Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bandit stories

• 18-12-2014 6:48pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks, the feedback thread is closed so given we're all allowed to create threads I though it may be an idea to leave all these bandit stories in one place and let other threads stay on topic as banditry seems to be meandered into at will and it's not a subject that thrills me.
    At least if there was a home for it hopefully other threads could be more entertaining to read.

Maybe not? :confused:
    Mods, feel free to amend as necessary...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

slave1 wrote: »
    Folks, the feedback thread is closed so given we're all allowed to create threads I though it may be an idea to leave all these bandit stories in one place and let other threads stay on topic as banditry seems to be meandered into at will and it's not a subject that thrills me.
    At least if there was a home for it hopefully other threads could be more entertaining to read.

Maybe not? :confused:
    Mods, feel free to amend as necessary...

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0081633/ the time bandits

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ha ha, good man, slow play and bandits all in you, the perfect cure! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Happy Christmas - 5 shots in the bag for you.

This should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Happy Christmas - 5 shots in the bag for you.

This should be fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Turpin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭freethearmy

theirs 1 good bandit on his way to newforest gc in the new year.....Watch out :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Was down the Atlantic Coast Challenge - a lad said to me that he was off 6 at one stage and said it was too hard (about 6 pints in us each, we were only starting) , so he decided to go out to 9 or so. At the time I had just gone to 6 and was breaking me balls to get 36 points or more or less.

Have taken him up on his advice and got to 6.9 and rising. One day I hope to get to 12 again :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

I think every golf club has its own fair share of bandits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Under no circumstances are there to be players names or clubs mentioned in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

The Pierce Purcell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Mate playing a guy in the semi of the matchplay singles in a club.
    Guy off 17 tells my mate (off 5) that his aim is to get out to 18 as he was playing in the Golf Digest final soon after.

the neck !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

what I don't understand is how a bandit can turn it on when they want. so they jack 20 cards nd get two shots back not concentrating or whatever tactic. then captains day or matchplay finals come round nd they shoot the lights.

if a pro practised sh=te then they would play sh+te in majors. bandits are a species onto themselves and should be studied to the level of a BBC Attenborough show because I am amazed by them.

the Pierce Purcell is not for bandits. its a really genuine fair comp, with upstanding members of golf clubs.

no thats rubbish,

its got more bandits than you could shake a bandit stick at.

what I don't understand is how a bandit can turn it on when they want. so they jack 20 cards nd get two shots back not concentrating or whatever tactic. then captains day or matchplay finals come round nd they shoot the lights.

you assume they are not concentrating.
    on the contrary, they aim for bunkers, pick spots out to hit for, not just on fairways, but on greens too. they might look like they are poor, but in reality they are hitting the ball were they want,

that is from the biggest bandit I ever seen. My dad. played off 17 for years.

cgh wrote: »
    you assume they are not concentrating.
    on the contrary, they aim for bunkers, pick spots out to hit for, not just on fairways, but on greens too. they might look like they are poor, but in reality they are hitting the ball were they want,

that is from the biggest bandit I ever seen. My dad. played off 17 for years.

So your Dad is a bandit ? How does he justify himself ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

A newly formed club.

A 23hcap member that won a major, 4 years ago was off 8, packed it in, came back and handed in 3 cards for 23hcap.

First rd of major- in the last 6 holes had a ten and two nines. 64 nett.

2nd rd- last 6 holes had two eigths and a nine. 68 nett.

won by 4 and is a really popular winner coz he opened up the bar the night of the presentation.

this is really going on, its so so sad.

shabalala wrote: »
    A newly formed club.

A 23hcap member that won a major, 4 years ago was off 8, packed it in, came back and handed in 3 cards for 23hcap.

won by 4 and is a really popular winner coz he opened up the bar the night of the presentation.

How the fook did the club let this happen ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

A newly formed club.

I don't get the bit in bold above. Do you mean out of the last 6 holes he had a 10 on one hole and 2 holes where he had a 9 on each of them and still finished with a net 64. Even if they were par 5s and the par of the course is 70 he would played the other 15 holes in 4 over.

denisoc16 wrote: »
    I don't get the bit in bold above. Do you mean out of the last 6 holes he had a 10 on one hole and 2 holes where he had a 9 on each of them and still finished with a net 64. Even if they were par 5s and the par of the course is 70 he would played the other 15 holes in 4 over.

Correct......... the club didn't ask any questions about his previous hcap. Just taken in as new golfer. Hes off 21 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Guy I know started playing this year. Handed in 3 genuine cards in July and was given 24. Struggled a bit to begin but kept practicing away and now things have started to click. He went out last week in his club and came in with 49 points!

Now in my opinion his handicap is now too high, but he isn't a bandit in that he has always played to his best ability and returned honest cards. But he won't get cut until qualifying comes in again I guess and will probably be regarded as a bandit at his club by then. Is there any measures to address this situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Clubs do have the option of cutting handicaps on observation or for suspected "handicap building". One club rather famously incurred a lengthy (but eventually successful) court case over it.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Clubs do have the option of cutting handicaps on observation or for suspected "handicap building". One club rather famously incurred a lengthy (but eventually successful) court case over it.

Do they do it for unqualifying rounds?

newport2 wrote: »
    Do they do it for unqualifying rounds?

They can

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DiegoWorst

Guy I know started playing this year. Handed in 3 genuine cards in July and was given 24. Struggled a bit to begin but kept practicing away and now things have started to click. He went out last week in his club and came in with 49 points!

Now in my opinion his handicap is now too high, but he isn't a bandit in that he has always played to his best ability and returned honest cards. But he won't get cut until qualifying comes in again I guess and will probably be regarded as a bandit at his club by then. Is there any measures to address this situation?

if your friend's hcp is cut by a number of strokes in the summer months he won't be classed as a bandit. If he doesn't get cut, and comes back the following winter shooting 49pts again.... well tell him to start wearing a mask.

the maximum handicap for a new player should be 18 (some would say 14)
    If he is a genuine 24 handicap, he'll work his way up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Played a guy in the European match play he told me he used to be off 5 but gave up for a year and came back and got a 12 handicap so i was giving him a shot and where he would have been giving me 6 a year eariler.

Think a GUI number should be for life so you can't move clubs without you previous records going with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mickelson

A newly formed club.

i can't believe that he can be proud of himself. no achievement in his win. its like stealing

mickelson wrote: »
    i can't believe that he can be proud of himself. no achievement in his win. its like stealing

Some people appear to be oblivious to this. Have watched award speeches given by people turning in 38-42 points week-in week-out throughout the year and ending the year on the same handicap they started. Either totally brazen or unaware they have done anything wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Correct......... the club didn't ask any questions about his previous hcap. Just taken in as new golfer. Hes off 21 now.

How can he only be off 21 ?

You lose 0.4 per stroke under standard scratch at that handicap. He must/should have been butchered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    the maximum handicap for a new player should be 18 (some would say 14)
    If he is a genuine 24 handicap, he'll work his way up.

He'll probably give up before then, I know I would find it hard not to

I'm playing about a year but have been a member of two clubs. The first I got my HC of 23 when I was presenting a lot of the hosel (ahem) and during winter and never got to play a comp due to the days I was able to play.

Moved club during the summer and got a bit more consistent and got a hc of 20 and played 12 opens this year and now playing of 21.1

The closest I got to a cut was making the buffer after bottling it on the last few holes and we won a team event (5hcp,8hcp,17hcp,20hcp) where the 5 and 8hcp played birdie golf on the back nine and 1st place got DQ'd.

Then my younger brother (junior) got 28 as standard and he's playing off 19 within 7months of sporadic play and plays with me on a regular basis off the comp tee's and is only ever a few shots short of me.

What's keeping him going is this year the improvement and next year hopefully the same, if he was given 18 I guarantee he wouldn't play as much.

There will always be those who abuse it but all you will do is make it harder for a lot of new golfers, bandits aren't restricted to 18+ HCP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Rikand wrote: »
    How can he only be off 21 ?

You lose 0.4 per stroke under standard scratch at that handicap. He must/should have been butchered!

Even more than that, the cuts would be on Stableford card so the 10s and 9s would go back to trebles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

Some people appear to be oblivious to this. Have watched award speeches given by people turning in 38-42 points week-in week-out throughout the year and ending the year on the same handicap they started. Either totally brazen or unaware they have done anything wrong.

I wouldn't think that's a particularly unusual trend though, no ? Apart from the week-in week-out part. If someone is consistently turning in 38-42pts they're surely getting cut at a quicker rate than they can get 0.1s back ? or the CSS is whacky !

If they're not doing it consistently and do it maybe twice a year, I'd say its quite normal to finish where you started or thereabouts. Most golfers play poorly relative to their handicap almost all the time, if they have one or two good rounds where they lose a shot or two, they'll almost certainly have 20 or 30 bad rounds where they get 0.1 without "trying to" get one.

To be honest I think there's a huge element of Chinese whisper or "bar talk" about claims of banditry - not your post above, but in general. Golfers like to talk and exaggerate stuff. We never seem to have a bad day, its always someone else is a bandit.
    IMHO singles comps tend to look after themselves, someone consistently winning 4 balls or team events is where to look for real bandits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Fcuk them thats what I say! I play the game to get my HC down sadly has nt happened yet, but I don't care about winning comps, obviously if it happens Id be delighted but id be more delighted not winning and getting a cut..(The prizes are mainly **** anyway) I constantly have played with auld lads at my club who have been there for years and would be off 24 or that yet getting 3/4 pars a round, always winning something at least once a year, even playing with them you know they should be lower! Im there 3 years and havent even come close..

I asked one fella I know from around the club (nice chap) was he entering the the Captains day and his response was no sure more than likely a bandit will when it and if I did happen to play well and shoot the lights out Id be cast as a bandit! and the winner that won was off 22 with 49 points! my father in law who does play the game, but is from my town told me, seemly lads in the pub were talking about it saying he was caught before cheating and only got a 3 months suspension or something and is know for it etc.. etc... and to top it off only got cut 2 or 3..

but as a member told me they set the precedent by only giving a small suspension the first time..
    so the moral of the story really is your damned if you do & your damned if you dont win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

First Up wrote: »

The GUI also get involved in this and can audit clubs if they suspect their handicap affairs are not being dealt with correctly. I know of a club who were audited by the GUI, did not comply with what was layed down by the GUI from that audit and were subsequently suspended from the GUI until they did comply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

I find a lot of clubs are struggling now so time and staff is in short supply and most are volunteers.

I asked my competition Sec why the results weren't be updated on the club website and he told me he hasn't time check, log onto how do I do if you want the results or the noticeboard in club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Seriously lads, do we really need this thread?? Already enough lads whinging on about bandits and how they can't win anything because of the bandits.

It's the worst thing about this board IMO......:mad:

Russman wrote: »
    I wouldn't think that's a particularly unusual trend though, no ? Apart from the week-in week-out part. If someone is consistently turning in 38-42pts they're surely getting cut at a quicker rate than they can get 0.1s back ? or the CSS is whacky !

If they're not doing it consistently and do it maybe twice a year, I'd say its quite normal to finish where you started or thereabouts. Most golfers play poorly relative to their handicap almost all the time, if they have one or two good rounds where they lose a shot or two, they'll almost certainly have 20 or 30 bad rounds where they get 0.1 without "trying to" get one.

To be honest I think there's a huge element of Chinese whisper or "bar talk" about claims of banditry - not your post above, but in general. Golfers like to talk and exaggerate stuff. We never seem to have a bad day, its always someone else is a bandit.
    IMHO singles comps tend to look after themselves, someone consistently winning 4 balls or team events is where to look for real bandits.

OK, he didn't quite finish where he started, I exaggerated a little. The guy in question is retired, so a lot of .1's regained from midweek play. He started the year off 10 but IMO was about a 6. He's now down to 5, mainly due to the ESR kicking in and cutting an additional 2 shots. He's still turning in over 36 point scores regularly and has admitted he doesn't want to be cut any lower because he won't win. He's a pleasant guy and a very nice golfer. It's just a pity he doesn't see a target as being the clubs best golfer as more worthy than winning weekly comps.

• Advertisement

Seriously lads, do we really need this thread?? Already enough lads whinging on about bandits and how they can't win anything because of the bandits.

Apologies, whinge over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Surely if you don't like whinging about banditry then this thread should be great for you!

All the bandit stories in one place so now all you have to do is avoid this thread and you don't have to hear about it anymore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

To be fair its probably better here than clogging up other threads

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

In my local club when the winter 9 hole comps start all the bandits come out. Couple weeks ago a 21 handicap player had 27 points to win the 9 holes. He went around in two over par.

OK, he didn't quite finish where he started, I exaggerated a little. The guy in question is retired, so a lot of .1's regained from midweek play. He started the year off 10 but IMO was about a 6. He's now down to 5, mainly due to the ESR kicking in and cutting an additional 2 shots. He's still turning in over 36 point scores regularly and has admitted he doesn't want to be cut any lower because he won't win. He's a pleasant guy and a very nice golfer. It's just a pity he doesn't see a target as being the clubs best golfer as more worthy than winning weekly comps.

It would still take quite a lot of effort to score well enough to win regularly, while also playing badly enough to keep his handicap up. If there is a regular, consistent pattern of this, the club has the discretion to take it up with him, either bringing him before the committee or just cutting him to match his better scores.
    We all have a 40 pointer every now and then but if it looks contrived, it probably is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

there are bandits in any club and i'm sure the pierce purcell will have a share in that. I do believe though for some of the players in the pierce purcell they are on an upward curve due to more play and practice so they so shoot the lights out at times.

i dont begrudge anyone really i started out at 21 and i know that it was by playing and practicing more that my handicap has come down to 14. I was also often called a 'bandit' by some due to the fact i was young and could hit it far and sometimes played some decent shots but what they didnt see was the midweek practice i had been doing around the course or the lessons i had been getting.

I am hopeful/confident that i will improve further in 2015 given the work i've been doing. i'll be playing pierce purcell too so i probably more accusations of banditry for me

in my club we renamed it The Fierce Purcell.

It is just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

In my local club when the winter 9 hole comps start all the bandits come out. Couple weeks ago a 21 handicap player had 27 points to win the 9 holes. He went around in two over par.

Well un fairness there is also the winter rules aspect. High guys can tee it up nicely in the rough they wouldn't get out of in the summer where for low guys that doesn't matter so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Sounds like something a bandit would say.

Sounds like something a bandit would say.

You're just still sour about The Open......:pac:

I would change the handicap system - anyone over 40 points gets a handicap drop of 1 shot per point over 40. If they pull then - everyone still has a chance of winning. If they don't they get a drop to bring them back to the pack - if they get a big drop a real golfer would be happier. You could adjust rate of increase too.

Basically an upper limit that you are suppressed too - it would make competitions far more exciting too - as far more golfers would be in the mix and margins of victory would be tighter.

If a lad has a big win - he is back to the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

A guy at our club, won an open recently, 18 handicap. 48 points. Was 3 under for the back nine. 5 birdies on the card !

I would change the handicap system - anyone over 40 points gets a handicap drop of 1 shot per point over 40. If they pull then - everyone still has a chance of winning. If they don't they get a drop to bring them back to the pack - if they get a big drop a real golfer would be happier. You could adjust rate of increase too.

Basically an upper limit that you are suppressed too - it would make competitions far more exciting too - as far more golfers would be in the mix and margins of victory would be tighter.

With the greatest of respect this would be completely Mickey Mouse, back of a fag packet type stuff.

The CONGU system isn't perfect but it's scientifically worked out and reviewed regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DiegoWorst

Your suggestion may well be a good one. However, no matter what you do to change or improve a handicap system - guys will always find a way to fiddle it.

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    Your suggestion may well be a good one. However, no matter what you do to change or improve a handicap system - guys will always find a way to fiddle it.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make it harder for them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement