Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think its fair parents bring young babies on flights for a holiday ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Not this **** again.

It only feels like a couple of weeks since the last 'babies on flight thread'.

Allow me to summarise;

Those without kids:
    'No, children/babies should never be allowed outside their home until they are 18years old. The sight of a baby in an airplane/restaurant/anywhere else I happen to be, is very upsetting to me.'

Those with kids
    'You have no understanding what it's like to have kids and I really don't give a **** what you think anyway you selfish bastards'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

probably beats leaving them at home on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 2 springwest

well, it is really a troublesome thing to travel with a young baby, but it depends on everyone's will, some people like to travel with their babies, so i think it do not exist about fair or unfair matter, just as you like

Our eldest was 2 the first time we took her to the Caribbean. We flew via London and she was sitting in between us. When we landed in Florida, the couple behind us were shocked there was a small person in the seat as there wasn't a peep from her. We go as a family every year to the US. Being prepared is key. I fill a little rucksack for each of them with new toys/sweets/books/colouring stuff and they have to mind their own bag. Doing this important job takes great concentration from them ;) (eldest is I now) I wouldn't dream of not hiring a car over there. DH was very apprehensive about it at first...it'll be grand, I told him....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

wexie wrote: »
    Don't know why it wouldn't be fair? Ours are 3 and 5 now and they love going on a plane, it's a big adventure and there's always something good at the other end, being a holiday or coming back home after a holiday.

It's all in how you present it to the child and how you act yourself while travelling. If you get all stressed out it's not going to be a pleasant experience, if you're going 'on an adventure' it can be great fun.

If you read the original post, 3 - 5 they have some idea whats going on, a baby 2-3 months old has no idea whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

2-3 months old has no idea whats going on.

2-3 months would be easy to bring away

the 2-3 year olds would be ticking time bombs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I would be completely the opposite way, the boat is a doddle compared to a Campervan trip to the south of Germany from here.

E.G. from Eindhoven to Freiburg with a Campervan you need to split it up about 2 days otherwise its not really worth it.

Most of my German friends have kids, Dutch friends, maybe half of them.

Would you not drive overnight? We used to leave friday evening, kids asleep in the back, parents taking turns driving and we'd be in Spain saturday afternoon. Kids need a lot less entertaining when they're asleep :)

I know a campervan is slower but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Some have to. I have many cousins who have moved overseas from Ireland for employment/relationships etc so of course they want to travel home and see family.

I personally hate babies on planes, and will sit as far away from one as possible, but that's just cause they're noisy. Doesnt mean they shouldnt be allowed though.

Also think its a little unfair to bring young babies to very warm climates.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

One way of equalizing the ear pressure in young kids/babies is to give them something to eat/breast/bottle at takeoff. Same effect as adults chewing gum.

Personally, I know I will fly with my child once it's born - simply because I live here in Ireland, and my family are in Germany. I do want the child to have contact with his/her grandparents, and while they will visit us here, it's a two-way street.
    I'd say the child will be about six months old when we'll fly first. thankfully it's only a short-ish flight, about 2 hours.
    Long-haul, though, definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

xzanti wrote: »
    Took my Son to Lanzarote when he was 6 months old.. no problem at all, pressure seemed to have no effect on him.. he was sucking a soother while landing anyway.

Took him to the same place for a second time at 2 and it was a little trickier tbh.. he did get restless and bored..

Took him again at 2.5 and this time I brought lots of puzzles and play doh etc for him and he was fine.

Also, if your child is over 2, Teedex is your best friend.
    yup, like i said, up to 12 months is grand over 2 and a half-3 is grand, in between is very tough but like someone said it's all in the preparation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

It's the parents that have young ones acting the maggot, all the while blissfully unaware as they have their headphones on and are ignoring the child, that need a good smack in the head.

And for those of you implying kids shouldn't be allowed on planes....can I just ask if you're aware Ireland is, in fact, an island, and therefore surrounded by sea?

Absolute nail on the head. I don't mind a crying baby - in fact, they are usually not crying for long, plus, there are lot more annoying noises on an aircraft so noise cancelling headphones FTW.

What headphones can't do is stop kids behind or in front of you jumping up and down, banging your seat etc.

Had to ask two kids recently to stop banging my chair while their parents had their head stuck in an i-pad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

seamus wrote: »
    Sun holidays with a baby (i.e. under 2) - what's the point? You can't go out and sit on the beach all day with the child, you can't go out for dinner and get half sloshed, and they'll be uncomfortable as hell in the heat and won't sleep.

Well, I wouldn't say it's pointless but it's definitely different.. it's really a case of structuring the day around the baby..

Lounging on the beach and sipping cocktails by the pool is replaced with long walks with the pram and making sure the baby is kept hydrated.

We just had our evening meal a little earlier than usual and didn't really drink much alcohol, maybe a couple of glasses of wine when we got back and he was asleep.

