Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

electric bike

• 03-12-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying an electric bike, Anyone here any experience of them?
    I looked at some in Kenbay Tallagh but i really know nothing about them.
    I don't want it to commute i just want it for leisure. :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

Just want it for leisure? This might not be the best area on the net to ask for help getting the most fun out of powered transport :)

Personally I get a lot of fun out of turning the pedals myself and would feel a bit cheated if a motor did the work. I'll admit that I've thought of e-bikes a few times when I've been cycling into a headwind but for me it wouldn't help as I really need the exercise.

Basically there are two types of e-bikes, cheap and nasty and expensive and well built. Mass production is still a thing of the future for these bikes and may be for some time yet so there's not as much of a middle ground as you'd find in other areas (bikes, motorbikes and cars range from cheap and decent to expensive and probably not worth it, all thanks to decades of research and competition).
    Cheap bikes <1000 tend to be very heavy, have big clunky motors, big clunky batteries, limited range, long charging cycles and generally naff frames and other parts (gears, handle bars, seats etc). Reliability will tend to suffer due to component quality as well as build quality.
    Decent bikes start at about 1300 and go up to around 4k. These bikes will use better motors, batteries, control electronics etc. and better bike bits. You'll also tend to get better control systems for the batteries/motor which will make the whole "cycling" experience more fluid.

Whilst the motors do the bulk of the work the electric motor has been around for a while and is a simple enough thing to build (see all the items in your kitchen) but it's the batteries that are likely to be the most problematic part of the bike. Motors and electronics are (relatively) cheap and easy to repair or replace and for the most part they either work or they don't. The batteries are a consumable, you absolutely will need to replace the battery-pack during the normal life of the bike. The batteries don't just fail they wear out so after each charge you get a little less run time before they need to charge again. Better batteries mean longer run times and a longer time before the pack needs to be replaced. Check out reviews of e-bikes and forums for battery life. Check the cost of replacement packs from your dealer. Unless you're an expert in these things do not buy second hand! It's FAR too easy to get a bike that goes fine for a mile then needs a day to charge up and do it again.

That said, for the price of a decent e-bike you could get a nice little 50cc scooter. Noisier, requiring insurance, tax and petrol but very much a known quantity. Easy to re-sell (buy second hand if you've a mate who knows scooters), plenty of fun and faster than an e-bike. When it breaks you'll have a pretty good idea what it should cost to repair. If you're looking at a high-end e-bike then a nearly new scooter could be a good alternative.

I'm all for real bikes. A very decent one that's only had a few miles on it will come in for well under 600 and will last a good while with little maintenance. You'll get fitter and may find that cycling is fun (not racing like the mad athletes on here but just sodding about on a bike for entertainment). The low up-front cost means it won't cost a fortune to try it out even if you end up hating it (talk to your mates, one of them is bound to have bought a bike on the "bike-to-dole" scheme and not used it). If you're one of the half-dozen people with a job in Ireland then you might be able to use the "bike to work" scheme yourself and let a mate scab a bike of you in the future :)

If you're still set on transporting batteries around the countryside for sport then try the lads at Greenaer, they'll tell you about decent e-bikes and possibly let you have a go on one.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Why an electric bike?

I've no experience of them, but there are so many different types and configurations of unpowered bikes available, I always wonder what's the point of an electric bike.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,539 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    I always wonder what's the point of an electric bike.
    I would like to think that it's something I could be riding around on in 40 years or so ....

I do think it's something that people may wish to consider as they get older, particularly as they lose climbing ability - it would allow you to continue getting the benefit of the exercise without having to worry too much about getting over the hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

@beasty - that's a good point - but presumably you'll be retired so you can plan routes with no hills!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,539 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    @beasty - that's a good point - but presumably you'll be retired so you can plan routes with no hills!!!
    Yeah, but then as senility sets in I'll forget where I was supposed to be going ...

