obviously.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

molloyjh wrote: »
    Def lucky. We're getting married next year and her suggestion for the honeymoon was the Lions tour. It'd be rude not to now! :D
    Hmmm. Me too. I wonder if I can convince mine to go to Oz. She is in to rugby too. This could go one of two ways. LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

molloyjh wrote: »

As someone who had a Leinster themed wedding all I can say to you is, screw that sh1t and go to mexico :D.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Leinster are having an open training session in Greystones this Friday at 12 for those who might be interested.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10083.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Leinster are having an open training session in Greystones this Friday at 12 for those who might be interested.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10083.php

I'd go if it didn't clash with The Batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Just wondering, do we reckon Leinster will bring out an updated jersey with three stars over the crest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Just wondering, do we reckon Leinster will bring out an updated jersey with three stars over the crest?

had they not already updated it for the Rabo Final?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

It was on sale at the RDS during the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If that was the case then surely they must have made them prior to actually winning the HC. It must take more than a week to get an order in and recieve it, no? If so would've sucked if we hadn't won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

WeeBushy wrote: »
    If that was the case then surely they must have made them prior to actually winning the HC. It must take more than a week to get an order in and recieve it, no? If so would've sucked if we hadn't won!
    Supplier would have it all set to go. They'd forecast a certain number of sales in advance and from there the lead time wouldnt be that long. I'd say they just okayed it the night of the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The ones they've been selling up until now have had the stars added after the fact. The "official" 3 star jerseys won't be out until next month apparently. The stars that are on them at the moment are a slightly different colour. Was chatting about them to one of the guys in the Leinster store a couple of weeks ago.

Did anyone make it out to the Pre-season training in Greystones today?

This is a letter a friend asked me to write - he works a sports rag in Dubai and wanted a letter on Leinster's preseason build up. Thought I'd throw it up here, although it's really just all the stuff we've already discussed regurgitated. :D

The current defending three-time European champions Leinster start pre-season training under the public eye today in Greystones RFC. No doubt they'll draw a decent crowd at the popular spot, and all eyes will once again be upon Leinster when they kick off against Scarlets in the opening weekend of the Pro12 league, and once again Leinster will be forced to play with a seriously understrength team - it's becoming a speciality of this team to play against the odds during the opening weekends and still come away with points, but will it happen again?

To put things into perspective Leinster start the season without the following players due to the IRFU's Player Welfare system; Brian O'Driscoll, Fergus McFadden, Gordan D'Arcy, Rob Kearney, Jonathan Sexton, Eoin Reddan, Jamie Heaslip, Kevin McLoughlin, Cian Healy, and Mike Ross. Now, add to that list the current injured players; Sean O'Brien, Luke Fitzgerald, Eoin O'Malley, Dave Kearney and Rhys Ruddock to name just the usual league first starters.

With such a dirge on the song sheet one must wonder what kind of plan Joe Schmidt and co have to tackle the issue. Signings haven't been fruitful this year due to ongoing talks with the IRFU over the issue of Non-Irish eligible players, yet that doesn't explain the signings Leinster have made. Four in versus the five out, and not exactly like for like replacements either. Brad Thorn has gone back to the Japanese league, White has left to go west where he'll undoubtably be a starter in the Connacht team, Ciaran Ruddock didn't cut the Mustard, Matt Berquist has answered Biarritz's prayers while the most disappointing of the leavers must be Eamonn Sherridan who flies out to Rotherham - for such a big man we all had high hopes he'd be our Jamie Roberts in disguise.

