Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervision & Substitution.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

theLuggage wrote: »
    As far as I remember you can't actually opt back in. I was told this when I opted out - to consider what I may be losing out on down the road. Don't regret it yet anyway!

Can new staff opt in? Why they'd want to is a mystery, but I'm just wondering how that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

New staff I'd presume can, and actually knowing the Dept, may not even have a choice about it. Someone else may be able to clarify??

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

If you are on a maternity leave contract and you do the S&S and you complete the required hours; and then you move to a different school on a different
    contract must you do S&S all over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

katydid wrote: »
    Can new staff opt in? Why they'd want to is a mystery, but I'm just wondering how that works.

new staff can't opt out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Teachers can't sign up for S&S they are either in it or they have already paid to be out of it, there won't be any extra teachers to sign up (unless they are newly graduated which they dont actually have a choice they are already in it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

Found the following on the ASTI website:

"Teachers must be advised at the start of the school day whether they are required for their substitution rota period(s) for that day and therefore teachers are not required to be on call throughout the school day."

Can anyone advise if this is the case for all teachers in all schools, i.e. TUI and non-union teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

xtralong wrote:
    Can anyone advise if this is the case for all teachers in all schools, i.e. TUI and non-union teachers?

Should be. We used to get a text at the start of every day saying if we're needed, now we check vsware.

Should be. We used to get a text at the start of every day saying if we're needed, now we check vsware.

Am I right in thinking that if you're not told you are needed in the morning that you don't have to remain in the school for your on call periods that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Interesting. I thought you had to be on call I.e. Be in building somewhere. What happens when teacher at 11.30 needs to go him sick?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Interesting. I thought you had to be on call I.e. Be in building somewhere. What happens when teacher at 11.30 needs to go him sick?

Curious about this myself. Found the following further info. on the ASTI website:

"There is a long standing agreement between ASTI and the management bodies that teachers must be told at the start of the school day whether they are required for their rota period(s) for that day."

Wondering if this was just for ASTI teachers or applied to all teachers, can't find anything else about it in Dept. Circulars. For example, if a teacher is on call for substitution after their last timetabled class of the day and they haven't been informed that they are required to sub can they leave the school?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

TheDriver wrote: »

... what would happen if the on call teachers were all 'called upon' and another teacher needs to go?

We used to sit in the staffroom waiting nervously by the phone for the whole on-call time, until it was decided that you had to be notified by the morning. I think that was due to a union agreement somewhere though.

If there's a non-on-call teacher in the staffroom could they do it and get paid a substitution rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Only if they are not full time and only if they haven't opted out (unless its certified leave etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Is that a memo on VSW? Beats checking noticeboards and missing it.

Is that a memo on VSW? Beats checking noticeboards and missing it.

On yer VSW timetable or dashboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    On yer VSW timetable or dashboard

Same here. It shows up in a different colour on VSware before the 9am class.

solerina wrote: »
    Same here. It shows up in a different colour on VSware before the 9am class.

So if you're not notified in the morning that you are needed to sub are you obliged to be in the school during your on call periods?

xtralong wrote: »
    So if you're not notified in the morning that you are needed to sub are you obliged to be in the school during your on call periods?

That I don't know.. technically no if you haven't been notified in time. they (DES) were trying to push for this a while ago... in that you were supposed to be on the grounds from school open to school close.

xtralong wrote: »

No, although I have been called during a class that wasn't on VS ware once or twice when it was needed...I suppose if I had left the building they couldn't have had an issue though !!

No, although I have been called during a class that wasn't on VS ware once or twice when it was needed...I suppose if I had left the building they couldn't have had an issue though !!

That would come under the category of 'doing someone a favour'... therefore consider yourself now 'owed a favour'.

That would come under the category of 'doing someone a favour'... therefore consider yourself now 'owed a favour'.

Nope, it was a supervision class that hadn't previous been put up on vs ware, asked by Principal, doesn't happen very often to be honest.

• Advertisement

Nope, it was a supervision class that hadn't previous been put up on vs ware, asked by Principal, doesn't happen very often to be honest.

Once you're not given proper notice then you don't have to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

It's not really how a school works either though, if someone rings in sick late, or goes home sick, or needs to leave to pick up a sick child etc. Personally I've no issue doing supervision with late notice since it'll count towards hours. I accept that I don't have to. The issue is you're not giving the department the two fingers when you refuse, you're just inconveniencing your colleagues.

Once you're not given proper notice then you don't have to do it!

I know that, it has only ever happened 2 or max 3 times and as I was sitting in the staff room correcting I didn't mind.

Advertisement