We're all entitled to a Holiday, even new parents.. just don't expect it to be anything like the holidays you had when you were childless.. cause you're in for a shock :D

But it's lovely for what it is

Would you not drive overnight? We used to leave friday evening, kids asleep in the back, parents taking turns driving and we'd be in Spain saturday afternoon. Kids need a lot less entertaining when they're asleep :)

I know a campervan is slower but still.

Car I would drive at night no problem, some of the roads are just too crappy for driving a campervan/caravan at night for it to be safe.

E.G. There are parts of road in SW Germany and Basically all of Belgium with two trenches melted into them, if you hit them the wrong way the caravan/camper can start swaying all over the place and you end up having to buy new trousers.

Smaller camper like a VW T5 would be doable, but quite small for 2-3 kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Should we fly the young babies out of Ireland to somewhere cooler when it gets above 25degrees too?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

I can't see the problem with bringing a baby on a flight. I have been on countless flights where there's been one or more babies on board, and let's face it, the worst they'll do is cry. I think it's unfair to expect the parents to have to either leave their child with a child minder or with other members of their family just to save the sensitive ears of a few fussy passengers. I know I wouldn't.
    My wife is expecting our first in a few weeks and since we travel a lot, we will be including our child in all our journeys, obviously once we get over the initial shock to the system ;)
    Since we'll have this new member of the family, I will want to experience different places, cultures etc with them, regardless of how young they are or if they remember it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Car I would drive at night no problem, some of the roads are just too crappy for driving a campervan/caravan at night for it to be safe.

E.G. There are parts of road in SW Germany and Basically all of Belgium with two trenches melted into them, if you hit them the wrong way the caravan/camper can start swaying all over the place and you end up having to buy new trousers.

Smaller camper like a VW T5 would be doable, but quite small for 2-3 kids.

Hadn't thought of that, never driven a big campervan but I can see how that would be pretty scary alright.

In a bigger campervan could the kids sleep while you drive? Or does everybody need to be seated while driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I've heard mixed opinions on this one.

Basically on the continent (I work in Germany and live in the Netherlands) most people I know wouldn't dream on going on a flight with a young baby (young meaning under a year old), mainly because:

A. Babies can't/don't know how to equalise and it can be very painful even as an adult if you are congested etc when flying.

B. There's plenty of places you can drive to or simply go on a holiday close by with the ferry.

C. They simply stay at home and use their days off to spend time at home doing stuff and organise activities to do in the local area, they'll put off foreign holiday altogether until the kids are old enough to carry their own stuff, understand whats going on.

D. Travelling anywhere with a baby when you don't have a car is a pain in the hole.

In Ireland I've seen the complete polar opposite, with people going off to Mediterranean destinations with babies a few months old.

Why is this the case ?

Myself, I don't see the point, why put yourself and your child through that much hassle just to get a bit of fun in the sun, Ireland has some great spots to go to and enjoy yourself without flying anywhere.

Ireland does have some great spots, but the weather is not guaranteed. As a fellow passenger you might say, why does that parent put themselves through 2 hours of entertaining a baby just to get a week of sun, but if they go to Bundoran, the parent could easily spend a week of entertaining a baby in a small hotel room, looking out at rain.

I used to live abroad and I am sure I annoyed the bejaysus out of my friends and family with statements like "Why do the Irish do bleh, over here they do blah and its much better...". In Germany you can drive to Spain, Croatia, even Azerbajzhan, and you can bring the mother in law, and the kitchen sink with you. Things are different in Ireland. To get to France, its a choice of airline or ferry. To a parent with a small child that boils down to "Two hours in a confined space to entertain the child, or 14 hours in a confined space to entertain a child? I'll take the two hours I think".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

probably beats leaving them at home on their own

Oh I don't know, maybe leave them with a hape of Micro Machines and some paint tins, bag of nails etc and they'll have a great time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

My first flight was at 6 weeks old and I slept through it. For the first 10 years of my life I travelled regularly including annual flights from Botswana to Ireland and return. I'm glad I had that too. I may not remember all the places I've been to but I have the story and the travel big and the urge to go back to all that again. It certainly never did me any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Not a theory, its based on having a groups of friends/acquaintances from three different countries.

Also if you saw the amount of Dutch Campervans/Caravans in the summer you'd get the idea.

I never said they should be, simply asked do you think its fair on a young baby when they have no choice.

And im saying based on my circle of friends and people I've met on holiday...bringing babies on flights is the done thing on the continent.
    You never asked was it fair on the young baby when they have no choice. You're thread title asked should babies be allowed on flights and your opening post referred to how you think things are done on the continent and whether, for a a variety of reasons a baby should be allowed on a flight. You never asked if it was fair on the child though.

To whoever said about it being unfairon other passengers...thats rubbish...drunk larger louts top the most annoying passengers by far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

OldNotWIse wrote: »

What about babies who are born in warm climates? What are they meant to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I will be flying out in August with an 18 month old. This is the 4th time he has flown and 1st 3 times were fine, bought ipad and other things to keep him occupied (he like to use the drawing app makes him giggle). We only fly to Liverpool (oh parents live there) but i think as long as you are prepared you should be ok, besides it's not like we can put them in the luggage hold:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

It's not so much the flight part with kids, but more that I don't see the point of bringing a small child on a sun holiday or even foreign holidays in general. They won't appreciate or remember it at all. I know the parents might like a bit of sun but I've seen people overseas with small kids on holidays and it looks more like work than a holiday- besides how dangerous the sun is for their delicate skin. Obviously sometimes travel due to emigration etc can't be avoided.

Also I don't mean to sound old fashioned but when we were younger my parents brought us on holidays to places like Wexford, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Galway and to be honest we'd probably have better memories from those than the odd time we went abroad.

I was down in Dunmore East a few summers ago and there was a dad (I assume) with his little girl, she was about 3. The weather was only ok, dry but overcast. She had a little wetsuit on and I've never seen a happier little girl splashing around having a ball- she wouldn't have known or cared whether she was in Waterford or Tenerife. I just think you're better off saving the foreign holidays till they're a little older to appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Many of my family and friends live abroad and have kids, they travel to and from Ireland regularly.
    Many people are married to non-irish nationals who go home to their families on occasion with the kids.
    Many People work abroad and their family come and visit them.

My kid was on 6 different flights before she was 1 year old and none of them for 'holidays'.

How can the OP possibly not understand that Ireland is an Island and flying is by far the easiest and fastest means of transport.

I recently drove to Poland, took 3 days with the kids, a flight from door to door would be about 5 hrs all told..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We've brought our lass on a few flights. Once you're organised its not that difficult and shouldn't really be disruptive for others. We don't have a screamer anyway, if our child was very difficult we'd look at other ways of traveling but she's slept most of the flights we've taken. Older children who are let kick seats and run riot are far more irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

Maybe you should ask your continental friends if it is 'fair' to bring young babies on a 20 hour car journey to Spain or France or wherever. Personally I'd prefer a 2-4 hour flight with a young baby than a painfully long car journey in an overpacked car.

I've brought my son on a few flights and except for one 6.30am flight he was as good as gold and not a peep out of him. On the other hand, the grumpy f*cker in front of us on one flight who kept kicking his seat back and hitting my son in the head made a complete show of himself and I now feel grumpy f*ckers should be banned from flying.
    We met a couple in france (St.Just-Luzac Charente-Maritime France) from holland wives got chatting at the pool as kids where playing together, they were astounded at the cost we incurred just to get to the same holiday destination, they left holland at night time, kids slept in car and 8-10 hrs later they are in the same spot for the price of a couple tanks of petrol, unfair to kids no, as for planes, we've had ours on planes from a young age and someone else stated they are your problem not other passengers, be prepared control them as best you can but have consideration for other passengers and likewise i expect that consideration back, both now 6/9 heading off next week it because its not a new experience they'll be great, own bags, packed lunch and snacks some money to buy a drink onboard tablets with games and movies they wont be a bother to anyone, its the ones who sit and get pissed and extort sure they're only kids what can we do are the out and out assholes and thats coming from a parent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I've heard mixed opinions on this one.

Basically on the continent (I work in Germany and live in the Netherlands) most people I know wouldn't dream on going on a flight with a young baby (young meaning under a year old), mainly because:

A. Babies can't/don't know how to equalise and it can be very painful even as an adult if you are congested etc when flying.

B. There's plenty of places you can drive to or simply go on a holiday close by with the ferry.

C. They simply stay at home and use their days off to spend time at home doing stuff and organise activities to do in the local area, they'll put off foreign holiday altogether until the kids are old enough to carry their own stuff, understand whats going on.

D. Travelling anywhere with a baby when you don't have a car is a pain in the hole.

In Ireland I've seen the complete polar opposite, with people going off to Mediterranean destinations with babies a few months old.

Why is this the case ?

Myself, I don't see the point, why put yourself and your child through that much hassle just to get a bit of fun in the sun, Ireland has some great spots to go to and enjoy yourself without flying anywhere.

Here sunshine (what an apt term in this case) the reason people in Ireland do this is because we live on a fooking island.
    You are on about people in Holland using campervans.
    Well bright spark they can drive down to south of France, Italy or even Spain.
    We have to take a flight or face a very expensive ferry ride (yes it is damm expensive Ireland to France at height of season) plus a drive of at least 10 plus hours added to it to get to anywhere near the south of France nevermind Spain or Italy.

A lot of Irish people would stay at home if we had any decent weather, as in the last couple of weeks.
    But normally we don't and it is never guaranteed.
    You know maybe people with families would actually like to see a bit of sun for a week or two of the year.

Come back to us when you live in ireland, have kids and have been looking at pi**ing rain in kerry or Galway for two fooking weeks.
    There are many circumstances where it is necessary for people to fly with young children in my opinion, going on holiday isn't one of them. I'd include children up to at least seven years of age in that.

So people with families should not fly, particularly for holidays.
    Is that what you are saying ?
    Get this little point through your head, whilst some of the kids may be over 7 others may not.
    Are parents meant to wait until all the kids are in their teens before they go on a decent foreign holiday ?
    You could have spent the first year of your life in Disneyworld and you wouldn't remember a single solitary thing about it.

What's the point?

Yeah but the babies siblings may be 5, 10 or 13.
    Should they not get a chance to experience it ?
    Not a theory, its based on having a groups of friends/acquaintances from three different countries.

Also if you saw the amount of Dutch Campervans/Caravans in the summer you'd get the idea.

I never said they should be, simply asked do you think its fair on a young baby when they have no choice.

Do you have a map of Europe or even look up google earth/maps and then see if you can spot the blue stuff that surrounds Ireland but doesn't surrond Holland, Germany, etc.

That is fooking water mate and unless you have a special campervan you would get very wet driving it from Dublin to Nice.
    Of course you could take a ferry which only adds €1600 odd to your trip cost.

Let me ask the posters who are anti kids flying if they have any kids ?
    And yes it does make a difference and causes one to start thinking about other things rather than your-fooking-selves.

PS I have flown with kids but over last couple of years have taken ferry since you can pack more stuff for them and it is less hassel than airports.
    I have always endeavoured to make sure my kids don't annoy other people, but reasoning with 2/3 old is not always easy.
    And yes there are those parents that don't give a sh**, just like they are those numpties who seem to think anyone with kids should not be allowed have a life at all.
    Just rememebr my kids will probably (hopefully at least) be the taxpayers of the future contributing to your healthcare and nappies you will be wearing when you will be pi**ing in your pants in a dodgy hospital.
    Hell I might even hope one of them may even be doctor that is giving you a jab in your wringly old ar**es.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Meangadh wrote: »
    It's not so much the flight part with kids, but more that I don't see the point of bringing a small child on a sun holiday or even foreign holidays in general. They won't appreciate or remember it at all. I know the parents might like a bit of sun but I've seen people overseas with small kids on holidays and it looks more like work than a holiday- besides how dangerous the sun is for their delicate skin. Obviously sometimes travel due to emigration etc can't be avoided.

Why do you think looking after a child in Wexford is easier than looking after a child in Portugal, Spain, or Croatia where food, drink and baby sitters are much cheaper? As i said in my post above, if you think looking after a small child beside a pool with waiters bringing you drinks is hard work, try doing it in Kerry when its raining in June. I'm not being negative towards Ireland, I love this little country, I'm being realistic.

I remember going on sun holidays with my parents. Lets see, my sister wasn't there, so I was 2 at the oldest, and all I needed was a spade and bucket, and the day stretched out in front of me, with wondrous possibility. Now to enjoy the beach I need a Martini in my hand and be surrounded by girls.

And im saying based on my circle of friends and people I've met on holiday...bringing babies on flights is the done thing on the continent.
    You never asked was it fair on the young baby when they have no choice. You're thread title asked should babies be allowed on flights and your opening post referred to how you think things are done on the continent and whether, for a a variety of reasons a baby should be allowed on a flight. You never asked if it was fair on the child though.

No my thread title said:
    Do you think its fair parents bring young babies on flights for a holiday ?

I don't think what you experience on Holidays is valid, if anything your looking at a Microcosm of the people that have done something a certain way rather than a wider majority of people that are from someplace that do something a certain way.

Similarly I wouldn't base my opinion of Dutch people off of Dutch people I have met while on Holidays.

The Germans, people seem to think that they reserve Sun Loungers from 6am with towels.

That's not my experience and I've lived here for 6 years and traveled to quite a few countries by Car/Flights (Including Ireland by ferry)

Whether its right or wrong doesn't really matter to me, I just don't see the point and neither do most German/Dutch friends I know.

Another friend is heading off next month to Eastern Germany with his wife and three kids.

Another German guy I know from Bavaria that lives in Duesseldorf is heading to Ireland on his third trip with the P&O Landbridge to Ireland, spending three weeks down around the south in Kerry/West Cork with his Wife and 2 kids.

• Advertisement

What bothers me more, are the people who scowl and moan at the parents as if the parents deliberately set the kids off crying.

I always found that the situation is made worse by grumpy feckers pissing and moaning about a child crying. Lets face it, they do stop ( after a while :pac:)

It usually just ends up flustering the poor parents more, and in turn making the childs behaviour worse.

Advertisement