So who's replacing them? The biggest issue Leinster have had is in the second row. Thorn was an outstanding replacement for Hines and whilst their ilk are not common one would've presumed we'd fight tooth and nail to secure someone like Anthony Boric or Donnelly, instead we've signed reasonable unknowns in the form of Tom Denton (Leeds) and South African U-20s impressing Quinn Roux (stormers). The issue is with Cullen on his way out surely experience is the answer here? Maybe Leinster had a limited hand, or maybe they're looking Roux as a project, but as far as anyone can tell Roux is here for a year and then back off to the Stormers. Doesn't exactly make sense…

Michael Bent for all intensive purposes could be a like-for-like replacement for White, although nowhere near in the same category in regards to Super Rugby time - reports from Kiwi fans seem to paint Bent as a more solid scrummaging option that lacks a little pace around the fringes, it'll be interesting to see what Jono makes of him. One of the issues however is he's part of the ITM cup and we won't be seeing him in a Leinster jersey till atleast October.

Which brings me to our final signing - Andrew Goodman (Tasman). This one went under the radar, whilst the other signings were being whispered about by people close to the setup, Goodman was seemingly a total surprise to a lot of people. There's great speculation as to weather or not Goodman is the type of quality Leinster should be looking for. He been advertised as a playermaker-cum-boshing-centre, which may be exactly what Leinster need. The idea presumably is that he fills in nicely whilst Fergus, Gordan and Luke Fitzgerald are out to help the likes of Macken and O'Shea in the midfield - however, here's the kicker - Goodman is currently captaining his Tasman side in the ITM cup, which means once again this signing won't be here until atleast October. That leaves Leinster extremely light on the ground in terms of centers till atleast November, at which point the Internationals will all go back to their duty in the Autumn series. A lot of weight will be put on the shoulders of the newcomer, and what happens if Leinster suffer an injury to either Macken, O'Shea or Reid in the build up to that?

To summarize; Leinster are once again threading on thin ice when it comes to player numbers. Should they start plundering AIL teams for players to bridge the gap? It's my opinion they should not; the ITM cup is nothing to sniff at and the signings like Goodman might be another bit of tactical genius by Schmidt. The team however will need to hit the ground running with limited numbers, and this year you feel the team won't be happy to come second best in the league a fourth year in a row.

My prediction? 9 points from the first three league games, with a loss away to Scarlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

That's a good article, maybe they'll syndicate you!!

Its very worrying the lack of depth that we have going into the first few weeks of the season. We are realistically looking at a back line of

Boss, Madigan, Reid (Marsh), Maken, Nacewa, Carr, Conway

Cooney, Reid (marsh), Hudson (Boyle)

This leaves us already very vulnerable at centre, but an injury to anyone leaves us calling up virtual nobody's to match day squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

.ak wrote: »

5 minutes from my house and i was stuck in work!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'm going to the one in Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Jack McGrath is monstrously big at this point. The LR site says he's put on another couple of kilograms which I'd well believe looking at that photo.
    INPHO_00614894.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

he was 19 stone 8lbs playing in the jwc a few years ago so hes surely heavier and leaner since then. probably pushing 20 stone and 6'1. perfect dimensions for a prop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

He's a monster!!

Is there something wrong with Madigan's knee, he has it taped up in the photo's. The last thing we need is more injuries

Has there been any official report saying Goodman won't be coming over until after the ITM?

Seeing as its a short term back up signing is weird that they would get someone who's missing for the part of the season when he would be presumably most needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

To summarize; Leinster are once again threading on thin ice when it comes to player numbers. Should they start plundering AIL teams for players to bridge the gap? It's my opinion they should not; the ITM cup is nothing to sniff at and the signings like Goodman might be another bit of tactical genius by Schmidt. The team however will need to hit the ground running with limited numbers, and this year you feel the team won't be happy to come second best in the league a fourth year in a row.

Just as well Madigan and Toner didn't travel to NZ. ;)

I'm also not sure about the ITM Cup bearing in mind that Peter Borlase was the Canterbury TH prop that won the cup the year he moved to Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jm08 wrote: »
    I'm also not sure about the ITM Cup bearing in mind that Peter Borlase was the Canterbury TH prop that won the cup the year he moved to Munster.
    To make matters worse Rodney AhYou was his backup.

