Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think its fair parents bring young babies on flights for a holiday ?

Options
  • 12-07-2013 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭

I've heard mixed opinions on this one.

Basically on the continent (I work in Germany and live in the Netherlands) most people I know wouldn't dream on going on a flight with a young baby (young meaning under a year old), mainly because:

A. Babies can't/don't know how to equalise and it can be very painful even as an adult if you are congested etc when flying.

B. There's plenty of places you can drive to or simply go on a holiday close by with the ferry.

C. They simply stay at home and use their days off to spend time at home doing stuff and organise activities to do in the local area, they'll put off foreign holiday altogether until the kids are old enough to carry their own stuff, understand whats going on.

D. Travelling anywhere with a baby when you don't have a car is a pain in the hole.

In Ireland I've seen the complete polar opposite, with people going off to Mediterranean destinations with babies a few months old.

Why is this the case ?

Myself, I don't see the point, why put yourself and your child through that much hassle just to get a bit of fun in the sun, Ireland has some great spots to go to and enjoy yourself without flying anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bkavanagh

long flight - NO

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bkavanagh

unless its really necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There are many circumstances where it is necessary for people to fly with young children in my opinion, going on holiday isn't one of them. I'd include children up to at least seven years of age in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Is it fair? Yes, everyone is entitled to do what they want.
    Would I do it? Completely different question, haven't been in the situation yet.

Everyone in Ireland loves a bit of sun once a year, on the continent they can drive to reach whatever it is they like, so its a bit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not? families are allowed holiday too you know!
    Remember the crying baby of today is Boards moderator of the future, so dont pi4s them off:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If they want to go ,they should go. There's no reason to be concerned for the welfare of the child at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,685 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Meh, Its not your child.

Id love to be brought places as a child. There is not swimming pools outdoors in ireland that are fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Speisekarte

I went to The Canaries with 14 month old. Never again, it's not a holiday, its hard labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Flying with a small baby is a doddle, it's when they are between 1 and 3 is the problem.

Myself and my wife travelled from galway - dublin- amsterdam - portland, oregon (10 hour flight) with a 5 month old and it was a breeze.

We made the same journey when she was 2 and i felt every inch. She's a good kid and didn't bother anyone but keeping them from getting bored is serious work on a long haul.

No she's 3 and we have another 6 month old and we're heading to the south of france in a few weeks and i'm not a bit nervous. The baby is too small to care and the 3 year old is old enough to understand and will just do her colouring and stuff till we land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

listermint wrote: »
    Meh, Its not your child.

Id love to be brought places as a child. There is not swimming pools outdoors in ireland that are fun.

You could have spent the first year of your life in Disneyworld and you wouldn't remember a single solitary thing about it.

What's the point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Know plenty of people on the continent who have flown with young babies. ..ive met people on holidays who have flown there with young babies so I wouldn't follow your theory that its not the done thing on the continent at all.

No babies shouldn't be banned fron flights

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Nothing worse than being stuck beside a screaming child/baby for a long flight.

Don't think it's fair on both the child and also the other passengers. Personally think they should only be on long flights when absolutely necessary (moving etc).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

"I'm letting them cry it out" has been the starting point of most non-alcohol related air rage incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Know plenty of people on the continent who have flown with young babies. ..ive met people on holidays who have flown there with young babies so I wouldn't follow your theory that its not the done thing on the continent at all.

Not a theory, its based on having a groups of friends/acquaintances from three different countries.

Also if you saw the amount of Dutch Campervans/Caravans in the summer you'd get the idea.
    No babies shouldn't be banned fron flights

I never said they should be, simply asked do you think its fair on a young baby when they have no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Flying doesn't have to be torture for babies. I brought mine to the UK when she was four months old and she slept for the entire flight (although, to be fair, it's only an hour long). The people sitting behind us actually laughed when I stood up with her at the end of the flight as they hadn't realised there was a baby in front of them at all.

She's two and a half now and the thought of flying anywhere with her brings me out in a cold sweat. Although, having said that, I can see that she's getting to the stage where it will become doable in the next year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Very hard to comment on what is 'fair' with regard to other people. As for me, I wouldn't dream of bringing a young child on an overseas holiday. Too much hassle for all concerned and of no benefit to the child itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

There's no reason not to, ours have been on many flights, both long and short haul, from the age of 5 weeks in one case.
    The problem is that a lot of parents aren't prepared very well (or at all) to make sure they're entertained and not harassing other passengers.

If you're bringing young kids on a plane you should make sure that they remain your problem and not become someone else's. Make sure there is plenty of food, drink and entertainment and it needn't be a problem at all.

It's the parents that have young ones acting the maggot, all the while blissfully unaware as they have their headphones on and are ignoring the child, that need a good smack in the head.

And for those of you implying kids shouldn't be allowed on planes....can I just ask if you're aware Ireland is, in fact, an island, and therefore surrounded by sea?

Not a theory, its based on having a groups of friends/acquaintances from three different countries.

Also if you saw the amount of Dutch Campervans/Caravans in the summer you'd get the idea.

I never said they should be, simply asked do you think its fair on a young baby when they have no choice.

That's because in Holland you can hop in the car in the evening and be pretty much anywhere in Europe the following day...(heavy foot, maybe not so much in a campervan but you get the idea)

Whereas here it's 16 hours on the boat to get to France...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Speisekarte

You could have spent the first year of your life in Disneyworld and you wouldn't remember a single solitary thing about it.

What's the point?

But they still would have enjoyed it regardless of remembering.

Don't know why it wouldn't be fair? Ours are 3 and 5 now and they love going on a plane, it's a big adventure and there's always something good at the other end, being a holiday or coming back home after a holiday.

It's all in how you present it to the child and how you act yourself while travelling. If you get all stressed out it's not going to be a pleasant experience, if you're going 'on an adventure' it can be great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

wexie wrote: »
    There's no reason not to, ours have been on many flights, both long and short haul, from the age of 5 weeks in one case.
    The problem is that a lot of parents aren't prepared very well (or at all) to make sure they're entertained and not harassing other passengers.

If you're bringing young kids on a plane you should make sure that they remain your problem and not become someone else's. Make sure there is plenty of food, drink and entertainment and it needn't be a problem at all.

It's the parents that have young ones acting the maggot, all the while blissfully unaware as they have their headphones on and are ignoring the child, that need a good smack in the head.

And for those of you implying kids shouldn't be allowed on planes....can I just ask if you're aware Ireland is, in fact, an island, and therefore surrounded by sea?

+1

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I've heard mixed opinions on this one.

Basically on the continent (I work in Germany and live in the Netherlands) most people I know wouldn't dream on going on a flight with a young baby (young meaning under a year old), mainly because:

A. Babies can't/don't know how to equalise and it can be very painful even as an adult if you are congested etc when flying.

B. There's plenty of places you can drive to or simply go on a holiday close by with the ferry.

C. They simply stay at home and use their days off to spend time at home doing stuff and organise activities to do in the local area, they'll put off foreign holiday altogether until the kids are old enough to carry their own stuff, understand whats going on.

D. Travelling anywhere with a baby when you don't have a car is a pain in the hole.

In Ireland I've seen the complete polar opposite, with people going off to Mediterranean destinations with babies a few months old.

Why is this the case ?

Myself, I don't see the point, why put yourself and your child through that much hassle just to get a bit of fun in the sun, Ireland has some great spots to go to and enjoy yourself without flying anywhere.

sure why not just keep them locked up in the basement till they are 18 - saves hassle and having to deal with them - pesky kids. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Maybe you should ask your continental friends if it is 'fair' to bring young babies on a 20 hour car journey to Spain or France or wherever. Personally I'd prefer a 2-4 hour flight with a young baby than a painfully long car journey in an overpacked car.

I've brought my son on a few flights and except for one 6.30am flight he was as good as gold and not a peep out of him. On the other hand, the grumpy f*cker in front of us on one flight who kept kicking his seat back and hitting my son in the head made a complete show of himself and I now feel grumpy f*ckers should be banned from flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Is it possible your friends are like minded individuals without kids who have reached a similar conclusion based on an occasional flight , if one of them flew every two weeks on package holidays or worked on aircraft would their view viable ?

Maybe the Dutch just like that way of holidaying , aren't campervans here extremely expensive to buy and maintain , I don't know what our facilties are like for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't think its fair on the child,parents or other passengers, i have a two year old and i would not bring him near a plane at the moment,we will holiday in Ireland until he gets a bit older

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Took my Son to Lanzarote when he was 6 months old.. no problem at all, pressure seemed to have no effect on him.. he was sucking a soother while landing anyway.

Took him to the same place for a second time at 2 and it was a little trickier tbh.. he did get restless and bored..

Took him again at 2.5 and this time I brought lots of puzzles and play doh etc for him and he was fine.

Also, if your child is over 2, Teedex is your best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

wexie wrote: »
    That's because in Holland you can hop in the car in the evening and be pretty much anywhere in Europe the following day...(heavy foot, maybe not so much in a campervan but you get the idea)

Whereas here it's 16 hours on the boat to get to France...

I would be completely the opposite way, the boat is a doddle compared to a Campervan trip to the south of Germany from here.

E.G. from Eindhoven to Freiburg with a Campervan you need to split it up about 2 days otherwise its not really worth it.

The Ferry is great, you park up, have a beer eat your dinner, wake up in the morning and have a shower and then drive off nice and fresh.

I wouldn't see either one being more difficult that the other, the Camper trip you just need to plan a lot better as Stelleplatzes and Campsites fill up quickly in the summertime and you can't camp 'wild' in Germany.
    mattjack wrote: »
    Is it possible your friends are like minded individuals without kids who have reached a similar conclusion based on an occasional flight , if one of them flew every two weeks on package holidays or worked on aircraft would their view viable ?

Maybe the Dutch just like that way of holidaying , aren't campervans here extremely expensive to buy and maintain , I don't know what our facilties are like for them.

Most of my German friends have kids, Dutch friends, maybe half of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong it tbh. A big foreign holiday is probably a bit pointless unless the child is old enough to run around and have fun and appreciate it, but if someone wants to do it, I don't see the problem.

Sun holidays with a baby (i.e. under 2) - what's the point? You can't go out and sit on the beach all day with the child, you can't go out for dinner and get half sloshed, and they'll be uncomfortable as hell in the heat and won't sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

The babies are seldom the problem. More likely it will be the parents who don't prepare the child properly, and don't manage the child properly. Flew all over the world with ours from a couple of months old - never bothered anyone else on a flight, never gave us any trouble anywhere.

Always the possibility I am perfect, I suppose, but unlikely :pac:

• Advertisement

xzanti wrote: »

Also, if your child is over 2, Teedex is your best friend.

and when they're younger : BOOBIES!!!!

My wife used to breastfeed while landing and taking off and one time, just as the plane started quieting down a bit our youngest let out an epic belch that was heard several rows away. Stunned silence at first but when people realised it came from a 6 month old there were quite a few giggles.

Advertisement