Anyway, my mind's made up - that's what I want for my 100th birthday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

I do think it's something that people may wish to consider as they get older, particularly as they lose climbing ability - it would allow you to continue getting the benefit of the exercise without having to worry too much about getting over the hills

I'd fit into the above category. One of my favorite places is Clontarf but i also like going up to the summit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

one in every two bikes sold in China is electric! :eek:

Is there anyone on here that actually owns an electric bike.?
    I'd like to hear from anyone, good or bad experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

cipro 55 wrote: »

I doubt it. Can't stress how life changing getting a normal road bike for me was. Within 6 months lost 2 stone in weight, and all the benefits that come with that. My advice, get a road bike, join a cycling club and get fit. You will not regret it. Commute to work save a fortune on petrol/busfare. It will take over your life but your not allowed to talk about that here:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

I don't own one.

But, on holiday in Switzerland last summer, I did have a fabulous day out cycling with my parents, a day which would not have been nearly as much fun (or even possible) had they not rented electric bikes.

Cycling is fun and sociable, regardless of the physical effect involved.

I'm a big fan of electric bikes. I hope to be lucky enough to use one at some stage ... some years from now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

I used a Danish Promovec for a few weeks.
    When you go up a hill it's the same effort as cycling on level ground. You don't feel tired or break a sweat but you have to keep pedalling to make it go - it's not a scooter.

I think it's ideal for someone who isn't fit enough for the effort of hill climbing but wants to enjoy an easy cycle. There is no tax or insurance. You can detach the battery and charge it at home or at work like a phone. I charged it once a week.

I got it from Greenaer (off Pearse Street). The staff there are very helpful and will rent you one for the day to try it out. They sell high quality bikes from €1,000-€2,000.

In the end I chose a regular Dutch bike from the same shop, so I could get some exercise and also as it was a few hundred euros cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Just read this article - http://www.seattleelectricbike.net/_blog/Seattle_Electric_Bike_-_Adventures_of_the_Electric_Bike_Guy/post/Outside_Magazine_on_Electric_Bicycles/

I like the idea of them, it makes cycling more accessible to people who want to commute by bike but who aren't big into fitness. More bikes on the road means its safer too as people in cars pay more attention to cyclists. Although I think having a load of these on the road could be hazardous, they go fairly fast and I could imagine accidents involving other cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Just read this article - http://www.seattleelectricbike.net/_blog/Seattle_Electric_Bike_-_Adventures_of_the_Electric_Bike_Guy/post/Outside_Magazine_on_Electric_Bicycles/

I like the idea of them, it makes cycling more accessible to people who want to commute by bike but who aren't big into fitness.

They certainly make a lot of sense somewhere hilly and hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Meant to comment on this when it was posted. I have an electric bike and use it every day.

There are a lot of "theories" from people who haven't used them and think it is a lazy option. The reality is it makes a lot of sense as a commuting option. You have all the hassles of any other cyclist on the road but it doesn't take as much strain. It still takes effort and the motors are capped at 25km/h. Most you will not be able to cycle over that but there are a number of different drive systems and the crnak system allows you to cycle faster quite easily. Front drive has a tendency to slip and rear drive is the most common.

They are mas produced now. The only advice I would say is do not buy the cheap Chineese imports such as CIE bikes. Unreliable non standard parts make the cheap cost suddenly redundant.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/ has pretty much all the information you need.

I love my bike it is just so handy. As you start at the same speed every time stopping and starting in traffic is actually quite easy so in lots of ways it is safer. Breaks wear down a bit quicker and apparently chain replacement is normally needed at some point. I get about 90k from a full charge.

RAY PALMER

What make of bike do you have.?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It still takes effort and the motors are capped at 25km/h. Most you will not be able to cycle over that....

Most people are well able to cycle over 25km/h. I'm not taking issue without bike or its advantages, just that assertion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Most people are well able to cycle over 25km/h. I'm not taking issue without bike or its advantages, just that assertion.
    He means that the electric assist will stop if your speed goes over 25km/h; this is how the bikes are designed. There are ways around this through modifications.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    He means that the electric assist will stop if your speed goes over 25km/h; this is how the bikes are designed. There are ways around this through modifications.

That's what I took it to mean too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I have a Gepida Nedao
    http://www.gepida.de/eng-deu/product/bike/2012_nedao_yamaha/

Generally you can't pedal over the 25km becasue the pedals kind of dis-engage. So effectively your cycling doesn't do anything. There are mods that can be done but then you are no longer cycling a legal bike. It is then classed as a motor bike with insurance etc. needed.

3 of us got them in work all different models and makes. Giant do a good one. The cheeper models definitely seem to have issues with reliability.

These are really the way forward and expect to see more and more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Junior Jacon Jeese Jurger

You proabaly wouldn't spend 10k on one but the lads here might like a look at Stealth bikes. Had a go on the bomber model in Switzerland at the DH championships a while back. Thing does 80km/h

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

the Stealth has a 4.5kW motor. Going over 250W turns it into a motorbike.

I like these ones : 4054_210505124643.jpg

Schwinn Stingray with 1000W rear motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That's what I took it to mean too.
    He's not saying the average cyclist can't ride faster; he's saying the bike won't go faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Generally you can't pedal over the 25km becasue the pedals kind of dis-engage. So effectively your cycling doesn't do anything. There are mods that can be done but then you are no longer cycling a legal bike. It is then classed as a motor bike with insurance etc. needed
    Depending on how it's done, it only becomes a motorbike if the engine propels you over 25km/h. If you can pedal faster than 25km/h on the bike without assistance, then it's still just a bicycle.

But obviously if the pedals cut out at 25km/h, there's not much you can do about it.

And I love every mile on it and cars just seem so boring now. Superb for getting around town, and makes you never want to sit in traffic again. They are also great for the leisurely ride in the countryside.

forget about kenbay bikes and the likes they are boring legal and limited to 250 watts and are expensive and some legal bikes use really bad batteries that give e.v's a bad name.

You can build a good commuter bike that does 30 mph for about 1000-1200 Euro's by converting your own mountain bike. Hydraulic disk brakes are a must!

You need to modify your rear dropouts so the motor axel doesn't spin or it will break your wires and possibly severely injure you! You need torque plates (arms)

A 48 volt 20ah LiFeP04 will cost about 545 Euro's shipped from China, if customs get you it could be more! it has 960 watt hours and you will consume at least 20-25 per mile at 25 mph, so giving you a range of about 35-40 miles at about 20-25 mph, fast enough in Dublin city, and most towns. You could use a 15ah battery for less money.

These batteries have about 1000 cycles+ at full charge discharge and 2000 at about 50%. So 30 miles at 1000 cycles is 30,000 miles. Calander life is unknown yet but it's expected 5 years + life.

This is where it gets complicated, batteries have a discharge rate referred to as "C" rate meaning how many amps you can pull from the battery, so the above mentioned battery is a 20 ah battery with a C rating of 2 meaning you can continuously pull 40 amps, it's cycle life is rated at 1000 cycles at 1 C meaning 20 amps continuous!

My battery is lipo chemistry and not recommended for beginners and not plug and play charge and forget, but it's capable of really high power, from the little 60 volt 10ah ah pack I can pull 100 amps + continuously, obviously that would run it down quickly, but just used as an example because the amount of current you pull from the battery decides the torque or acceleration of the bike, the voltage being the top speed.

Lead acid batteries, please forget about them, they are completely unsuitable for e.v use and not even worth talking about!

I can recommend suppliers of motor kits and batteries because I have a lot of experience in this area and have made many mistakes with buying cheap useless kit that costs a lot more in the end to put right.

The motor kit would cost another 400-500 Euro's. There is another lad in China selling good quality kits and is highly reliable and respected on the endless-sphere.com forum.

It is an expensive hobby but it is a hell of a lot of fun and I don't go to pubs and prefer to spend my hard earned on something constructive that I can have fun with.

You need to be good with soldering and electrics, if not forget it, most of these kits don't come with instructions!

I don't condone breaking the law, and what you do you accept the consequences, currently the law allows only 250 watts and 15 max mph, the E.U is considering making the power unlimited and keeping the 15 mph limit, this means for larger people or steep hills the 250 watt limit is useless and so you are allowed to use a more powerful motor.

I ride my bike within the rules of the road, these bikes attract a lot of attention and it's won't be long before the law catches on if people act the idiot. I don't attract unwanted attention by acting the idiot!

Check out www.endless-sphere.com and educate yourself, it's a very good and addictive site

Opps sorry about the link, I'll probably get a slap for that ?

But giving my location I've noting to do with this company as they are Australian

But anyway for those not capable of building their own you can buy these, probably the best on the market, fully assembled and a lot of fun, they have a cheaper version called the fighter!

You can import them. Cost estimated 7000 Euro's ? but something you would have for many many years!

This motor is capable of 40 mph on 60 volts and is crazy fun, it has gears for greater efficiency, but less reliable at 3500 watts! :D 2kw max it should be ran at! :)

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa336/o00scorpion00o/Lecky/MacCompressed.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa336/o00scorpion00o/Lecky%20Pics/2011-10-19133716.jpg

I don't have a pic of the motor I've on the bike now, but it's a lot larger and can take a lot of power, it can dissipate heat a lot better but isn't as efficient and only goes 30 mph max compared to 40 for my geared motor for the same 60 volts!

2011-10-19133716.jpg

2011-10-19133745.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

You need to be good with soldering and electrics, if not forget it, most of these kits don't come with instructions!

Would love one of those fast motors but no good with soldering and all that.
    What do you think of this bike Mad Lad?

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/e-bike/e-bike/eCross.php?lang=EN

Sorry for jumping in here cipro 55.

• Advertisement

boc121 wrote: »

They look good, but I bet they would be very expensive. Can you see a price?

Their full suspension bikes look good, but you are paying for it looking nice too!

You are still limited to 250 watts, even 500 watts makes a big difference if you aren't used to power.

I'll pm you a link to a Chinese site that sells motor kits, I think if you ask him he will ship it that all you got to do is plug in the wires, he makes excellent batteries, they are expensive but he has a terrific reputation on the endless-sphere forum and I can certainly vouch for him!

He makes batteries that mount in the frame and are highly recommended, just make sure it will fit!

All that you need to do is install motor, controller, throttle and electric brake lever if you want, you can convert any decent quality mountain bike.

You just need to make or get someone to make strong torque arms or plates to stop the axle spinning, that is essential.

Most important is go to the endless-sphere forum and do your research for a couple of months before you part with cash.

Sending p.m

boc121 wrote: »

BOC 121
    Your more than welcome.

I just bought one of these and i'm more than pleased with it.

http://activesport.co.uk/shop/article_2011%25200749720-001/Giant-Escape-Hybrid-2W-Womens-2011-Electric-Bike.html?sessid=FRymB2YqlcVmBV05FG5EFDW9rMnIGUwDgeM0Cv5tYzFHIotvPfeBvzsFVqJjIKSY&shop_param=cid%3D2301%26aid%3D2011%25200749720-001%26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Looking at getting one of these under the B2W scheme. From the reviews all over the net it seems fine, cheap enough too. My route will be 10kms one way, fairly flat with only one real hill that's very small. I'm 32, near enough 200lbs and have just gotten rid of the car. I know it's a woman's bike but I hate mountain and road bikes, they're very uncomfortable for me as I'm 5'5"

Opinions?

Your height shouldn't really be that big a deal comfort-wise unless you've always ridden bikes that are too big for you.

I wouldn't write off a commuter hybrid - basically a road/mountain bike mix. Something like this is nice and cheaper than the electric cost. It's essential that you get to ride the bike before buying it, otherwise you can find it's not comfortable.

Nothing specifically against electric bikes - they get people onto two wheels, and that's a good thing. But check reallyunique's first reply in this thread as to why most people recommend getting an unpowered bike unless you have a specific injury which prevents you from turning the pedals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hmm. Maybe I should borrow a bike off someone and try commuting for a few days. Have to find one the right size though.

Confab wrote: »
    Hmm. Maybe I should borrow a bike off someone and try commuting for a few days. Have to find one the right size though.
    That's really key - I just realised I linked to a women's bike above, but you can get men's bikes in small sizes. There's no huge difference between men's and women's bikes - women's tend to just have a shorter reach, which is probably more comfortable for most people regardless.

Only problem is that most shops will have to order small men's sizes in, they'll probably not have one on the floor.

Borrowing a bike to commute in is a great idea, but if you go borrowing a bike from someone who's 5'10", you will not be comfortable.

If you're not limited to Halford's for the bike to work scheme, call into a proper bike shop to discuss it with them. They should be able to give you a test spin on a suitable sized bike.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Looking at getting one of these under the B2W scheme. From the reviews all over the net it seems fine, cheap enough too. My route will be 10kms one way, fairly flat with only one real hill that's very small. I'm 32, near enough 200lbs and have just gotten rid of the car. I know it's a woman's bike but I hate mountain and road bikes, they're very uncomfortable for me as I'm 5'5"

Opinions?

200 watts is the U.K legal ridiculously low specification and probably thought up to keep everyone driving cars as the U.K is another rip off fuel tax state!!!

That type of bike is what you are looking for that is reasonably comfortable, but the quality of the bike itself wouldn't be great.

I would go with a good 2nd hand bike and convert it yourself, I can P.M you the details of a man in China that sells very good quality motor kits. His batteries are expensive but I can P.M you the details of another Chinese man who makes good quality batteries.

These are highly reputable people and have very good reputations in the diy electric bike community and I can vouch for them too.

People think I'm crazy because I spent over 1200 Euro's on converting my bike, however my bike is the extreme, and does 40 mph with crazy acceleration and the batteries are far from diy as they need constant monitoring of each 32 cells. You don't need to spend such money.

I just calculated the battery that would meet your needs best is This

36V 15ah
    Weight: 5.6 kg / 12.3 lbs
    Size: 225x105x150 mm / 8.9x4.1x5.9 inches
    1000 Complete empty to full cycles. so 20 miles x 1000 charges =20k miles!!!

Cost inc shipping from China =427 Euro's you may or may not escape import tax.

That will give you an Idea of the best available battery at this point in time. The best battery cells us D.I.Y people can't get because the companies will only release them to electric car battery makers. And they are super good!

A really good quality motor kit will cost you 290 Euro's inc shipping from china, it will give you about 20-22 mph in a 28" wheel. You need torque arms or plates to re-enforce the rear dropouts so the axle doesn't spin!

So the above kit would cost you about €717 Euro's in total. You will need some kind of bag for the battery and I use a topeak bag, it slides on and off, very handy.

It's not cheap, but those batteries are generations beyond what most E-bike manufacturers will sell you and the motor kits are miles better too.

I think you will get a decent quality 2nd hand bike for about 300 Euro's or less.

In total a really fantastic E-bike setup will cost you only 200 Euro's more than the Halfords bike.

If you want take the Halfords bike for a spin and if you like it then buy it, I'm just reading the reviews and people are happy with it and that's the important thing.

You must find out the battery warranty as I see no details on chemistry used, get a detailed warranty on paper and exactly what it covers. There should be a minimum of 2 years warranty on it before reduction in range happens, but most important is charge it every time after a ride and don't run it down until it turns off!!! The above battery from China should last several years!!!

Take a look at my pics, that's the motor kit from china and the silver box on the rear rack is the controller. The battery is in the topeak bag and is half the size of the bag and can take me 100 miles if I pedal a lot!

The halfords bike has no throttle so the motor is on all the time as you pedal where my bike I can pedal unassisted and use the throttle when I choose which is by far the best way of doing it, but the European gobs**tes decided no throttle!

People laughed at me when I said I want to loose weight by cycling with this bike, but I showed them and lost 2 stone last year. 10-20 miles a day mostly doing the work myself makes a huge difference. They don't laugh any more!

But your 20Km commute is going to be a lot easier with some assistance, and if you have a bike that you know won't be a pain to cycle then you will use it more and more as you get fitter. Even throw it in the car and go for a good spin down the country somewhere. I still believe throttle only power is much better because you decide when and how much assistance you require.

It's a terrible shame Ireland has no bikes trails and that farmers own so much of our Island, every bit of land is fenced off and you have no access to anything, no parks no forrest nothing for the people and the few that are there usually have no bikes allowed signs, that's why I love Germany so much, I can go out my Girlfriends back driveway and have to think of which trail I will go today. In Ireland you have to think which broken road is the safest today! Shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/twist.express/9327/49854/

Didn't have time to read all the post so apologies if someone posted this already, had the 2011 version of this bike for about six months, the old man got it on the bike to work scene, but was taken ill for a while so I had a long time lend,

This bike is sensational, it really is a fine piece of technology, even fine to cycle without any power, a little heavy but not the end of the word if the battery were to die mid trip, very comfortable,

Haven't experienced any other e-bikes, so can't give a critique grounded in contrast and comparison, but I would heavily recommend at very least taking a look at one of these!

I feel like I'm not doing it any justice with this short post,

Snako wrote: »
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/twist.express/9327/49854/

Didn't have time to read all the post so apologies if someone posted this already, had the 2011 version of this bike for about six months, the old man got it on the bike to work scene, but was taken ill for a while so I had a long time lend,

This bike is sensational, it really is a fine piece of technology, even fine to cycle without any power, a little heavy but not the end of the word if the battery were to die mid trip, very comfortable,

Haven't experienced any other e-bikes, so can't give a critique grounded in contrast and comparison, but I would heavily recommend at very least taking a look at one of these!

I feel like I'm not doing it any justice with this short post,

The Giant can only be better quality than a Halfords bike. I'm sorry I bought it and it wasn't cheap, again the specs of the battery don't tell the chemistry used. Some might last 6 or 7+ years and others 2 years

I could have got a much better one 2nd hand and converted that.

The only thing missing on road bikes is the lack of front suspension, while some are dirt cheap and useless. It makes a big difference on bad roads.

I need it going over 30mph without suspension is a bad idea! :D

I prefer mountain bikes for strength and I always get re-enforced rims, helps here with the bad roads.

I'm still a big believer that throttle only power is far better as you use the assistance when you want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Hi Mad_Lad I have been following this thread with interest. Would you consider doing a sideline in a private bike conversion, cash waiting ;) I am looking at the Storck multitask, it retails at 2900 sterling! Reckon your way could get a whole lota bike for that.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Hi Mad_Lad I have been following this thread with interest. Would you consider doing a sideline in a private bike conversion, cash waiting ;) I am looking at the Storck multitask, it retails at 2900 sterling! Reckon your way could get a whole lota bike for that.

That would build you some power machine alright! :D

You can go way over budget, so think about the maximum amount you are willing to pay and stick to it!

I can surely do a conversion for you, but you got to appreciate the time involved in custom bike building, putting together, sourcing parts etc.

You need someone good with metal work to make you plates to re enforce your rear dropouts, I don't have the tools for that. It's essential !

But pm me what you got in mind and I'll see what I can come up with that best meets your needs. Just remember going 20 mph is as thrilling as going 30, and more relaxing too! :D

More speed means more money and your bike must be up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Velo

I have dealt with Kenbay in Tallaght, bought a bike there a few weeks ago. All I can say is good luck to you and I hope you have a lot of patience. I got the bike under the cycle to work scheme (at a cost of €1,000), they took three weeks from the day I gave them the voucher to hand over the bike, and only then after I'd complained to the scheme operator, who intervened. Had a problem with the brakes which put the bike off the road, brought it back on Monday last and in spite of promises to return it on Tuesday, I haven't seen it since nor been contacted by them. So here I am with the Easter Bank Holiday stretching out in front of me, and no bike. My advice? Look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sheila Ahern

Does anyone know where I could get a new battery for an

eZee TorQ electric bike

They are really expensive from any of the dealers

I have seen on line and all come from the UK or US .

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sheila Ahern

eZee TorQ electric bike

Thanks

eZee TorQ electric bike

Thanks

Hi Sheila,

Have you tried to get one from wherever you bought it ?

How old is the bike ? the most you probably would have got from those batteries is 2 years.

There are alternatives, but require rewiring and possibly mounting the battery on the rear rack. You would need a new charger too.

There are batteries you can get that will last 1000-2000 cycles, those older ezee batteries at best lasted 300-500 cycles.

But you are probably looking at getting them from the U.K or U.S, I would be shocked if a bike shop that sold it can not get you one!

Unfortunately the good batteries are being used in electric cars and almost impossible to get for electric bicycles!

The trick with these batteries is not running them completely flat and not leaving them unused for more than a month, and charge as soon as you can after every ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Potchumkin

Beasty wrote: »
    I would like to think that it's something I could be riding around on in 40 years or so ....

Precisely the reason I bought one - I have already gotten somewhat older. I bought a Ci-Ebike 3 weeks ago, I have used it for about 100Km. Battery suddenly died (naturally at furthest point from home). It had indicated 'full' when departing. I have given a 12 hour re-charge but I am still getting no indications from the controller. (2 lights on battery indicating. Green light on charger). Anyone out there with experience of a similar problem?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You can get this for €338.50 through sportsdirect.com using their 10% off bikes code and €1 delivery. Weighs 21kg!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Stepper-Folding-Electric-Black/dp/B007WOS2IO
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/e-co-electric-bike-933004

snubbleste wrote: »
    You can get this for €338.50 through sportsdirect.com using their 10% off bikes code and €1 delivery. Weighs 21kg!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Stepper-Folding-Electric-Black/dp/B007WOS2IO
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/e-co-electric-bike-933004

Those bikes wouldn't be the best, if you have hills they certainly wouldn't be great.

Best if you can find the Bosch bottom bracket drive bikes. More expensive though but massively better use of the measly legal 250 watts that's imposed on Europeans.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9xQeGAy47gRsAsbyqIqrCZ-gYKM9k3nPaYjPEcCk1_Nl00h770Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

...forget about kenbay bikes and the likes they are boring legal and limited to 250 watts and are expensive and some legal bikes use really bad batteries that give e.v's a bad name.

This is where it gets complicated

it'd certainly be complicated explaining to a judge why you think your bike is not a motorbike when it's not a pedelec either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

More expensive though but massively better use of the measly legal 250 watts that's imposed on Europeans

250W is more than the average power used on a typical Tour de France stage, and should be enough to sustain about 35kph on the flat even without domestiques.

Lumen wrote: »
    250W is more than the average power used on a typical Tour de France stage, and should be enough to sustain about 35kph on the flat even without domestiques.

Well it's the hills and or wind that matter more than flat terrain, obviously you don't really need much power on flat ground.

Even if 250 watts is enough on a typical tour de France stage, the average non drugged user doesn't want to feel that level of pain and so 250 watts might be good enough for a Pro but it will start to feel low power after a few kms up a steep kill.

There again through the bosch Bottom bracket drive it the most efficient way to use that tiny 250 watts of power as you use the bikes gearing and hence greatly increase efficiency where a hub motor will bog down and the power turn to heat, the Bosch (and similar) drives will happily go along pulling you up the hill by you selecting a lower gear.

Electric Bikes like that really help to get you fit or help you tackle the mountains with less pain but you still have to put in the effort.

Forget about cheap bad quality bikes with hubs.

Hubs are great when fed lots of power and in 20 inch rims. But you will be well outside the bicycle territory.

• Advertisement
Advertisement