There's always a silver lining. :D

Yeah. It's unknown, but whilst we can't compare the ITM cup with the Pro12, I think it's fair to say it's a decent professional league and I'd rather we take players from there to paper the cracks than plunder an amateur league with possibly disastrous consequences.

• Advertisement

Also Jamie Heaslip says he's back training next week. The internationals really got feck all time off didn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Also Jamie Heaslip says he's back training next week. The internationals really got feck all time off didn't they?

May be back earlier than the others as he missed the third test didn't he?

I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock in front row play in the ITM Cup. Propping is a very different affair in the NH with much more emphasis and you rarely see an antipodean side particularly strong in the scrum. They're solid at best at the top level but not much below that. Very few props from NZ/Australia have come north and been a big success. Afoa is as good as I've seen and his biggest weakness is probably the scrum. He had a rough enough day in the HEC final against Healy. White was a good player but Pro12 and middle tier HEC opposition was about his standard.

The ITM Cup is superb in terms of skill levels which is where NZ have always excelled. The likes of David Holwell and Jimmy Gopperth were big NPC players. Obviously Goodman won't be in their class, they'd be internationals if they were Irish. However, they're an example of the level of outhalf that regularly plays in the tournament. I would say Troy Nathan would be a decent comparison. Not a bad player and a big bloke who can cover 10, 12 and 13 and would be a regular for one of the weaker Pro12 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

for all intensive purposes

Great article.

I wouldn't normally comment on grammar but gIven that it's going to be published I think you probably meant "for all intents and purposes"

:-D

padser wrote: »
    Great article.

I wouldn't normally comment on grammar but gIven that it's going to be published I think you probably meant "for all intents and purposes"

:-D

Pfft, I'd be very surprised if that's the only mistake in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Seems like the big Boys are back training tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wow Joe seems to be in a great mood anyway!

Interesting points from those videos:

Goodman definitely won't be coming over until after the ITM, same as Bent.

Denton seems like a lovely chap.

Saw Browne training in one of those clips, so I presume he's staying on as well.

Thanks for the post Hagz.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Goodman definitely won't be coming over until after the ITM, same as Bent.

Not good in terms of Goodman, great (in my opinion) in terms of Bent. It means, well at least I hope it means that Martin Moore should make 1 or 2 appearances.

I have to commend the people who put up the videos on the site. Every week they've got an interview with a different person etc. It's great.

Who's doing the interviews? He's very well spoken, and natural.

Peter Breen, I assume. Leinster's media officer.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/profiles/6206.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I don't know who it is, but I know it's not Peter Breen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

We had Peter Breen on the podcast one time, it's not him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

could it be reggie? richie murphy implied he had played with (against?) the interviewer...

• Advertisement

I've never heard Reggie speak but it makes sense as he's a Greystones man. I'll ask a mate of mine who does some coaching work with Greystones and the branch, he should know.

I think, whoever it is, is great though. No offense the usual guy that does them, but I find the usual vids a little.. awkard?

I don't think it was Reggie, or it didn't sound like him to me anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlyKUrYWYng

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Lads, do any of you know which player is currently on crutches? Im sitting in a restaurant now, he's here with Kearney and Drico, can't figure out who it is.

Eoin O Malley maybe?

Dave Kearney maybe? Isn't he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Rhys Ruddock?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

It's probably Dave Kearney. I saw Eoin O'Malley on crutches at Mumford and Sons and he looked like he would be off them soon, and that was over a month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

SOB Rhys and Dave recently had hip operations so should be on crutches. EOM was recently on crutches so one of those four probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Seán O'Brien

2m3mptx.jpg

Rhys Ruddock

2vumuxf.jpg

Dave Kearney

676owm.jpg

Eoin O'Malley

2hrl3if.jpg

Any of those look familiar?

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Lads, do any of you know which player is currently on crutches? Im sitting in a restaurant now, he's here with Kearney and Drico, can't figure out who it is.

So who was it then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement